Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Room to Improve (v2)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,560 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

I didn't use an architect, no, but I never would have, considering I fairly well knew what I wanted before I started. Had I been doing an extension 'for the sake of it' or just hadn't any idea what design id like, etc. id have strongly considered an architect. My extension, like most, is effectively just a box on the back of the house, so an architect would have been overkill in my little project.

Again, though, I appreciate you can spend an unlimited amount of money on a house. I can buy an armchair in Ikea for €10, or I can buy a chair with one arm for a couple of grand, as posted above. There's never a limit on how much you can voluntarily spend.

However, my point is that there are floors on the cost of things. A sheet of 8x4 plasterboard is a tenner. Less if you've an account with them. That won't change much in the course of a house build. You can get a bathroom suite for less than €500.

I bought steel beams for above the sliding door. They're about 12ft long, and there are two of them. I spent €100 in Cisco. People need to stop pretending like this stuff costs in the thousands, when it simply doesn't.

Someone said above €50k wouldn't knock a supporting wall? Your cost would closer to €5k.
    It does cost thousands when you want an almost turnkey design. If I'm going to forego a certified build and procure materials myself, I'll absolutely be wanting it to come in significantly cheaper than if I didn't.

If be interested to know how you sized the steel beams over the door. Did you just eyeball it?

prunudo wrote: »
    Where are you getting plasterslab for a tenner?

Flanagan's in Duleek. DPL in Drogheda are the same, too, I believe. It's the same on Build4Less' site. It's the going rate.

be interested to know how you sized the steel beams over the door. Did you just eyeball it?

I've actually no idea how that was decided on. We knew the door was 10ft, and the beam is wider (probably wider than 12ft now that I think of it) but I wasn't involved in that, the builder just went off and came back with it, and a receipt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

Those recommending alternative tv shows, have you any Netflix recommendations?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,682 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

NSAman wrote: »
    The more unique the chair the pricier, especially if an original. I know we have a few pieces here by Eames and Rashid and a few others. Most of it (especially one chair was given to me by the designer which I hate ... the chair not the designer). Cannot get rid of it as it is too valuable and a present is still a present. ... Furniture can be a good investment.

Yeah original furniture by celebrated designers like Eileen Grey, Charles and Ray Eames, Le Courbusier etc can go for huge money. Eileen Grey currently holds the record for most money ever paid for a piece of furniture- 22 million euro for an original of her Dragon chair. Not bad for a young lass from Wexford. Its not even one of her better designs and I dont like it personally but it has the provenance of her owning and using it so its a very rare piece which drives up the price. There are a few of her originals on permanent display in Collins Barracks which would be worth a fair wedge too.
    https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/22m-irish-designers-chair-sells-for-an-arm-and-a-leg--26516759.html

I am extraordinarily lucky to have a (recent copy of) a Mies Van Der Rohe MR Chaise Lounge which is a stunning piece and is also extremely comfortable. A perfect blend of style and substance

Apologies for indulging myself and showing off a bit!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Banana Republic.

I'm jumping in late but the show was more about Dermot then it was about the construction of the house, before we knew it Dermot was showing ppl the house as the finished product. Would of loved to see Dermot Gavin planting the back garden and a bit more of the fitting of the tv and stove. Loved the episodes though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭FFVII

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Yeah original furniture by celebrated designers like Eileen Grey, Charles and Ray Eames, Le Courbusier etc can go for huge money. Eileen Grey currently holds the record for most money ever paid for a piece of furniture- 22 million euro for an original of her Dragon chair. Not bad for a young lass from Wexford. Its not even one of her better designs and I dont like it personally but it has the provenance of her owning and using it so its a very rare piece which drives up the price. There are a few of her originals on permanent display in Collins Barracks which would be worth a fair wedge too.
    https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/22m-irish-designers-chair-sells-for-an-arm-and-a-leg--26516759.html

The highest amount ever paid for a piece of furniture was €27.5m -- paid for an 18th century Badmington cabinet in 2004.

