Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Room to Improve (v2)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

Simply because of the way they cut it, I was motivated to use all my sleuthing skills to find the house. He has never said in an interview where it is located, beyond saying its in Wicklow, that I could see.

Easy enough to find when you know the right (publicly available) database to look up however.

https://www.instagram.com/explore/locations/3685560/kilmacanogue/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭ActingDanClark

Simply because of the way they cut it, I was motivated to use all my sleuthing skills to find the house. He has never said in an interview where it is located, beyond saying its in Wicklow, that I could see.

Easy enough to find when you know the right (publicly available) database to look up however.

His is the one with the ten foot tall metal daisies in the front garden

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,560 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

His is the one with the ten foot tall metal daisies in the front garden

It's hardly inconspicuous so! Lol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,664 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

I thought they were the 2 most boring episodes in the history of the show, no aggro or drama and everyone agreeing with each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Newuseruntaken

Why are architects so well paid? I’m not begrudging him, I’m genuinely curious. It would take most degree educated people about 6 lifetimes to afford a house like that. How come there is such a big gap between architects and normal people? Do you have to be a maths genius to be an architect? Or are there certain limits on how many people can do the degree course each year? I wouldn’t of thought that it would be an extremely difficult job but open to correction.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,799 ✭✭✭micks_address

He has a architecture business though? It's not a one man show
    Why are architects so well paid? I’m not begrudging him, I’m genuinely curious. It would take most degree educated people about 6 lifetimes to afford a house like that. How come there is such a big gap between architects and normal people? Do you have to be a maths genius to be an architect? Or are there certain limits on how many people can do the degree course each year? I wouldn’t of thought that it would be an extremely difficult job but open to correction.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭Alicano

Icsics wrote: »
    And just like that...finished!

Thank you!!!! I cannot stand this. My god.. All this drama and nonsense dragged out over 2 episodes. No talk about driveway or any interior bits.
    And then suddenly the camera is panning to the left with job all done and everyone having the lols..
    Utter sh1te :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Newuseruntaken

He has a architecture business though? It's not a one man show

Business or no business, he’s only in his 40s and spending close to 1.5 million on a house. Before tax he would of needed to earn 3 million. And I’m sure he hasn’t put every penny he has into the house.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,151 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Business or no business, he’s only in his 40s and spending close to 1.5 million on a house. Before tax he would of needed to earn 3 million. And I’m sure he hasn’t put every penny he has into the house.

I am sure most of it belongs to the bank . And maybe his wife also earns good money ? Or he could have inherited some of it .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭FFVII

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    I am sure most of it belongs to the bank . And maybe his wife also earns good money ? Or he could have inherited some of it .

10 years rte aswell

• Advertisement

FFVII wrote: »
    10 years rte aswell

And Vodaphone ads !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,752 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

He probably get's the Volvo to!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,605 ✭✭✭prunudo

They cut the shots around DGs house really tight, presumably to make it difficult to identify what part of Wicklow he lives in.

If you follow him on Instagram he has previously posted plenty of photos of how the garden got to where it is today. Its a real oasis now compared to what it started as but the camera shots last faltered it a lot too. Its more built up than you'd think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

He is advertising cash cow for RTE so I presume he is well paid for the show too. Also Ireland has some brilliant architects who are a lot more respected outside Ireland. I was a Slovenian architectural magazine and there was an article about Mullingar co co offices and what a brilliant design it is. I haven't seen it mentioned at all in Ireland. Sometimes people barely distinguish between architectural technicians and architects, however those in the know will recognize quality.

Btw in Slovenia where I am from architecture would be one of hardest studies to get into. Not every donkey can be a good architect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭kerryjack

I presume he sold his old home just up the road probably had that paid for probably had 200K in the bank and the rest probably a mortgage like the rest of us.

Diarmuid Gavin has before and after pictures of his house and garden on Instagram and it’s very impressive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,439 ✭✭✭NSAman

meeeeh wrote: »
    He is advertising cash cow for RTE so I presume he is well paid for the show too. Also Ireland has some brilliant architects who are a lot more respected outside Ireland. I was a Slovenian architectural magazine and there was an article about Mullingar co co offices and what a brilliant design it is. I haven't seen it mentioned at all in Ireland. Sometimes people barely distinguish between architectural technicians and architects, however those in the know will recognize quality.

Btw in Slovenia where I am from architecture would be one of hardest studies to get into. Not every donkey can be a good architect.

Agree there are some seriously GOOD Irish architects out there. Projects that you never see on Irish Websites or Media.

Places like Dezeen.com / Internationalarchitectureawards.com / etc...etc...

