Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XI: Team of nervoUS MOD warning Post 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38,260 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Tour to Australia in summer of 2020 followed by November internationals vs South Africa, a tier 2 nation and the All Blacks

Or could we not face the All Blacks in Dublin til 2021 ???

• Registered Users Posts: 4,218 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Trevor Brennan's book was the best rugby bio I've read. I thought Paul O'Connell's was possibly the worst, but Peter Stringer and BOD weren't far behind.

Not really the same, but I would always recommend 'Engage', the bio of Matt Hampson. Absolutely brilliant.

The best sports autobiography books are generally ones by people with lower profiles. The likes of BOD and POC can just throw out a book saying ‘we went here, played well, won’ etc because people are going to buy it anyway.

Seeing as we are throwing out recommendations, I’ll add ‘Obsessed’ Richard Dunwoody and ‘Fighter’ Andy lee. Limited enough interest in both sports but both excellent reads.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,765 ✭✭✭P.Walnuts

Trevor Brennan's book was the best rugby bio I've read. I thought Paul O'Connell's was possibly the worst, but Peter Stringer and BOD weren't far behind.

Not really the same, but I would always recommend 'Engage', the bio of Matt Hampson. Absolutely brilliant.

I HATE bio's but Brennans was the exception to that rule, genuinely moving in places.

Gave up on BODs after about a third of the way through, EOS was even worse IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭blackwhite

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Tour to Australia in summer of 2020 followed by November internationals vs South Africa, a tier 2 nation and the All Blacks

Or could we not face the All Blacks in Dublin til 2021 ???

Is 2020 not SA and AUS, with NZ and Argentina in 21?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭bmcc10

Replacement hooker Brenden 'Bundee' Akin been flown in to replace the injured Sean Cronin he can play center also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,218 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

blackwhite wrote: »
    Is 2020 not SA and AUS, with NZ and Argentina in 21?

2020 is Australia, not sure if South Africa is included. ‘22 is New Zealand apparently. Don’t think anything has been announced for ‘21 but it’ll probably be a tier two nation like US with it being a lions year.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,760 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Birdie Num Num

P.Walnuts wrote: »
    I HATE bio's but Brennans was the exception to that rule, genuinely moving in places.

Gave up on BODs after about a third of the way through, EOS was even worse IMO

Surprised you even got that far! I gave up after a discussion about what to have for brunch when out with the Kearney brothers. I almost faltered earlier when he listed off a choice of nursery rhymes he should play for Sadie.

ClanofLams wrote: »
    2020 is Australia, not sure if South Africa is included. ‘22 is New Zealand apparently. Don’t think anything has been announced for ‘21 but it’ll probably be a tier two nation like US with it being a lions year.

https://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/international-rugby/australia-return-on-cards-in-2020-for-ireland-plus-a-trip-to-the-pacific-islands-37288000.html

The Irish union also revealed that they will welcome Australia and South Africa for their November games in 2020, with New Zealand and Argentina visiting Dublin in 2021.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,578 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Surprised you even got that far! I gave up after a discussion about what to have for brunch when out with the Kearney brothers. I almost faltered earlier when he listed off a choice of nursery rhymes he should play for Sadie.

Is O'Connell's any good, it is lying around here somewhere and meant to read it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Birdie Num Num

Is O'Connell's any good, it is lying around here somewhere and meant to read it.

Never read it. I would expect it is better, surely it can't be any worse.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,551 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

This is completely off topic, but anyone know if the Sam Warburton one is any good?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭Miley Byrne

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Tony cascarinos is very good.

And while not an autobiography, castel de sangro is a great sports book about a relatively unknown sports story

+1 Brilliant book

• Subscribers Posts: 41,470 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

+1 Brilliant book

suppose i should give it its proper title

'The Miracle Of Castel Di Sangro'

• Registered Users Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

blackwhite wrote: »

Does the general public have a hope in hell of getting tickets to these games or are the majority of the tickets gone right away to clubs/sponsors/corporates?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

D.Q wrote: »
    Does the general public have a hope in hell of getting tickets to these games or are the majority of the tickets gone right away to clubs/sponsors/corporates?
    November games will go primarily to stakeholders within irfu so clubs, schools, refs, provinces and then sponsors and corporates. If any left over they go to public. Not sure if any will go on sale to public and ideally they wont

If the "general public" want access to tickets, all they have to do is join their local club.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,371 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Not terrible but boring.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭darklighter

Theres generally a 3 game package deal available to the public which is usually good value in my opinion

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

Theres generally a 3 game package deal available to the public which is usually good value in my opinion

Sorry to keep dragging if off topic, do you know when in the year they go on sale?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

As Ireland make final preparations for their quarter final, is anyone else wondering what was the point of bringing Jean Klyne? He brought nothing to the table and I suspect he has played his last game for Ireland at this point.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭sxt

As Ireland make final preparations for their quarter final, is anyone else wondering what was the point of bringing Jean Klyne? He brought nothing to the table and I suspect he has played his last game for Ireland at this point.

I think he was brought with South Africa in mind, and would have almost certainly started that game. Probably being replaced by Henderson after 50 or 60 mins

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Tickets for November games are always made available on Ticketmaster. The majority do go elsewhere but always plenty for general sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

impossible and crazy to say hes played last game for Ireland. He presumably was brought with south Africa in mind

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,551 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Absolutely not the case. He's only 26.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Gonad

I’m seriously considering putting 500 euros on the 4 underdogs this weekend .

Australia
    Ireland
    France
    Japan

500 pays back 150K

The first 3 are very possible . The Japan game less likely but maybe worth the punt . Missus is trying to talk me round to just putting 100 on it but secretly thinking of sticking down 1000 :)

Gaff bought and a new car in the garden by the end of next week :)

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭part time punk

impossible and crazy to say hes played last game for Ireland. He presumably was brought with south Africa in mind

More likely is whether Toner has played his last game for Ireland? I hope not but ...

• Registered Users Posts: 21,645 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

More likely is whether Toner has played his last game for Ireland? I hope not but ...

I've a sneaking suspicion Dev might be off to France. His contract is up at the end of this season, and if he's out of the international picture there's a good chance he might take the cash for a year or two abroad in the vein of POC and Donnacha Ryan.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Yeah he has I reckon.

Being dropped behind either Beirne or Kleyn would have been odd enough but both of them? Something going on there. He's done IMO.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement