Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The kickstarter adventures of Sólás - solaswatches.com

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

I see you have a new bff;) I know he's not everyone's cup of tea, but as far as launching a brand his advice will be second to none IMHO.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

Indeed - certainly gave some helpful pointers and helpfully we won't be competing in the same market place (he seems to be operating in the Steinhart arena of quality pieces with a homage twist) - the volunteers will have seen (and hopefully from the Starlight too) that I want to offer things more in the "interesting, not seen before" arena (which runs the risk of people not liking the design of course).

His clear boundaries between private life and business brand is an important one too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

Thirdfox wrote: »
    Indeed - certainly gave some helpful pointers and helpfully we won't be competing in the same market place (he seems to be operating in the Steinhart arena of quality pieces with a homage twist) - the volunteers will have seen (and hopefully from the Starlight too) that I want to offer things more in the "interesting, not seen before" arena (which runs the risk of people not liking the design of course).

His clear boundaries between private life and business brand is an important one too.

Who dis and where?

Docvail on WUS - I remember him from back around on the Chinese mechanical forums there in 2000s - since set up Lew and Huey, and now is running NTH pretty successfully I think.

https://youtu.be/5TrwAeh95T0

A preview of the video I made about the charity auction - I've gotten clearance from the Director behind Yu Ming to use that clip too. Currently it's still unlisted so not officially published yet.

Hopefully it's tastefully done in people's eyes? If you have any suggestions let me know.

Am awaiting clearance from Alone too that they are happy with how it's presented.

• Advertisement

https://youtu.be/5TrwAeh95T0
    If you have any suggestions let me know.

You dont show the watch.
    Some people might not know what Yu Ming is anim dom is you might explain.
    Explain this is a one of one edition, very valuable etc.
    Always with auctions charity or otherwise focus on what the bidder stands to gain, if they wanted to just give to charity that what they would do.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,795 ✭✭✭✭banie01

You dont show the watch.
    Always with auctions charity or otherwise focus on what the bidder stands to gain, if they wanted to just give to charity that what they would do.

+1on all those points.
    The connection with the charity is important, but use the opportunity to showcase the watch, the unique edition and your brand ;)

You dont show the watch.

Ha - all the young 'uns saw it in secondary school apparently.

I see I didn't mention that it was a unique one not to be sold elsewhere. I'll make that change I think so people can understand how special it will be.
    banie01 wrote: »
    +1on all those points.
    The connection with the charity is important, but use the opportunity to showcase the watch, the unique edition and your brand ;)

I have to say I'm feeling a little queasy about playing up the brand in this spot for the charity auction - I'm generally of the mindset that charity shouldn't be public (and I think there's a fine line to be walked between doing this to help the charity and doing this to help myself) - I want to think that I'm doing this altruistically so it was a conscious decision not to put up a photo of the watch or to have Sólás splashed all over the text - instead want to focus on Alone and their info - and interested parties can always get more information on the watch etc. from the website which is a pretty easy to remember address I think - this way I think Alone will be more happy to promote the video spot etc. on their social media too - the focus is on the initiative for the charity. If some people see this and make a donation directly to Alone then that's perfectly fine with me too.

I genuinely see this as less about promoting the brand and more about - well this is a pretty good use of the one unique Starlight I'll be offering the public - might as well try and raise some funds for a worthwhile charity.

@Fitzgeme/Banie - I think also not putting up a picture of the watch might pique some people's interest anyway "so what is the watch like?" - "huh designed by Yu Ming eh?" and they'll go onto the website to have a look where I can direct them to the adverts.ie ad/auction.

Btw - solaswatches.com has been updated with the Alone info already on - so people can have a look there - I have more info about the watch and how to access the services that Alone provides.

I envision that the adverts.ie ad would have the most comprehensive information both about Alone and Sólás - the 30 second spot is mainly about Alone, the website's Alone bit is mostly about the charity and the auction details (including mentioning the watch being unique etc.)

I 100% take your point on charity for its own sake and not as a means to an end.

In personal terms that's how I view it too.
    I give to help, not to tag myself on a photo and gain some altruistic brownie points.

In terms of a business however, it's striking a balance between maximising the return for the charity and growing the brand.
    Without a cohesive branding strategy, highlighting the brand and the uniqueness of the watch on offer.
    The auction may as well be for a Casio IMO.

It's a tightrope, but the effort to raise money for ALONE is quite a worthy one and I wish you the very best with it.
    Just remember that the payoff for your donation, organisation and effort in this should be a raised profile for Sólás.

Daniel if you dont sell and make it desirable, then nobody will bid, and if they dont bid then its the charity misses out. Get in there and make this something somebody wants to bid on to make the most money for this worthy charity. Leave the humility and shyness at the door get to to work, without making this desirable the watch is not worth a lot to the charity. ;)

• Advertisement

Daniel if you dont sell and make it desirable, then nobody will bid, and if they dont bid then its the charity misses out. Get in there and make this something somebody wants to bid on to make the most money for this worthy charity. Leave the humility and shyness at the door get to to work, without making this desirable the watch is not worth a lot to the charity. ;)

Oh I'll make sure to explain it clearly (though perhaps geared towards general public more than WIS-heads) why SoK was worth at least €499 on the adverts.ie site. Videos, pictures, reviews etc.

On the video spot though - I think I'll leave that out. But will put in some additional info on the social media posts etc. I think this gives Alone extra flexibility to promote the initiative from their end without worrying that they'll be splashing a kickstarter watch on their social media feeds etc.

Boards.ie came back with a pretty nifty idea - instead of say using adverts.ie (which is actually now no longer owned by boards and is probably related to donedeal since I see their ads too) - why not use a gofundme (guarantees the funds are sent on safely to Alone too) - and do a prize draw from the contributors.

Say €10 gets you into a prize draw for the SoK Starlight - would only need 51 people to match a 500 euro donation to Alone (when you take into account gofundme processing fees). Gofundme means no potential for fake bids/trolls like on adverts too. I'm no fundraising expert so didn't think about a gofundme option before until mentioned by boards rep.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 544 ✭✭✭SnowyMay

To be honest, I would be more likely to donate €10 at a chance of a raffle than try to outbid a higher bidder.

Your watches look amazing btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,296 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

SnowyMay wrote: »
    To be honest, I would be more likely to donate €10 at a chance of a raffle than try to outbid a higher bidder.

Same here, I wouldn't even bother with a bit tbh, but I'd definitely pay a tenner for a chance of winning. You have the bonus of knowing the charity is getting the money if you don't win, so you can't lose!

Say €10 gets you into a prize draw for the SoK Starlight - would only need 51 people to match a 500 euro donation to Alone (when you take into account gofundme processing fees). Gofundme means no potential for fake bids/trolls like on adverts too. I'm no fundraising expert so didn't think about a gofundme option before until mentioned by boards rep.

I'm not gloating....
    I'm really not :P
    But thats my idea, with added razzle dazzle :pac:

I didn't know that gofundme allowed this particular type/style of donation but it is IMO a fantastic way to do it.
    Makes payment processing and admin a far simpler task too.

Look forward to buying a ticket and supporting this fundraiser anyway I can.

Over there a fair value is usually divided by sufficient spots to give a $10/20 dollar buy in and the raffle takes place when all spots are filled.

With the Sólás, I suppose determining value would be step one in that type of approach.
    Easier to sell unlimited tickets at a fixed price probably, but it would need decent payment processing and tracking.

Cienciano wrote: »
    Same here, I wouldn't even bother with a bit tbh, but I'd definitely pay a tenner for a chance of winning. You have the bonus of knowing the charity is getting the money if you don't win, so you can't lose!

I'd be tempted to throw in my €500 as 50 €10 draws so I can win it back :pac: (I kid!)
    I'm not gloating....
    I'm really not :P
    But thats my idea, with added razzle dazzle :pac:

I didn't know that gofundme allowed this particular type/style of donation but it is IMO a fantastic way to do it.
    Makes payment processing and admin a far simpler task too.

Look forward to buying a ticket and supporting this fundraiser anyway I can.

I think technically they probably don't and it's more a case of "I swear I will do this on my honour" for the people who donate. Technically if you donate €10 to Alone it's just going to be a donation. I'll need to see if go fund me reveals the donator's email address so I can contact them if they win the draw though.

Apparently someone just did one for Pieta House with a prize being Matt Damon's signed photo. I'm not sure Yu Ming's signed photos are worth anything ha :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭John Hutton

That's a much better idea imo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭MAJJ

I agree and will support also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 544 ✭✭✭SnowyMay

Apparently someone just did one for Pieta House with a prize being Matt Damon's signed photo. I'm not sure Yu Ming's signed photos are worth anything ha :D

How about throwing one in with the watch? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭thomas 123

Just came across your thread, look into Shopify to get yourself set up online to sell.

• Advertisement

How about throwing one in with the watch? ;)

As long as it doesn't lower the value of the prize ha :pac:

Oh and the gofundme is up already:

https://gf.me/u/x6u2xw - that looks like a really dodgy website link though - don't know why they don't have a longer one for people to see it's ok. :/

https://gf.me/u/x6u2xw - that looks like a really dodgy website link though - don't know why they don't have a longer one for people to see it's ok. :/

That's me in the pot at least! Here's hoping you blow through your target!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,296 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Well, good luck with it, I hope you reach the target

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Dev1234

Donation made. Best of luck with it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭MAJJ

Likewise just made one and the message and pictures looks great and well balanced. Well done Diyu. Over 20% there within an hour, good start!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭Irishphotodesk

Added my €20.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,071 ✭✭✭dakar

Great cause, happy to support.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,521 ✭✭✭This is it

Great cause, thanks again for the support. Just donated, off to a good start :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,521 ✭✭✭This is it

@Thirdfox, did you ask Alone to fire it up on their social media?

Advertisement