Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Handball club Castlebar

Options
  • 12-10-2019 1:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭

I was recently made aware of a handball venue in Castelbar town, it's just off Thomas street opposite the harp bar. I've been up there a number of times but it's always shut. Would anyone know what the story with it is?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,197 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

AllForIt wrote: »
    I was recently made aware of a handball venue in Castelbar town, it's just off Thomas street opposite the harp bar. I've been up there a number of times but it's always shut. Would anyone know what the story with it is?

I don't think I've ever seen that open tbh. If you Google Castlebar Handball there's a name, number and email there. That contact was a teacher in St Geralds when I was there and he ran a few teams. There's an alley in the De La Salle sports hall beside St Geralds and I think there's one in An Sportlann too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Seems like it's prolly permanently closed so. I seen on google something about handball up at An Sportlann as you say so maybe it's relocated up there. I was just looking for a wall for a purpose other than handball, to practice my tennis forehand technique actually. I don't know anything about handball!

AllForIt wrote: »
    Seems like it's prolly permanently closed so. I seen on google something about handball up at An Sportlann as you say so maybe it's relocated up there. I was just looking for a wall for a purpose other than handball, to practice my tennis forehand technique actually. I don't know anything about handball!

Don't know much about tennis but I think the tennis club have those machines that spit out balls if that's off any use.

PARlance wrote: »
    Don't know much about tennis but I think the tennis club have those machines that spit out balls if that's off any use.

Thanks, yes they do. You have to rent the court and rent the machine to use it. They don't have a practice wall either which is actually recommended practice. The guy who told me about the handball court said he used to use the handball alley cheaply himself I think for practicing hurly swings or something like that and they they were generally open to the venue being used for other activities.

edit:
    ...De La Salle sports hall beside St Geralds...

Completely missed this first time I read it, i'll check it out tks.

There's a hurling wall in the new astro turf pitch at An Sportlann as well if you want to make enquiries.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

There are a few walls around the hall at breaffy woods hotel for practicing hurling ndoors. Should suit you too

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

There is, or was an enclosed handball alley at Aughagower

• Registered Users Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

nuac wrote:
    There is, or was an enclosed handball alley at Aughagower

New ball alley going up in Ballyheane. First one I've heard of in a longbtime

• Registered Users Posts: 20 www.bored.ie

Talk to John in Morans Bar directly opposite it on Rush Street. As far as i know he has a key

Talk to John in Morans Bar directly opposite it on Rush Street. As far as i know he has a key

Do you know it did occur to me to do that but I put it out of my head. I'll do just that tomorrow, ta.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,879 ✭✭✭signostic

The alley behind Paddy Morans pub in Rush St is a indoor 60ft x 30ft handball alley. Not sure of the opening times if any. In De La Sale, there is a 40x20 handball/racquetball court and in an Sportlann there is 2 40x20 handball/racquetball courts (not suitable for hurling practise as there is glass back walls), 40x 20 handball/racquetball courts in Ballinrobe(2), Aughagower(1), Carnacon(1), Newport(1), Mulranny(1). Another indoor 60x30 court in Belcarra.
    New 40x20 handball/racquetball court proposed for Ballyheane, not sure if construction has begun.
    Hurling wall at the new astro pitch at An Sportlann.

Advertisement