Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Room to Improve (v2)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,087 ✭✭✭TinyMuffin

Never mind that.

Solid wood kitchen more important.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,668 ✭✭✭Glebee

And now it's finished.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭4Ad

You can hear the echo in the kitchen...I wonder how they are heating it ??

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭headtheball14

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,296 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Doesn't seem to be a radiator in sight in any room and no fireplace either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,392 ✭✭✭CH3OH

She had to cut the clothes budget as well!

Very little in the " walk in wardrobe"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,559 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

No radiators and for the SEAI grants mentioned it would have to be heat pump

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,087 ✭✭✭TinyMuffin

No final figure 😂😂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,668 ✭✭✭Glebee

Final account not agreed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Annabella1

Great house

lovely couple

good luck to them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,296 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

The barter account might have to come in to play 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭headtheball14

there was one closed off and full of logs.

they mentioned 25 grand seai grant, that is likely to have been for heat pump and insulation. no sign of solar anywhere that I saw . bit of a miss

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Rebel001

Obsessed with every euro and they do not know the final figure...!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,392 ✭✭✭CH3OH

Was there any mention of doors and windows?

Or did I miss it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,813 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

I imagine it was UFH?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,532 ✭✭✭touts

She says they have no idea how much they spent but it is "definitely over" and they still have to get wardrobes etc fitted. I'd say they are looking at over €400k spent on a €200k original budget and still tens of thousands more to spend.

Then Dermot comes on and says "The budget was always tight but they did it". He is actually clueless about the budgets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,439 ✭✭✭NSAman

Unaccounted financial House? What was the final figure? All she said was “it was over budget”, so in other words 400k?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,229 ✭✭✭downtheroad

"The property must never have been used, or have been suitable for use, as a residential home."

https://www.revenue.ie/en/property/help-to-buy-incentive/what-type-of-property-qualifies.aspx

They didn't get that €30k so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,813 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

In other words 800k.

Anyone can pull figures from their arse.

It could just be a few k over budget as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭standardg60

There was far more money spent there than what was admitted, bit of cute hoorism keeping everyone in the dark.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,439 ✭✭✭NSAman

Was already looking at €350k on a budget of 200k…. Over budget in that again, with jobs to finish… I’m still thinking €400k..😀 hence no mention of the final budget… especially with people concerned about every penny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,966 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

Didn't she say she wanted underfloor heating?

Thought the house was lovely.

The extension was gorgeous, and I'd always say go as big as you can afford as you're not going to do it again (hopefully), however the house was already a fine sized house I'm not sure they needed the extension that large.

Especially an extension that's basically one room.

I think in a couple of years they'll be thinking a log cabin or something to convert into a games room/gym for the boys.

Anyway best of luck, they seem a nice family.

Tbh at this stage you know what you're getting regarding Dermot and budget so anyone that applies for the show only have themselves to blame!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭4Ad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,864 ✭✭✭Zardoz

So 60k for the render plus 400k for the refurb and extension and thats including every grant under the sun.

So well over half a million cost, costs are out of control in this country now.

Would the guy not have been better off just trying to do most of the renovation work himself, with a few tradespeople.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,523 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

terrible ep for us viewers. no mention of the windows, door, heating system, insulation, air tightness, hvac etc. went from an open timber frame shell with only felt on the roof to a finished house instantly. .

no mention of the grants and what they did to acheive them or if they ever got them

seemed to be very low on sponcers as well. munster joiner did the windows but it was wasnt shown realy. kitchen guy is the only one to get a shout out so must have given a good price reduction

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,966 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 474 ✭✭ax530

They seemed so stressed about cost at start making it a point of the show then at the end she just brushed it off - don't know how much but more than expected. Didn't seem at all bothered!

Presumably they had lots all along. Hard to know.

Windows in old part looked very high end had a chain/pulley system up open say they expensive.

Didn't notice the 'Rational' truck like in previous series so if no longer sponsored won't be really be a big deal about windows.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,523 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

i was watching this at my parents house and it was interesting because they know his parents and grand parents. i know relations of ivans. i will have to see what the truth of the situation is. i know the guys that did that lime rendering at the start i think. i think i saw their vans in the back ground

it is crazy to do all that lime plastering at the start and then tear the windows out and know a big hole in the wall . surely you would spend any saving gained on fixing all the damage you did to it . the builder didnt seem to be showing it much respect when they were digging beside it, it was splattered in dirt and had stuff left against it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,559 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

I expect they didn't want to tell people waht they spent, they don't have to. Budget was tight so it wasn't going major over it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,276 ✭✭✭Deeec

I liked the finished house but there was nothing wow about it either.

They mentioned at the start that they have been living with Ivan's dad for the last 10 years - now if they were able to save 2k per month at least ( which is doable ) every month for the last 10 years that equates to a sizeable sum. It wouldn't surprise me at all if they are mortgage free and fair play to them if they are. The budget worries at the start were all part of the show - producers needed a bit of drama.

Advertisement