Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XI: Team of nervoUS MOD warning Post 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

Why is that? Because we might lose?

Because most of that team are still the best players we have. We don’t have 15 blokes breaking doors down to get in we’ve probably half that. Like 9 of that team from the WC are still undeniably first choice at this point unless something changes in the next few weeks.

Surely a team where 2 of Larmour/Conway/Addison are finally first choice, Doris, Byrne, Kelleher, Dillane, Cooney, Deegan are getting runs is progress no? I’d start cooney myself but won’t get too disappointed if he doesn’t

After cooney I just don’t see where the other starting changes might be. Kelleher got injured at a brutal time.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Why is that? Because we might lose? Wouldn't that be terrible.
    Would kinda think the point of playing competitive sport would be to win.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Cian Tracey of the Indo has posted his team. All these potential sides seem like guesswork rather than sourced info.

Possible Ireland team to play Scotland on Saturday – W Addison; A Conway/K Earls/J Larmour, G Ringrose, R Henshaw, J Stockdale; J Sexton, C Murray; C Healy, R Herring, T Furlong; J Ryan, I Henderson; CJ Stander, J van der Flier, C Doris.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

Anyone who names a potential side with three names for one position should just not bother

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

prawnsambo wrote: »
    Would kinda think the point of playing competitive sport would be to win.

Sure how many times has it been said about evolution over revolution. About how provincial form doesnt always transfer to international form. About how different game plans and different partnerships can actually have an impact (shock horror). About how we're not privy to even a fraction of the info that coaches have. About how leadership at this level is crucial and so a balance is required to ensure that. So many, many reasons for some guys getting selected over others, yet it always seems to boil down to "give the young lad a go because we've to build for the WC" or "if any of what you do is the same as before I'm just going to say that all you're doing is the same as before" or whatever. Some people just see things in black and white when far more often than not it's not that straight forward.

Personally I'd start Cooney because all I have to go on is the form I see on the tele and from the stands. But if Murray is selected over him I understand that there could be any number of reasons for that. And so I'm okay with it. The only time I'd get pissed off about it is if Murray continues to show really poor form and Cooney is coming off the bench and clearly the better player over 2 or 3 games, but Farrell sticks with Murray anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Well in 6 months we'll have a 6N campaign under our belts, if he picks the starting XV in every match but we win a slam then I don't think there'll be too many complaints.

What do you think, just pick the same team in every match from now until the end of time? Results be damned. Hopefully 2020 is every bit as successful as 2019.

No I think pick the players you think suit your system best. If you win everyone will be happy, if you lose everyone will moan. That’s what being a head coach is about. It sure as hell isn’t about picking lads because you think they’re sound blokes.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,679 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Bridge93 wrote: »
    Anyone who names a potential side with three names for one position should just not bother

Earls WAS a super player , but how he is now being considered along with Larmour and Conway - we need a new begining to try and wipe away the WC memory , yes the core of that team should still be picked , cause they are still the best - but some clearly have lossed form this year - Kearney/Earls/Murray/POM , and should be nowhere near a new team (Murray on the bench should be the only one

• Registered Users Posts: 11,358 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Find it odd that lots seems to be plumping for Aki over Henshaw in the media. Whilst it doesn’t bother me either way he had a decent WC.

salmocab wrote: »
    Find it odd that lots seems to be plumping for Aki over Henshaw in the media. Whilst it doesn’t bother me either way he had a decent WC.
    Also been playing very well for Leinster. Lots of breaks. He has that sort of gambolling stride that seems to wrong foot defenders.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

POM can only be dropped from the 23 with his agreement, and not just just a simple decision by the coaching team. He will leave on his own terms, at a time of his choosing, and with a banner of a height that he will specify. Farrel and co would have it in their contracts a prohibition them from dropping him without POM proposing it unless a sequence of very stringent criteria are met which go up to and including approval from the Council of State.
    yerrahbah wrote: »
    And dont forget the unwritten rule between journalists not to criticise him.

Hes the new Rob so.

• Advertisement

prawnsambo wrote: »
    Also been playing very well for Leinster. Lots of breaks. He has that sort of gambolling stride that seems to wrong foot defenders.

Yeah I have no beef either way just surprised so many seem to be coming down on the Henshaw side when I’d personally have thought it’s the most 50/50 call in the whole squad.

salmocab wrote: »
    Yeah I have no beef either way just surprised so many seem to be coming down on the Henshaw side when I’d personally have thought it’s the most 50/50 call in the whole squad.
    Yeah, wouldn't get exercised either way. Henshaw and Aki each bring their own style to the position. Choosing one over the other won't weaken us either way imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,682 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Am hearing POM not in 23

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

Hes the new Rob so.

Well, POM is a sensitive topic. For understandable reasons.

In effect, for Munster fans, he is the last link to the Thousand Year Thomond. For those reared on the hunt for the Holy Grail, and a series of Liginds stretching back through Paulie, Axel, Bull, Fester, The Claw, Gollimh, etc, POM is the last carrier of that mythical flame. A Munster rugby mindset. And with it, the dreadful reality, that the age of liginds is fading away.
    That it was a brief moment in time, and not an assertion of eternal rugby superiority the Munster way, with a conveyor belt of eternally renewing talent of that level is hard to accept. People's dreams, beliefs, and a way of life, all hang on POM now, for they know that with him, the delicate thread link to that era will die.

POM is, The Last of The Liginds.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    Am hearing POM not in 23

Oh it's not gonna be pretty on here.

FACECUTTR wrote: »

Stander VDF Doris
    Deegan on bench

That's the text I received. Person is a cousin of a player.

No other team info in it

• Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

I think most fans realise it's the right call though.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Be disappointed to see Murray start ahead of Cooney. Definitely not the form selection. Hopefully Farrell trusts his sub 9s more than Joe did and they get more than a token minute or two here and there when the game is already won or lost.

I actually think most won’t really be bothered barring one or two who will have a pop regardless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

Am hearing POM not in 23

Help lines to counsellors are already in place.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Zzippy wrote: »
    Be disappointed to see Murray start ahead of Cooney. Definitely not the form selection.

Well, it looks like we are seeing at least two previously automatic choices being dropped (in Earls and POM) so I think we can say that Farrell is open to change and picking on form.

A huge part of selection is what happens in training so maybe Cooney hasn't impressed enough. Maybe Murray is burning it up. We don't know.

• Administrators Posts: 53,829 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

If this back row selection is true, and Cooney is at least on the bench, then I am warming to Farrell. I'll warm even more if unlike his predecessor he's actually willing to use his sub halfbacks.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

OUTRAGE

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭yerrahbah

Well, POM is a sensitive topic. For understandable reasons.

In effect, for Munster fans, he is the last link to the Thousand Year Thomond. For those reared on the hunt for the Holy Grail, and a series of Liginds stretching back through Paulie, Axel, Bull, Fester, The Claw, Gollimh, etc, POM is the last carrier of that mythical flame. A Munster rugby mindset. And with it, the dreadful reality, that the age of liginds is fading away.
    That it was a brief moment in time, and not an assertion of eternal rugby superiority the Munster way, with a conveyor belt of eternally renewing talent of that level is hard to accept. People's dreams, beliefs, and a way of life, all hang on POM now, for they know that with him, the delicate thread link to that era will die.

POM is, The Last of The Liginds.

What did I just read?

awec wrote: »
    he's actually willing to use his sub halfbacks.

I think this is the key bit. No problem with Murray starting so long as he isn't taken off after 77 min to give Cooney the token 3 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,684 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Zzippy wrote: »
    Be disappointed to see Murray start ahead of Cooney. Definitely not the form selection. Hopefully Farrell trusts his sub 9s more than Joe did and they get more than a token minute or two here and there when the game is already won or lost.

I'd be in the same boat, but to be honest I'll probably wait and see how Murray goes behind a winning pack and see if he's regained some of his 2018 form. If he doesn't go well against Scotland and Farrell sticks with him for the Welsh game I'll be fairly disappointed. Similarly if Sexton starts and looks like he's still carrying a bit of a knock (considering he's been injured for the past 6 weeks or so), I'd hope that Byrne or Burns gets a shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

Stander VDF Doris
    Deegan on bench

That's the text I received. Person is a cousin of a player.

No other team info in it

That back row has serious potential.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,840 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

Against the head are going with the newspapers as reliable sources.
    So it looks like
    Murray
    Henshaw

8 Dorris & CJ at 6. Deegan 20. Kelleher
    Addison at FB
    Conway or Larmour at 14

In my mind Farrell has made the correct and positive selection in the backrow.
    Wrong halfbacks and 12. & hopefully Conway gets the 14 jersey. He’s more than earned it!

It’s daft that Cooney isn’t been given his shot at this stage. It’s Scotland...and Murray!
    Would find it odd if Larmour is starting anywhere other than 15.

Not terribly pushed about selections tbh. Nothing could ever be as bad as the bad old days of EOS and Kidney. How we play over the next few matches will be of more interest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭Vinnie222

Well, it looks like we are seeing at least two previously automatic choices being dropped (in Earls and POM) so I think we can say that Farrell is open to change and picking on form.

A huge part of selection is what happens in training so maybe Cooney hasn't impressed enough. Maybe Murray is burning it up. We don't know.

Earls is injured

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement