Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Room to Improve (v2)

Comments

FFVII wrote: »
    every other post could probably be deleted!!

It'd be some discussion forum, alright. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭FFVII

It'd be some discussion forum, alright. :rolleyes:

Some discussion alright

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,562 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

tototoe wrote: »
    Absolutely, but this show comes across like it's being shoved in your face. The numbers are huge and
    It's not relatable for most people...a bit like most of RTÉ's output. They are living in their own " star" bubble and considering the state of RTÉ's finances, it's not a good look for a supposedly public sector broadcaster. It's been a common theme for room to improve the last couple of seasons

Shoved in your face? Apart from a few unfortunate partners, I don't think anyone is forced to watch it.

What a lot of people are forgetting is that the in a typical 3 or 4 bed house built in the 70 or 80s could easily have 100k sunk into it and you'd barely notice apart from thinking "oh you freshened up the place". The sad reality is that for the past 8 to 10 years construction inflation has been so strong that your 200k build in 2010 is over 300k now the budgets of the early seasons are a thing of the past.

You won't get anything meaningful from €150k in a Dublin property - not anything you could make a TV show like this from anyway. All you'd get is a sun room and a refurbished home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,994 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Probably cost in the region of 1.5 million in the end including cost of purchase.

Now I have nothing bad to say about Drumcondra, but come on now!

Mad money for this IMO of course. Happy to be corrected!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

Probably cost in the region of 1.5 million in the end including cost of purchase.

Now I have nothing bad to say about Drumcondra, but come on now!

Mad money for this IMO of course. Happy to be corrected!

Exactly. Over a million for a house in Drumcondra is nuts. Not a bad place but not the greatest either.

• Advertisement

Shoved in your face? Apart from a few unfortunate partners, I don't think anyone is forced to watch it.

What a lot of people are forgetting is that the in a typical 3 or 4 bed house built in the 70 or 80s could easily have 100k sunk into it and you'd barely notice apart from thinking "oh you freshened up the place". The sad reality is that for the past 8 to 10 years construction inflation has been so strong that your 200k build in 2010 is over 300k now the budgets of the early seasons are a thing of the past.

You won't get anything meaningful from €150k in a Dublin property - not anything you could make a TV show like this from anyway. All you'd get is a sun room and a refurbished home.

Most people just want a downstairs loo, a new kitchen and bathroom, bi fold doors (;)) and maybe painting and decorating. Few can aspire to the absolute ends that Bannon and his carefully selected clients go to.

I'd really like to see "Refurb on a budget of 50k". That would be so interesting for most of us mortals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭tototoe

But it's not public money? Dermot's show, you could argue he gets a few euro off RTE, but every other episode of the show is Joe Soap members of the public spending their own money.

Even in Dermot's case, he probably makes a few euro off RTE, but let him at it. What's the issue?

A lot of people in Ireland are struggling.. a lot are thriving. RTE is showing us what people are doing. If the nation was broke and we were all struggling to re-tile the bathroom, then that's what would be on Room To Improve, surely?

People spending 1.5 million are few and far between. The vast majority are not spending that. But rte are pushing Dermot and this show as one of their flagships it's simply not real life for most people. Not even close.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,523 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

while that maybe true in dublin it is not down the country.
    there are lots of houses where 30-50k would do a nice renovation or rearrange of a badly laid out house. . my own unce did a job on his house for 30k and really oened up the kitchen area and transformed the space from mostly wasted adn cluttered into a large open area with a smaller sitting room area at one end . he gained a lot more usable space that he thought.

a few eposodes like that each year would help. no body wants 30k budget every episode but a few 30-50 k a few 100k and one or two 300k would be nice.

tototoe wrote: »
    People spending 1.5 million are few and far between. The vast majority are not spending that. But rte are pushing Dermot and this show as one of their flagships it's simply not real life for most people. Not even close.

Ah but it is escapism, envy, begrudgery, throwing things at the telly and all that. We can't help it as a nation we are hard wired :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,368 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

If he did a from scratch home that would be cool, from site to house cutting all possible corners for the lowest possible price. I'd watch that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭tototoe

Ah but it is escapism, envy, begrudgery, throwing things at the telly and all that. We can't help it as a nation we are hard wired :P

Ah horse manure, what he does with his money is his business, but as a tv show last night wad self indulgent drivel. Begrudgery my eye. The money spent on the likes of grand designs is often bigger, but it's actually a decent show about architecture and Kevin mccloud does a very good job.

Room to improve has become about Dermot and last night's show was particularly bad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,507 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

He's entitled to throw whatever money he likes at his own house as far as I'm concerned. And make a tv show out if it while he's at it if it helps with the bills. An awful lot of people tuned in (650k according to F'Arcy today), so he's doing something right!!

But for the life of me I can't figure out why he'd leave himself looking like such an eejit from it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,301 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Most people just want a downstairs loo, a new kitchen and bathroom, bi fold doors (;)) and maybe painting and decorating. Few can aspire to the absolute ends that Bannon and his carefully selected clients go to.

