Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The kickstarter adventures of Sólás - solaswatches.com

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

Wibbs wrote: »
    Not a shock really tbh. The Chinese have created some of the finest metalwork in human history and some of the earliest too. The "Made from the finest Chinesium" cheap tat expectation is only about 40-50 years old as they started to export cheap goods to the West in the 1970's.

Well fine porcelain was so fine that it was just called china :D - the history of Chinese watches however isn't so resplendent seeing as the main factories were set up in the communist era - so the Tongyi Jixin (unified/standard) movement was built to be a workhorse in line with ideology.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinese_standard_movement - it's actually the same movement you find in those $20-30 aliexpress watches nowadays - there's nothing wrong with the movement btw - it functions great and I'm sure you can probably get it to COSC specs too but the factories building it for $20 watches don't care about exact QC etc.
    dudeeile wrote: »
    I honestly prefer the internals in silver, is the gold colour standard now? The front face is looking sweet.

No no - the gold one is 1 of 2 being built - one for charity, one for myself.

The KS version is the one you saw in those professional photos (though the rotor probably changes back to the straight line version and laser engraving rather than pad printing - like in the video reviews seen).

This gold version is more a "statement of intent" - of what Sólás wants to do in the future if we can establish ourselves as a brand and get more funding to do so - that's why I'm calling it a "halo piece".

It's not necessarily gold colour that Sólás wants to go with - but that I want the brand to be offering great value compared to great Swiss movements/watches - not competing against great/affordable Japanese watches/movements. Heated blued screws, anglage and chatons (perhaps) - in the next model is what I'm thinking of - ambitious yes, especially since Starlight at its current price didn't rocket away this time round. There's a clear idea for how I want the brand to progress though. Like I said previously - one day I would love for a (relatively) affordable Sólás repeater or perpetual calendar to be made available to the public - that's the market I want to target (it might be too niche however - let's see!) Is an "affordable repeater" an oxymoron :pac:?

Interesting point about marketing it as a Chinese watch or Irish watch - I truly feel Irish and want to bring business into Ireland - I'm not trying to hide the vast majority of manufacturing is taking place in China though - the brand itself is Irish, with the story of Yu Ming etc. - I want to promote Irish too (Gaelige that is) - so there's a core brand reason for it being a very Irish (made in China) watch. I honestly don't feel it to be a "Chinese watch" which is why it isn't marketed as such.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Cyclingtourist

Thirdfox wrote: »

Interesting point about marketing it as a Chinese watch or Irish watch - I truly feel Irish and want to bring business into Ireland - I'm not trying to hide the vast majority of manufacturing is taking place in China though - the brand itself is Irish, with the story of Yu Ming etc. - I want to promote Irish too (Gaelige that is) - so there's a core brand reason for it being a very Irish (made in China) watch. I honestly don't feel it to be a "Chinese watch" which is why it isn't marketed as such.

You are Irish and possibly 'more Irish than the Irish themselves'. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

You are Irish and possibly 'more Irish than the Irish themselves'. :)

Agreed.

Hes very open on whats done in ireland and what not. Most things manufactured here in ireland are made up from chinese pieces and just a few screws put into them here in ireland.

And hey look - I love my Newbridge silverware - it's great that they do their EPNS stuff "in-house" while the rest of the ordinary stainless steel is made in China (I asked them) - but I buy it because it's an Irish company, they have their Irish designs which are sent off to China to be made and I'm still supporting one of the last EPNS cutlery companies left in UK & Ireland.

Oh and the new campaign pre-launch page is up:
    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/solaswatches/solas-starlight-an-irish-affordable-micro-rotor-watch - previous backers should have gotten an update from me in relation to the new address already.

This time will only launch when ready - my French fan even sent me on some bedtime reading as to how to get the pre-launch portion done correctly.

I think actually something like 600 (minimum) to 1000 followers will be needed to try and get proper launch day funding.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

And hey look - I love my Newbridge silverware - it's great that they do their EPNS stuff "in-house" while the rest of the ordinary stainless steel is made in China (I asked them) - but I buy it because it's an Irish company, they have their Irish designs which are sent off to China to be made and I'm still supporting one of the last EPNS cutlery companies left in UK & Ireland.

