Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Room to Improve (v2)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,044 ✭✭✭appledrop

For any of you interested in practical extensions to houses I'd recommend Kirsty & Phil love it or list it. Very good episodes in last 2 weeks with extensions/ refurb done on normal houses with 40k-60k budgets.

Very enjoyable + no over the top bling in sight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,682 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Looks like Bannon is in a spot of bother with the DCC planners over his garden shed

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/homes-and-property/planners-probe-dermot-bannon-s-garden-bath-den-1.4178421
    Celebrity architect Dermot Bannon has come a cropper with Dublin City Council over his own high profile extension, which was the subject of a recent RTÉ series.

The target of the council’s ire is the rear garden structure under which Bannon famously shared an outdoor bath with celebrity gardener Diarmuid Gavin. While a bumper Sunday night viewing audience watched the two chat in the (unfilled) bath under a moonlit sky, eagle-eyed council staff were drawn instead to the structure that Bannon fashioned at the end of his Drumcondra garden.

Following investigations and a warning from Dublin City Council, Bannon retrospectively applied in recent weeks for planning retention for his two storage sheds joined by a covered external space at the rear of the garden.

Rule no.1 of breaking the planning laws- don't go showing what you've done on national tv :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,605 ✭✭✭prunudo

The episode with Joe and his pillars is back on rte1 now. Some light relief for these mad times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,668 ✭✭✭Glebee

Never seen this one before. I like joe already.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,506 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Looks like Bannon is in a spot of bother with the DCC planners over his garden shed

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/homes-and-property/planners-probe-dermot-bannon-s-garden-bath-den-1.4178421

Rule no.1 of breaking the planning laws- don't go showing what you've done on national tv :pac:
    He won the (bath)day!

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/dermot-bannon-wins-open-bath-tub-planning-battle-with-neighbour-990573.html

• Advertisement

Glebee wrote: »
    Never seen this one before. I like joe already.

I haven't seen this one.

A house surely designed on the back of a fag box in '79, he seems a likeable chap.

Budget. LOL!

Lol from that article it seems like Dermot has a neighbour who wouldnt be a fan of him and his outdoor bath tub!
    In response to the planning application, a neighbour on Valentia Rd, Susan Taylor lodged an objection with the Council against the retention of the two storage sheds covering 17.3m2 and the covered external space covering 20.2sq m.

Ms Taylor told the council that “the structure is not in keeping with the character of the area constructed of corrugated metal roof”.

Ms Taylor also argued that “the use of the proposed development is not in keeping with the residential amenity of the area as evidenced by the exposed and open bath tub”.

Ms Taylor told the Council “the application for development should be refused”.

Anyway one of the best episodes of last season is on RTE right now, its Tipperary Joe and his done dealing

*spits on the hand*

"Fair play to you" :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,262 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

*spits on the hand*

"Fair play to you" :D

You wouldn't get away with that carry on now :)

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,748 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

The kitchen guy annoys me!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭Happy4all

with not much new on the tv, I watched tonight's re-run of a couple, Nigel & Frances from Ashford. They seem a nice couple, but I found the whole episode a journey of vulgar spending. Not much for the common man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,314 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I see Channel 5 are currently showing RTI each weekday morning at 11.15, currently showing series 9.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,305 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Bannon has new show starting tonight about small spaces

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,661 ✭✭✭StevenToast

Bannon is a real sickener

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭FFVII

Budgey, missed it. +1 for me

M

Loved the sunken garden in the house in Kildare, great space for get togethers particularly in Covid era.

M

Last place, €28k for a room to listen to records, I don't know, then again it's a nice secluded spot, they are a retired couple and don't need a home office so more power to them. It could easily be quickly modified in to a home bar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

Last place, €28k for a room to listen to records, I don't know, then again it's a nice secluded spot, they are a retired couple and don't need a home office so more power to them. It could easily be quickly modified in to a home bar.
    I saw that and thought that was a rip off. They even forgot to point the speakers to the listener (Forming a triangle) which is fairly basic stuff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,586 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Could do with a few more slow mo shots of Dermot looking in awe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

How much did the Polish cabin in the private woods cost, you would be fairly sickened looking at it tonight considering the housing crisis going on.

Most of them were fine but that one seemed very outlandish.

• Advertisement

I'd take the Polish cabin any day over the concrete house!

I thought it was fabulous.

And what's the housing crisis got to do with a couple building a cabin on their own land :confused: You'll be on about hospital beds next :rolleyes:

Didn't like the concrete house, didnt feel very homely to me but each to their own.

I mean more the whole show of considerable wealth that went into it. Dermot has got himself into trouble before for being tone deaf when it comes to some of the stuff he has on his show compared to the backdrop of whats going on in society.

Its a nice flex to be able to spot a cabin you like abroad, have it imported so fast and put it in your own woodland. All because you need to get away from the wife and kids.

Doing some research on it, hes had it for about 12 years. Up for sale at the moment if anyone wants to buy it with the house and land for 825K dropped 75K from two years ago.

https://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/sleepy-hollow-thornfield-lisnagry-limerick/4497621

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭Radio5

Did they have any parking space with the Drumcondra house?
    What part of the country was the guy with his own beach and the beach house?

Radio5 wrote: »
    Did they have any parking space with the Drumcondra house?

I don't think they said, but I can't imagine that they do.

What part of the country was the guy with his own beach and the beach house?

Ardee, Co. Louth

Most of the buildings featured (bar the beach hut this week) have been built years ago, so the points about clashing with the current housing crisis are moot - not that they would have anything to do with it at any time.

If people want to build a folly/mancave/musicroom/whatever for themselves, then off with them. If they see value in it, then it's good value!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    I'd take the Polish cabin any day over the concrete house!

I thought it was fabulous.

And what's the housing crisis got to do with a couple building a cabin on their own land :confused: You'll be on about hospital beds next :rolleyes:
    I loved the kitchen and the laundry room in the concrete house, and the privacy shutters.
    But the kids were playing on the beds and not the floors, which I thought was telling.

Addle wrote: »
    I loved the kitchen and the laundry room in the concrete house, and the privacy shutters.
    But the kids were playing on the beds and not the floors, which I thought was telling.
    Didn't notice the kids playing on the beds - but I did notice that the "master bedroom" on the ground floor was only separated by a 4/5-height partition, and I think the upstairs rooms looked fairly open plan as well (from the brief glimpse we got of them) - might suit their lifestyle, but I like to be able to close a door behind me!

I agree that the laundry room looked fantastic - fresh air, appliances up on a shelf, loads of storage - but using it as the kids' wardrobes? Not so sure about that! I'd say that'll go by the wayside as they get older....

Calhoun wrote: »
    Didn't like the concrete house, didnt feel very homely to me but each to their own.

I mean more the whole show of considerable wealth that went into it. Dermot has got himself into trouble before for being tone deaf when it comes to some of the stuff he has on his show compared to the backdrop of whats going on in society.

Its a nice flex to be able to spot a cabin you like abroad, have it imported so fast and put it in your own woodland. All because you need to get away from the wife and kids.

Doing some research on it, hes had it for about 12 years. Up for sale at the moment if anyone wants to buy it with the house and land for 825K dropped 75K from two years ago.

https://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/sleepy-hollow-thornfield-lisnagry-limerick/4497621

Where was the wealth gone into the log cabin? He said he saw one in Poland and wanted one himself. The impression I got was that it was one of those flat pack kit cabins where all the pieces are pre cut and its just a matter of assembling it on a site. You can import these from Poland, Estonia, Lithuania, etc and they are pretty cheap. Bannon asked him the price and it was something like 10k which I thought very reasonable, at least compared to the couple from last week who spent 28k on a music listening room which was far far smaller than the log cabin

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Where was the wealth gone into the log cabin? He said he saw one in Poland and wanted one himself. The impression I got was that it was one of those flat pack kit cabins where all the pieces are pre cut and its just a matter of assembling it on a site. You can import these from Poland, Estonia, Lithuania, etc and they are pretty cheap. Bannon asked him the price and it was something like 10k which I thought very reasonable, at least compared to the couple from last week who spent 28k on a music listening room which was far far smaller than the log cabin

I missed that bit on price , I'll have to rewatch. 10K seems very low considering where it's coming from and how it's outfitted.

yeah pretty sure he said 10k, I remember thinking it was pretty cheap. The outfitting of it would have been on top of that, Bannon was just asking him how much it cost to buy and transport from Poland. They are flat pack anyway so transportation costs wouldnt be all that bad and these log cabin companies in eastern Europe are used to shipping them to other countries.

Here is one that is similar enough to the one shown last night

proekti%20domov%20v%20srub.png
    https://log-homes-sale.com/wooden-log-homes-cabins-projects

Price list shows if you want it in turn key condition with plumbing, electrics installed, floors, doors, windows, then decorated and painted its $450 per sqm, so about 10k in euro for a 25sqm cabin. If you just want the basic structure and DIY the rest yourself then it is about half that price.

There are companies here in Ireland selling cabins like the above. But all they are doing is importing them from companies like the above and then selling them for 20k+. Theres big savings by going direct to the source like the man last night did.

• Advertisement

Thats not bad for 10K its a nice looking cabin compared to some of the things you see.

Compare it to the likes of the room last week and its a bargain. I do wonder though if the cost of the hi-fi system in the place lastweek accounted for the cost being so high.

Its an interesting mix bag of properties, some at a budget some where they are spending quite allot.

Advertisement