Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The kickstarter adventures of Sólás - solaswatches.com

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭hammerdub

Thirdfox wrote:
    Thanks for all the feedback guys - I think personally I was looking at 5 but can understand how this actually might be something that works better in audio (when you can really hear the hope/excitement in the reviewer's voice - plus these quotes are in chronological order - so after hearing 1-4 and then 5 - it was just "wham - yeah he really gets what I'm trying to do".

I'd go 5,2,4. Great choices to have all extremely positive . Well done again TF

So is July 6th when we can purchase? How long for delivery etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

Delivery is expected in Jan/Feb 2021 - this takes into account of factory manufacturing, QC in China, shipping to Ireland, QC in Ireland and shipping out from Dublin.

I've left in some buffer for minor issues like some units may need sending back and so on. But you can't rule out massive changes like volcanic eruptions etc :D

As I said on a facebook group - if you need this watch for a wedding in February - I wouldn't back it - I can't guarantee it'll be in your hands then (and I've seen way too many Kickstarters get delayed). But I've tried to pick reliable business partners and correctly leave in a reasonable buffer time.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Am I just being thick? Can't find the Facebook page anywhere!

Thirdfox wrote: »
    Delivery is expected in Jan/Feb 2021 - this takes into account of factory manufacturing, QC in China, shipping to Ireland, QC in Ireland and shipping out from Dublin.

I've left in some buffer for minor issues like some units may need sending back and so on. But you can't rule out massive changes like volcanic eruptions etc :D

As I said on a facebook group - if you need this watch for a wedding in February - I wouldn't back it - I can't guarantee it'll be in your hands then (and I've seen way too many Kickstarters get delayed). But I've tried to pick reliable business partners and correctly leave in a reasonable buffer time.

Thanks- so will a deposit be required or the full price, come July 6th?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

I think this has all been answered in the thread already, but this is from kickstarter
    When is my card charged? If the project you're backing is successfully funded, your card will be charged when the project reaches its funding deadline. If the project does not reach its funding goal, your card is never charged.

So anywhere from very soon after launch if it's very popular, up to the length of the campaign.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,797 ✭✭✭✭banie01

antodeco wrote: »

There's a Facebook page?
    I know there's a web page, a Kickstarter info/notification page and an Instagram page.
    Did not know there was an FB page so that would be new to me.

Is there one?

antodeco wrote: »

There's no facebook page - rather I joined the League of Microbrands and Microbrand Watches groups - I don't think I have enough time to manage 2/3 social media avenues. Instead, by joining the group (which has 8,000 and 50,000 members respectively - you know your posts are seen by people who are super interested in microbrands already).
    Thanks- so will a deposit be required or the full price, come July 6th?

The full shebang will be required at the end of the campaign (if funded successfully)... it's the way Kickstarter operates - backers pay the whole thing over to the creator - who then uses those funds to pay the factory/leather maker/shipper etc. and gets the watches made.

In return - backers get a lower price than if you weren't paying all this before the product is made. i.e. once I reach the 394 limit - future "retail" versions (and pre-made ones) will be sold at €549 - I (honestly) doubt there will ever be €349 Sólás watches (not just the Starlight line) ever again being sold - but that's the whole point of Kickstarter - you're helping me "kickstart" my brand - I'm giving you a big discount over retail.

The reason I doubt there'll be €349 Sólás watches being sold is that I don't want to compete in that price arena - at that price point you're limited to 1) either make no/little profits (not do-able long term as a business plan or 2) picking generic things that plenty of other companies do already.

I want to be different... I want to have plenty more world first's too - my Chinese supplier said to me today after I relayed her the quotes from the review - she sees now that I have a different attitude than some of their other customers (they make 10,000 watches a month apparently pre-COVID) - when she comes back and says "engineer says it's not done like this often (or at all)" - I say "good - if it's done often I'm not interested in doing it" :D

So what I'm trying to do is eventually build up to the quality of the Swiss pieces, but at a price that doesn't need to account for their history/prestige (and backroom costs).

Put it this way - I plan to rival or outperform Omega's finishing with the next model - but I need funds and profits from the Starlight to do that.

edit: having a day job is a double edged sword - I can fund the Starlight R&D myself (though I would have loved to have a bigger budget - who wouldn't want a little bit more?) - but I was up until 6am 2 days ago trying to close off some deals with HK and Singapore on the line :D - it is something that I would ask backers for understanding on too - this price was set at a level that meant I need to work at my day job as a corporate lawyer - so I won't be available to backers 24/7 :)

OK- so what you're saying is- there's a "risk" that I pay my money, and don't get a watch at the end of it? Or have I read your above post wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,505 ✭✭✭VW 1

OK- so what you're saying is- there's a "risk" that I pay my money, and don't get a watch at the end of it? Or have I read your above post wrong?

