Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Room to Improve (v2)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Mam of 4 wrote: »
    The main thing that surprised me was Dermot keeping the doors , handles etc , for future use , after he was so dismissive of the man who sold everything on Done Deal instead of throwing them in the skip .

He must have learnt a lesson from that renovation !

If he brought yer man from Tipp in to clear out the house, he would have enough from the sales to do the garden for free:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,755 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

The main thing that surprised me was Dermot keeping the doors , handles etc , for future use , after he was so dismissive of the man who sold everything on Done Deal instead of throwing them in the skip .

I think Demot wants keep some of the original features in the house because he liked them.
    With the house in Tipp he thought everything belonged in the skip because he thought nobody would want it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

My favourite part was how he sold the columns from his entrance for 40 quid a pop. Couldn't believe it! That was such a great episode

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 719 ✭✭✭20/20

meeeeh wrote: »

Is it too hard just not to watch the programme and not use him as an architect when you build? Some have to make petty nasty remarks that have to do very little with the programme.

Yes its very hard not to watch him. His show is been repeated right now on RTE and will be on again on RTE+1 straight after.
    His show will also be repeated next Sunday at 13.40 and again on RTE+1 straight after.
    So with his one programme been shown six times in a week its hard not to watch, plus it will be repeated more times during the year. A lot of people a sick of him and his opinions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,683 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

meeeeh wrote: »
    Why do people like to go out of their way to be nasty about others. I noticed similar in discussion about bloggers. I don't like them or follow any of them but the amount of hostility aimed at people just because they share parts of their personal or professional life is mind boggling.

Is it too hard just not to watch the programme and not use him as an architect when you build? Some have to make petty nasty remarks that have to do very little with the programme. (I'm not talking about actual criticism of his work although I never saw so many experts in architecture and house building in one thread). It just seems to me people are excusing their own failures by slinging mud at others. A really pathetic character trait.

Must say I agree with this post. The amount of posters on here feeling the need to express that "I wouldnt let Dermot Bannon within an asses roar of my house" makes me laugh because it is just pure soapboxing and showboating.

Like there are thousands of architects in the country, nobody is forcing you to use him. And even if you wanted hire him he has a long queue out the door just for work on the northside of Dublin alone. He has no need to even bother himself crossing the river to the southside to make a living these days.

Its like some posters imagine that suddenly out of nowhere they see Dermot Bannon walking up their driveway with an architects drawing tube under his arm and they have to run him off their property. Because if they dont he will inevitably ruin their 1970s bungalow with the brown boxy windows that they like.

"Oi Bannon, you've come within an asses roar of my house!"
    *waves fist*
    "Now get the fcuk off myyyyy land before you destroy my brown boxy windows"
    Bannon: "Driver, back to Drumcondra please, these people clearly didnt want me begging them to be their architect"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭awanderer

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Must say I agree with this post. The amount of posters on here feeling the need to express that "I wouldnt let Dermot Bannon within an asses roar of my house" makes me laugh because it is just pure soapboxing and showboating.

Like there are thousands of architects in the country, nobody is forcing you to use him. And even if you wanted hire him he has a long queue out the door just for work on the northside of Dublin alone. He has no need to even bother himself crossing the river to the southside to make a living these days.

Its like some posters imagine that suddenly out of nowhere they see Dermot Bannon walking up their driveway with an architects drawing tube under his arm and they have to run him off their property. Because if they dont he will inevitably ruin their 1970s bungalow with the brown boxy windows that they like.

"Oi Bannon, you've come within an asses roar of my house!"
    *waves fist*
    "Now get the fcuk off myyyyy land before you destroy my brown boxy windows"
    Bannon: "Driver, back to Drumcondra please, these people clearly didnt want me begging them to be their architect"

Most of the posts on this page (and others) were light hearted and humourous. Why go looking for negative posts and then post a negative post complaining about negative posts?

Wouldn't it be more productive to counteract the negativity by posting something positive?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

20/20 wrote: »
    Yes its very hard not to watch him. His show is been repeated right now on RTE and will be on again on RTE+1 straight after.
    His show will also be repeated next Sunday at 13.40 and again on RTE+1 straight after.
    So with his one programme been shown six times in a week its hard not to watch, plus it will be repeated more times during the year. A lot of people a sick of him and his opinions.

Well maybe you should watch less tv. There are other things you can do you know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭kerryjack

That's RTE nothing to do with the man himself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,950 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

LirW wrote: »
    My favourite part was how he sold the columns from his entrance for 40 quid a pop. Couldn't believe it! That was such a great episode

It was such a lovely episode , he really loved his wife to be , and making a bit of cash when emptying the house was what most ordinary people would do imo anyway !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

Preview clip for the second episode of Dermot’s House shows Dermot having to do some work himself in the garden.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,125 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

honeybear wrote: »
    Preview clip for the second episode of Dermot’s House shows Dermot having to do some work himself in the garden.

