Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Man gives little scrote a smack of a hurl and gets 4 year sentence?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,173 ✭✭✭mistersifter

I understand all that, but I don't think the picture you paint re waiting for the Guards and hoping in the meantime, is acceptable.

I don't blame them for that, but it is just not good enough and many unpalatable consequences flow from it. This being one case.

Correct again. That was my point also. It's a bloody sad state of affairs that the two choices you have when unlucky enough to be singled out by this type of vermin is

1. fight them and risk someone getting seriously injured or killed.

2. rely on police and a legal system that arent very reliable in these instances.

It's also just plain sad that these little kn*ckers seem to be everywhere and there's really not much you can do if they decide to target you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

Let’s cut to the chase here I think the lesson learned is you don’t so much as tap on the car of a guy whom is quite evidently tapped already himself because there may likely be no tapping out of that situation. Now let him pick up the pieces of his fragmented skull whilst the other guy picks up the soap

• Registered Users Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

Mr. Curtis erred in not having a sliothar I his hand and throwing it in the air as he pulled, once the ball was there it was a yellow at worst.
    His defence erred in not bringing up the possibility that his opponent might have been falling or maybe dipped into the challenge, it may have been an innocent mid height challenge that just went wrong.
    They all have plenty of time for reflection now anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,538 ✭✭✭jmreire

Bobblehats wrote: »
    Let’s cut to the chase here I think the lesson learned is you don’t so much as tap on the car of a guy whom is quite evidently tapped already himself because there may likely be no tapping out of that situation. Now let him pick up the pieces of his fragmented skull whilst the other guy picks up the soap

One possible positive outcome of this whole sorry business is that the scumbags will give the place a wide berth from now on..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,798 ✭✭✭Rezident

Running out of a house swinging a Hurley is not the way to handle a situation like that

Yes it is. Only language they understand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Heckler

There's a reason films like Death Wish, Law Abiding Citizen, Death Sentence, Harry Brown and any other myriad of revenge films are so popular. Fantasy.

People are sick and tired of scumbags having the run of everything with no help from the police or judiciary so when some vigilante takes the law unto themselves they are lauded.

Truth is that most behind a keyboard saying "I'd do the time if that was my daughter/mother/etc" wouldn't. Thats why we don't have murderers, rapists, child molesters etc being killed on courthouse steps.

Even if there was no sanction for such an action very few would go through it. Taking a life is a life long burden even if they may deserve it.

As for the fella with the hurl. He should have aimed lower. Broke the leg. If I was on that jury he'd be home free.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭1874

Grandeeod wrote: »
    Judges in Ireland live in a different world to most of us, hence the revolving door legal system when it comes to trash bags. It's not a recent thing either.

Since when? when did they realise this and start playing this game

Where does the self-defence arise? The young-lad missed. Grand, be angry, lose the rag. But don't fracture his skull. That's not self defence, that's just revenge. And tbh it's fairly brutal.

He missed, well thats all well and good saying it now, how would you feel about being surrounded by a gang of scumbags, thats a lot of potential for them to get into a frenzy and kill him, could get stabbed or kicked to death.
    Thats the problem, if someone is damaging your property, do you just take it and they will probably come back again and again, go out, annoyed and do nothing, well if youre angry enough and someone takes a swing at you, relying on them missing isnt grounds to defend the scum and attack the chap.
    Its unlikely he went out with the intention of caving his head in, scummer got what he deserved, death was too good for him, hopefully he is drooling witless right now and a burden to his family, see will he have 20 scummer mates hanging about too long. On the basis that the Gardai no matter how pissed at the system themselves, the judiciary which have abandoned decent people in favour of paying themselves out of our pockets, these people deserve nothing less than either get locked up or be taken on by vigilantes and have their legs broken.

JupiterKid wrote: »
    The criminal justice system in this country is clearly very dysfunctional. You hear of people with 100, 200+ convictions, often ones for serious assault and criminal damage, serving suspended or extremely light sentences and in and out like a revolving door.

It is clearly not working. I am a firm believer in rehabilitative justice but I can completely understand how people get frustrated when they see their property vandalised and stolen, their families and elderly relatives intimidated, their livelihoods under threat and decide to take the law into their own hands.

When my own car was broken into, hot wired, stolen from my place in 2010 and was found burnt out in Cherry Orchard I was very upset and angry and although I reported the crime and the Gardai were very helpful no-one was arrested and charged and I was told that in the extremely unlikely event that anyone was caught for the theft it would probably not result in a custodial sentence.

My late father and I used to argue over the justice system years back when he would point out that low life who had zero respect for law and order and the rights of others deserved to be marked for life as harsh measures in terms of retaliation and justice was the only language they understood and I would counter by arguing that a more constructive approach was better but I have increasingly come around to his reasoning as I believe there is just really no incentive for these scumbags - and yes, they are scumbags - to change their ways unless they are punished and that punishment meted out acts as a deterrent.

