Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XI: Team of nervoUS MOD warning Post 1

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

I am not sure whats more annoying, you supposing the boys will have a bad game, or the last 2 weeks of you and kilns talking about how crap the boys are, every post.

Who is Quinny etc...? just Munster players or others with an opinion you don´t trust?

Not sure what you are talking about.

I was excused of been too positive on here and not living in reality. Now I am been accused of been overly negative.

They all wear green, issue is the most out of form players at the moment come from one province. You can't ignore that and say its people with an agenda against Munster player. I would prefer to see JOD get a chance than POM.

If I was so anti Munster why did I want Conway to start over Stockdale? or Farrell to start with Aki in centre???

For Murray I would prefer if they brought Casey up and started him. Or Blade. They don't seem to want to start Cooney for whatever reason so go to another player.

It's the Ireland thread, not the Munster thread. Out of form players,no matter what province they play for should not be starting for Ireland. That's the simple fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

I said in the past, selection choice, game plan etc will be incremental. Farrell is making changes. We tried to be more heads up and have width this past weekend. Nobody here will agree on team selection. But its a process, change will occur.
    Our main problems are the back row being outmuscled. We also are persisting with a very mediocre 9. Also in general the pack has been underwhelming. But what does Farrell do? He's decided on the squad and he's about to cap 5 new lads! I think leaving Ruddock out was nuts. Ruddock brings ballast and power and that's what we need. However, Farrell is obviously looking on down the road. The inclusion of Deegan. Doris and JOD verifies this.
    I believe we will get it right. We will see Deegan this weekend and I think he brings a skillset to the team that we lack. He's a pacy 8 with skill. If he gets fast ball at the rucks he can really cause Wales problems. I think the load has to be spread more among the pack. Stander and Ryan are our bread and butter, but why not use Henderson and VDF more? Attacking the defense with speed will open holes and wear them down.
    I think Chris Farrell should have been selected too! He's a very good 13 and is a mountain of a man. Cooney will get a chance also! I think Farrell will pull the plug on Murray if he's underwhelming. That is something J.S never did! Murray and Sexton got to play almost every minute! So, there are some changes. Nothing startling, but still change.
    On another note, I hope Kilcoyne is fully recovered. He was on queer street last weekend and I would be hesitant to play him.
    I really would like to see Dillane play in these matches. I think he could really prosper and give us a boost off the bench. Toner has been great this season, but I think he should start or not be in the matchday 23.

Dubinusa wrote: »
    I said in the past, selection choice, game plan etc will be incremental. Farrell is making changes. We tried to be more heads up and have width this past weekend. Nobody here will agree on team selection. But its a process, change will occur.
    Our main problems are the back row being outmuscled. We also are persisting with a very mediocre 9. Also in general the pack has been underwhelming. But what does Farrell do? He's decided on the squad and he's about to cap 5 new lads! I think leaving Ruddock out was nuts. Ruddock brings ballast and power and that's what we need. However, Farrell is obviously looking on down the road. The inclusion of Deegan. Doris and JOD verifies this.
    I believe we will get it right. We will see Deegan this weekend and I think he brings a skillset to the team that we lack. He's a pacy 8 with skill. If he gets fast ball at the rucks he can really cause Wales problems. I think the load has to be spread more among the pack. Stander and Ryan are our bread and butter, but why not use Henderson and VDF more? Attacking the defense with speed will open holes and wear them down.
    I think Chris Farrell should have been selected too! He's a very good 13 and is a mountain of a man. Cooney will get a chance also! I think Farrell will pull the plug on Murray if he's underwhelming. That is something J.S never did! Murray and Sexton got to play almost every minute! So, there are some changes. Nothing startling, but still change.
    On another note, I hope Kilcoyne is fully recovered. He was on queer street last weekend and I would be hesitant to play him.
    I really would like to see Dillane play in these matches. I think he could really prosper and give us a boost off the bench. Toner has been great this season, but I think he should start or not be in the matchday 23.