Oh and the new campaign pre-launch page is up:
    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/solaswatches/solas-starlight-an-irish-affordable-micro-rotor-watch - previous backers should have gotten an update from me in relation to the new address already.

This time will only launch when ready - my French fan even sent me on some bedtime reading as to how to get the pre-launch portion done correctly.

I think actually something like 600 (minimum) to 1000 followers will be needed to try and get proper launch day funding.

There are load of examples. Waterford Crystal is a prime example and would you believe some Guinness is made outside ireland so ignore the people having a dig you are going fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭redlead

There are load of examples. Waterford Crystal is a prime example

That's largely only since they went into administration and the brand name was effectively sold off. It's not the same stuff at all anymore so not really a good example. It would be like Patek moving from Switzerland to Poland, getting rid of all their master watch makers and moving to a factory production line setup using easier to produce uncomplicated movements. You could still buy a Patek, and for cheaper, but it wouldn't be a Patek.

redlead wrote: »
    That's largely only since they went into administration and the brand name was effectively sold off. It's not the same stuff at all anymore so not really a good example. It would be like Patek moving from Switzerland to Poland, getting rid of all their master watch makers and moving to a factory production line setup using easier to produce uncomplicated movements. You could still buy a Patek, and for cheaper, but it wouldn't be a Patek.

They do still make a few pieces "in-house" though - those are specially marked (and the "new Waterford" Polish/Hungarian pieces are still very nice too). People aren't buying that much crystal ware (especially US) anymore.

There's a lovely gent who does engraving in Kilkenny Design sometimes and also sells his own Emerald crystal brand - used to be a Waterford master engraver - has absolutely beautiful pieces -
    https://m.facebook.com/emeraldirishcrystal/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭redlead

They do still make a few pieces "in-house" though - those are specially marked (and the "new Waterford" Polish/Hungarian pieces are still very nice too). People aren't buying that much crystal ware (especially US) anymore.

There's a lovely gent who does engraving in Kilkenny Design sometimes and also sells his own Emerald crystal brand - used to be a Waterford master engraver - has absolutely beautiful pieces -
    https://m.facebook.com/emeraldirishcrystal/

The new Waterford stuff is nice for sure, it's still a luxury product. I just want to draw the distinction between that and what it used to be. It's moved from being a largely hand crafted product by master craftsmen, from the blowing to cutting to being a machine produced product. This would have a lot less complexity to it as the machines used cannot make a lot these cuts. Even prior to administration a lot of it had moved to being machine cut (marquis) but would be finished off by hand where required. Even the quality of the crystal itself has deteriorated.

I'm aware of the Emerald crystal guys and its great to see the craft continuing. Apologies for bringing the thread off topic but just wanted to point this out. It annoys me when I see a brand being flogged for profit after all the craft and heritage that built up the brand over generations in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭This is it

I'm on my phone, did I win the watch!? :D

Results of the draw are out - Bryan (Banie) you came close! 3rd on the list there so it's not impossible that the first two people are unreachable/don't want the watch :pac:

A lovely €2484.30 raised for Alone in the end - will provide an update/confirmation from Alone once the funds are received by them.

I'm sure James, the winner might be along on this forum too... it was slightly awkward that the winner was a reviewer of the previous prototype version (I was thinking at the time - huh no.21 - James...not that James of Honest Watch Reviews right?)

But it's genuinely what came up (random.org uses atmospheric noise for its randomness so I trust it to be truly random). It would have been more awkward if a family member or close friend won it :D

Oh and in some interesting news - here is Sólás Watches being mentioned on a podcast from Scottish Watches live conference - the reception was generally very positive - it seems that taking the break was a very good idea as various larger publications have now spotted Sólás on their radars.