Nearly feel sorry for rich people, trying to find a hole for their millions.

A fecking chair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,506 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I'm jumping in late but the show was more about Dermot then it was about the construction of the house, before we knew it Dermot was showing ppl the house as the finished product. Would of loved to see Dermot Gavin planting the back garden and a bit more of the fitting of the tv and stove. Loved the episodes though.
    I'd be willing to bet a fairly large amount that Diarmuid Gavin had absolutely nothing to do with the planting of that garden! And not a whole lot of involvement with the eventual design of it either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,439 ✭✭✭NSAman

I am extraordinarily lucky to have a (recent copy of) a Mies Van Der Rohe MR Chaise Lounge which is a stunning piece and is also extremely comfortable. A perfect blend of style and substance

Apologies for indulging myself and showing off a bit!

Shame he was a Nazi sympathiser..;)

Not really a fan of Ludwig personally..I am lucky in that I have a few other designers and architects originals in the house. I have an eclectic style so people like Mendini (God rest him a lovely man) fit in perfectly.

If you are looking for modern and have the budget, there is an Irish designer who I LOVE Joseph Walsh who does amazing sculpture and furniture. https://www.josephwalshstudio.com/

FFVII wrote: »
    The highest amount ever paid for a piece of furniture was €27.5m -- paid for an 18th century Badmington cabinet in 2004.

A fecking chair.

Its mad stuff. Art world has gone crazy in the last 10 years too, paintings selling for more than 200 million at auction are now common. Huge influx of Chinese and Russian billionaires that werent around 10 years ago now driving prices up like crazy. Art is also a great store of wealth, once the artist is dead they aint producing anymore of it so it can only go up in price.

• Advertisement

NSAman wrote: »
    Shame he was a Nazi sympathiser..;)

Not really a fan of Ludwig personally..I am lucky in that I have a few other designers and architects originals in the house. I have an eclectic style so people like Mendini (God rest him a lovely man) fit in perfectly.

If you are looking for modern and have the budget, there is an Irish designer who I LOVE Joseph Walsh who does amazing sculpture and furniture. https://www.josephwalshstudio.com/

Thanks NSAman; I didn’t know that. But I still like the piece nonetheless :)

The Eileen Gray piece I really like is the little side table that used to be in the Aer Lingus lounge at the airport way back when. http://www.eileengray.co.uk/products/e1027/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Its mad stuff. Art world has gone crazy in the last 10 years too, paintings selling for more than 200 million at auction are now common. Huge influx of Chinese and Russian billionaires that werent around 10 years ago now driving prices up like crazy. Art is also a great store of wealth, once the artist is dead they aint producing anymore of it so it can only go up in price.

Is that true though? You don't hear much about record amounts Irish artists go for like they did during Celtic Tiger years. I wouldn't be surprised if value of some fell in subsequent years.

The Eileen Gray piece I really like is the little side table that used to be in the Aer Lingus lounge at the airport way back when. http://www.eileengray.co.uk/products/e1027/
    Ah now lookit, this is tat.

If you went in to home store & more tomorrow you'd struggle to give 30 euro for that.

Mass produced AliExpress piece if ever I saw it!!

Stick a massive price on it and suddenly "ohh la la"

Ah now lookit, this is tat.

If you went in to home store & more tomorrow you'd struggle to give 30 euro for that.

Mass produced AliExpress piece if ever I saw it!!

Stick a massive price on it and suddenly "ohh la la"

Look , I’m saying I like the design, not the stupid price - ok? :D

http://www.eileengray.co.uk/products/non-conformist/

£2500.

It's like something Id do!!

A mess.

Ah she must have been having a great laugh to herself selling these.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,151 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

£2500.

A mess.

Emperors New clothes springs to mind

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Emperors New clothes springs to mind

I'm the little boy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

£2500.
    A mess.

Yeah, but could you have done it 100 years ago? Doubtful.

Does anyone know where Buster works or is he a sole prop with a website? He does need his own show to be fair, he was great!

I couldn't find any link to him when I looked. I'd like to see his other work too.

£2500.

A mess.

You dont have to pay 2,500 for one, lots of good copies about for under 200. I have one at home several years now and its the best table in the house, the legs slide underneath the sofa perfectly so that the glass top hovers neatly over the sofa cushions to provide a convenient coffee table. Its a fabulous thoughtful design that mixes style and function really well.

The ones going for 2,500 are also copies but licensed and authorised by her estate. I know aram.co.uk has the reproduction rights in the UK, they have the right to reproduce a lot of mid century furniture whereby royalties go back to the designers estate. Was in their London store last weekend and the Eames chair was £6,500 odd. But theres always more manageable alternatives provided the quality is good.

• Advertisement

meeeeh wrote: »
    Is that true though? You don't hear much about record amounts Irish artists go for like they did during Celtic Tiger years. I wouldn't be surprised if value of some fell in subsequent years.

The high end of the art market has been booming for years now with new records constantly being set and then broken soon after. The global recession didnt seem to effect it at all.

High price ever paid for a painting back in 2012 was Edward Munch 'The Scream' for $119m and the art world went berserk . Then 2013 saw that record beaten by a triptych by Francis Bacon at $142m and they went into shock again.Then in 2015 a Jackson Pollack sold for $200m, cue more shock. As new billionaire money flooded the market records kept falling and today it stands at the $450m paid for a da Vinci last year, with the ruler of Saudi Arabia Mohammed bin Salman supposedly the new owner. The top end of the art market has basically become a plaything for billionaires trying to outdo each other.

As for prices paid for Irish artists I think the Tiger made a bubble for the local Irish market, some people 'had' to have a well known Irish artist hanging in their house and they drove prices up I remember Kevin Sharkey was selling paintings during the boom for 5k+ and he had a gallery both here and in London but then during the recession he was doing 500 euro specials out of a shop in Temple Bar !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

That's what I mean, a lot of boom in Chinese art is because of Chinese buyers flooding the market. A good recession in China and some 300k vase will be suddenly worth a lot less. Top top artists are different league although I think there is still some controversy about DaVinci.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Banana Republic.

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    I'd be willing to bet a fairly large amount that Diarmuid Gavin had absolutely nothing to do with the planting of that garden! And not a whole lot of involvement with the eventual design of it either.

Yea I couldn't disagree there, they usually show him sculpting the garden and putting it together, none of that this time, conspicuous by its absence. The budget is another mind bender watching this programme.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,506 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Yea I couldn't disagree there, they usually show him sculpting the garden and putting it together, none of that this time, conspicuous by its absence. The budget is another mind bender watching this programme.

I just wonder why on earth he lent his name/ profile/ reputation to it, and then let it turn out like that!

I remember Kevin Sharkey was selling paintings during the boom for 5k+ and he had a gallery both here and in London but then during the recession he was doing 500 euro specials out of a shop in Temple Bar !

Ah Kevin Sharkey. Ireland’s most bankable artist.
    The boom also has a lot to answer for in terms of people decorating their houses with Knuttle paintings. Horrible stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,199 ✭✭✭jos28

I got a present of a copy of that table from here. I love it.
    https://www.salternativefurniture.ie/collections/tables/products/eileen-gray-side-table

jos28 wrote: »
    I got a present of a copy of that table from here. I love it.
    https://www.salternativefurniture.ie/collections/tables/products/eileen-gray-side-table

Brilliant! Many thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 719 ✭✭✭20/20

A fecking chair.

Maybe it was worth so much because of the misspelling.
    Iam now thinking about putting my Badminton cabinet up on Adverts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 895 ✭✭✭brav

Any idea why these episodes are going from RTE Player with first gone already? Thought RTE own this programme

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,748 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

brav wrote: »
    Any idea why these episodes are going from RTE Player with first gone already? Thought RTE own this programme

Certain programs go after 30 days! (Well they used.)

Advertisement