Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XI: Team of nervoUS MOD warning Post 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,358 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Of course they have Toner and McGrath in very recent history.

In fact this very season

• Subscribers Posts: 41,590 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

I think Wales will win comfortably myself. Scotland should've beaten us , and Wales are a much better team than them. We've lost our best back, and playing a backrow combo that has been ineffective for the last few seasons.

I dont think wales will win "comfortably"

i do think the ease of their win last week will stand to them, and i think they have a better balanced selection this week than last.

however i think they are in a flux of how they want to play, or more importantly how pivac wants them to play. They got it so easy last weekend that their running lines weren't challenged, and they definitely will not get it so easy this weekend.

Im expecting henshaw to give tompkins a torrid time. Henshaw is physically more massive than tomkin and i think if he gets sniff at a weak shoulder he will make gains. Hopefully our back 3 will be alive to these breaks. I would have liked to have ringrose in their to question his positioning, but henshaw provides a different challenge altogether.

Up front i hope we can disrupt their line outs.... the have no obvious 3rd jumper in that all the back row are the same physically... so throwing POM up at 2 and matching their movement should be enough to cause problems.

Both irish propos are better around the park than their counterparts, but they need to get the ball with space ahead to maximise their carries.

the winning and losing of this game will come down to the tempo employed by murray .. slow it down when necessary but he needs to visibility up the tempo when required too... this part was missing from his game last saturday.
    obviously cleaner ball will help, and thats where we need all players to step up. i don't believe pointe will allow the mess that reynal allowed last week... and keeping everyone honest at the breakdown should suit us.

Ireland by 3

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭penybont exile

Given the players missing who are probably ahead in the pecking order a win on Saturday would be a very good result ......

15-Leigh Halfpenny - Liam Williams
    14-George North [Borrowed Time assuming LRZ keeps improving]
    13-Nick Tompkins - Jon Davies
    12-Hadleigh Parkes
    11-Josh Adams
    10-Dan Biggar - Gareth Anscombe / Rhys Patchell [Saying that Biggar is playing well]
    9-Tomos Williams - Gareth Davies [Suspect would have started last week if he'd had a bit more game time]
    8-Taulupe Faletau - Josh Navidi [Suspect would have got the nod if he'd been fit]
    7-Justin Tipuric
    6-Aaron Wainwright
    5-Alun Wyn Jones (captain)
    4-Jake Ball
    3-Dillon Lewis - Tomos Francis
    2-Ken Owens
    1-Wyn Jones.

Faletau has been rushed back IMO
    Tomos Williams is a good nine but Gareth Davies has the edge at the moment and will be dangerous running at tired legs.

Looking forward to seeing Tompkins with ball in hand. I think he may cause your boys some problems. Hope it stays dry.

The scratched guys are not far away. Most would be in the 23.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭kilns

It will be a one score game as both defences are very good, it will come down to discipline and which kicker punishes the most I feel.

Wales have the advantage in the back row but our front row is better around the pitch then theirs. We need to test Tompkins out and hope Henshaw gets the better of him.

If we give the stupid penalties we gave away last weekend, we will lose if we keep our discipline I think we might just do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Given the players missing who are probably ahead in the pecking order a win on Saturday would be a very good result ......

15-Leigh Halfpenny - Liam Williams
    14-George North [Borrowed Time assuming LRZ keeps improving]
    13-Nick Tompkins - Jon Davies
    12-Hadleigh Parkes
    11-Josh Adams
    10-Dan Biggar - Gareth Anscombe / Rhys Patchell [Saying that Biggar is playing well]
    9-Tomos Williams - Gareth Davies [Suspect would have started last week if he'd had a bit more game time]
    8-Taulupe Faletau - Josh Navidi [Suspect would have got the nod if he'd been fit]
    7-Justin Tipuric
    6-Aaron Wainwright
    5-Alun Wyn Jones (captain)
    4-Jake Ball
    3-Dillon Lewis - Tomos Francis
    2-Ken Owens
    1-Wyn Jones.