Joe didn’t really get the chance to pull the plug on Murray....he started the 6 nations and they tried to play him into form while trying some new things

It’s didn’t work and the WC was on them, in the first match V Scotland Murray was good, then poor

This was the chance to pull the plug, Farrell has ever reason not to include but he hasn’t. Scotland and Italy are the bottom two teams in 6 nations so if you want to experiment you do it v them. Ok he tried Doris but he could have stuck on Cooney and then put on Murray with Byrne. That would have made sense with an experience 9 with the young 10.

On Joe playing Sexton all the time, this is not true. He gave huge experience to PJ and at the end of his career PJ was pushing to start instead of Sexton in Nov. Then he was lost and they ended up with a very inexperienced option, when they did try to give Carbery minutes he was unfit.

Instead of taking a step forward we seemed to have gone backwards. If Best hadn’t retired would he be still in front row???

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Joe didn’t really get the chance to pull the plug on Murray....he started the 6 nations and they tried to play him into form while trying some new things

It’s didn’t work and the WC was on them, in the first match V Scotland Murray was good, then poor

This was the chance to pull the plug, Farrell has ever reason not to include but he hasn’t. Scotland and Italy are the bottom two teams in 6 nations so if you want to experiment you do it v them. Ok he tried Doris but he could have stuck on Cooney and then put on Murray with Byrne. That would have made sense with an experience 9 with the young 10.

On Joe playing Sexton all the time, this is not true. He gave huge experience to PJ and at the end of his career PJ was pushing to start instead of Sexton in Nov. Then he was lost and they ended up with a very inexperienced option, when they did try to give Carbery minutes he was unfit.

Instead of taking a step forward we seemed to have gone backwards. If Best hadn’t retired would he be still in front row???

PJ was better than the alternatives available currently. PJ was capped as a 21 yr old. He was an international quality 10. RB is only finding his feet Burns has yet to be capped and Carty and Carberry are not of the standard required, yet!
    I don't think Best would be close to selection. He stayed too long. His successor will be revealed fairly soon. I thought Scannell would have been the frontrunner, but he seems to be out of favor.

PJ was better than the alternatives available currently. PJ was capped as a 21 yr old. He was an international quality 10. RB is only finding his feet Burns has yet to be capped and Carty and Carberry are not of the standard required, yet!
    I don't think Best would be close to selection. He stayed too long. His successor will be revealed fairly soon. I thought Scannell would have been the frontrunner, but he seems to be out of favor.

Joe gave PJ the minutes to improve him

RB is only around the same age as when Sexton broke into the team so hard to tell yet. Carbery is international class, Carty is not good enough

Scannell has been around the squad a long time and never replaced Best, if he wasn’t good enough then I’m not sure why he would be good enough now. Maybe give Herring a chance

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭bcklschaps

Question that might have already been asked and answered. (apologies .. if soo)

Why are Ireland announcing our Team selection on Tuesday's now ? ... (instead of Thursday which was the norm)

Surely it gives an advantage to opponents to know our line-up 2 days in advance of when they announce their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

bcklschaps wrote: »

Why are Ireland announcing our Team selection on Tuesday's now ? ... (instead of Thursday which was the norm)

Surely it gives an advantage to opponents to know our line-up 2 days in advance of when they announce their own.
    because the new coach wants it announced earlier. I dont think it gives opposition much advantage at all. They analyse all guys within set up and have clips to look at/base their plans around. And plenty countries have been naming sides earlier than Thursday's for quite some time. It was schmidt's policy to do name side certain time but that doesnt mean you need maintain that

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

bcklschaps wrote: »

A lot of teams announce on Tuesday’s. Joe was the exception not the rule.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭D.Q

Who is PJ?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,820 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

D.Q wrote: »
    Who is PJ?

Paddy Jackson.

• Advertisement

Joe gave PJ the minutes to improve him

RB is only around the same age as when Sexton broke into the team so hard to tell yet. Carbery is international class, Carty is not good enough

Scannell has been around the squad a long time and never replaced Best, if he wasn’t good enough then I’m not sure why he would be good enough now. Maybe give Herring a chance

I disagree on Carberry. I've yet to see any performance remotely close to international class at 10. That may change!
    Calling a lad international class without any kind of history at his position? I don't think he is. He could come good, but who knows?
    He's only come of the bench with the odd start here and there. The potential is certainly there, he's a gifted rugby player. I do hope he becomes world class and leads us to a semi final at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,492 ✭✭✭swiwi_

I wonder what gets you out of the squad. It doesn't appear to be losing over and over again.

