Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Room to Improve (v2)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

End song best part of episode

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,322 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

vladmydad wrote: »
    My uncle removed a pampas because someone told him it means your a swinger

One of the neighbours had one some years back, I always thought his wife was a bit of a goer alright :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 719 ✭✭✭20/20

Andrew00 wrote: »
    Haven't a notion of watching next week

You will.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,125 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Icsics wrote: »
    Ah lads banter, not a bit contrived!

Completely.

And yes, we'll all be back for the concluding part too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,393 ✭✭✭CH3OH

The neighbours must be very patient .....or dead

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,618 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

Anyone actually see what the finished garden is like?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Andrew00

The RTE canteen has been invited to the party in the house when it's completed.

Francis Brennan, Jason Byrne, Mario Rosenstock ect

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,586 ✭✭✭✭siblers

The bit with the glass wall made no sense, considering the amount of houses he's done with massive sized windows, surely he would have been well aware of the issues with reflections etc.

I wonder if that and other parts were just scripted to add a bit of 'drama' to the show

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,301 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

You can tell the builder can't be arsed with him....in fairness what was he expecting...has he not seen the show before?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,906 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

honeybear wrote: »
    End song best part of episode

The only thing I noticed from the end credits was Dermo and his mates having all their letters after their names :rolleyes:

I don't usually watch this show so maybe what I just saw is the norm, but it just came across as ridiculously pretentious shyte, like a 60 minute commercial for the goys (and girls) involved, and with no basis in reality.

Money may be no object here, but it certainly can't buy taste! WTF is the obsession with the outdoor bath tub?

As I said as well, it just seems in poor taste as well given the current housing/rental situation. Its like the Tiger years all over again :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,994 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

bottom line is that this is a common or garden house anywhere and is not worth all that money and overhaul.

Buy one that is already done if you can.

Oh, forgot this is a TV program. Drama required!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,368 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

20/20 wrote: »
    You will.

Hmm you could just google it and see the finished house :p

or check his instagram for a peek

https://www.instagram.com/dermotbannon/?hl=en

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,523 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

gmisk wrote: »
    You can tell the builder can't be arsed with him....in fairness what was he expecting...has he not seen the show before?

its a pity the builder isnt that guy that was all gung how about finishing on time.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭Whestsidestory

Pretentious twaddle...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,301 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

its a pity the builder isnt that guy that was all gung how about finishing on time.
    Oh he was class! Flew through it he would be my dream builder

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Is there one other person in the whole of Ireland who has the same accent as Diarmuid Gavin ? Its the oddest accent

eh.... the few lads i know with that accent are all very ehhhh camp

gmisk wrote: »
    Oh he was class! Flew through it he would be my dream builder

no bull**** and he had everything orders weeks in advance.
    he set a tall order with the timeframe that we all thught was crazy. but fair play he achieved it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭boggerman1

Fair play to Dermot for wringing another couple of programs out of rte.full on vulgar pretentious bullsh&t

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Hatshepsut

siblers wrote: »
    The bit with the glass wall made no sense, considering the amount of houses he's done with massive sized windows, surely he would have been well aware of the issues with reflections etc.

I wonder if that and other parts were just scripted to add a bit of 'drama' to the show

Do you think it was Dermot's way of apologising, whilst not apologising, for making a complete balls of everyone's house he's ever done by shoving the big glass boxes on and never once thinking - 'Oh they'll have to actually live in them, night & day, winter & summer, good weather & bad?' He's away with the actual fairies

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Bigboldworld

So he paid 800 k for a house in Drumcondra? Is it griffith Avenue, can’t imagine too many other streets in that neck of the woods for that much money, house prices have gone mad.

• Advertisement

honeybear wrote: »
    I’ve a confession to make ... it was a rubbish episode but ... I’m watching it on the plus 2!

plus 2 . where are you getting that

• Registered Users Posts: 3,454 ✭✭✭boardise

What is it about windows NEVER arriving on time....

A right pane in the posterior.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Its missing someone to keep him a bit inline, would have been good to get his wifes wants from it ect.

I dunno if it needed two episodes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,044 ✭✭✭appledrop

It definitely didn't need two episodes. First one was waffling.

In saying that I I loved Patricia's involvement + really miss the old Room to Improve.

Seen an old episode a while ago think budget was 50,000 or something like that + it was 50 times better than anything in current season.

This season has serious Celtic tiger notions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭kerryjack

Some of the comments on here are disgraceful, have ye ever met the man. His a professional that has done very well for himself, he seems a good family man. He Show is on primetime TV and has had good viewing numbers for the last 10 or 12 year, ye were all tuned in tonight why all this hate for the man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,562 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

appledrop wrote: »
    It definitely didn't need two episodes. First one was waffling.

In saying that I I loved Patricia's involvement + really miss the old Room to Improve.

Seen an old episode a while ago think budget was 50,000 or something like that + it was 50 times better than anything in current season.

This season has serious Celtic tiger notions.

If you're doing anything other than remodelling you need serious cash - especially when extensions are involved. If they're is anything really to be critical of is that the initial budget is unrealistic and that all the clients are clearly very wealthy and not really constrained by money.

My biggest annoyance at R2I is that it focuses on some made up drama rather than the technical details of the build. But that has never been a feature of the program, unlike Duncan Stewart's home improvement show

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,608 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

I actually like it so far.
    Silly money but I think it looks okay.

A lot better than some of the other houses he has worked on.

Will be interesting to see what DG does with the garden because as a rule, I'm not a fan of his.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,044 ✭✭✭appledrop

I know they all do massive refurbishments now that cost a fortune but back in early days it was say a kitchen extension etc.

Just thought it was more relatable, like a thing that you family/friends might do to make their house a bit bigger.

Very few people have massive 300k-400k budgets after they have spent maybe 500-600k on actually house.

That's why its Celtic tiger notions territory.

appledrop wrote: »
    I know they all do massive refurbishments now that cost a fortune but back in early days it was say a kitchen extension etc.

Just thought it was more relatable, like a thing that you family/friends might do to make their house a bit bigger.

Very few people have massive 300k-400k budgets after they have spent maybe 500-600k on actually house.

That's why its Celtic tiger notions territory.

this is what made the programe what it is (or was)
    its easy do these things when you can throw half a million at it.

the majority of people in the country need their house adjusted slightly or a small adition to give a better flow etc not a huge open plan extention.
    50 k would do a lot of work to a normal house that wanted to improve it a bit . we would all love a 100% renovated house but most could never do that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Roadtoad

My biggest annoyance at R2I is that it focuses on some made up drama rather than the technical details of the build. But that has never been a feature of the program, unlike Duncan Stewart's home improvement show

Yeah, I would like more tech stuff too, especially about grants and enviro. Like his own referece to a 30k grant, why? Duncan had something that should be built on, even if DB doesn't want to get into too much detail.

Advertisement