Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Room to Improve (v2)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,044 ✭✭✭appledrop

I have to agree, show has gone ridiculous. Like if you watch UK ones it all about house, suppliers go through all steps but for some reason we fluff it up with crap that no one I'd interested in.

Also used to be mainly about improving one room for maybe 40-50k, needs to go back to that format.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,044 ✭✭✭appledrop

Do you remember when QS was a vital part of show? That's no longer case anymore and it's a shame.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,276 ✭✭✭Deeec

I did like the window but overall it's not a good functional kitchen for a family with 4 kids. No island to bake or do crafts on. She'll have it full of crap in no time. The house was ok but doesn't meet the needs of a family of 6 - there didn't seem to be much space at all. Take away the decor and the light and all they got is rooms similar to what they had before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,636 ✭✭✭✭ted1

guess what it’s a reality tv show. It actually happened. There a shed load of money in the economy. There’s lots of people on good salary’s.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,636 ✭✭✭✭ted1

msny people take redundancy on Friday and start a new job on Monday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

Anyone else think that Dermot Bannon looks like Mr Spock?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,390 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

No sign of a change of employer over the duration of the build.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Sandz066

The bit with the house from Dalkey was ridiculous, totally different type of house, structure, surroundings etc.

Clearly just slotted into the episode for the sake of it

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

The show has definitely moved on from your regular renovation type to very wealthy people splashing their cash. The average costs must be around 300k nowadays.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,324 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Fairly sure (s)he said he was made redundant around the time they originally bought the house Columbo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 924 ✭✭✭GAAcailin

When the QS Patricia was part of the show, the QS featured much more, her character and personality were very much part of the format; the replacement QS (Lisa I think her name was) didn't go down as well and since that they seem to have removed the 'personality' and airtime of the QS. There was no way an hour of 'content' in that program, all filler stuff that had nothing to do with the renovation/rebuild of their home. Very poor stuff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,966 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

I think people are confusing redundancy with voluntary redundancy.

The fact he walked away with 100K would signify this was voluntary redundancy. Voluntary redundancy can take up to 6 months to implement. It will usually start with company announcement, outlining the conditions when expected finishing date is etc. Then followed by applications, followed by management/senior management review. Then notification you've been accepted. Plenty of time to get a CV ready, put feelers out to friends in other companies etc. So the majority of people taking VR will have another job lined up and a nice little going away present.

Completely different to forced redundancy where you arrive to work on Monday to locked gates. No warning , nothing lined up and a couple of weeks pay for each year of service if you are lucky.

The house was lovely but for a million spend I'd want something bigger. If the house went to market today I doubt they'd get a million for it.

They had a massive garage Ikea is literally down the road so I really can't understand why the guest toilet was being used for storage, especially considering the two other toilets don't work properly. The garage could easily have been organized alot better.

I liked the kitchen presses but I would have liked to see them opened....even if they showed them at the installation stage.

Again the finished result was a quick glimpse into each room. Less time in the G hotel and more time on finished product would be welcome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,523 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

the under stairs toilet still anoys me. we cannot find out toilet in there then shows a room with crap dumped in it and you can see half the toilet clearly.

a visit from one of the hoarders programmes would have been better. i cannot see how they needed all that stuff in the garage

it is still a 4 bed house for 6 of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,442 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,427 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

She didn't seem to be too worried about money - and wanting to spend on her champagne tastes with a lemonade budget. Seemed to be about what SHE wanted, decorated like the G Hotel, big open window in the kitchen for entertaining - nothing mentioned about anything for the kids at all.

Felt like the program didn't show much of the build at all. No mention of this big kitchen window until it was in, anything about kitchen appliances, layout, bathrooms etc. What happened the garage?

They are very lucky they've been in a position to buy and do up a house in a more affluent part of Dublin where they grew up.

It didnt make sense to have that toilet full of clutter given that they had young kids. If thats how they lived before they will have the house back full of clutter in no time.

lol at lemonade budget

they easily touched the 1m in spending on that house

Agree with you. She got a brilliant window but a crap kitchen that is like an alleyway - very little actual work space and not practical for family life. For someone that wanted to entertain its a very small space. She will have to put people sitting outside at the big window!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,523 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

if you were that tight on space why would you not put the clutter in the toilet upstairs that doent work and use the one that does work.

i would be embarrassed to go on tv and tell the nation that i have a toilet that i couldnt be bothered to fix

• Advertisement

Yeah I'm a little puzzled about the kitchen. Will people [kids] be walking [running[ in and out through the kitchen to get to the living area or outside to the garden? What about all the press doors, do they open out or do the slide in somewhere that they can be left open but not cause an obstruction? Over and back from presses to kitchen "island" and kids running in and out the place.

They started the program by saying their budget was €275k with little to no contingency. And a number of times the budget being referred to and serious face on the QS. And then they are off looking at furnishings in the G Hotel and a house in Dalkey!

A quick look on myhome and you can get a 3 bed 1 bath for 675. A three bed 3 bath for 750 and a 5 bed 5 bath for 750.

There's nothing really special about that house. I probably wouldn't have paid the initial 600k for it to begin with.

For starters young family and all those steps up to front door. There does seem to be a door beside the garage door but no idea where that leads to.

You are very much on top of your neighbours, that's a given in suburbia but the neighbours attic windows look direct into your property. Usually you'd have the width of a road or backgarden between windows.

There's also no further scope for expanding.

So no I definitely don't think it's worth a million.

She reminded me of the "Jacuzzi wan" from a few seasons ago.

Especially when she rocked into the G hotel looking like a Christmas bauble.

Very much "all about me" and we absolutely didn't need to know where the 4th child was conceived.

What you value it at is a bit irrelevant. Property around Howth, Sutton, Portmarnock, Malahide is highly inflated currently and any decent property is routinely going for six figures over already high asking prices.

A four bed family home in Howth with such a high standard finish would quite easily reach a million.

yeah the by now exceptionally tedious dance around budgets on RTI... same story every week. Really eyerollingly boring.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Irish people really do have a horn for all things property.

Look at the self build renovations group on facebook and it's just full of people showing off living in a fantasy world. Vast majority of them aren't even self builds, they're just companies hired to do the work and then a picture posted at the end to show everyone else what they have. You can be sure anyone within a year of doing some kind of work on their house is glued to RTI.

I was born and raised in the area. There's much better value out there in the areas you've mentioned. A million spend in a housing estate with very little outdoor space especially when you've 4 young children. To me isn't good value.

However if you think it's good value that's your perogative.

• Advertisement

Didn't say that did I? I live in the area myself. I don't think housing offers anything remotely near "value" around here... but my feelings on the matter aren't relevant.

Sure we put in an asking price bid on a modest 4 bed recently in Sutton... At last check it's 160k over asking and it wasn't a giveaway to start with. We had long bowed out at that stage.

Advertisement