Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Room to Improve (v2)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

To counter act the negative, i thought the clients this week were a breath of fresh air compared to last. They listened to Dermot where it mattered and they argued where it also mattered (interior).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭memorystick

People showed be watching proper tv that broadens their minds instead of buying into property therapy that RTE and other media outlets push in the interest of their sponsors. It’s corrupting people’s priorities and leading to unnecessary stress and conflict.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,301 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

jos28 wrote: »
    Ah folks let's get back on track. This is the Room to Improve thread - no room for other nonsense. Live and let live. Wishing yourself and your partner many years of happiness Gminsk.
    Agreed.

It's gmisk...gminsk is a bad Belarusian copy :)

Thanks very much, really appreciate it.
    ----
    I did get asked at work (newish job) and who is the lucky bride???
    - er Thomas
    ----

I actually thought the sausage dog thing was cool btw but it would be seriously uncomfortable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,951 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

People showed be watching proper tv that broadens their minds instead of buying into property therapy that RTE and other media outlets push in the interest of their sponsors. It’s corrupting people’s priorities and leading to unnecessary stress and conflict.

Why did you watch it so ?

With the ratings this show gets that ain't gonna happen any time soon.

It's ok to like lots of different types of tv you know I do.
    I can watch chernobyl or anything on Walter presents and a marathon come dine with me side by side.

• Advertisement

Mam of 4 wrote: »
    Why did you watch it so ?

I sat down with the missus. It’s my first time to see it in years. Terrible scutter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,507 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Ah here. It's a bit of light entertainment on a Sunday night!

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭awanderer

physioman wrote: »
    Suddenly declared a homophobe because I believe that a child needs a mother and father as parents. Hilarious. What exactly can a man teach his child about how a woman feels?

I would say:very little. On the other hand, I am a woman and I have no idea how " a woman " feels. Women were not all cast from the same mould. I was raised without a father (died when my older sister was 3 and my younger sister 1). I probably missed a male presence in my life but that had more to do with the fact that my mother had no friends and was never close to anyone. That child might be loved by a grand-mother, aunt, close family friend... He is obviously loved anyway and that is more than many children can hope for.

I like the way the house is decorated. It is really their home not the usual bland architech's house. But I agree with most posters: every programm seems unfinished this year. It seems to have been edited by a "that will do,sure" kind of person.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,200 ✭✭✭jos28

gmisk wrote: »
    Agreed.

It's gmisk...gminsk is a bad Belarusian copy :)

Thanks very much, really appreciate it.
    ----
    I did get asked at work (newish job) and who is the lucky bride???
    - er Thomas
    ----

I actually thought the sausage dog thing was cool btw but it would be seriously uncomfortable

Sorry, just copped that and edited it ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,648 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

What is proper tv and why weren't you watching it instead or off broadening your horizons another way?

• Advertisement

jos28 wrote: »
    Sorry, just copped that and edited it ;)
    I am only messing appreciate the good wishes :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,951 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

I sat down with the missus. It’s my first time to see it in years. Terrible scutter

Ah ok , I thought you were physically tied down to a chair , with your eyes taped open and made watch it :D

HeidiHeidi wrote: »

No it’s not entertainment. It’s a program designed to sell the notion that people need to ‘upgrade’ their homes. With so much stuff to watch and see, why would one wast their time on this shît.

The wall paper in the bathroom was put up crooked, otherwise it wasn't bad.

I didn't like the bathroom on bathroom, I know why they had to do it but would have personally sacrificed a bedroom for a nice ensuite in the master.

Did they actually show the skylight Dermot wanted ? I don't remember seeing it.

No it’s not entertainment. It’s a program designed to sell the notion that people need to ‘upgrade’ their homes. With so much stuff to watch and see, why would one wast their time on this shît.
    Well I find it entertaining...... which is why I watch it.

You don't have to, you know!

Breaking Bad didn't sell me the notion to make and sell drugs to make money for my family so I think I'll manage watching Room To Improve without feeling obliged to upgrade my home because of pristine white walls or a sausage dog seat.

That said, most people do need to upgrade the energy efficiency of their homes so I wish it would show more of that.

Calhoun wrote: »
    The wall paper in the bathroom was put up crooked, otherwise it wasn't bad.

I didn't like the bathroom on bathroom, I know why they had to do it but would have personally sacrificed a bedroom for a nice ensuite in the master.

Did they actually show the skylight Dermot wanted ? I don't remember seeing it.
    They didn't show loads of stuff they mentioned along the way... as they often don't.

I agree, with those huge rooms it was nuts not to put in a small en suite (or even a big one) in the master bedroom.

They were equally puzzled/aghast at the idea of two bathrooms side by side when Dermot first mentioned it - yet they wound up with exactly that. How did that happen?

It’s ‘nursing home’ tv. Stupid programs for simpler brains.

Gee, thanks for the compliment.

You enjoyed it, so?

Might I suggest some Complan or milky hot chocolate next time you sit down to watch, might help improve your mood :rolleyes:

Does your missus know you think she has a simpler brain?

• Advertisement

Does your missus know you think she has a simpler brain?

Yes. I married a woman 30 years older than me. She is not as sharp as she was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn II

Yes. I married a woman 30 years older than me. She is not as sharp as she was.

Ah. Visiting her in the nursing room, were we?

Any chance you’d leave this thread to those of us who want to comment on the show.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,125 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Last couple af pages have been a hard read, posters just back from the pub perhaps.
    Hopefully they'll fall asleep on the couch shortly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,586 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Don't understand why they bother with budgets when every episode now has the budget being exceeded by around 30%.

There's never extra money yet there always is.

I wonder if they put a bathroom in the top floor? You'd get fair sick of going up and down the stairs for the bathroom if your room was on the top floor

siblers wrote: »
    Don't understand why they bother with budgets when every episode now has the budget being exceeded by around 30%.

There's never extra money yet there always is.

I wonder if they put a bathroom in the top floor? You'd get fair sick of going up and down the stairs for the bathroom if your room was on the top floor

I think a big part of the budget is people have ideas and goals in mind about what their money will stretch to but it never does.

siblers wrote: »

Only the guests were going to be subjected to that.

Their bedroom, and the kid's bedroom, and the two bathrooms, were all on the first floor/return.

ETA - actually now that I think of it.....it was a three storey house, they'd usually have two storey returns (can't remember if it did from the start of the programme, but I'd be very surprised if it didn't) - why didn't they spread the bathrooms more evenly around the house. Gets more bizarre the more I think about it!

Ah. Visiting her in the nursing room, were we?

Any chance you’d leave this thread to those of us who want to comment on the show.

I want to comment on the show. Why bring my wife into this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,562 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

LizT wrote: »
    It's not my cup of tea but you can definitely tell the two owners live there and it's their style. Seems like it will be a happy home for them and it was nice for someone to stand up to Dermot.

I just don't get this attitude. Dermot is the expert and if the one with the vision in his head for the project. When you engage an architect you have to trust them, otherwise it ends up a mish mash and uncoordinated.

You wouldn't hire a mountain guide then turn around and tell them this is the way you want to get down the mountain...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

Im no architecht but surely when you work on and old house the roof would be the first item on my list. What they discovered beggars belief that this was not investegated more thorougly

Do they not have an engineer survey the house at an early stage? Would spot problems earlier - e.g, the roof in the current episode, walls to be supported if excavating for underfloor heating,
    Dermot does not seem to be interested in such detail

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

gmisk wrote: »
    I think you are underestimating kids they are pretty accepting of diversity.
    Also the gay marriage referendum changed feck all about adoption
    https://www.thejournal.ie/same-sex-marriage-referendum-geoffrey-shannon-2097220-May2015/

But hey it passed in spite of some people, I can now marry my partner of 7 years in 2 weeks time.

Good luck to both of ye

Advertisement