Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Georgia vs Ireland, Euro 2020 qualifier, RTE2 & Sky Sports Football, 2pm

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭RicketyCricket

Didn't deserve to win that anyway. Awful stuff to watch. I'm no fan of Glenn Whelan but he was not the worst out there today. McClean for all his desire and running is a poor footballer. Hourihane never looked interested but Hendrick was an absolute abomination today. No idea how he lasted the whole game. Poor from Mick, should have changed it up a lot sooner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

So we likely need 4 points from the next 2 games, not looking too promising.....not sure why we didn't take a more attacking approach here, last chance saloon imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

More disappointing than the result was the ambition. We played for a draw from what I can see.

At the very least we should have got wide more and tried to earn some FKs and corners and try max out the set pieces.

Mick was way to negative it’s not a great place to go but we should have had some sort of game plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Very frustrating. Connolly should've been on at the hour mark. Big mistake from Mick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,322 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Browne has had enough chances ahead of Jack Byrne at this point. Fcucking anonymous once again.
    I agree but he wasn't given long

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

Really dont see how we can justify Robinson, McClean, Whelan being in the team. I just cant see what they bring to the table at the moment for us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,742 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Akrasia wrote: »
    How dies this affect qualification?

Dies is correct

• Registered Users Posts: 5,322 ✭✭✭RoryMac

Awful performance from an awful squad of players. We lack any quality and the players seem to be lacking confidence as soon as they put on the jersey.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭edgecutter

Didn't deserve to win that anyway. Awful stuff to watch. I'm no fan of Glenn Whelan but he was not the worst out there today. McClean for all his desire and running is a poor footballer. Hourihane never looked interested but Hendrick was an absolute abomination today. No idea how he lasted the whole game. Poor from Mick, should have changed it up a lot sooner.

What drove me insane was when the ball lands to him he just hoofed it in the air, no desire to try and control and find a man, always the easy way out for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭votecounts

Defintely 2 points dropped, Whelan a masterclass as usual. So dissappionted at that result.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Zico !

Desperate sh1t. Golden opportunity to take control of our own destinity.
    Now we're hoping to draw our way to the Euros.

Connolly, Duffy, Egan, Doherty, Coleman and Randolph will hopefully be there under Kenny.

The rest of them are robbing living.

id add coleman to the list of sh1te

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭PinotNero

A terrible result.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Duff

Zico ! wrote: »

He has a good game more often than not, though. The rest are all scutter.

Nope sorry he had a decent solid game IMO.
    He is clearly not the player he was but gives his all for Ireland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,833 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Denmark vs Switzerland.... really ideal if that was a draw too now..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,938 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Strumms wrote: »

It's over.

Desperate sh1t. Golden opportunity to take control of our own destinity.
    Now we're hoping to draw our way to the Euros.

Connolly, Duffy, Egan, Doherty, Coleman and Randolph will hopefully be there under Kenny.

The rest of them are robbing living.
    Coleman is finished. The fact Doherty was shifted to the left to accommodate him is lunacy.

Nice lad, but he's finished.

gmisk wrote: »

offered little going forward today and was caught ball watching more than once i disagree

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭Billcarson

Not too surprised 0-0 was the result but was surprised how badly we were. Absolutely terrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,813 ✭✭✭One More Toy

That was horrible to watch

• Advertisement

Duff wrote: »
    He has a good game more often than not, though. The rest are all scutter.

Not since his injury he doesn't

Even Duff was very critical there.
    What is Mick going to say?
    It's not so much the draw, it was the performance....Switzerland and Denmark will really fancy their chances in the two last matches

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

What channel is that game on ?

It's over.
    What's over?

thank god micks on his way out

I thought Coleman was a disaster too. Giving your all and being solid isn’t good enough, I can pull on a shirt and ‘give my all’ too but in the context of why he’s there.. nahhh poor.

offered little going forward today and was caught ball watching more than once i disagree
    It was hoofball forward I would guess as per instructions so hard to contribute to attacks.
    He had a couple of bad moments, but the defence wasn't the problem for me today.

RoryMac wrote: »
    Not since his injury he doesn't

Obviously he isn't the player he was but he still puts in a solid shift.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 479 ✭✭rgace

Inquitus wrote: »
    So we likely need 4 points from the next 2 games, not looking too promising.....not sure why we didn't take a more attacking approach here, last chance saloon imo.

