Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland v Samoa

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭tototoe

Blueshoe wrote: »
    His defence is suspect.

But...but... His dancing feet... ;-)

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

reg114 wrote: »
    Larmour simply is not international standard

Not saying that at all, but today he's channeling Rob Kearney at times.
    How dare he channel the best full-back and one of the most decorated players we’ve ever had.

Some people love a bitch and a moan. It’s like what he did for Sexton’s first try has been completely forgotten about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭Naggdefy

Faugheen wrote: »
    And you used one instance to prove yours.

Why are you allowed to use one instance to make a point but you have a go at me for doing it?

He’s been our best back-row by an absolute stretch all year. You don’t get to that by being too light.

And he was well able for Billy Vunipola in the warm-up game when nobody else was.

I didn't use one instance. I feel he's a bit light. Compare his weight with most 7s in the tournament. I also said he has many attributes, quick around the pitch, workrate, handling. He's not a strong gain line ball carrier. As strong as any back row in tournament, no way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,375 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

yerrahbah wrote: »
    Henshaw looks understandably rusty

Well he may cop on to life cos he can't be taken off now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

eigrod wrote: »
    No need to force anything now. Just play the game in their half - keep them pinned in there.
    Play the classic ROG game, pin them into the corners and compete at the lineout.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Best is useless at getting in the refs ear.

POC needs to be drafted in as a consultant .

Blueshoe wrote: »
    Clegg wrote: »
    He's been one of our best players this world cup. If he's not test standard then we're in massive trouble.

His defence is suspect.
    Myth and lazy as **** argument. He’s been excellent defensively.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

GreeBo wrote: »
    Big problem now will be tiredness for nz game ( assuming we hang on here)

Won't be able to empty the bench and 50 min uess with a man down against big Samoans is going to be very draining.

Expect to get wallopped next week.

Maybe we should fly over Dr Fuentes...might able to "help" with our recovery

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭votecounts

Keep the head, make a few changes to avoid injuries now that we have the BP.
    C'mon Ireland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

I didn't notice any poor passing, but he's been excellent with ball in hand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,456 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

state of the pitch after the scrum

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,253 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

They are all going to be bollixed for next week.

Play the classic ROG game, pin them into the corners and compete at the lineout.
    Time for Munster’s own Joey!

I missed the Samoan yellow making a brew. Very hard, Lam was almost a second low as he could go without entering chop territory.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Ishmael

Good half IMO.

Yellow card / red card calls were correct. No question there.

Sexton dominating the game which is good to see.

Some dodgy looking passes being thrown but solid enough looking performance. Ireland doing well to avoid getting smashed to bits by Samoan defense so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,066 ✭✭✭Christy42

We need to keep him on, we crumble when we take him off

And? We need to concede 29 points without reply to be knocked out at this point by my calculations and no amount of scoring will get us top of the group.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,859 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

I detest all the talk on the tv, radio and papers about yellow and reds.
    It’s an easy out from doing actual rugby analysis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,225 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

This is easily our best performance since the Scotland game. Samoa aren't up to much, but we've minced them up front. The red card takes the shine off that first half a bit, but it's been a decent performance from us.

We seem a bit more willing to look for soft shoulders and mismatches out wide. If we can play that way if the QF, I'd we qualify, Ringrose would thrive in those situations.

Naggdefy wrote: »
    And you used one instance to prove yours.

Why are you allowed to use one instance to make a point but you have a go at me for doing it?

He’s been our best back-row by an absolute stretch all year. You don’t get to that by being too light.

And he was well able for Billy Vunipola in the warm-up game when nobody else was.

I didn't use one instance. I feel he's a bit light. Compare his weight with most 7s in the tournament. I also said he has many attributes, quick around the pitch, workrate, handling. He's not a strong gain line ball carrier. As strong as any back row in tournament, no way.

You said that after he was dumped and used his size to back up your argument.

I used a big example of his strength to show he’s nowhere near too light. He’s as strong as any other back row and I stand by that.

And he is a strong gainline carrier. Again, another myth that he’s not a strong carrier. If you compare carriers to Vunipola then you’re not going to find many, if any. Put you can find many who can hit him head on and stop him and VDF does that, because he’s strong as an ox regardless of his size.

The breaking ball caught Aki, far too passive, he should have claimed that. After he missed he was chasing himself.

• Advertisement

12 Farrell 13 Ringrose for QF
    Henshaw not up too speed yet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,870 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

razorblunt wrote: »
    Best is useless at getting in the refs ear.

POC needs to be drafted in as a consultant .

One of Best's greatest attributes is keeping on the right side of the ref. Been proven in many games for Ulster and Ireland.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

Agreed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

What game are you watching. Larmour has been excellent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭Naggdefy

You said that after he was dumped and used his size to back up your argument.

I used a big example of his strength to show he’s nowhere near too light. He’s as strong as any other back row and I stand by that.

And he is a strong gainline carrier. Again, another myth that he’s not a strong carrier. If you compare carriers to Vunipola then you’re not going to find many, if any. Put you can find many who can hit him head on and stop him and VDF does that, because he’s strong as an ox regardless of his size.

We may agree to disagree. He can't carry like Leavy, O'Brien, David Wallace a decade ago. 11kg lighter than Pocock, same height. He hasn't that power. Look at him in the warm up. Light upper body and legs.

As I said, many other attributes but no use saying he's something he's not. Having a very good game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,719 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Henshaw has been poor today - but I'd still play him everyday ahead of Farrel , who has not been great either last time

• Advertisement

Clegg wrote: »
    This is easily our best performance since the Scotland game. Samoa aren't up to much, but we've minced them up front. The red card takes the shine off that first half a bit, but it's been a decent performance from us.

We seem a bit more willing to look for soft shoulders and mismatches out wide. If we can play that way if the QF, I'd we qualify, Ringrose would thrive in those situations.

“Mitigation”
    Samoa look like they have been on the tear for the week

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭jammiedodgers

What are RTE analysis saying about red card?

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Navanboyo

Dancing feet Laramour bringing something different to our game but cold hands Henshaw awful

I detest all the talk on the tv, radio and papers about yellow and reds.
    It’s an easy out from doing actual rugby analysis.

It fills air time and the “game is gone” talking heads are being kept in the lifestyle they’ve become accustomed too.

Their needs to be more chat on Lams tackle . Incredibly harsh. Aki is less debatable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

Can't believe we kept Henshaw on for the last month if that's where he's at, caused pretty much all of our problems in that half. Aki hadn't been brilliant this world cup but it's an absolute disaster if we have to start Henshaw on the quarters in this form. At least Chris Farrell is out there.

The red was the correct decision as the laws are set out at present, that doesn't mean the laws themselves are correct. They need be realistic about how long players have to react to fluid situations and split second moments, it's easy for us looking at slow motion replays but rugby isn't played in slow motion.

Devestated for him on a personal level that that's probably his world cup over, that incident shouldn't be a three game ban but that's what he'll get.
    Clareman wrote: »
    The last 3 Irish players sent off in test matches were all born outside of Ireland, I think

Xenophobic much?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,719 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

saying it was a red, which it was

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Genuine question - how was Aki supposed.to tackle there? Get lower down than the ball carrier?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 573 ✭✭✭Local_Chap

Murof wrote: »
    That blonde in the Irish jersey though.

Anyone manage to get a picture?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

thebaz wrote: »
    Henshaw has been poor today - but I'd still play him everyday ahead of Farrel , who has not been great either last time

Farrell was superb against Scotland. Maybe Ireland's best player in that game and he came on as a sub for Aki.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

"If we get the bonus point" says Tommy Bowe just before the second half kick off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,456 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Genuine question - how was Aki supposed.to tackle there? Get lower down than the ball carrier?
    tackle below the shoulders the guy fell after the tackle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,907 ✭✭✭daheff

No complaints with the red but curious what the call would have been if Aki had pulled out of the tackle by standing up and the Samoan player fell into him?

Part of the problem was the forward momentum of Aki. If he’d just stood up he could have been accused of not trying to tackle correctly(no arm movements) and possibly still dangerous play..

But a lot would depend on how the collision happened

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

The amount of unforced errors from Ireland again is worrying. For a team built on accuracy, it has deserted us completely this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,375 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Agreed across the board.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,857 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

All of them saying 100% right decision

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

He had his hips bent but his head and arms were way above the hips and going up when he made contact. Always going to be a red if he made contact with the head

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭shootermacg

Another time larmour didn't pass.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 62 ✭✭Murof

Why not go for the posts there? BP secured so make sure of the win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭shootermacg

Play in their 22 to take the wind out of their sails.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,872 ✭✭✭budhabob

Run down the clock?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

His decision making is poor.

Sort that out and he can be world class

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Another try here????

Who on Earth was he supposed to pass to? Sometime you just take the ball into contact

Your crusade against Larmour is baffling today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,322 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Another try here????
    Nope

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,543 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Furlong was short there.

Advertisement