Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Room to Improve (v2)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 749 ✭✭✭EmptyTree

The house was beautiful in fairness, it's a pity there was so much nonsense drama in the show. It would have been much better if they portrayed him as a talented architect and had him explain all his decisions would have been much more interesting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,044 ✭✭✭appledrop

I'm actually underwhelmed by house + trust me it's not jealousy!

Downstairs is beautiful with big open plan kicthen/family room but I really dont like the finish of kitchen units. I know it's just personal taste but not a fan of pale wood + stupid tiny door knobs like from 1970s/1980s council kitchen units. I totally understand workmanship that has gone into it but I dont like it.

Garden is fab apart from ridiculous tin shed thing at back.

However it's the upstairs that I'm totally underwhelmed by. My own house is nicer! Seriously very boring plain + quite small bedrooms + no wow bathroom which would be a big thing for me if I was gutting my house.

There was an interesting looking kinda den room at top but barely got a glimpse of it.

Do you know what after watching that I'm actually happy in my own house that doesn't cost ridiculous money!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 309 ✭✭Muttley79

But he got his Ferrari, god loves a chancer !

He did get his Ferrari but not a chance did he get it for that price!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,917 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

The house he went to visit with the cabinet maker was amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Hatshepsut

Considering the tit Dermot made of himself tonight and on last week's show, can anyone really be that surprised that Louise, his wife, made the decision not to be shown on camera???
    She has my full sympathies anyway, being married to him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭MintyMagnum

Did Patricia change teeth since last episode?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,324 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

minikin wrote: »
    He should have invited all the previous RTI clients and the builders he had worked with to his own housewarming. Would have been a nice touch.

They were all outside the big window, you just couldn't see them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭NSAman

Jaysus some btchy comments on here..

Keep ‘em coming.

(530k...my arse)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,401 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

It would be awkward with the one's that sued him!

Who sued him?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,044 ✭✭✭appledrop

Architecticually, I love the design of back of house but I am surprised it got planning permission because its not in keeping with the rest of road.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,752 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Who sued him?

The woman who lived near the N7 in Rathcool!

There was also talks about another couple as well.

Hatshepsut wrote: »
    Considering the tit Dermot made of himself tonight and on last week's show, can anyone really be that surprised that Louise, his wife, made the decision not to be shown on camera???
    She has my full sympathies anyway, being married to him.

A woman being married to a fairly successful architect who can deliver a home like Dermot deviled tonight has your sympathies! I'm a tad lost to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭sideswipe

I enjoyed the show and liked the end result. I like him and respect the wife decision not to go on camera.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Millionaire only not

Did Patricia change teeth since last episode?

I actually wudnt mind a closer look ! I think she’s very attractive and sexy !

sideswipe wrote: »
    I enjoyed the show and liked the end result. I like him and respect the wife decision not to go on camera.

Same here, I like him too. So much begrudgery on this thread, same every single episode . What people forget is this is a TV show , with a celebrity architect, edited and presented to be entertaining. Whether it is or not is a different story . Take it for what it is , enjoy it or don’t watch it .

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Hatshepsut

A woman being married to a fairly successful architect who can deliver a home like Dermot deviled tonight has your sympathies! I'm a tad lost to be honest.

It's not his bank balance, success or architectural skills. I'd say he'd drive you doolally being married to him - never on time, can't make a decision to save his life, can't stick to his decisions, Walter Mitty type ideas.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭MintyMagnum

Neighbours must have no sun til evening with the size of that extension

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

Same here, I like him too. So much begrudgery on this thread, same every single episode . What people forget is this is a TV show , with a celebrity architect, edited and presented to be entertaining. Whether it is or not is a different story . Take it for what it is , enjoy it or don’t watch it .

“enjoy it or don’t watch it”.
    Sorry sweetmaggie I didn’t realise you didn’t allow any critiscm of Room To Improve here on the Room to Improve discussion thread that you own.
    I won’t post again. Sorry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭iano.p

He did in my eye get all that for 530k I was expecting more. It's nice but for me it wasn't wow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,377 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

EmptyTree wrote: »
    It would have been much better if they portrayed him as a talented architect and had him explain all his decisions would have been much more interesting.

Definitely this! Discuss the small things that make and tie things together. Why do this and not that etc. Would have been some interesting.