Have you had enough? Do you want to get out of the squad? Then we have the perfect answer for you! Introducing our all new patented Retirement™ system, as endorsed by celebrities such as BOD, Tommy Booooowe and Rory Best. All it takes is one call to media to say you won't be playing anymore, and you're out! You'll not only get our scientifically studied Retirement™ system, but we'll throw in a testimony match and an appearance with the world famous Baa-Baas. But wait, there's more! Order in the next 30 minutes, and we'll give your own exclusive newspaper column as well as commentary on European Cup and 6N rugby matches. Retirement™ - the proven failsafe device for getting out! Don't delay, our telephone operators are waiting your call!

I disagree on Carberry. I've yet to see any performance remotely close to international class at 10. That may change!
    Calling a lad international class without any kind of history at his position? I don't think he is. He could come good, but who knows?
    He's only come of the bench with the odd start here and there. The potential is certainly there, he's a gifted rugby player. I do hope he becomes world class and leads us to a semi final at least.

I said Carbery is international class, I didn’t say which position :-)

• Subscribers Posts: 41,590 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Good article in the 42 showing how larmour lacks passing opportunities when counter attacking, as the team hasn't yet got to grips with his counter attacking style and make quicker allowances for.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,105 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Good article in the 42 showing how larmour lacks passing opportunities when country attacking, as the team hasn't yet got to grips with his counter attacking style and make quicker allowances for.

I thought he was a bit more direct in running the ball back a few times (as in didn't try to step the whole Scotland team) which is fine because it let his support easily clear out the rucks but it clearly isn't playing to his strength. The outside break and offload from him in the first half is what we need to see more of.

When a guy like him with such a step and breaking threat gets the ball in space, defenders are automatically drawn inwards.

This means there is loads of space outside which we are not exploiting, which is the point of the piece

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭moritz1234

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Good article in the 42 showing how larmour lacks passing opportunities when country attacking, as the team hasn't yet got to grips with his counter attacking style and make quicker allowances for.

Oh sweet Jesus give me patience

• Registered Users Posts: 12,820 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

moritz1234 wrote: »

What's up buttercup?

You understand the premise of a dangerous, elusive runner coming towards you will instinctively cause the opposition to fixate on that player?
    Therefore when a defender starts to focus infield both in vision and body position that opens up space in the wider channels which allows opportunities for better attacking.

Simple really.

:D:D:D:D:D

sounds like its more than patience you need

• Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

New deal for Stockdale. Can we get Ringrose on one next pls.

https://twitter.com/Murray_Kinsella/status/1225366590377594883?s=19

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,649 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

Clegg wrote: »
    New deal for Stockdale. Can we get Ringrose on one next pls.

https://twitter.com/Murray_Kinsella/status/1225366590377594883?s=19

Indo saying Garry is in talks for one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭kilns

Tompkins at centre and North back to the wing for Wales

Its a pity as defensively North may have been a weak link to be got at in that position

• Registered Users Posts: 6,004 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

You do understand that counter attacking from fullback requires more than just the fullback to be involved. Don't you?

I said Carbery is international class, I didn’t say which position :-)

Ok. Thought u meant 10!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,673 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Any predictions for Saturday?

Think Wales will win a close game

• Registered Users Posts: 10,449 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    Any predictions for Saturday?

Think Wales will win a close game

I think Wales will win comfortably myself. Scotland should've beaten us , and Wales are a much better team than them. We've lost our best back, and playing a backrow combo that has been ineffective for the last few seasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,649 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

Bookies have it evens with Ireland just shading it

EDIT: I don't even know what I was trying to type there....

Ireland are 10/11 and -4

Think Wales will win. Probably comfortably! Which would not be a poor return, if Farrell makes the calls that need to be made in the future.
    Out of curiosity had any centrally contracted player ever been dropped?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,611 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Think Wales will win. Probably comfortably! Which would not be a poor return, if Farrell makes the calls that need to be made in the future.

Jack McGrath I think? Dev Toner might still be on a CC and we didn't even take him to the world cup.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,105 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Of course they have Toner and McGrath in very recent history.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement