Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The kickstarter adventures of Sólás - solaswatches.com

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

Shamrock92 wrote: »
    Lucky few people.

I have to say, I'm blown away by your vision. I very much agree with your idea of special dials. It's the part that sells a watch to me. It's what I have to look at everyday, and something beyond a brass plate certainly speaks to me.

If you ever need help 'testing' a watch at 40,000ft, just shout :p

I'm very much on board. It's great to see such vision for an Irish watch brand.

Airline pilot?

Funny you should mention 40,000ft - there are plans to do testing at 100-120,000ft too (but that wasn't public knowledge…until now :D ).

But that's looking a little too far ahead. Concentrating on the Starlight right now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭Fitz II

Good job Thirdfox, glad we have a date now and that I dont have to get up early to get the early bird. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 544 ✭✭✭SnowyMay

Yes. Excited! I might have mentioned before, but I really want one of these watches!!

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Shamrock92

Thirdfox wrote: »
    Airline pilot?

Funny you should mention 40,000ft - there are plans to do testing at 100-120,000ft too (but that wasn't public knowledge…until now :D ).

But that's looking a little too far ahead. Concentrating on the Starlight right now :)
    I can't wait to see how that test looks :D

But seriously, great work and looking forward to what's to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,796 ✭✭✭✭banie01

TF, great news on your launch date!

I just had a thought as I was looking through my watch box.
    Would the diver extension clasp setup/system on the Sinn U2 series be of any use to you for the mk2?
    Has a quick release of an additional 10mm or so.
    All built into a very rugged and functional clasp.

• Advertisement

Sinn do some great cases and bracelets - I think if I'm going for a super clasp I'll go for one of the top ones and hopefully then it can be something that I'll be able to use across the range going forward (for bracelets anyway) - it's something that I've designed for Sólás too - so while the tech is glidelock the design certainly won't be.

In order to not deal with factories that may be making fakes (sadly most of the factories which are currently making glidelock clasps are adding on the crown emblem) I plan to work with a factory which hasn't made this type of clasp before to ensure I'm working with legitimate suppliers. Afterwards - to ensure they won't just add a crown emblem onto the clasp I have made my own design which means the moulds will only be used to make Sólás clasps and can't be repurposed for other brands.

I think this is a good way to show that yes we'll take on board anything that can be done legally (expired patented tech) while leaving the homaging for others. Use the tech, not the design :)

...In my defence I was never an IP lawyer... good thing I decided to investigate exactly why the major suppliers aren't making glidelock clasps yet:

https://patentimages.storage.googleapis.com/4f/d8/08/9891daf5a51cba/US20080083101A1.pdf
    https://patents.google.com/patent/EP1908366B1/en?oq=EP06405427A
    https://patents.google.com/patent/US20080083101A1/en?q=clasp&assignee=rolex&oq=rolex+clasp

The glidelock patents expire in 2028-2030 not 2018-2020 so that is out of the question then.

It does raise a question as to how Ginault can produce glidelock clasps and make them legally (or perhaps Rolex just hasn't pursued any action against them). That's a can of worms I'm not opening up on this thread though.

Armed with this knowledge - I think a good second choice would be Seiko's Marinemaster 300 (first released in 2000 so any patents would have expired by 2020) - though I'll be triple checking those patents too just to be absolutely sure it will be fine to make. The layout of their wetsuit extension/ratcheting clasp suits my purposes better actually than the glidelock version too. And even less likely factories will want to make fakes of Seikos (at least compared to Rolex).

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 2,151 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

Great to see the numbers on kickstarter rising steadily - up to 550 now, you must be happy with that TF?

colm18 wrote: »
    Great to see the numbers on kickstarter rising steadily - up to 550 now, you must be happy with that TF?

Indeedy - I had said that I would have launched at 600 and I think by Oct 15 and with another 12 reviews to come we should be at that number.

The way I've looked at it is - there are around 80-100 people who were at the previous launch and have carried over - they are quite likely to back again.

From my previous launch I saw about a 20% conversion rate from follower to backer - so taking out 100 followers of the carried over launch if I there were 600 followers it would be 500 (less previous backers) and a 20% conversion rate would get around 100 backers. At around 200 backers this would be enough to go ahead with the project and get the watches made. Of course I would hope for more backers than that but with a make or break first attempt I do want to play it as safe as possible (in terms of achieving the funding goal).

Don't have funds to attempt this again if it doesn't work out so it's all or nothing come Oct 15-31 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,796 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Thirdfox wrote: »
    Indeedy - I had said that I would have launched at 600 and I think by Oct 15 and with another 12 reviews to come we should be at that number.

Hey TF,

Just want to drop a note and wish you all the very best and honestly every success with the new relaunch plan.

The watch and the effort you have put in deserve every success.
    Your openness and responsiveness are a thing rarely seen in what is after all a personal vision.

Apologies again for my moments of tetchiness and over sensitivity at times on this thread, my ego likes to think I'm far more important than I actually am :P

Will have everything possible crossed for you for the KS launch and it's successful funding.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭hammerdub

Very well said banie01, agree with you and wishing TF every success and I'm looking forward to one of the watches on my wrist .

banie01 wrote: »
    Hey TF,

Just want to drop a note and wish you all the very best and honestly every success with the new relaunch plan.

The watch and the effort you have put in deserve every success.
    Your openness and responsiveness are a thing rarely seen in what is after all a personal vision.

Apologies again for my moments of tetchiness and over sensitivity at times on this thread, my ego likes to think I'm far more important than I actually am :P

Will have everything possible crossed for you for the KS launch and it's successful funding.
    hammerdub wrote: »
    Very well said banie01, agree with you and wishing TF every success and I'm looking forward to one of the watches on my wrist .

Thanks guys - just being realistic - sometimes things don't work out in the end. ...having said that getting another 49 followers (and ultimately hopefully at least 200, ideally 300+ backers) should be quite do-able with 12 more reviews on the way.

Definitely starting to get butterflies now - because despite all the planning/calculations etc. you still never know what might happen on the day.

But as of today - it's t-minus 30 days to launch.

Here are some of the dials in uncut form already in the factory ready to be processed:
    dnTDKFjl.jpg

Oh and Banie - don't worry about it - I've been trying to practise what I said about positive interpretations too and it's helpful (as long as I remember to do it!)

Woo - reached l.cert results today on the followers page :pac:

Here are the finished, assembled and ready to shipped review units laid out - 10 destined for overseas, 4 coming to me of which 2 are going to Irish reviewers and 2 kept "just in case" a major publication/channel contacts me to ask for a unit to review:

https://imgur.com/dTaVnqs

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Is aventurine brittle to work with - e.g. risky putting in the holes for hands etc?

Very - to make the 14 review units we had 3 cracked dials. The possibility of a crack appearing increases as the number of holes drilled into it increases.

Maybe that's why H Moser only drilled 2 holes into theirs :P :
    H.-Moser-Cie-Endeavour-Perpetual-Moon-Concept-Aventurine-Hands-On-5.jpg

For the Starlight we're drilling 27 holes into the dial - so we will get quite a few cracked dials.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Did you look into casting them with the holes already in the moulds? I think that's what AnOrdain do with their enamel dials

In my work, we use a lot of ceramic and zirconia. When you want something very thin, we generally cast or mill it thick, drill the holes and then lap it down to thickness, the yield is much higher

Eoin wrote: »
    Did you look into casting them with the holes already in the moulds? I think that's what AnOrdain do with their enamel dials
    Fitz II wrote: »
    In my work, we use a lot of ceramic and zirconia. When you want something very thin, we generally cast or mill it thick, drill the holes and then lap it down to thickness, the yield is much higher

Good ideas - the problem with that is you guys may be thinking of the wonderful world of Swiss in-house manufacturing where the elves are casting and moulding and drilling all close to one another and for mutual benefit :pac: .

Here as the dial material supplier is different to the dial finisher/indice installer there isn't that sort of vertical integration that we can control each and every aspect of operations unfortunately. The ideas do sound good and I'll definitely raise it but it could be a case of the dial supplier thinking (thicker dial means more cost to me) and dial finisher thinking (I don't want to need to train our technician on a different procedure vs just drilling as carefully as possible and taking acceptable (to them) losses). That's all presupposing what they are thinking but it's just an example of how sub-contractors may prefer to do things.

From my perspective - I've paid an agreed price - so it doesn't affect my bottom line as we get the delivery of the agreed dials, in agreed quality and by the agreed time - any savings won't be passed onto me :D (though I certainly don't want any more wastage than necessary) - it could even be that they figure that the thicker dial and lapping down wastes more material overall than cracking (potentially they can ship back the cracked dials and reform them into new dials)? Glass and copper both sound like things that can be recycled... lapping into fine ground dust may lose more material than having a few cracked dials getting shipped back to the materials factory.

Looks great TF. Can't wait to see some reviews and ultimately get one in hand. Without trying to offend anyone, I have never seen any Irish watch reviewers, can you share who they're going to?

Looks great TF. Can't wait to see some reviews and ultimately get one in hand. Without trying to offend anyone, I have never seen any Irish watch reviewers, can you share who they're going to?

There is one....but he is best avoided. :eek:

• Advertisement

Fitz II wrote: »
    There is one....but he is best avoided. :eek:

That should be easy given his current anonymity

We're also lacking some sort of watch club in this little country of ours.

There are two reviewers who are based in Ireland who got back to me and while the size of the channels may not be as big as say a Relative Time/Just the Watch/24 Hours at a Time/AverageBros/Scottish Watches (some of the reviewers getting the production unit for review being shipped out tomorrow) I think it's good to support Irish reviewers too and give them an opportunity to give their impressions on the watch (and maybe a micro-rotor watch review might help them grow their channels too).

The two are:
    https://www.youtube.com/user/dulameagica - Watches with George
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCPbvLaMx8P-ccHDKWQ2agw - Wonder of Watches

Both really nice guys and who enjoy reviewing for the pleasure of seeing interesting watches.
    We're also lacking some sort of watch club in this little country of ours.

I've only just heard about Redbars - these are watch club discussion meet ups right? Is there no such one set up for Dublin?

I have to say - one thing I am quite proud of in the end is that all reviews are absolutely non-sponsored/paid for - in every single one (some needed slight negotiating) I have promised them only return/onward postage being covered.

I'm very happy to support channels via giveaways, samples, sponsorship etc. - just not as part of a review - as I do feel that this affects neutrality if people are allowed to keep watches/get paid to review a watch. I might be weird like that and I see plenty of people who are happy about a reviewer keeping the watch (as long as its disclosed) or getting paid to do a review - I just find it's hard to reconcile providing very biting/objective views with payment from the brand - but obviously some people definitely feel that it can be done - I'm just happy I didn't need to compromise my principles in the end and will be getting all review units back.

Hi guys - a new review out from Averagebros:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=enBtei_4c-g

I have figured out why on some videos the hands are coming off as high illegible (and why reviewers might not even notice this while filming or commenting on legibility) - it's because the dauphine hands are highly reflective and reflect what is pointed at them - for youtube videos it's often a black camera lens pointed at them so often they are reflecting a black colour back which obviously dissolves the hands into the dial.

When recording you might not see it either because through the eyes the hands are reflecting the room/person back and generally it won't be completely black like a camera lens.

I tested this out extensively too to see what was causing the difference between what was seen by eye and when a camera was shooting it - here's what you would typically see by eye even when looking directly at the dial (camera phone photo but had to tilt the watch as my camera phone has a large black mount which has the same issue if photographing head on):

https://imgur.com/zIAWq4O

Standing outside this eve looking up at the clear sky and the stars shining, I for some reason, thought of this watch. Really glad things are coming together for you TF and looking forward to getting one on the wrist.

One quick question, will the final models be numbered or rather 'first edition' as Gaeilge?

Hey Shamrock - these ones will all be "céad eagrán" engraved rather than numbered - numbering is one other thing that can go wrong as often people will request certain numbers or change orders/add to pledge etc. that throws which backer gets which number out of sync - I'm still trying to think of a robust way to deal with requests and number allocation for when we start offering numbering.

When it goes to serial production afterwards at a retail price there will be more options available along with numbering (not limited editions but rather sequential numbering).

There however won't be any céad eagrán Sólás watches (ever again potentially as I'm not certain I'll be bringing this back for subsequent models) - so who knows - maybe these CE models will be more "valuable" in due course (please don't regard microbrand watches as investments though - almost no-one can match Rolex on that front and that might be/is a bubble too ;) ). This will be the model that (hopefully) kickstarts Sólás into being.

So with 25 days to go here's another video - hopefully one day I become as dexterous with my tweezers like this technician here:
    https://i.imgur.com/YNnvjYj.mp4
    (Sólás Starlight hand installation video)

Just to let people know that after brainstorming over the past while model 4 and 5 are being drawn up too (crude handdrawn designs currently) - quite exciting and expanding into some pretty daring designs I think - different but for good reason (in my opinion) and not just the sake of different - at least in the microbrand world.

Having 5 models in the pipeline will hopefully get me to around halfway to the ultimate goal of that minute repeater microbrand affordable.

Very much looking forward to what's next. A GMT would go down well ;) Just sayin'

Very much looking forward to what's next. A GMT would go down well ;) Just sayin'

A GMT isn't actually on the roadmap currently - the head says I should switch over to Swiss movements if I want to convince people to back higher priced (and valued) pieces in the future but I really want to show people that Chinese movements have great potential too and not just in fakes.

Some of the new ideas involve a degree of mechanical engineering that even got my wife pretty excited as far as novel/useful concepts go.

Grounded on Starlight currently still - the first big batch of review units should arrive at reviewers' doors tomorrow :)

These cases a very simple (and cheap!) but it's what they represent that is interesting hopefully...

These are tester cases for some movements being analysed for long term stability. Expect to see the movements in a Sólás watch model in 2022 if they pass all tests.

With Sólás I currently have a long term roadmap looking five years into the future. So the Starlight is step one of that 5 year plan.

As stated in interviews - the ultimate goal for Sólás is to build an affordable minute repeater watch as a microbrand. Each step forwards we can take gets us closer to that goal.

e9VgzMFh.png

xLxVazMh.png

...I asked my partner to produce the cheapest possible cases and dials/hands - as this is being used purely to test the movements first hand over 1.5 years - so it's a mineral crystal, 3ATM, simple hands almost no dial - I did spend a little extra to get Sólás printed on the inside of the crystal though :D

At least it represents a long term commitment to the brand and its ideals - interesting, affordable, different, desirable and definitely not primarily profit driven.

• Advertisement

At a certain point presumably you would have to bring movement manufacturing in-house? Or is it possible to get a movement manufacturer to produce a minute repeater on demand?

Advertisement