The judges who give out very lenient sentences for such crimes appear to be completely out of touch with the mood of the general public on this matter and it seems to me that it is very easy for people to take the moral high ground on criminality until they themselves or their family and loved ones are the targets of this criminal behavior.

But in their gated communities they very very rarely are.

Im a bit confused, you thanked the last post of the first page, post 15, I saw your username in there as there were not that many thanks and having seen the article, I decided to search for any comment on the article.

Quite the opposite. How many confrontational interactions would you say there are in Ireland every week -- take into account all of the drunken brawls that happen in cities and towns and villages and homesteads all across the country?

Would there be 3,000? 10,000 per week? I guess it depends on how you define 'confrontational'.

How many of those do you think end in a stabbing?

As it happens, we have the answer. Three. On average, three people in a land of about 4 million people are admitted to hospital every week with wounds inflicted by a knife

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/stabbings-seem-to-decline-despite-rise-in-knife-seizures-1.3920054

As the article says, that info is to be treated cautiously, but knife crime appears to be decreasing, according both to Gardaí and the HSE. This isn't London, where knife crime seems to be genuinely epidemic.

I don't understand why sometimes people insist that the world is such a dark and hostile place. I don't understand how these people ever manage to leave the house, or maybe they don't. The world is full of showers and streams, flowers and trees, beasts of the sky and of the land, creeping things, wide seas, fat hills, sunshine, starlight, small children, normal people, and - probably, most likely - nobody is going to stab you.

I would not rely on the stats provided by the organisations you mentioned, they clearly have no interest in fixing problems and very much have an interest in pushing the numbers down, ever tried to report a crime to the Gardai, id say the numbers of crimes reported, that actually get reported and taken down are a fraction of those that actually occur.

I had an experience with similar youths years ago. I was in my 30's.
    They picked on me, because I looked weak.
    Went on for years. The only thing they understand is having their head taken off their shoulders.
    Until one day, I randomly got a broken eye socket, waiting at the bus stop.
    Listen, the Gardai are useless. They said I must have provoked them. I got no justice.
    I rate Gardai on a par with refuse collectors.

I think that is very unfair, refuse collectors, do their job and cant really make excuses.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

votecounts wrote: »
    You can't go round hitting children regardless what they do. He should have known better

It's all well calling them "children" until they're in a group and they get brave. We know what these little ferals are capable of when they get like that. The only thing is he hit the fecker in the head which isn't the kind of damage you want to do it goes go too far on that part unless of course there was the threat to ones life, however the little bollocks would have deserved a broken arm or leg for it might've been a better way to get the point across.

Truthfully there's a serious imbalance in the justice system in this country as the ferals, scrotes and lowlifes tend to get rewarded far more than they should be, there needs to be a better balancing of things so those who are the instigators and cause this are properly punished not the normal law abiding types who far too often are getting left short by the system.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

Judge suggested he try talking to them and call the guards if that didn't work

Lol........

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

Rodin wrote: »
    Judge suggested he try talking to them and call the guards if that didn't work

Lol........

Yeah, these feckers dont respond to "talking" they only back down under the threat of a proper asswhooping.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,209 ✭✭✭shamrock55

Sorry to say he deserves that sentence, to strike someone in the head with a hurl your asking for ttouble

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

Infini wrote: »
    It's all well calling them "children" until they're in a group and they get brave. We know what these little ferals are capable of when they get like that. The only thing is he hit the fecker in the head which isn't the kind of damage you want to do it goes go too far on that part unless of course there was the threat to ones life, however the little bollocks would have deserved a broken arm or leg for it might've been a better way to get the point across.

Truthfully there's a serious imbalance in the justice system in this country as the ferals, scrotes and lowlifes tend to get rewarded far more than they should be, there needs to be a better balancing of things so those who are the instigators and cause this are properly punished not the normal law abiding types who far too often are getting left short by the system.
    exactly this, people who never been in such situations dont get it, theres no chit chat or debate talk, one has to prove a point and only way is by injury or force when it comes to scum.

Blow to the head would been to much but imagine tough gang act dropped fast. and would bet he didnt think or went easy either, but that **** only comes back once its done and over, as adrenaline rush blanks people out easily from any rational decisions, where to hit.

Since scum are used to people taking it but once they get to see reality they become minors and kids :cool: , sad part is, if it was weaker person news header would be some x person stomped near to death and few suspended penalties at best, then everyone would be macho and angry why society is full of scum and nothing is being done.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,101 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

scamalert wrote: »
    exactly this, people who never been in such situations dont get it, theres no chit chat or debate talk, one has to prove a point and only way is by injury or force when it comes to scum.

Blow to the head would been to much but imagine tough gang act dropped fast. and would bet he didnt think or went easy either, but that **** only comes back once its done and over, as adrenaline rush blanks people out easily from any rational decisions, where to hit.

Since scum are used to people taking it but once they get to see reality they become minors and kids :cool: , sad part is, if it was weaker person news header would be some x person stomped near to death and few suspended penalties at best, then everyone would be macho and angry why society is full of scum and nothing is being done.

they don't "become" minors or kids, they are minors and kids, by law, until they are the age of 18.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn II

they don't "become" minors or kids, they are minors and kids, by law, until they are the age of 18.

What’s your feeling on what should have happened here. Remember that 20 feral youths were intimidating an old couple.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,202 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

I'd have made sure he couldn't tell the story of it anyhow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

Instead of putting the guy in prison, his punishment should be to move to my estate and do community service as a hurling coach. Reduced sentence for good behaviour (knocking scrotes of scramblers, knocking out door kickers etc).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,226 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

he also apparently has a previous conviction for violent behaviour. so yes i would say threat to society as a whole rather then just scumbags.

I bet the little ****s didnt know that when they were picking his elderly parents' house to hassle.

I'm getting the impression some posters know what it is like to deal with these feral gangs and others don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭mcgucc22

I've always called it a hurley. In what part of the country do people call it a hurl?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,488 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

mcgucc22 wrote: »
    I've always called it a hurley. In what part of the country do people call it a hurl?
    Same where I grew up. 'Hurl' is what I'd associate with a dose of gastroenteritis.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

Definitely only ever heard it called a hurley in Cork. Might use the word hurl as a verb, like that was a good hurl down the pitch. But the stick is called a hurley.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,105 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

mcgucc22 wrote: »
    I'm from county Antrim and it's always been called a hurl here

• Registered Users Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

So the little c*nt was part of a group messing with this mans car and then he tried to lamp him with a plank but missed and got some of his own medicne.

This guy should be getting a medal not a jail sentence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Tasfasdf

So the little c*nt was part of a group messing with this mans car and then he tried to lamp him with a plank but missed and got some of his own medicne.

This guy should be getting a medal not a jail sentence.

+1

We need more of this so scum get a real wake up call. Hope he has permanent problems after this so he wont be retailating against your mans parents

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn II

We should remember how extreme this bullying can be.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/mother-killed-herself-and-daughter-in-car-fire-1789423.html

A single mother who was the focus of a sustained campaign of abuse from a gang of youths killed herself and her teenage daughter by setting her car on fire, an inquest heard yesterday.

In a campaign that lasted more than 15 years, youths pelted the house with flour, eggs and stones, urinated on the property and abused her children.

The court heard how the gang would shout vile abuse at her daughter, who had severe learning difficulties, and lock her son in a shed at knifepoint and beat him up with an iron bar.

That was in the U.K., and if they are not policing this we certainly aren’t.

The State not policing this kind of bullying in certain areas, allowing these areas to be overrun by teenage gangs (or worse adult criminal gangs) is a clear deriliction of its duty. The fact that this judge thinks that the gang could be reasoned with or that calling the guards would do anything at all shows the problem. To add insult to injury the appeal court increased the sentence because it thought the original judge was too lenient based on the circumstances. The court is saying, we aren’t going to protect you and you yourself definitely can’t protect you.

Of course were the judges house attacked by any kind of youth gang the police would turn up as fast as possible, actually do something and court cases would mean something.

It’s not surprising, with this judicial support for lawlessness for certain areas that people are turning to protection rackets.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,634 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

When your car is damaged and you're being hit over the head with a plank neither your car nor your head gives a sh1t that it was a 16 year old who did it. A sixteen year old can hit you just as dead. Never mind a large group of them. The sh1t brought it on himself. He started vandalising someone's property then raised the level to bodily harm. Now that he ended up on the receiving end I cant feel sorry for him at all. It was his action that lead to these events, nobody elses.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,101 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

The court is saying, we aren’t going to protect you and you yourself definitely can’t protect you.

no it isn't.
    it is saying one cannot engage in assalt.
    very simple stuff i would have thought.

It’s not surprising, with this judicial support for lawlessness for certain areas that people are turning to protection rackets.

there is no judicial support for lawlessness.
    judges can only operate within the laws they have been given, and they can only implement sentences within the rules they have been given.
    the people turning to "protection" rackets would likely do so anyway. the justice system is just a convenient excuse.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,236 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Older scum bag goes to jail for beating younger scum bag.

Win Win for all surely.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

Nice to see the scum come off worse for once. Hurley man should have got a suspended sentence. Reverse the roles and that would have been the outcome.

Sure if he’s not a hurley man he’s a knife man..

• Registered Users Posts: 21,096 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Nice to see the scum come off worse for once. Hurley man should have got a suspended sentence. Reverse the roles and that would have been the outcome.

Some people think that hurley man got the bad rap because of his previous criminal record.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭beejee

Too bad about the fractured skull, but I don't blame the hurley guy at all.

Every now and then a "hard man" picks on the wrong person and they get the comeuppance of their life.

Advertisement