See 44:40 -
    or if that first link isn't working then you can find the full podcast here (lots of interesting topics being discussed but Sólás comes up at 44:40

In fact 2FM even mentioned Sólás a while back (thanks to Devo Watches texting them in - another Irish watch brand). Interesting to hear that they've heard of the brand!

https://www.instagram.com/p/CDTnrGLnWMR/?utm_source=ig_web_button_share_sheet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,296 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I recognised my name on the list. Well done to the winner

• Registered Users Posts: 16,796 ✭✭✭✭banie01

I'm not gonna say fingers crossed the other 2 don't want a watch...
    But!

Fingers crossed ;) :pac:

banie01 wrote: »
    I'm not gonna say fingers crossed the other 2 don't want a watch...
    But!

Fingers crossed ;) :pac:

You may be out of luck there :P

Big release today - ABlogToWatch published their micro-monthly feature a while ago - we're last (but certainly not least) on that page (they had to go by alphabetical order...next time it's aardvark watches for me):

https://www.ablogtowatch.com/ablogtowatch-micro-monthly-august-2020-astronic-stl-117-tourbillon-herve-alvia-solas-starlight/

Great that they fact-checked and were happy to go with "first in the world" and I think the article reads very well as written (by ABTW not myself).

Would appreciate if people might leave a comment on their article about the Starlight - they are *whispers* currently considering running a review on the Starlight :eek: - I'm not sure if metrics/responses on this article here will play any part in their decision but it surely shouldn't harm it.

For people who may not have heard of ABTW before - they are probably the biggest/2nd (definitely top 5) watch publications online so a review from them would be exposure that I wouldn't have dreamed about before :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

@ThirdFox That reads really well.

Fair play.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 2,151 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

You may be out of luck there :P

Big release today - ABlogToWatch published their micro-monthly feature a while ago - we're last (but certainly not least) on that page (they had to go by alphabetical order...next time it's aardvark watches for me):

https://www.ablogtowatch.com/ablogtowatch-micro-monthly-august-2020-astronic-stl-117-tourbillon-herve-alvia-solas-starlight/

Look like the Starlight has been bumped to the top of the the page TF :D

What approach to take with posts like this could people suggest? (I'm sure it won't be the last time similar things pop up about Sólás - so even people's opinions on how to generally deal with things you feel (or are absolutely objectively) untrue - it'd be whack-a-mole if you respond to everyone but his particular claim of fake accounts cuts deep into Sólás' reputation/good name)
    https://www.watchuseek.com/threads/s%C3%B3l%C3%A1s-starlight-worlds-first-affordable-micro-rotor-microbrand-watch-ks-campaign-re-launches-sept-oct-2020.5213113/page-2#post-52192961

Responding may give it life (especially to the quite clearly untrue allegation that I set up fake accounts to comment and promote myself on the ABTW post). I've reported the post on WUS - are any of the commenters on the ABTW post a longstanding WUS member and even if just one of yous could confirm that yes indeed you are a real person who is supporting the Starlight and not a fake puppet of mine?

I would have (hand on heart) said that an ad still features on a website - I'll have to check with Banie if that passes his smell-o-meter test :D - I wouldn't have called that feature a review in any case like the poster was claiming. And yes - even getting an ad placed of my watch on ABTW is something that excited me too (maybe I'm too naive and they would have taken anyone with cash :) )

As I mentioned above - the feature/post/ad whatever you prefer to call it :) - was written by ABTW not myself after I provided them with the reviewer's info pack that I provide all reviewers (provided because it summarises the points of the Starlight in a concise manner not that I was asking them to write a review in a sponsored post).

Interestingly I was approached by ABTW too about the micro monthly bit not me going to them...

Finally I'll definitely clear up the cancellation/postponement point (not sure if it was mentioned on the WUS site very explicitly but that decision was only taken after full consultation and input with the backers of the July launch as you guys well know).

I've loved answering questions from people about watches (not even necessarily the Starlight) - this is definitely the less fun but necessary bit of running a brand - hence me asking what do people think is the best response to posts like this? Wait for others to independently defend you? Contact other reputable people (who know the background) to independently defend you? Ignore?

colm18 wrote: »
    Look like the Starlight has been bumped to the top of the the page TF :D

Maybe it was reverse alphabetical order? Woo :D (with a surname like Wu you can imagine how often I was called first for anything :pac: ) - those sweet sweet times when the teacher went in reverse alphabetical order...often turned out to be for turning in homework (though I was always a swot in school ha).

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 2,151 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

It's a difficult one; I can't back up my claim to be a 'real' person with evidence of posting in other watch forums etc...I'm tempted to respond to the WUS one but it could just make things worse - will wait and see what others here think I guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 544 ✭✭✭SnowyMay

What approach to take with posts like this could people suggest? (I'm sure it won't be the last time similar things pop up about Sólás - so even people's opinions on how to generally deal with things you feel (or are absolutely objectively) untrue - it'd be whack-a-mole if you respond to everyone but his particular claim of fake accounts cuts deep into Sólás' reputation/good name)
    https://www.watchuseek.com/threads/s%C3%B3l%C3%A1s-starlight-worlds-first-affordable-micro-rotor-microbrand-watch-ks-campaign-re-launches-sept-oct-2020.5213113/page-2#post-52192961

Responding may give it life (especially to the quite clearly untrue allegation that I set up fake accounts to comment and promote myself on the ABTW post). I've reported the post on WUS - are any of the commenters on the ABTW post a longstanding WUS member and even if just one of yous could confirm that yes indeed you are a real person who is supporting the Starlight and not a fake puppet of mine?

I would have (hand on heart) said that an ad still features on a website - I'll have to check with Banie if that passes his smell-o-meter test :D - I wouldn't have called that feature a review in any case like the poster was claiming. And yes - even getting an ad placed of my watch on ABTW is something that excited me too (maybe I'm too naive and they would have taken anyone with cash :) )

As I mentioned above - the feature/post/ad whatever you prefer to call it :) - was written by ABTW not myself after I provided them with the reviewer's info pack that I provide all reviewers (provided because it summarises the points of the Starlight in a concise manner not that I was asking them to write a review in a sponsored post).

Interestingly I was approached by ABTW too about the micro monthly bit not me going to them...

Finally I'll definitely clear up the cancellation/postponement point (not sure if it was mentioned on the WUS site very explicitly but that decision was only taken after full consultation and input with the backers of the July launch as you guys well know).

I've loved answering questions from people about watches (not even necessarily the Starlight) - this is definitely the less fun but necessary bit of running a brand - hence me asking what do people think is the best response to posts like this? Wait for others to independently defend you? Contact other reputable people (who know the background) to independently defend you? Ignore?

Not sure what others would think (re. ignore or respond), but having followed and read through your journey, I’d be happy to add my voice to any replies to that post on your behalf. I’m perfectly happy that you are a genuine person who created an awesome watch with a lot of hard work and care and transparency (and a watch which I would really love to get my hands on!).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭John Hutton

SnowyMay wrote: »
    Not sure what others would think (re. ignore or respond), but having followed and read through your journey, I’d be happy to add my voice to any replies to that post on your behalf. I’m perfectly happy that you are a genuine person who created an awesome watch with a lot of hard work and care and transparency (and a watch which I would really love to get my hands on!).
    Why not just link this thread, those who want to do some digging can, and will see that you are legit.

• Advertisement

I think linking to other forums is actually a no-no for forum etiquette (I have become quite a reader of forum/group/posting rules in these last few weeks) - don't want to get banned (or anyone else banned - apologies again 893).

Ajaccio has responded fairly well to the poster in question.(I can't help but wonder if that's a poster who used to be on boards a long time ago?)

JH has suggested linking to this thread, it's an option.
    As is is replying and confirming Ajaccio's post and answering any questions the poster raised.

As for my smell-o-meter test?
    TBH, I don't see the humourous part there?
    Others might? but perhaps if you spent less time worrying about the legalese and it's interpretation as being correct?
    There'd have been no "smell" in the 1st place?

Anyway, rather than go down the rabbit hole of the particular issues around why there was a smell in the 1st place?
    There'd be far less scope for people to assume that there is a reason to hunt for a smell at all?

You don't like having your integrity questioned, yet are happy to throw sly little digs...

Odd.

Ajaccio has responded fairly well to the poster in question.(I can't help but wonder if that's a poster who used to be on boards a long time ago?)

JH has suggested linking to this thread, it's an option.
    As is is replying and confirming Ajaccio's post and answering any questions the poster raised.

As for my smell-o-meter test?
    TBH, I don't see the humourous part there?
    Others might? but perhaps if you spent less time worrying about the legalese and it's interpretation as being correct?
    There'd have been no "smell" in the 1st place?

Anyway, rather than go down the rabbit hole of the particular issues around why there was a smell in the 1st place?
    There'd be far less scope for people to assume that there is a reason to hunt for a smell at all?

You don't like having your integrity questioned, yet are happy to throw sly little digs...

Odd.
    You seem determined to take any perceived slight as an opportunity to provoke.

There are no sly little digs, except in your own mind.

I think linking to other forums is actually a no-no for forum etiquette (I have become quite a reader of forum/group/posting rules in these last few weeks) - don't want to get banned (or anyone else banned - apologies again 893).
    In that case then I would just leave it, you might fan it more by making a big deal of responding to it.

You seem determined to take any perceived slight as an opportunity to provoke.

There are no sly little digs, except in your own mind.

I'm not the one who went back quite a bit in what was water under the bridge.

And as for a dig being in my own mind?
    Really??
    I'll have to check with Banie if that passes his smell-o-meter test :D -

I'm not the one who went back quite a bit in what was water under the bridge.

And as for a dig being in my own mind?
    Really??
    It's clearly a joke.

This is boring, it will follow the same pattern before. thirdfox will apologise and say it was meant as a light hearted joke (hence the :D), you will huff and puff again in a precious manner at the mortal offense you have suffered due to thirdfoxx's alleged imprecision, or in this instance perceived comedic failings. You will be sated until the next opportunity to take issue with something and dive in with two feet again in an over the top, provocative manner. It's boring.

Anyway, I've said my bit, if you feel the need to respond to me feel free to do it via PM if you want, I won't engage further with you on the thread should you reply there, let's leave it to discussion of the watch, I've no desire to clog things further.

...thirdfoxx's alleged imprecision,
    I'm just one x away from being 18's only! (I was going to say "unsuitable for children" but that sounded much more dodgy).
    ...or in this instance perceived comedic failings.

Agreed! I will stick to the day job and the hobby and I won't be here all week folks :/

Though it may have been mentioned already as something I might say - I do chalk these things up to "comedic failings" than any conscious intention to annoy. Moving forward I will stick mainly to the facts just so we all minimise these misunderstandings :) (just a normal friendly genuine smilie - it's hard to convey tone through words on the internet sometimes - but I would ask that, if possible, if there is ambiguity about my intentions that one would take the positive interpretation of what I've said :) as that's most likely what I intended).

I'm just one x away from being 18's only! (I was going to say "unsuitable for children" but that sounded much more dodgy).

See that...
    That's funny, (ish) :D

Raking over closed and contentious topics, not so much.
    But thanks for the cliff note :)

See that...
    That's funny, (ish) :D

Raking over closed and contentious topics, not so much.
    But thanks for the cliff note :)

Also, in view of your explanation above (Thanks Btw)

Please, at least excuse my unwarranted tetchiness.
    Clearly I inferred an offence where none was offered and I do apologize.

Clearly it's my own issue and not yours TF.
    Apologies again.

• Advertisement

Here's some good news on the Starlight front - worn&wound have informed me that they are planning to run a press release article on the Starlight (no payments made!) - I wonder does that count as a feature on the facebook group - just to be safe I will use the exact words of "press release article" to describe the press release article.

But it's something else that can go up on the ad pages too "as seen on Worn & Wound" - a PRA is something that is definitely 100% "featured" on a publication right? Or do people consider being featured as reserved purely for reviews?

Advertisement