Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XI: Team of nervoUS MOD warning Post 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

O'Donoghue deserves a call up imo, he's looked excellent for Munster. But shocked Ruddock is not in the squad. Most people would have had him starting at 6.

Wonder is Stander seen as a 6 in this squad, with Deegan and Doris as No. 8's

Happy to see JOD in there but the potential for the usual back row starting is depressingly strong.

Based on what I see there, I'd like to see Doris, VDF, Stander with JOD on the bench.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,820 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

No McCloskey?

I'm out.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Buer wrote: »
    Happy to see JOD in there but the potential for the usual back row starting is depressingly strong.

Based on what I see there, I'd like to see Doris, VDF, Stander with JOD on the bench.

That starting backrow but with Deegan in the bench He can cover 6 to a high standard and has won a few motm awards at 7 albeit against weakish sides in the Pro 14 men

Not sure what Jack McGrath has done to warrant a recall either. Still looks a shadow of the player he was a few years ago.

Bit put out by this selection. Ignoring good players for the tried and tested.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,218 ✭✭✭A-Train

Ruddock not in but POM still in is baffling. Night and day between their performances all season. It must be the “unseen” work once again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Kevski

I’m actually schocked that Ruddock has been left out. He’s been performing at a much higher level than both O’Mahoney and Stander for quite a while now. Baffling.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Toner recalled as well. No surprises, given his form.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭shootermacg

A-Train wrote: »
    Ruddock not in but POM still in is baffling. Night and day between their performances all season. It must be the “unseen” work once again.

Guess Farrell doesn't rate him either..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭kilns

POM in that squad is nothing short of a disgrace.

complete bullsh1t that he is a leader etc etc. He is not good enough end of and Ruddock as player offers much much more

• Registered Users Posts: 24,080 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Ruddock is baffling alright, he should've been in with Doris as a development option. Deegan to start IMO.

McCloskey wouldn't bother me, with a full deck of Centres I didn't see him coming in.

Good to see Toner restored, unencumbered by World Cup trauma. Obvs Kleyn is injured, but he would've been in ahead only of Dillane not Toner.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭yerrahbah

kilns wrote: »

complete bullsh1t that he is a leader etc etc. He is not good enough end of and Ruddock as player offers much much more

Why do you think Farrell has selected him over Ruddock?

Thought we would have seen Marty Moore back in. Hopefully the knock he picked up at the weekend isn't serious. Interesting that two full front rows from Leinster and Ulster have been selected.

Not a fan of Kleyn as a player and Toner is in great form so that's something.

Is Niall Scannell injured? Neither him nor Cronin on selection only seems mental

• Registered Users Posts: 12,906 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

yerrahbah wrote: »

Hopefully to cover 7, and not because he sees him as our starting 6

• Registered Users Posts: 3,649 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Ruddock is baffling alright, he should've been in with Doris as a development option. Deegan to start IMO.

McCloskey wouldn't bother me, with a full deck of Centres I didn't see him coming in.

Good to see Toner restored, unencumbered by World Cup trauma. Obvs Kleyn is injured, but he would've been in ahead only of Dillane not Toner.

You're only a development option if Farrell thinks you need developing. It's not a subs list like

You tell me as I and i guess everyone who watches rugby is at a loss to explain that

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Is Niall Scannell injured? Neither him nor Cronin on selection only seems mental
    I think they're understandable omissions. Cronin has been around the squad for years and never nailed down a starting place. Not getting any younger either. Scannell isn't a particularly note worthy player either. Solid without being standout. Better off giving younger guys like Kelleher an shot.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Is it really? A disgrace? Or is that just hyperbole?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭bennyl10

We see this with the backrow for every major tournament

we saw the BS that Conan should be over CJ at the WC, and thankfully Cj showed exactly why he was there.

We see this now about Ruddock, PoM is a test level 7, a decent replacement 6, and is in the leadership group of the squad.

We've now had 2 coaches make this decision based on what they're seeing in camp, they aren't both blind

You're only a development option if Farrell thinks you need developing. It's not a subs list like

A. There's no mention of this being a squad for Rounds 1 and 2 or whatever

B. If we played England in the morning with a full deck, would anyone seriously start Doris?

He's good, but he's still developing, any casual watcher of the game sees that. Ruddock is in his prime and showing it and his leadership skills are beyond reproach. Its a daft decision.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,631 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

bennyl10 wrote: »

we saw the BS that Conan should be over CJ at the WC, and thankfully Cj showed exactly why he was there.

We see this now about Ruddock, PoM is a test level 7, a decent replacement 6, and is in the leadership group of the squad.

We've now had 2 coaches make this decision based on what they're seeing in camp, they aren't both blind

Yep, and what a successful world cup that was.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭yerrahbah

You tell me as I and i guess everyone who watches rugby is at a loss to explain that

I'm sure the Irish coaching teams over the last 4 years could probably explain it

aloooof wrote: »
    Is it really? A disgrace? Or is that just hyperbole?

I would say yes it is, an inferior player with a higher reputation over a player who brings more to the team and is playing much better

I'm sure the Irish coaching teams over the last 4 years could probably explain it

Id like to hear it, this is not 4 years ago this is 2020.

Can you offer a reason?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,685 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Ah lads, POM is not an openside. Let alone a "test level 7". He's a blindside, no question about it, who can cover 7.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,577 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

It's nuts that Ruddock has been overlooked! What is Farrell watching? Pom is not even Munsters best 6! He's been awful! No workrate, no forward momentum, no tackling pretty much a passenger. I hope JOD gets the 6 shirt, at least he's been very very good. Baffling that Scannell is omitted. I think he's a test level operator. I reckon Herring will be the starter.
    McCloskey? Wtf? Aki and Henshaw have been 2and to him this season.. insane!!!
    On a good note, lots of players getting the call. Delighted for them. Especially Heffrnan, which I think is underrated.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

How is that BS when Conan was selected, played and only injury prevented him continuing with the squad?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭scott1974

No he's not!!

Who I'd have for Scotland

Cian Healy
    Ronan Kelleher
    Tadhg Furlong

Iain Henderson
    James Ryan

CJ Stander
    Josh van der Flier
    Caelan Doris

John Cooney
    Jonathan Sexton

Bundee Aki
    Garry Ringrose

Andrew Conway
    Jacob Stockdale
    Jordan Larmour

Subs
    Dave Kilcoyne
    Rob Herring
    Andrew Porter
    Ultan Dillane
    Max Deegan
    Conor Murray
    Ross Byrne
    Will Addison

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,832 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Stuart McCloskey can feel hard done by. Few guys in there dining out on past reputation.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement