Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Couch repair/refund

Options
  • 12-10-2019 8:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭

I have an armchair that I got in Ikea six months ago. After about 4 months it developed a hole which we reported to them. It’s taken a while to get to this stage but yesterday the contractor they employ to inspect/repair furniture called to the house. He was only here a few minutes and said it was a fault straight away. It’s on the seat part of the chair which is removable so he said he’d request a new cushion and I should hear back soon. About an hour later I was lookng at the chair and realised the arms and back are definitely worn and slightly different colour to when we got it (which is normal wear and not an issue. The material is a brushed material, almost velvety if that makes sense so it probably wears worse than normal material). So if we get a new cushion it’s going to look strange against the worn parts of the chair.

Anyway I rang Ikea then and asked seeing as the chair was less than 6 months old could we not expect to have a replacement. The guy didn’t seem like he knew really, he tried to say because the whole chair doesn’t have a fault, only the cushion does so they are replacing that. But my argument was that we bought the chair as a whole, didn’t buy the cushion separately so had hoped we would have a proper replacement given the age of the chair.

I’m not sure where we stand legally with this though?
    I’m due to hear back once the get the contractors report back but I’m not holding my hopes up!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Cerco

No harm in chancing you4 arm.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Silane

If you bought a car and a part broke under warranty would you expect a new car because you bought it as a whole? I can't see Ikea budging on that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,482 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

Silane wrote: »
    If you bought a car and a part broke under warranty would you expect a new car because you bought it as a whole? I can't see Ikea budging on that one.

If it was something visible like a body panel and a replacement part couldn't be colour matched to the rest of the car, I wouldn't accept it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭sillysocks

That’s just it, I’m not worried about the springs inside being older on the main part after a replacement. It’s the visual that the seat will definitely look newer.
    It’s not a huge issue I know, and I’m not going to go bananas over it but the seat cost €250 and when it only lasted 4 months surely you should expect to have a ‘proper’ chair after that short time frame.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭SonOfGoat

Them places are thieving fu*kers. We bought a suite outright, nearly 6 grand from DFS. Being so expensive we decided to go with the insurance which costed nearly 500 quid. Told if any stains etc.. they would come out right away. A few very minor stains, called them and they sent out a tiny bottle of useless ****e. That was the end of DFS for me. Needed beds, went elswhere. What I'm trying to say is, if there is a problem after payment is given over, you have a long hard struggle ahead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭sillysocks

In fairness to ikea their customer service is usually good from whatntive seen.
    Anyway they rang back yesterday, said they now had the report which confirmed a manufacturing fault and someone will be out on Friday with a full new chair (no mention of just the cushion!).

Advertisement