We will know more after Denmark play the Swiss.
    2 points could be enough yet.

• Advertisement

TheCitizen wrote: »
    What's over?

our qualification hopes euro2020 we wont qualify now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,694 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Atrocious from start to finish.

Randolph didn't have much to do, Egan and Duffy were solid, Connolly showed some life about him.

The rest were somewhere between plain poor and a load of rubbish. McLean and Hendrick in particular were sickeningly bad.

Horrible tactics and in-game decisions by McCarthy too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭Tippex

I can't remember the last time I watched an international game and to be honest after watching the second half (was out for the first) by christ I won't be watching again in a long time it was putrid.

I thought Coleman was a disaster too. Giving your all and being solid isn’t good enough, I can pull on a shirt and ‘give my all’ too but in the context of why he’s there.. nahhh poor.
    He isn't the player he was definitely but he is not a glaring problem for me (he is on way out let's be honest).
    Who else is behind him?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,989 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

fullstop wrote: »
    People were creaming themselves over a decent performance against Gibraltar saying mick had us playing great stuff. It’s been the exact same hoof ball as under MON.

And I can see it reverting back to this style of football not long after Mick leaves because I think Kenny will only get the one qualification campaign before being replaced.

Yep. I think Mick takes the blame for this one. We needed changes earlier.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

It's all about the approach and mindset.
    The management looked at this as a must not lose game. Instead of pressing the life out of Georgia for an hour and then get Connolly and Byrne on to pick them apart.

We had Premier league players out there up against players sprinkled over European minor league's.

Point gained my hole!

statesaver wrote: »
    What channel is that game on ?

Not sure, can’t seem to find it...

Ireland players being interviewed on another channel “yeah it’s a GOOD point”. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭tastyt

Connolly should have been on earlier, and i think Byrne should have come on too.

Hendrik, whelan, hourihane, McLean, Collins, Robinson all terrible. Full backs offered little going forward too.

But its been like this for the last 10 yrs lads, wev robbed wins against the likes of Georgia plenty of times. We have great spirit and work rate which a lot of international teams don't have and it often gets us through.

And talking of expectations and creaming themselves, theres a lot of people on here who think when Kenny takes over hel bring through these kids and wel be unreal.

Yes, Kenny tries to play it right and the 21's are doing well but a lot of people will be on here abusing Kenny in 2 yrs too because its not that simple

our qualification hopes euro2020 we wont qualify now

Eh no it's not over. A missed opportunity but no, it's not over.

He isn't the player he was definitely but he is not a glaring problem for me (he is on way out let's be honest).
    Who else is behind him?

He is 31 so he has about 2 years before you’d expect a noticeable decline...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,508 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Im assuming we lose on Tuesday so if Swiss beat Denmark then a draw is enough for us V Denmark is it not?

A 0-0 yeah but a score draw and it gets messy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

Definitely feels like 2 points lost and giving away our advantage in the group. But based on the performance both teams deserved the draw.

Duff wrote: »
    Obviously he isn't the player he was but he still puts in a solid shift.

TBH I don't see it, he's been poor in every game of this qualifying

We'd disgrace the Euros with that brand of football anyway, lads. Probably better off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,989 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Yep. I think Mick takes the blame for this one. We needed changes earlier.

100% takes the blame. Playing for a draw and his subs showed that.

It was a great opportunity.
    What do you think our chances are in the two remaining games?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,508 ✭✭✭✭noodler

It's all about the approach and mindset.
    The management looked at this as a must not lose game. Instead of pressing the life out of Georgia for an hour and then get Connolly and Byrne on to pick them apart.

We had Premier league players out there up against players sprinkled over European minor league's.

Point gained my hole!

Georgian squad play in decent leagues

we wont get any more points in this group so imo put a fork in it

noodler wrote: »
    Georgian squad play in decent leagues
    Russia, Cyprus, Switzerland, USA, Belgium mostly...they are IMO worse than championship level.

You can do a lot with fairly average players just look at northern Ireland, Iceland etc

we wont get any more points in this group so imo put a fork in it

Agreed. We shiit the bed tonight.

• Advertisement
Advertisement