Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The kickstarter adventures of Sólás - solaswatches.com

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

Just curious really, I'm not too familiar with Kickstarter but the "magic" 50% funded mark has been mentioned a few times as crucial for making the project more visible and attract others etc

What's to stop you pledging the X amount needed to make it to 50%, then withdrawing if it brings in the new backers you hope it will? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,998 ✭✭✭893bet

Is it worth a few backing to push it over 50......they can back out when it’s at 60 and getting promoted....

maximoose wrote: »
    Just curious really, I'm not too familiar with Kickstarter but the "magic" 50% funded mark has been mentioned a few times as crucial for making the project more visible and attract others etc

What's to stop you pledging the X amount needed to make it to 50%, then withdrawing if it brings in the new backers you hope it will? :pac:

Ha great minds think alike.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭longshotvalue

Great review. I think while everything else about the watch is great, dial, movement, size I think the indices and hands just don't look right. I know there's been tweaks from preproduction models but when I look at the watch I don't go that looks class. I know it's absolutely personal opinion when it comes to looks. Everything else is spot on. As a buyer of a watch most people are probably sold on the looks. If you don't like the hands and indices then no amount of awesomeness in the dial or movement or case design will sway you. I don't want to sound negative as I know the huge amount of effort must have went into this endeavor. I had backed Monday but missed out on early bird having to enter card details..I wasn't put off by the next tier pricing but I asked myself why was I backing and it's mostly cause it's a great story and following the thread here. I don't think I actually like the look of the front of the watch. Dont get me wrong if I see you are one buyer short come august I'll probably back.

I hope it does go over the line cause it's great to have a local interest story.

Thanks,
    Mick

Id have a similiar opinion, not that id know much, but it love it to be nearly all dial, with slim hands and numbers. Its a lovely design all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

Well I think if one person suddenly throws in 7.5 grand for 20 watches it would raise a few eyebrows amongst people.

If people wanted to support the project by pledging initially and then deciding if they want to keep their pledge coming up to 60-70% funded that would certainly be an option too. I think for me to suggest something like what has been suggested above (in terms of making pledges with a view to backing out later) might be seen as dishonest by some. If people want to do it of their own volition however well I would even be appreciative of the gesture too.

@Mick - I think it's a catch 22 situation - if I'm just missing one backer at the end it's generally not going to be the case - rather the effect of backers piling in at the start is the main thing - it's a psychological thing for others too - if they see a sad campaign stuck at 40% 3rd parties may not be inclined to back compared to say if it was already at 70% etc. So people backing at the start has a huge effect in terms of whether the campaign is ultimately successful or not I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭tobdom

Thirdfox wrote: »

Great review, and this is a great finishing line..... "hopefully we get to see more versions of this movement in the beautiful Sólás case, they have an amazing canvas so they just need to keep painting"

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 2,151 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

Another excellent review :cool:

I think I if anyone is on the fence then they should just commit now. Perhaps when it is 70 percent funded they can withdraw and the project may have the momentum to get over the line on its own.

Even if it’s a no. And you know you don’t want one. Sign up for the week! And withdraw at a later date.

Your card is not charged until the campaign is over! So there is 4 weeks to withdraw from it!

893bet wrote: »
    Even if it’s a no. And you know you don’t want one. Sign up for the week! And withdraw at a later date.

Your card is not charged until the campaign is over! So there is 4 weeks to withdraw from it!

5 weeks now - KS have made a change as a result of COVID19 that you can request for a 7 day extension... I have taken it as...well I've put down $700 for an ad spot in ABlogtoWatch in August and so need to give the ad time to be seen by people who may be interested in aventurine/micro-rotors.

Putting money where my mouth is and committing to the dream I guess - let's hope that $700 ($2.3 per word :pac: ) pays off.

I don't see it as throwing good money after bad if we can convince enough people to take it up - when the ABTW ad comes out there'll still be 10 days before the campaign finishes.

I've done some contingency Y and Z planning too - but let's hope it doesn't come to that.

Oh and some boardsies have already seen my ads on facebook/instagram already apparently - so it's working at least - (11,000 people seen, 380ish clicked through the link).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

when the ABTW ad comes out there'll still be 10 days before the campaign finishes.

That may not be a bad thing at all, it may get people off the fence one way or the other, if they know time is running out.

I still think the earlier idea of adding another tier above the main one is worth considering too.

I think that is too late to consider now because all the reviewers have said it's 349-399 etc. - so if people go on to KS and see a new tier I can imagine that the outrage that would ensue :o !

A new tier could be created for greater than 200? I.e of funding goes over your requirement?

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭hammerdub

Don't know how other Kickstarters work, if they start changing prices or tiers if backers are slow to invest. I think you have to have confidence in what you have done, and stick to your guns and not be looking like your panicking to get the funds you need by moving the goalposts at this stage. Leave thing as they are its on a small difference in the early bird to the £399 price. Keep up the good work.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,526 ✭✭✭This is it

I wouldn't be changing pricing now, or adding more tiers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭FFVII

yea, I was fairly miffed when I got home from work on day 1 and saw it 50 quid more than it was a few hours earlier.

Temporary blip though, leave things alone.

I was 86 percent buyer, I'll be back.

Only watch ive ever had is a garmin but ive been tempted for this since day 1. Mr Average here, I'd say theirs lots like me.

FFVII wrote: »
    yea, I was fairly miffed when I got home from work on day 1 and saw it 50 quid more than it was a few hours earlier.

Temporary blip though, leave things alone.

I was 86 percent buyer, I'll be back.

Only watch ive ever had is a garmin but ive been tempted for this since day 1. Mr Average here, I'd say theirs lots like me.

Hey FFVII does that mean you're currently not signed up at any level? In which casw I would encourage you to sign up at the 399 level and see if a spot opens up later at one of the other tiers.

It would really help the campaign to get people signed up at the beginning and as 893 rightly states - there is absolutely no danger of being charged until the very end of the campaign so people are free to chang their minds. But having people signed up at the beginning is key and that's why I'd ask people who are interested to sign up asap (so we can try and build momentum rather than stagnate at one level).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

I had been holding off but signed up to back the project just now. Simple process really.

As a consideration.....

If someone happen to have a second credit card. And second email address. It would be easy to back a second time. And easy back out at a later date should you wish.

Just saying.....50-60 percent pushes the thing on.....it would be a shame to see this not realised when you see some of the rebadged Russian and alliexpress stuff that is.

Just a thought I had.....

Oh it would be even simpler than that - just add on a 349/369/399 amount onto your existing pledge as that would increase the amount pledged - I understand the main metric KS looks at is funding % of goal - not necessarily amount of backers (I'm sure that matters too but it's heavily weighted towards % of goal). So one backer could increase the pledge amount (btw this is what you would do if you want a second Starlight etc. at your current pledge tier as some people do).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Oh it would be even simpler than that - just add on a 349/369/399 amount onto your existing pledge as that would increase the amount pledged - I understand the main metric KS looks at is funding % of goal - not necessarily amount of backers (I'm sure that matters too but it's heavily weighted towards % of goal). So one backer could increase the pledge amount (btw this is what you would do if you want a second Starlight etc. at your current pledge tier as some people do).

Done!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,526 ✭✭✭This is it

Bumped mine up

What's the importance of the 50% funding level that's been mentioned a few times?

It's when KS starts seeing your campaign as viable and starts promoting it to people browsing the website. People also tend to back things that look like they will be successful.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,071 ✭✭✭dakar

Done

This is it wrote: »
    Bumped mine up

and me

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Dev1234

Order doubled last night

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1653000825013706/ - a friend told me about this group - now I'm not allowed to self-promote but if others are willing could they let the WIS there know about an affordable micro-rotor watch with aventurine that's out on KS?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,796 ✭✭✭✭banie01

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1653000825013706/ - a friend told me about this group - now I'm not allowed to self-promote but if others are willing could they let the WIS there know about an affordable micro-rotor watch with aventurine that's out on KS?

NVM ;) read the join group terms :)

• Advertisement

Rule 1: Any business post must be approved by Admin or Mods and offer discount to Group
    If you want to post your business and offer products for sale, you must get approval from Admin or Moderators and you muyst offer discount exclusive to this group!

So it's not offering your business for sale - it's about discussing an interesting kickstarter project that is currently ongoing (if you really find it interesting) - I can't offer a discount exclusive to any group so that rules out me applying directly to the mod/admins.

Advertisement