Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Room to Improve (v2)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭Field east

This case would make one question DB professionalism and how good an architect he is. Why? The original plans -all the ground floor developments only - were inclusive of an extension at a max of 40 sq yds which is allowed without having to apply for planning permission for it. But I think that you still have to inform the Local Authority in a prescribed way about it. Then during the development a thought struck someone that the attic could be developed into a bedroom plus bathroom. This drove the development now over the max of 40 sq yds and permission has now to be sought. So knowing DB and his apparent ‘eye for spotting things’ it never crossed his mind the development of the attic as a playroom/ bedroom. He was presented with quite a small house at the outset - three bedrooms- and a young family that one would assume had plans of ‘enlarging it’. It was stated at the outset that the roof/ ceiling were so bad that they had to be replaced so even at that point it still did not cross his mind about the development of the attic

that was a major oversight to me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,699 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Bannon needs to confirm what grants were applied for and under what criteria. The house just wasnt derelict or vacant. Its that simple. Seai grants could have brought it up to standard in terms of insulation.

I feel sorry for the couple involved. They've suffered a lot.

At the same time this is a show broadcast on national tv. From what we understand substantial grants have been paid.

There are certainly questions to be answered by RTI.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,987 ✭✭✭Tow

From the Journal:

I find this hilarious, as will most who have had dealing or tried to get information from a Government Department.

Link: https://www.thejournal.ie/room-to-improve-planning-permission-6274778-Jan2024/?utm_source=shortlink

Post edited by Tow on

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,698 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

The roof was 'condemned' was the word used. I presume, until we actually know better, by a professional or competent person who was onsite and not looking at a photo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,898 ✭✭✭thomas 123

I have read the same on building groups online.

If they got the grant as shown in the episode:

This would indicate to met that due to room to improve being used to highlight the grants available that they got a great helping hand with getting approval for the grant from the council possibly under the direction of the department.

Obviously if it was creative editing then I would not think like the above^

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Francis McM

The Irish Independent report ( headline news) that "Dermot Bannon received a private briefing from Housing Minister Darragh O’Brien’s department about a government grant which was repeatedly referenced on RTÉ’s Room to Improve last weekend." It also said "Mr. Bannons producer contacted Mr. O'Briens adviser" etc

I wish he would have contacted the relevant government department to ask about handrails on the main stairs ( there were none) and also at the side of the 3 steps down to the living area. Whatever about the aesthetics of that awful plywood on the stairs, it is very dangerous and I think against building regulations, as that raw edge of the plywood would probably not be the right height or material for a handrail? A handrail is required on all stairs, it is in the regulations.

Regarding the 3 steps which did not seem to have a handrail ( from the angle the camera was anyway ), it is in the UK building regs as I know someone over there with a 3 step drop in his house who had to get it fitted. Right enough, I looked online and 3 steps or more ( inc the landing step) and you have to have a handrail. Not sure about the building regs here. Anyway I would have thought it would be good practice.

“——- and it does’nt comply with any building regulations”. What exactly does that mean when he was talking about a house that was built about the the 1960’s. The houses then were very well built and of very solid construction with the best of materials used. It was built at a time when builders took great pride in their work . Contractor and labour used were normally all local and he would normally be building one or two houses at a time - not like now when they could have several houses on the go if not building a whole estate. I assume that the house complied with all regs at the time it was build so what ‘any building regs’ before the current work started was it not complying with?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,386 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Bannon seems to have a blind spot around stairs. Over the years, we've seen open risers, glass side walls, and not a handrail in sight.

I do not know how he gets away with it. It is clearly on page 9 of the Building regs Ireland 2014 :

"Stairs should have a handrail on at least one side if it is 1000 mm wide or less. It should have a handrail on both sides if it is wider. The top surface of the handrail should be between 900 mm and 1000 mm measured....etc etc etc "

Is it right he should get away with it? It is a farce at this stage. God help the poor young couple who paid about 700k to end up with a house like that in Cashel.

• Advertisement

From my understanding the house would have been registered with the Tipperary County Council for The Local Property Tax as it was lived in , I assume, up to shortly before it went to market. Judging by the photos which accompanied the advertising of the house for sale, the pre work photos shown in the programme, the engineers report the couple got re derelict/ condemned roof/ etc or otherwise and the price paid for it I DOUBT VERY MUCH THAT THE HOUSE WAS EXEMPT FROM PAYING THE LOCAL PROPERTY TAX.

Therefor the conclusion is , based on the above that if the owner was paying the local LPT all along then there is ABSOLUTLY no argument as to whether the house was derive t or not

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,386 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Enforcement of buiilding regs is pretty much non-existent anyway. I suppose somebody could make a formal complaint to the local authority, just for craic of seeing how they respond. It might shine a bit of a light on the issue.

The regs around 'guarding' on a stairs would seem to me to have been complied with. I would need to watch the programme again to be certain, but I have been involved in jobs were similar are fully compliant and nothing about what I seen screamed not compliant.

I do not think anyone could be arsed putting their head above the parapet and going to the trouble of bothering the local authority. However, he is highly paid to do a house renovation programme at prime time on TV, amd would it be too much to expect that he complies with building regs, full planning permission, grant conditions etc if his projects are going to receive 99k of grants too?

He is setting a bad example to others around the country if nothing else, those stairs and the steps down to the living area (from the entrance and toilet) are deadly dangerous.

It makes you wonder of the spec of the rest of the house when BER etc was not mentioned eg as the couple were on a very tight budget, were the windows double or treble glazed? There was no solar pv in either property this year, what about heating system?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,266 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

The supplier list mentions heat pumps.

It makes you wonder of the spec of the rest of the house when BER etc was not mentioned eg as the couple were on a very tight budget, were the windows double or treble glazed? There was no solar pv in either property this year, what about heating system?

When you realise it was an entertainment programme and not a 'how to' you'll be happier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,727 ✭✭✭ec18

he should probably watch grand designs they have more of that info

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,441 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

I was thinking the same. The Cashel microclimate.

Nobody ever said it was a "how to" programme, the point was "he is highly paid to do a house renovation programme at prime time on TV, and would it be too much to expect that he complies with building regs, full planning permission, grant conditions etc if his projects are going to receive 99k of grants too?

Would you live in a house without a handrail on the stairs, or at those steps down to the living area? That is what building regulationss are for. If that relatively elderly relative on the show slipped (no access to the toilet for example without encountering those steps) and had a bad accident would it be a joke or just "entertainment" to you then too?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,987 ✭✭✭Tow

There used to be a lad online called SerialComplainer, he had website and all.

Would you know him Andrew?

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Advertisement

would it be too much to expect that he complies with building regs, full planning permission, grant conditions 

It is your opinion he hasn't done the above. You have been corrected multiple times on your Miss Marplish detective work but you still insist on claiming that any of the above non compliance is proven. It hasn't been.

p.s. I have a sunken living room off my kitchen...I have steps up into my house without a handrail. All fully certified and compliant.

Your 'who will think of the elderly' sensationalism is just cringe to be honest.

Would you live in a house without a handrail on the stairs, or at those steps down to the living area? That is what building regulations are for. If that relatively elderly relative at the end of the shop slipped (no access to the toilet for example, after a drink or two, without encountering those steps) and had a bad accident what would you think?

Especially if you paid 700k for the house? Do you not think that considering Dermot and co. are highly paid to do a house renovation programme at prime time on TV, would it be too much to expect that they comply with building regs, full planning permission, grant conditions etc? Especially if the project "got" (according to the q.s. ) 99k of grants too?

Page 9 of the building regulations 2014 gives the regulations for stairs. There should be a handrail fitted to that main stairs in the house. No ifs and no buts. It is a requirement. Whatever about the aesthetics of that awful looking stairs, there was no handrail : yes we saw the edge of the plywood but that is not a handrail.

As regards to the 3 steps down to the living room, I did say the regs in the UK require a handrail there : as I said, I'm not sure is a handrail necessary for those 3 steps here but it would certainly be good practice. You, living in the house, may be familiar with those 3 steps. An elderly relative visiting may not be familiar with the steps and be looking out the window at the view of the Rock of Cashel or whatever : I have known people to have had serious injuries as a result of steps more easily. Deadly dangerous.

Thanks for that. Certainly in the auctioneers photos of the house the year before renovation / new build, the condition of the house then seemed fine. As good if not better than the average house in Ireland.

I do not think it right they "got" the Derelict house grant, as the Q.S. claimed. RTE has some serious questions to answer.

there was no handrail : yes we saw the edge of the plywood but that is not a handrail.

Maybe if you didn't omit the relevant parts (In bold) of the regs you quoted you'd have some credibility?

1.1.17 Stairs should have a handrail on at least one side if it is 1000 mm wide or less. It should have a handrail on both sides if it is wider. The top surface of the handrail should be between 900 mm and 1000 mm measured vertically above the pitch line, and between 900 mm and 1100 mm above the landing, Handrails should give firm support. A handrail may form the top of the guarding if the height is suitable (refer to Diagram 6). The handrail should be so constructed and fitted as to be capable of being readily gripped by hand and safely used. Handrails may not be necessary beside the two bottom steps of private stairs.

Steps anywhere can be tripped on, handrail or not. A rug could be tripped on.

Maybe they haven't got around to putting up a handrail...it's a pretty churlish/cringe thing to be diverting to because you cannot hang them on the other stuff TBH.

I have as much credibility as you, if not more, thank you very much. The part you highlighted (in bold) does not change the fact a handrail is required, as explained to you in the main part of the regs, the bit I quoted. There was no handrail "capable of being readily gripped by hand and safely used" on the stairs.

Yes, steps anywhere can be tripped on, but three steps down when you are not expecting them - when you are going from the main entrance / toilet to the dining / living area for example - and would no doubt your eye caught admiring the view out the window to the Rock of Cashel or whatever - is an accident waiting to happen. Nothing even on the wall like a handrail to indicate there may be steps there.

Not surprised he has been sued by previous clients on Room to Improve.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,482 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Nothing strange at all about it.

Over the years I have had countless meetings with ministers, ministers of state, senior civil servants ,dept staff at all levels etc.

Also at local authority level, CEO and all down the line.

These kind of meetings happen all the time.

Ben Dunne said the same when he met Haughey, he met ministers, ministers of state, senior civil servants ,dept staff at all levels down the line. Nothing strange at all about it, as you say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 374 ✭✭lmk123

There’s a saying that comes to mind while reading some of these posts “Never argue with an idiot, they’ll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience”

Advertisement