Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XI: Team of nervoUS MOD warning Post 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Kevski

Anyone know when the team is set to be named? Thursday?

Gerry Thornley was on Second Captains recently and mentioned that Farrell was going to name his teams on Tuesdays.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,679 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Killer
    Herring
    Furlong
    Toner
    Ryan
    POM
    VDF
    CJ
    Murray
    Sexton
    Earls
    Bundee
    Henshaw
    Conway
    Larmer

great team, but you left kleyn out, much better than ryan , and that VDf isnt up to much, ther has to be someone better than another blue tinted selection.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,105 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Kevski wrote: »
    Gerry Thornley was on Second Captains recently and mentioned that Farrell was going to name his teams on Tuesdays.

Nice and early, I like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

thebaz wrote: »
    great team, but you left kleyn out, much better than ryan , and that VDf isnt up to much, ther has to be someone better than another blue tinted selection.

Kleyn is injured

• Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

He's also a bit rubbish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Buer wrote: »
    This...this... is going to be awkward.

Now I mean it this time.

Shut up Buer.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,931 ✭✭✭jacothelad

Now I mean it this time.

Shut up Buer.

It's even worse. Apparently Hayes has given up pajamas and now uses a .....nightshirt.

jacothelad wrote: »
    It's even worse. Apparently Hayes has given up pajamas and now uses a .....nightshirt.

Don't make me tell you as well.

The 42 have done another article ranking Ireland's potential starters. This time it's the centres. The things that stood out are Ringrose's incredible attacking stats and Ali's excellent work in defence.

Ringrose has made a stunning 20 clean line breaks so far this season, more than double the next best centre – Henshaw on nine. Ringrose has beaten 36 defenders in total, well clear of Henshaw and McCloskey on 25 each.

We have also seen Ringrose provide opportunities for others with two try assists and a further eight passes that resulted in team-mates making line breaks. In short, the Leinster 13 is on fire in attack.

Defensively, Ringrose is intelligent and makes good reads. An 81.7% tackle success rate doesn’t quite underline his defensive quality – some of his missed tackles prevent the opposition from getting into more dangerous positions – but there is definitely real scope for Ringrose to be a more dominant tackler. His reading of the game gets him into great positions in defence, where he can be more consistent in finishing the job.

Aki is an explosive athlete and his tackling is a strength, the Connacht man having a midfield-leading 91.2% tackle success so far this season, while also earning two turnovers in tackles.

The 29-year-old also offers a breakdown threat that none of the other centres aside from McCloskey can provide. Aki has won a whopping 10 jackal turnovers this season, more than any other player in Ireland’s squad. It’s a handy skill to have in midfield.

https://www.the42.ie/ireland-six-nations-centres-4977335-Jan2020/

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Clegg wrote: »
    I was always a fan of Cave. Excellent defender and could put his outside backs into space. But it's an unfortunate fact that he never had any pace whatsoever. I'll never forget a 34 year old BOD making an outside break against him in the 2012 European Cup Final and Cave struggling to make the recovery tackle. He was 25 at the time.

Ringrose can probably improve on his ability to out players into space. But in terms of all round ability he laps Cave.
    Is this a rugby trait or something else?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

prawnsambo wrote: »
    Is this a rugby trait or something else?

Ringrose does a lot of behind the scenes work to help gay astronauts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭typhoony

The 42 have done another article ranking Ireland's potential starters. This time it's the centres. The things that stood out are Ringrose's incredible attacking stats and Ali's excellent work in defence.

Agreed, Ali's float like a butterfly stings like a bee defence for Ireland has been a big positive.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,105 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Ireland (possible): J Larmour; A Conway, G Ringrose, R Henshaw, J Stockdale; J Sexton (capt), J Cooney; D Kilcoyne, R Kelleher, T Furlong; I Henderson, J Ryan; CJ Stander, J van der Flier, C Doris. Replacements: D Heffernan, C Healy, A Porter, U Dillane, P O’Mahony, C Murray, R Byrne, W Addison.

From the IT.

While I don't agree with Kilcoyne starting as Healy is in brilliant form, that's generally a very progressive line up. POM would be a waste of a bench spot though. Offers no impact as a sub other than in the lineout and goes against the other bench spits where the potential impact is huge.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,590 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

From the IT.

i hope thats the team thats named

if its correct, its a real challenge for Kelleher... an in turn Henderson, if hes calling the line out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

While I don't agree with Kilcoyne starting as Healy is in brilliant form, that's generally a very progressive line up. POM would be a waste of a bench spot though. Offers no impact as a sub other than in the lineout and goes against the other bench spits where the potential impact is huge.

Healy won’t play every game so giving kilcoyne a start v Scotland makes sense. I think we should expect to win the game

I haven’t seen a huge amount of kilcoyne since the WC due to his injury but the bits I seen he was playing well.....

I don’t understand the POM on bench either, I suppose dropping him out of the entire match day squad would be a huge deal

• Subscribers Posts: 41,590 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Theres just over a year between Healy and Killer, so i can see them sharing time pretty equally through the competition... but the incumbent will be whoever lines away in twickenham, assuming everyone is fit

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

That side makes a lot of sense. Kilcoyne vs Healy I wouldnt be at all fussed about. As mentioned above they can share starts. And starting Killer against the Scots makes sense.

Only area of concern is the line out. Ulster's has been crap all season. Is Hendersons selection with an inexperienced hooker potentially an issue there? Other than that I cant argue with that at all. Aki a little unfortunate not to be ahead of Henshaw, but that's it.

Lots of ball carrying options in the pack is good to see. I like the balance of the back row. And the backs generally pick themselves other than 12. Could be an exciting line up. POM on the bench brings leadership and line out options I guess...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

I think that team is Gavin Cummiskey taking a stab at it rather than any inside info

Still, I'd be happy enough with it

Good to see Dillane in there. He's coming into his prime at 26 years old so the next 12-18 months are big for him.

Overall a good mix of young/old and in form/established names.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭kilns

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Healy won’t play every game so giving kilcoyne a start v Scotland makes sense. I think we should expect to win the game

I haven’t seen a huge amount of kilcoyne since the WC due to his injury but the bits I seen he was playing well.....

I don’t understand the POM on bench either, I suppose dropping him out of the entire match day squad would be a huge deal

What impact would POM honestly bring off the bench. He is a not a ball carrier who will make hay against tiring defences, he doesnt have speed to test tiring teams. If we are chasing a game, its like taking off a centre forward and bringing on a defensive midfielder. He starts or nothing I think and has done nothing to justify he starts so I would see it as a huge deal if he is in the 23

A player like Deegan would offer way more off the bench

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Mr Tickle

kilns wrote: »
    What impact would POM honestly bring off the bench. He is a not a ball carrier who will make hay against tiring defences, he doesnt have speed to test tiring teams. If we are chasing a game, its like taking off a centre forward and bringing on a defensive midfielder. He starts or nothing I think and has done nothing to justify he starts so I would see it as a huge deal if he is in the 23

Is it a "just in case" kind of decision? Just in case Dorris totally ****s the bed on his first cap. I don't think he will, but there's a lot of pressure and it's a new coach who'll have them trying to change their game plan to some extent.

Maybe the idea is that if it's going badly then you have a very steady pair of hands coming in.
    Or if we take an injury in the back row early on, we won't have two very young guys in there making their first start together.

In terms of the lineout he's an easy target for the two inexperienced hookers too.

By the end of the 6N we'll know more bout Deegan, Dorris and JOD. For the moment i'm happy to see a transition rather than scrapping the guys that are there and starting again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭Granny15

I'll be surprised if Connors makes the bench. He's been average this season and handing out caps like that degrades the jersey.

Please don't all kick off on me but in my humble opinion he's nowhere near deserving of a cap yet.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

kilns wrote: »

Could you not equally say, if we are leading a game, it's like taking off a centre forward and bringing on a defensive midfielder? And we're more likely to be leading against Scotland than chasing.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭armchaircoach

Granny15 wrote: »
    I'll be surprised if Connors makes the bench. He's been average this season and handing out caps like that degrades the jersey.

Please don't all kick off on me but in my humble opinion he's nowhere near deserving of a cap yet.

This has to be the most bizarre vendetta against a player since Kearney scowled at someone in a nightclub!

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Kevski

He was named in the Development Squad so I don’t think you need to worry yourself.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Nor do I expect him to get one, tbh. He was named as a "Developement Player" so is largely just there for the experience for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭kingofthekong

This has to be the most bizarre vendetta against a player since Kearney scowled at someone in a nightclub!

Lol hes quit his job and now spends his days throwing darts at a Will Connors poster on his wall

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭kilns

aloooof wrote: »
    Could you not equally say, if we are leading a game, it's like taking off a centre forward and bringing on a defensive midfielder? And we're more likely to be leading against Scotland than chasing.

If we have to hang on and bring on a defensive player (one who tackles) Id rather one of the younger back rows come on a get tested rather than an out of form player who we know what he offers. Experience counts for nothing if you are playing rubbish

Just an opinion

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭thegreycity

Word is he's starting against Scotland, and is already being considered for player of the tournament.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement