Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The kickstarter adventures of Sólás - solaswatches.com

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭MAJJ

Over the line on day one, you must be so relieved , well done. Delighted for you !

• Registered Users Posts: 16,795 ✭✭✭✭banie01

tenor.gif
    tenor.gif

Well done TF, delighted to see your vision catch such a wave of appreciation and some day in not too distant future, boardsies can check the time while watching you on one of those CNN behind the brand shorts....

And say!
    I was there when he started ;)

Well bloody done!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭Fitz II

Well done, now the work begins :) Great to see a quality Irish watch Kickstarter succeed.

ConfusedHarmoniousGerbil-size_restricted.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

ThirdFox's computer right now

?u=http%3A%2F%2Fkemptechnologies.com%2Fblog%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2014%2F03%2Fbroken-f5-button.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Dev1234

Well that was easy!!

Delighted for you TF, you took a gamble and it's paid off in spades!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭redlead

Congrats Thirdfox. The hard work that you've put in has really paid off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

Wow, what a result!

Fair play, @ThirdFox, well played!

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭KrustyBurger

What a result! Delighted for you TF! Can't wait to see it in the flesh now!

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭laserlad2010

Fair Play Third Fox - I was on the app from 14:57 refreshing and then nailed spot #10 for €329

Delighted to see it come to pass, and looking forward to Equinox ;p

So we know #10 is a Boardsie, and I'll own up to being #4.
    Is #1 amongst the Boardsie crew?
    Or are they keeping schtum?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22 shano76

Well done Thirdfox! Amazing achievement! Delighted for you!

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Horoaddict

So happy the number was hit in day 1! Very ballsy decision to pull it but was well worth it! I was on from 14.55 waiting and just about managed to get #44 at 3.02! Can't wait to see it it the metal now! Hopefully in time for my birthday on May 26th!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,521 ✭✭✭This is it

banie01 wrote: »

#26, and I thought I was quick

This is it wrote: »
    #26, and I thought I was quick

My wife always said I was a bit quick off the mark!:o *
    Finally worked out for me :pac:

*I'm actually a sexual dynamo!
    As long as its for a low wattage LED ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 544 ✭✭✭SnowyMay

Well done TF. You must be delighted!!!!

I am also delighted for you, and for the fact that I’ll be getting one of these bad boys!!

I wasn’t #1 btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,296 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

When do all the boards members get their free watches? Hope everything goes well TF, think your openness, honesty, passion and hard work are a what made this a success.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭John Hutton

I thought I was very quick, had backed it and replied on this thread saying I did by so 15:01, but not even in top 10!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Well done TF, funds just too tight for me at present, good to see the re-launch worked out for you.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,864 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Anyone flipped theirs yet? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,071 ✭✭✭dakar

I think there's a good chance Ireland will have the highest per capita microrotor watch ownership in the world when these get shipped.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

...and maybe salmon leather straps too - after saying I won't do options for the first campaign (and I still won't I guess) - I will put out some stretch goals I think just to try and encourage things along...

if we get to >80k - blued screws for all!

if we get to >100k - salmon/Italian nubuck straps for all (who want it over the Horween)...

about to start working on these stretch goal presentations now.

^ from those goals people will be able to see what my "true" funding goals are at too - I think realistically I'm looking at hopefully another 100 backers from across the world to get on board which would be fantastic for Sólás' long term future - rest assured at current funding the watches will get made too without problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Would you think about add-ons for that as well, or is it only worth your while to get more people committing to a watch?

To be honest it's only "worth" it to get more people on board - because the add-ons means that things turn into options - I'm trying to unify everything into one standard option so that the orders etc. can be streamlined (you can imagine if 28 people said they wanted blued screws and 37 said they wanted X strap) how messy the orders can quickly become - I do want to offer those options in the future (though perhaps no longer through Kickstarter but through my own portal (so KS aren't taking 8+% of all funds raised) - but under-promise/over-deliver is my aim here.

This way it's about promoting the watch to people - and everyone gets a win/win/win (existing backers: extra features for free, and you've let someone who might be interested in what Sólás/Starlight is about know about us, Sólás: I get funding for future models).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭John Hutton

Forgive the stupid question, what are blued screws?

update coming on the KS site very soon - here's an article I'll be referencing though:
    https://watchesbysjx.com/2015/02/20

for people who will be checking out the visually interesting movement on the back - having blued screws will be an extra touch of interest for those looking at the back.

Forgive the stupid question, what are blued screws?

A really lovely way of heat treating screws to bring out a blue colour.
    Quite a nice watchmaking skill.

https://wornandwound.com/bluing-process-thermally-treating-screws/

A really lovely way of heat treating screws to bring out a blue colour.
    Quite a nice watchmaking skill.

https://wornandwound.com/bluing-process-thermally-treating-screws/

To clarify though - they can also be chemically treated - it is more likely that Hangzhou will be going the chemical route (which is covered in the SJX article too) - but I will clarify.

Thirdfox wrote: »
    To clarify though - they can also be chemically treated - it is more likely that Hangzhou will be going the chemical route (which is covered in the SJX article too) - but I will clarify.

Very true, effect and finish is pretty much the same tho.
    If you add it as a stretch goal, I'm sure it'll be appreciated by the WIS and shown of whenever the chance arises ;)

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 2,151 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

Before this thread, I never even thought about watches...now I'm reading in-depth articles about blued screws :-P

• Advertisement

colm18 wrote: »
    Before this thread, I never even thought about watches...now I'm reading in-depth articles about blued screws :-P

Ha - you're definitely in too deep now then…

Soon enough you'll be debating the aesthetics of swan neck regulators vs free sprung balances (I'm a swan fan - free sprung is too hard to adjust without technical tools) :P

Advertisement