Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Notice period required.

Options
  • 12-10-2019 11:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭

Hello.
    My daughter started a job on September 3rd (6 weeks ago). She has had better offer now, and wants to quit immediately. I've been researching online, and I believe she can walk away because she has worked there for under 13 weeks.
    I'm just writing to ask, if I'm missing anything, and anyone out there knows of a legal obligation she might have to her current employers.
    Thank you.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

It would be better if she gave a weeks notice, there is a possibility that the new position would seek a reference. Walking off the job is not good reference material. There are no legal consequences for her walking off the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Wexford96

Good point. A week would give them a chance to find a replacement.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭bellylint

It should be covered by any contract she signed, if she hasnt signed one then past that whatever the general employment acts state on the matter. Whilst I would think very carefully about breaking any notice period, purely out of a 'don't court danger or risky behaviour' perspective.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Bicyclette

Tell her to give a week's notice immediately. She will also have some level of holiday entitlement and that can be included in the week.

Legal obligations and Moral obligations don't always equate. It is always a good idea to leave on good terms with your employer. Ireland is a small country. People talk. Better have people speak well of you.

Thank you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭skallywag

If she does not have a written contract then I would offer one weeks notice, I think that this is a fair balance between giving her the chance to move on to something new while also being respectful to the current employer.

That said, if she was to find yet another new opportunity in, say, another 6 weeks, then I would be reluctant to move again so quickly, when thinking about it from a career building perspective.

She gave one week's notice today, and they're happy with that.

Advertisement