I am always shocked that some of the architecture in Ireland is so badly published... Mind you the RIAI are not exactly known for putting on a good exhibition of their fantastic *yawn* Awards program each year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,994 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Have to say I am beyond the hundreds of thousands that are spent on every episode I've seen so far.

That is not real life for most. But maybe the odd peasant with 50k to spend slipped in there somewhere that I didn't see!

As I have already said, I don't begrudge anyone what they spend on their houses, if they can afford it, good luck to them.

But the REAL information and fun would be for an ordinary house to be absolutely uplifted by say 50k with a 10k contingency. That would sort out the architects from the realists!

Would be great to watch such a transformation. I know it couldn't involve massive extensions, Glass walls, garden design and so on, but honestly, that is beyond the vast majority of people. Just a few great ideas on a budget would interest me totally. Anyone agree?

I am watching George Clark , Ugly house to Lovely house . Its is far far more interesting than R to Improve . The transformation is amazing and we see far more of the nitty gritty build

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,044 ✭✭✭appledrop

Spanish eyes I think the majority agree with you.

When room to improve started that's what it was all about. There was a recap there recently I think in the indo of houses 10 years on + one of the couples had a budget of 35k.

Anyone can design a fancy pants house with hundreds of thousands. As you said it would take a very good one to make changes on shoe string budget.

People in Ireland put small extensions on houses all the time but some aren't well done due to not consulting with architects/professionals. Wouldn't it be interesting if they were ones on programme?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,044 ✭✭✭appledrop

Also in those early episodes very little fake drama + indepth detail on house build.

The current editor needs to be sacked.

I am watching George Clark , Ugly house to Lovely house . Its is far far more interesting than R to Improve . The transformation is amazing and we see far more of the nitty gritty build

He’s not the architect though and hadn’t the same involvement.

Have to say I am beyond the hundreds of thousands that are spent on every episode I've seen so far.

That is not real life for most. But maybe the odd peasant with 50k to spend slipped in there somewhere that I didn't see!

As I have already said, I don't begrudge anyone what they spend on their houses, if they can afford it, good luck to them.

But the REAL information and fun would be for an ordinary house to be absolutely uplifted by say 50k with a 10k contingency. That would sort out the architects from the realists!

Would be great to watch such a transformation. I know it couldn't involve massive extensions, Glass walls, garden design and so on, but honestly, that is beyond the vast majority of people. Just a few great ideas on a budget would interest me totally. Anyone agree?

Absolutely agree . A small extension for the kids , an added on downstairs bathroom for the older person , ideas to make rooms work better for families ,and how to increase storage . I think most of us could relate to that , like you I am over the massive budget huge extension now

Addle wrote: »

Yeh , its still far more interesting

• Site Banned Posts: 7 King Mog

appledrop wrote: »
    Spanish eyes I think the majority agree with you.

When room to improve started that's what it was all about. There was a recap there recently I think in the indo of houses 10 years on + one of the couples had a budget of 35k.

Anyone can design a fancy pants house with hundreds of thousands. As you said it would take a very good one to make changes on shoe string budget.

People in Ireland put small extensions on houses all the time but some aren't well done due to not consulting with architects/professionals. Wouldn't it be interesting if they were ones on programme?

There’s always the farce of the budget being exceeded (pretend pretend)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,439 ✭✭✭NSAman

Addle wrote: »

Agree, he may not be the architect but it shows more of the nuts and bolts of the build and the problems involved. Same as Grand Designs a program I love and is well done.

RTI started off this this idea but ended up being a flash entertainment program. The VAST majority of people need smaller projects to be shown on how to/ get ideas/ what is available. Not everyone has a budget of 200K-400K and can go over budget by a massive amount (think the couple in Wicklow ... lovely house but nearly twice the budget?????)

1. Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,151 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

appledrop wrote: »
      Also in those early episodes very little fake drama + indepth detail on house build.

The current editor needs to be sacked.

An editor works to the spec of the producer . The editors job is to cut not to guide or lead how the episode is portrayed . That is the producers or directors decision

2. Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

The shows main focus has always been Dermot.
      The budgets have changed, but the main focus hasn’t.

3. Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,044 ✭✭✭appledrop

An editor works to the spec of the producer . The editors job is to cut not to guide or lead how the episode is portrayed . That is the producers or directors decision

Well whoever it was that decided in every episode this series to show 90% of house unfinished until last 5 minutes than bam done!

4. Advertisement
    5. Registered Users Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭Reati

Its far from a secret or requires any actuall sleuthing. He has stated it a few times where he lives.

Advertisement