Faletau has been rushed back IMO
    Tomos Williams is a good nine but Gareth Davies has the edge at the moment and will be dangerous running at tired legs.

Looking forward to seeing Tompkins with ball in hand. I think he may cause your boys some problems. Hope it stays dry.

The scratched guys are not far away. Most would be in the 23.

Storm forecast for Saturday, not likely to be dry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭eclipsechaser

stephen_n wrote: »
    What did he do better than Murray when he came on during the game on Saturday? I didn’t see any notable difference between them. You’re 100% right he is having a much better season than Murray. But what did Murray do so wrong on Saturday that Conney did better?

Better box kicks - including the superb one from the Irish 22 to the Scottish 10m line. The non-touch kicks were all highly contestable.

He made 2 strong tackles in the space of a few seconds shortly after coming on. 8 tackles total in his time on the pitch.

Higher tempo.

Didn't throw an intercept that could have cost the match.

Better box kicks - including the superb one from the Irish 22 to the Scottish 10m line. The non-touch kicks were all highly contestable.

He made 2 strong tackles in the space of a few seconds shortly after coming on. 8 tackles total in his time on the pitch.

Higher tempo.

Murray's kicks were perfect bar one which had little distance

Typical .... maybe it will hold off until after the game.

Higher tempo.

As already discussed better box kicks how, because you think so, without knowing the objective of the kicks.

I didn’t notice any higher tempo in our attack at all after he came on, that’s wishful thinking.

So he tackled more often than Murray, that’s the difference.

Typical .... maybe it will hold off until after the game.

Hopefully, it would make for a much better game. Don’t think poor conditions suit either team.

• Advertisement

Hopefully, it would make for a much better game. Don’t think poor conditions suit either team.
    TBH I'm more concerned about getting soaked myself :) .... I think our tickets are close to the pitch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Rain, hail, snow, sleet or sun.....it doesn't matter to Murray.....

As already discussed better box kicks how, because you think so, without knowing the objective of the kicks.

So he tackled more often than Murray, that’s the difference.

The ones that went to touch were longer than Murray's.

Aside from tackling more than Murray, Cooney also didn't throw an intercept pass.

The ones that went to touch were longer than Murray's.

Aside from tackling more than Murray, Cooney also didn't throw an intercept pass.

Cooney was on for 20 minutes, Murray 60, that’s a lot more time to make a mistake. Also passing is clearly not a strength of Cooney’s as displayed on Saturday, his passing was far from accurate.

Cooney’s kicks to touch or one kick to touch?

The reality of last Saturday was Murray had an ok game and Cooney had an ok 20 minutes. Nothing more, nothing less.

TBH I'm more concerned about getting soaked myself :) .... I think our tickets are close to the pitch.

Met Éireann app is saying no rain till 4pm, you might be in luck.

Cooney was on for 20 minutes, Murray 60, that’s a lot more time to make a mistake. Also passing is clearly not a strength of Cooney’s as displayed on Saturday, his passing was far from accurate.

The reality of last Saturday was Murray had an ok game and Cooney had an ok 20 minutes. Nothing more, nothing less.

Not commenting on Cooney but Murray passing was also poor

I pointed it out at the time but not just the speedof his pass but also his accuracy was off. He was passing and some of the time Sexton had to slow down to receive because it wasn't quick enough or ended up slowing down and trying to grab out of the air as was too high.....

Kicks to touch plural. Here's every box-kick. Cooney had a smaller sample naturally but all 3 kicks were excellent and 2 had objectively better outcomes than the best Murray equivalents.

Murray wasn't bad. But Cooney was better.

If you think Cooney's passing was worse than Murray's, I really don't know what to say...

Conor Murray

2:30 Irish player tries to contest but doesn't get to the ball as it's too long.

17:05 tries to contest but doesn't make it to ball (more the fault of blocking)

21:38 Halfway inside the Irish 22. Kicks to touch halfway between Irish 22 and halfway line.

22:20 tries to contest but doesn't get to ball. Very close attempt.