I'd really like to see "Refurb on a budget of 50k". That would be so interesting for most of us mortals.
    Old house new home with George Clarke has builds sometimes more along that budget and generally really interesting imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,151 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

HeidiHeidi wrote: »

But for the life of me I can't figure out why he'd leave himself looking like such an eejit from it!

That’s the bit I don’t understand at all . Then again Dermot obviously is more interested in stardom than showing professionalism . His taking part in Vodaphone ads says a lot about his priorities .
    I genuinely wouldn’t dream of hiring him based on his lack of cop on and pride in his professionalism .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 719 ✭✭✭20/20

Does Dermot do the Vodafone adverts for FREE , just so he can still be on the telly when Room To Improve is not been repeated. ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

Does anyone know the name of the bar/cafe he had the first QS meeting in?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,608 ✭✭✭deisemum

LirW wrote: »

I read elsewhere that it's Sophie's - scene of swing gate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭Akabusi

The fact he decided to do this program on his own house says all we need to know about him really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,390 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

iamwhoiam wrote: »

And a huge amount of hashtag spam - tweets from India, Nigeria, Australia with nothing to do with Dermot or the show piggybacking on the hashtag to get more views - bit of a PITA

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Akabusi wrote: »
    The fact he decided to do this program on his own house says all we need to know about him really.

Boring, visually uninteresting, too square, and transparent....sound familiar...:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Why do people like to go out of their way to be nasty about others. I noticed similar in discussion about bloggers. I don't like them or follow any of them but the amount of hostility aimed at people just because they share parts of their personal or professional life is mind boggling.

Is it too hard just not to watch the programme and not use him as an architect when you build? Some have to make petty nasty remarks that have to do very little with the programme. (I'm not talking about actual criticism of his work although I never saw so many experts in architecture and house building in one thread). It just seems to me people are excusing their own failures by slinging mud at others. A really pathetic character trait.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,301 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

deisemum wrote: »
    I read elsewhere that it's Sophie's - scene of swing gate.
    I think most people were saying it was laylas

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,668 ✭✭✭Glebee

meeeeh wrote: »
    Why do people like to go out of their way to be nasty about others. I noticed similar in discussion about bloggers. I don't like them or follow any of them but the amount of hostility aimed at people just because they share parts of their personal or professional life is mind boggling.

Is it too hard just not to watch the programme and not use him as an architect when you build? Some have to make petty nasty remarks that have to do very little with the programme. (I'm not talking about actual criticism of his work although I never saw so many experts in architecture and house building in one thread). It just seems to me people are excusing their own failures by slinging mud at others. A really pathetic character trait.

That seems to be the age we live in unfortunatly. People feel the need to comment on evertyhing online( were doing it on boards I suppose) and alot of it is nasty.

LirW wrote: »

The Devlin hotel in Ranelagh

meeeeh wrote: »

Why are you being so nasty?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Why are you being so nasty?

Isn't that the spirit of this thread?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 521 ✭✭✭maxsmum

The show was really odd. He doesn't reply to emails concerning his own house... didn't leave me with confidence in him as a professional at all! He was so indecisive and didn't have a clue about money. I know some of it was him anguishing as a homeowner, but still. Would have been nice to see his family in it to give it another dimension.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

I have to say I looked forward to this show and wasn't disappointed.

Dermot is a busy man and only sees the position he is in from his business point of view. He couldn't empathise on how consuming and stressful a big project is, and his is absolutely insanely gigantic (I'm surprised he got planning for something so substantial).
    Now he's right in the middle of it and is hit with the sledgehammer of renovation. I remember ours, during it I was absolutely miserable because it consumes every thought. He copes poorly with it and makes mistakes, the same mistakes everyone makes but he can't point it out to himself.
    I honestly hope he sees this as a lesson of how stressful the building phase is and can empathise more with future (off-screen) clients.

Also the price isn't surprising to me. Drumcondra is pretty up-market, he paid to stay in this expensive patch in Dublin. The house itself is nice and I appreciate that Dermot has this love for old things and tries to work with it instead of tearing it down. The finished build will have just over 300sqm and he goes for state of the art energy efficiency. For this he'll pay Dublin prices. He knows loads of people and naturally has super high standards. All the glass is horrifyingly expensive. 1,5 mio for an A-rated 300sqm house in one of the top spots on the Northside completely overhauled in a strong housing market? Yeah nah, doesn't surprise me, especially if the new-builds down in Phibsborough were priced with just under a mil but far inferior in size, garden and style. He's not building in rural Waterford.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,950 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

The main thing that surprised me was Dermot keeping the doors , handles etc , for future use , after he was so dismissive of the man who sold everything on Done Deal instead of throwing them in the skip .

He must have learnt a lesson from that renovation !

Advertisement