Needs different architects and budgets. It's frustrating to see problems being solved by throwing money at it instead of redesigning or compromising.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

Finished job is fab.
    I loved the lighting, and the way they painted the ceilings the same colour as the walls in the kids rooms.

The garden is just fantastic. I’d love it. I’ve had crazy quotes for a much more modest garden, so am not as surprised at the figures mentioned.

But the best was the kitchen they visited.
    I’m going to remember that (for when I win the lotto).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

sideswipe wrote: »
    I certainly wouldn't like him if I lived next door in the shade of that rear extension. Surely his neighbour's house has been devalued with that huge extension blocking out the sunlight.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,483 ✭✭✭KevRossi

I think he didn't finish the garden the way it was supposed to be done. The grass is clearly carpet, so probably just laid for the filming. The box plants can be removed afterwards. If that is the finished article then why did he employ Diarmud Gavin as it clearly is not Gavin's work. I would think they are mates and DB gave him a bit of exposure. I did like the steps at the start, that looks good and i like the idea of listening to rain on a tin roof, a sound I loved from my childhood.

Having said that I loved Gavin's garden, I prefer that to an over-manicured strip of lawn.

On Dermots house I don't think it looks like €530K. The sitting room floor is nice, but it isn't striking. The kitchen island is way too big, would be better served with a large kitchen table in the middle that they could sit around. Also, the cooking smells go straight upstairs, which is not nice (had it in a previous house, the bedclothes pick up any cooking odours).

I noticed he had no sunken sitting room that he puts in every other house to break up a large room, in some builds he actually pushed it on people who were unsure about it. Most of the rest of the house is fine. Doubt the neighbours are too happy with his 12 month build, big lump of a window box and people cruising past the house to get a look at it from now on.

I think the programme tried to be 3 things in one and succeded at none of them;
    1. A journey for Dermot to see architects and designs that influenced him (Oxford & house in Kildare)
    2. A rebuild and remodelling of a house
    3. A reality show with a lot of scripting to get laughs/outrage

He needs to decide which one he wants to do and stick to it.

The bit where he got emotional about his Dad I found very touching, I was genuinely moved by that. I also liked some of the comments his brother made about him; making Lego houses in his bedroom and looking at houses along the road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

In his defense, it’s not necessarily an architects job to cost and be practical?
    Aren’t they purely about design?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

iano.p wrote: »
    He did in my eye get all that for 530k I was expecting more. It's nice but for me it wasn't wow.

I assume plus the cost of the house?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

It's easier to knock than to build, as Dermot found out twice with his wall before the garden.

I enjoyed the episode and thought the house looked well, especially as it's an A rated building now as well. Great view to the garden and will be even more so as the newer section matures.

Not so sure about plain glass in front of the bath in the shed, though:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,870 ✭✭✭Redo91

Am I right in saying the extension alone was around 2,500 Square feet based on what he said when outlining the plans to the QS? Looked to me like the house was in and around that when finished but must have been bigger if that’s how big the extension was to the original house.

Next week!
    Dr Eva's Great Escape!
    Three-part series following Dr Eva Orsmond and her husband as they take on the ambitious task of renovating a derelict hotel in Portugal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,200 ✭✭✭jos28

While I found the programme frustrating and very badly edited, I'm delighted for Dermot and his family. They got their dream home in an area they love, the kids don't have to change schools, sports clubs etc. It's a fabulous space that will cater for the years ahead as their children grow. I'd imagine there will be lots of lovely occasions to be had there and the best of luck to them.

I certainly didn't like a lot of the design choices - the big black picture window at the front, the gulleys between the roof sections and I'd hate to have my kitchen island in the middle of the house. I'd much prefer to be looking out at the garden while prepping the dinner. But it's not my house, it's Dermot's and I'm sure himself and his family will be very happy there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭FFVII

Lovely end job, it’s fab and I especially love the garden. I’d say as time goes on the garden will mature and grow. It was a bit annoying at times , but no point in going on about the cost of it on top on what he paid for the house. It’s obviously what he wants and where he wants it , for his wife and kids too. I wouldn’t say he’s too worried about costs, Dermot is on big money these days . Wish him well.

But the garden ended up just being a few steps, a lawn with a few box bushes and a palm in a 4 wall rockery thing. Nice job in the end, timber ceilings, multi level windows and floor to ceiling doors made it.

Advertisement