That's the inherent risk of Kickstarter. But I'd be more than shocked if that was even remotely likely in this case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,530 ✭✭✭This is it

No, that's correct. Once he reaches the required backers on Kickstarter he receives the funds. There would be a risk, as with all projects, that some thing happens and the money is lost. The risk would depend on the project. Reading these threads I believe it's a case that if TF gets the required backers it's almost guaranteed that you'll receive a watch. All the research, prototypes, etc. are complete, all that's really left is the production of the watches. I say almost guaranteed because nothing in life is ever 100%.

At least that's my take on it, in layman's terms.

There's always that risk with kickstarter projects - the fundraising is used to finance manufacturing etc. You're getting in really early, so the price has to be appealing.

A quick google suggests that 1 in 10 campaigns fail to deliver, after having been funded. More here. That doesn't seem like a bad rate?

So whenever you're looking at a campaign, check out the details - if the person running the campaign has factored in and addressed the risks.

Technically there is a risk of that happening - because you aren't popping into a store and walking out with a watch. If the container ship of watches (or more likely DHL plane) develops a hole and the watches all fell out on the way over to Ireland you might have to wait until we do a second batch after insurance funds are claimed... if my factory partner takes the money and in the middle of this goes bankrupt then nothing might be recovered. So it's not a certainty or instant delivery service.

Now I can tell you I have vetted my factory partners (narrowing the field from around 10 considerations, to 3 shortlists and 2 sample production partners and 1 ultimate partner) but I can't guarantee you will get a watch unlike going into a boutique and buying something off the shelf.

Not trying to put you off - but it's the nature of pre-ordering - you can't be guaranteed you'll get exactly what you ordered (though I have performed due diligence and business risk analysis). Kickstarter also doesn't require creators to deliver exactly what was promised but to "try their best" to fulfil those goals - unscrupulous people can use that as a loophole to deliver some much less than what was promised. Scrupulous people sometimes mess up and can't deliver exactly what was promised either and try their best.

I think I have the business acumen to have covered off most foreseeable hiccups and have a plan C if things go wrong. I don't have a plan D however - so it's a matter of balancing the risk you're willing to take in backing a kickstarter vs. the benefits. If you prefer to wait until the watches are all made and pay me €549 that's perfectly fine too (though actually it will probably be €675 if selling within the EU with 23% VAT added). The Kickstarter has been designed that no VAT needs to be applied for the 394 watches I'm creating and it's at a discount that accounts for Kickstarter risk.

So the potential difference is between €349-399 EU/non-EU backers and €549 (non-EU) and €675 (EU) buyers.

Given the effort and candour TF has put into this watch.
    The efforts to fundraise on behalf of a charity that this thread had a huge part in selecting.

Given that there are prototypes, a strap maker and leather supplier all on board.
    There is a near zero chance of a backer not getting the watch, this isn't an aspirational piece of vaporware.

It's the culmination of a lot and engagement on TF's part, with the additional benefit of no middleman or translation issues between the creator, and the factory.

The chances of no watch are honestly IMO infinitesimal.

It's gotten to the point where despite my earlier thread flounce, and issues around "assemble" ;)

I'll probably very likely make a gowl out of myself and end up buying on Monday.

I've put a lot of typing, talking and thought into this thread...
    And I'd hate to miss out on a diamond :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭MAJJ

Do we get a notification on Monday to order?

I'll be reminding people here I'm sure ha - but yes if you're a follower already then you'll get a notification saying that the campaign has been launched once it launches.

There are only 20 super early birds and 25 early bird prices (€349 and €369 respectively) so if people want to take advantage of the extra, extra discount then you'd want to back early (you can always cancel a pledge if you want to back out before the campaign ends - someone else would be eligible to take your spot on the better price if they so wished). You'll always get a few people who cancel at near the end of the campaign for various reasons.

One thing I'd like to ask (but will be impossible to enforce I know) - is if you're considering getting the Starlight and flipping it for a potential profit (doesn't happen often with microbrands but I *think* the price point of Starlight is slightly different). I would ask that you leave the super early bird and early bird prices for people who genuinely want to own the watch. Not directed at you MAJJ(!) I just wanted to put it out there - will remind people again on Sunday.

349 is a really low price and I would really hope it goes to the people who support the watch and brand and not to people who are looking to make an extra €50 on flipping. At 399 - it's possible that people can still flip for a profit too (especially if Sólás only moves upwards up the price scale in the next few years) - so I'm asking to please leave the early bird prices to genuine buyers :)

Just realised my results are out on the 6th, if I finish the year above a 3.4, it's a sign I should buy a starlight then I suppose ;)

banie01 wrote: »
    Just realised my results are out on the 6th, if I finish the year above a 3.4, it's a sign I should buy a starlight then I suppose ;)

Out before 9:19am? You might not want to wait too long afterwards then...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,071 ✭✭✭dakar

I’ve been following this from the beginning. I hope TF forgives me in saying this is the most thoroughly researched and best executed vanity project I’ve ever seen. As in, the man asked ‘This is something I’d like to see on my own wrist, why can’t I buy it?’ and went and put time, effort and real money into making it happen.

I wish I had the energy and enthusiasm that he has had in following through on his desire in making this a reality.

I didn’t even know I ‘needed’ a dress watch (in fairness, none of my dive watches have gotten wetter than a heavy shower of rain), but I’ll be refreshing my email at 9:18 on Monday because I think this is something special, and I want one.

Out before 9:19am? You might not want to wait too long afterwards then...

Out at 9am.
    Definitely a sign

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭oxocube

Put it this way - I plan to rival or outperform Omega's finishing with the next model - but I need funds and profits from the Starlight to do that.

Please have a sports watch on your radar. I'd be all over it with multiple dial colours :cool:

dakar wrote: »
    I’ve been following this from the beginning. I hope TF forgives me in saying this is the most thoroughly researched and best executed vanity project I’ve ever seen. As in, the man asked ‘This is something I’d like to see on my own wrist, why can’t I buy it?’ and went and put time, effort and real money into making it happen.

A regular Elon Musk of the watch world (why can't rockets fly back down?) :D - without the twitter tantrums and weird naming of children... (big fan of Musk's vision of multi-planetary species - not big fan of him calling people pedos on twitter :rolleyes:)

I know Hangzhou are rather excited about this project - might put their micro-rotor on the map for all the microbrands now :) - but hey that's cool - let's see what other people can do with it. You only get to be first once though :D

oxocube wrote: »
    Please have a sports watch on your radar. I'd be all over it with multiple dial colours :cool:

Well why else was I exploring extension clasps etc.?

I got some feedback from some members on some plans - but things have moved on again from that - it was felt that it wasn't special enough - and yes - I'm currently in the design phase for something more special. Again funding is needed so the Starlight needs to succeed too :)

One titbit for doing R&D - it's $600 for a sample of X1 superluminova paint in a non-standard colour - and of course - only the highest quality will be used (X1 grade vs standard) for things I'm building.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,743 ✭✭✭micks_address

Well why else was I exploring extension clasps etc.?

I got some feedback from some members on some plans - but things have moved on again from that - it was felt that it wasn't special enough - and yes - I'm currently in the design phase for something more special. Again funding is needed so the Starlight needs to succeed too :)

One titbit for doing R&D - it's $600 for a sample of X1 superluminova paint in a non-standard colour - and of course - only the highest quality will be used (X1 grade vs standard) for things I'm building.

how many metres squared will the sample cover? usually i find the first coat takes more then the second coat doesnt use as much (from experience painting a wooden fence Tuesday)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭hitemfrank

That's the most opulent use of superluminova I ever heard of ;-)

how many metres squared will the sample cover? usually i find the first coat takes more then the second coat doesnt use as much (from experience painting a wooden fence Tuesday)

As much as you can spread 6 (or was it 10) grammes over... The Swiss know how to sell their goods that's for sure ;)

Funny you mention coats - because the strength of lume isn't magic - it's how many coats of lume you apply. Phoibos do 15 layers of X1 lume on theirs:
    https://phoiboswatch.com/products/phoibos-great-wall-500m-automatic-diver-watch-py022b-blue-limited-edition.html

And you'll see YouTube videos stating they even beat the old traditional lume monsters like Seiko Orange Monsters etc. oh and handily beats Rolex's chromalight too ;)

Someone pointed this subreddit out to me: https://www.reddit.com/r/****tykickstarters/ - I hope I never end up there (depression healing coloured mug? :o )

In more relevant news - we've hit 222 followers - meaning technically we have enough people (if followers change to backers) to ensure the project gets funded now.

And promotion has started in China now too - rather than shipping the watches all the way to Ireland to get straps added to be shipped back to China I might be shipping some straps over to Beijing and complete "assembly" there :pac:

Will you distribute to any other countries from here?

It's all from here (China is the only one I'm considering doing it from China) - since my workstation etc. is all in Ireland.

It's also why there are VAT considerations for future deliveries.

• Advertisement

How did you organise shipping from here by the way? I've found it a complete arseache trying to arrange insured shipping of watches.

Advertisement