Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Room to Improve (v2)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,439 ✭✭✭NSAman

It’s too chunky for the size of the house and the wrong colour

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,393 ✭✭✭CH3OH

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭Xander10

I think it looks awful from the front.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 317 ✭✭Maryanne40

yes it sure is...........but most people are not driving a severely autistic child to school along with 2 others, all in different schools at 6.30 in the morning, so give them a break on that at least.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

Love the hall/atrium, stairs and kitchen.

We’d a tyre swing outside as kids, but multi sensory didn’t exist then!

Best wishes to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭forumdedum

Front looks awful with those so called windows. Everything else pretty good

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,439 ✭✭✭NSAman

If they are happy, that’s all that matters! Well wear!

I'm happy for them. They're a nice couple and they've a tough number with the young lad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,044 ✭✭✭appledrop

Is this one actually for real.

Moaning about having to leave house at 6.30am for a long commute, while she is lucky enough to live in a house rent free while her dream house is been built.

News flash some of us do this commute everyday + then actually have to do a full days work + then come home + look after our kids!

Yes tough her son has autism but plenty of other families in same boat, lucky for her the commute is short term + she has hours to herself everyday when her kids are in school.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

How many times was ‘journey’ mentioned in tonight’s show?!

I LOVE that snug, my favourite place!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭Xander10

Agree, nice inside. Seems a bit of an eye sore for the neighbours.

The windows on outside look awful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

Definitely not the worst he has done and family are happy and it meets their needs and did well in the budget considering how much costs have gone up .. it’s definitely a lot of house in Dublin for 400,000 ..

It probably helped that she took control of some of financial send

It's a TV show. That's all. She's telling her story, how it was along the way when they were renting 2.5 hours away from kids schools. It wasn't easy as it all happened during Covid too. Her son is severely autistic.... not sure if you appreciate what that is like, my sister has 2 autistic kids so I've seen it first hand. Nobody is trying to make you feel bad by making these programmes or having these people on them. Half the country makes those commutes these days, and come home, and minds kids. Do we stop making these programmes or "cancel" the people on them because we don't like what they say? Its a fact of life that a lot of people will have better lives than a lot of us. It shouldn't stop us enjoying programmes like this, if it does just watch something else.

They seemed like a lovely family, I'm delighted that they're happy with the house, personally I probably would have gone with something different, loved the snug upstairs . I felt we got a very quick glance at the end result, hard to make it all out, the builder was lovely and they were were an easy going couple, enjoyable episode.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,393 ✭✭✭CH3OH

Think the builder took the price increase in the materials on the chin for the publicity.

I can't believe that there wouldn't be some clause in the contract to cover increased cost of materials.

It was a nice job well done by the builder

Sweet Maggie I totally understand how hard it is for families who have children with autism that's why her attitude annoyed me.

There are families living in homeless accommodation who have children with autism+ have long commute to their schools often on public transport because they don't want to change their schools as they don't know where they will end up.

Her commute will be short lived.

I get it's a TV Programme + they edit it but she didn't come across well in that segment complaining about the commute in rent free when many families are living in very difficult circumstances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭JustJoe7240

What's the attitude you're referring to?

I also fail to see what relevance the second paragraph has to anything? As you suggesting she shouldn't share her story as there's someone in a worse position?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭chooey

Sorry, bit of a random question. Would any of you know what bathroom shop she was in?

She's just telling her story. I didn't see it as moaning...she simply said she was tired. Totally understandable in the circumstances. She certainly wasn't saying her life was awful compared to anyone else's. Why would that annoy you?

Of course it's their story but I'd have a lot more time for them if they said 'God this is hard aren't we very lucky that we don't have to do this all the time?

I know how lucky I am to own my home in current climate and thought everyone else in same boat would appreciate that.

its a reality TV programme. Maybe the production team should have warned her there would be people offended by her getting a house from friends to stay in while their own was renovated?? If these programmes were to think of every single scenario or person they might offend they would never be made!

I am just glad to see this family getting a break, getting a free house while their own was built, getting their dream home especially for their son. Severe autism is a cross for life for the parents, right into their old age. Their son will probably never live independently. They will always need respite care if they even want a weekend away. They will provide care for him forever. I wish them every success and happiness.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,966 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

It's the same on every renovation show.

95% of the show is all about the drama then the final 5% is a quick flash into each room.

The exterior wouldn't be for me but the interior is lovely.

May they have many happy years there.

it would! It was like this way back when Room to Improve started and I'd love if they went back to that too.....fixing up a room or an extension.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Lucky?

How do you know her circumstances that you can call her lucky?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

I see the cancel and woke culture has now crept in to an easy watching house programme.

Just cancel TV altogether.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,682 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

It was Tilestyle in Ballymount, D24, its a huge showroom of everything tiles and bathroom. The stuff in there is top end and expensive enough (I saw a 12k euro stone bath in there for example) but every October they have a 30-40% off sale across a lot of their ranges.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,276 ✭✭✭Deeec

I felt tonights show was better than the houses shown in the last 2 series of room to improve- the couple got a whole house built from scratch for c€400K - a good price given current construction costs.

I hated the outside of the house and hated the side entrance ( they will regret the side front door down the line). The inside though worked out well and was tastefully done.

Overall I think they probably did get value for money.

Advertisement