Yeah, he really gives the impression that he is more at ease using a pencil than manual labour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,964 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

honeybear wrote: »
    I was just cringing at that, theres no way in hell him with all his contacts ended up having to do manual labour in his garden himself, this is just pure fabricated panto for us to sit through. RTE really need to realise theres a gap in the market for a real programme about building a house from scratch or doing up an existing build on a budget or at least with realistic figures involved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭wetoutside19

Only just watched this weeks show. Worst example of an RTÉ show “jumping the shark”

It’s become a terribly and obvious scripted reality show. I really hope RTÉ are not paying him too much.

I actually think it’s damaging his professional reputation, surely any architect knows the difference between a €350k build and a €650k build. Another example is the window scene where he visits another house and is shocked by curved triple glazing reflections saying I incorporated these windows into many houses but never realised this problem. I wouldn’t go near him, seems like a disaster

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Vim Fuego

Once this one goes out on Sunday, is it back to normal for the show the following week? Or will we be waiting a few months for the next season?

It really is missing something with him being his own client, no wonder they got Patricia back and Diarmuid Gavin got drafted in - just anyone else for him to bounce off. Otherwise, we would have gotten an almost entirely solipsistic disaster where Dermot encases himself in windows and plywood while not returning his own phone calls to himself.

Also, Patrick Freyne's article in the Irish Times this week was wonderful: https://www.irishtimes.com/culture/patrick-freyne-it-is-now-late-period-dermot-bannon-he-is-on-the-verge-of-losing-it-1.4134770

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Newuseruntaken

Dermot is always pushing plywood on his clients, will he put it in his own home in tonight’s episode? Will he fcuk!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,507 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

He had it in his old kitchen though. Looked great!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

HeidiHeidi wrote: »

He also had handles on the doors!

I’m looking forward to seeing the finished product.

As much as the programme about his own house annoyed me (not to mention puzzled me - why on earth would you let it turn out like it did?? :confused:) (the programme, not the house!)

I'd have to give him credit for having the courage of his convictions - yes, he had plywood in his old kitchen (and may well have it in the new one, or sleek handleless cupboards, or both, who knows), he's putting in a huge glass wall. His old house was white throughout, and very spare looking.

I think he's a complete eejt for doing it at all, but he can't be accused of being a "do as I say, not as I do" merchant.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Newuseruntaken

HeidiHeidi wrote: »

We don’t know if he put that in himself or if it was always there. If he put it in himself he may just of wanted the cheapest kitchen possible as he had young children.

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭barney shamrock

It's a soap opera at this stage.
    Same $hite every week.
    I've given up on it.

• Advertisement

We don’t know if he put that in himself or if it was always there. If he put it in himself he may just of wanted the cheapest kitchen possible as he had young children.

Jesus, he can't win, can he :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,523 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

plywood kitchens are not cheap

Having read Liam Fay’s cutting review in the Sunday Times, I decided to have a look at Episode 1 myself.

Yes, it’s scripted and hammed up, but it is light entertainment and obviously draws a large audience. Given that, I enjoyed it, the more so for the appearance of Patricia Power who is clearly a commensurate professional and well able to deal with Dermot’s flights of fancy and his inability to produce anything on time - drawings, decisions, etc - or stick to anything once drawn or decided.

In fact, she was the star of the show for me. I’d employ her every time if I needed a client focused QS on a job

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,378 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

The front window have looked better with a pitched roof instead of the box window. Looks totally out of place.

I felt it made him look like a bit of an eejit at times especially when he was speaking with the lighting engineer. I expect any architect to be aware of this - especially one who continually uses large glass areas in his projects.

I don't get the need architecturally for the three pitches in the rear extension which will not really be seen. He has given himself a potential flooding issue with the hidden downpipe in order to match the pitches with the area yet on the front where it will be seen he has a box window. From an architectural perspective this makes like sense to me.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,125 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

I too did not like the window at the front, at odds with the style of the house.

Despite all the drama and our fault finding with him and the show, we will all still tune in tonight.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Millionaire only not

Just watching it pure junk - going to Oxford fr what ? Your mans architecture is not suitable! The lecture hall they showed was terrible!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,087 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Do we know what he paid for the original house?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,044 ✭✭✭appledrop

Yep just under €900k then spending €600k on refurb.

The mind boggles!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭FFVII

The bit in the clip where your man says "ah Dermot"

Looks like could be good.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

appledrop wrote: »
    Yep just under €900k then spending €600 on refurb.

The mind boggles!

Doesn't sound too bad:pac:

Advertisement