Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tiffany's Nightclub Dublin 1970's

Options
  • 12-10-2019 2:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hello,

My parents met in Tiffany's nightclub in Dublin in the 1970's.

I was wondering would anybody know the address of where this was or have information on where I might find photographs of the building itself from around 1975?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭BDI

Was it where the credit union is in airfield? Tesco
    Clare hall direction of Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 FredFred

BDI wrote: »

I thought it may have been more the city centre area, possibly around Henry St? Will have a look in to that area though and see, thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭subpar

Was located at the rear of Roches Stores , now Debenhams , exact location Chapel Lane.

But in recent decades, the largest-scale demolition of streets came when the Ilac Centre was being built. The land in the area had been acquired by the old Dublin Corporation over many years and its plans for redeveloping the site culminated in the construction of the Ilac centre, which opened in 1981.

Today, only part of Chapel Lane and a little of Sampson’s Lane remain, in severely truncated form, as a reminder of what once stood there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭Speedsie
    ¡arriba, arriba! ¡andale, andale!

subpar wrote: »
    Was located at the rear of Roches Stores , now Debenhams , exact location Chapel Lane.

But in recent decades, the largest-scale demolition of streets came when the Ilac Centre was being built. The land in the area had been acquired by the old Dublin Corporation over many years and its plans for redeveloping the site culminated in the construction of the Ilac centre, which opened in 1981.

Today, only part of Chapel Lane and a little of Sampson’s Lane remain, in severely truncated form, as a reminder of what once stood there.

Always worth taking a look at the Dublin city photographic archive for old photos of Dublin

Here's Chapel Lane in 1977
    http://digital.libraries.dublincity.ie/vital/access/manager/Repository/vital:26123?query=Chapel+lane&queryType=vitalDismax

• Registered Users Posts: 3 FredFred

That's all really helpful thanks a million, great to have the photograph also! Thanks everyone!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,753 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Always regarded it to be located just off the Malahide Rd near Darndale.

Charlie19 wrote: »
    Always regarded it to be located just off the Malahide Rd near Darndale.

Maybe there was two of them. I remember my uncle going to It and it was between the traveller site and the airfield credit union at darndale there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭tdf7187

From a google search seems like there were indeed two Tiffany's, one in Darndale one in Henry Street. Could even have been more, Tiffany's was kind of a standard name for a nightclub back then I suspect. Like Bentley's, Rio's, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

tdf7187 wrote: »
    From a google search seems like there were indeed two Tiffany's, one in Darndale one in Henry Street. Could even have been more, Tiffany's was kind of a standard name for a nightclub back then I suspect. Like Bentley's, Rio's, etc.

I dont think the one off Malahide rd was called Tiffanys but I am open to correction.
    Ther was a Tiffanys just off Mary St near where the Ilac is now. The entrance was off Parnell St. There was also the Celebration or Celebrity?in Upp Abbey St and a drinking club linked to Shelbourne Football Club in Mary St called La Dolce Vita.
    Not forgetting Slack Alice in O Connell St supposedly owned by George Best.
    Another night club I think named The Fiesta under the bridge in Talbot st didnt last too long though

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭mick121

Edgware wrote: »
    I dont think the one off Malahide rd was called Tiffanys but I am open to correction.

Think that may have been called Merlin's

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,307 ✭✭✭MonkieSocks

Edgware wrote: »
    There was also the Celebration or Celebrity?in Upp Abbey St

Yeah, it was called "The Celebrity Club" upper Abbey Street.

Nearly directly across the entrance to Jervis st hospital.

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Cocoon

BDI wrote: »

There was a Tiffanys on the malahide road opposite Darndale up the lane where the halting site is now, I think it was in the Park hotel known as Jurassic park. Closed in the 90's and was a bit of a mad kip.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭Victor

subpar wrote: »

About two-thirds of Chapel Lane and half of Sampson’s Lane remain, although much altered.

Maps of the street layout from about 1900 and 1930 from http://map.geohive.ie/

There is a place on the map marked widows asylum.

Advertisement