25:15 box-kick with about 10 metres of length. Small distance but Irish player gets taken out. Penalty to Ireland.

35:16 just outside the 22. Ball lands infield just inside Irish half with no attempt to contest.

57:10 Kick to touch from just inside 22 to halfway line. Good kick.

John Cooney

66:06 a quick box-kick from the Scottish 10 metre line over the head of the out of position FB and into touch between the 22 and Scottish try line.

67:40 from the Scottish 10 metre line to the Scottish 22. Irish player contests and knocks the ball back on the Irish side. Aki judged to knock on from the knock back. First time the ball has been knocked back (or touched) by an Irish player from a box-kick.

73:12 inside the Irish 22 and into touch around the Scottish 10 metre line. Longest clearing kick.

Maybe we are all wrong and know nothing (well we are keyboard warriors) but Matt Williams declared on Second Captains that our back row was very balanced :eek::eek:

kilns wrote: »
    Maybe we are all wrong and know nothing (well we are keyboard warriors) but Matt Williams declared on Second Captains that our back row was very balanced :eek::eek:

Matty was in France and on the wine

He also said you would never beat NZ scoring one try

Kicks to touch plural. Here's every box-kick. Cooney had a smaller sample naturally but all 3 kicks were excellent and 2 had objectively better outcomes than the best Murray equivalents.

Murray wasn't bad. But Cooney was better.

If you think Cooney's passing was worse than Murray's, I really don't know what to say...

Conor Murray

2:30 Irish player tries to contest but doesn't get to the ball as it's too long.

17:05 tries to contest but doesn't make it to ball (more the fault of blocking)

21:38 Halfway inside the Irish 22. Kicks to touch halfway between Irish 22 and halfway line.

22:20 tries to contest but doesn't get to ball. Very close attempt.

25:15 box-kick with about 10 metres of length. Small distance but Irish player gets taken out. Penalty to Ireland.

35:16 just outside the 22. Ball lands infield just inside Irish half with no attempt to contest.

57:10 Kick to touch from just inside 22 to halfway line. Good kick.

John Cooney

66:06 a quick box-kick from the Scottish 10 metre line over the head of the out of position FB and into touch between the 22 and Scottish try line.

67:40 from the Scottish 10 metre line to the Scottish 22. Irish player contests and knocks the ball back on the Irish side. Aki judged to knock on from the knock back. First time the ball has been knocked back (or touched) by an Irish player from a box-kick.

73:12 inside the Irish 22 and into touch around the Scottish 10 metre line. Longest clearing kick.

So of Murray’s kicks only one was uncontestable, the one that went too long.

• Advertisement

You see what you want to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

This one's for awec. If he still has his eco-cups from last week, he could come out of Lansdowne quids up. ;)

Do you think Murray is in form and playing well?

You see what you want to see.

I think it was Mick O Driscoll I the Sunday World who gave POM the MoM award for the Japan game......

• Registered Users Posts: 12,820 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

prawnsambo wrote: »
    This one's for awec. If he still has his eco-cups from last week, he could come out of Lansdowne quids up. ;)

Rockshore? You'd be better off paying a quid for the cup and dipping it in the jacks.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

mfceiling wrote: »
    Rockshore? You'd be better off paying a quid for the cup and dipping it in the jacks.
    #AnythingIsBetterThanHarp ;)

prawnsambo wrote: »
    #AnythingIsBetterThanHarp ;)

Has a matter of interest how much is a pint in the Aviva during a game (i love abroad so havent been in a while)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

kilns wrote: »
    Has a matter of interest how much is a pint in the Aviva during a game (i love abroad so havent been in a while)
    pint Guinness is 6 and carlsberg is 6.50. First pint is 7 and 7.50 as cup deposit system in place.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭kingofthekong

That welsh team could rip Ireland a new one , this could be a rough one to watch on the weekend - that Ireland team hasn’t been good enough for about a year and it’s pretty much unchanged

• Advertisement

pint Guinness is 6 and carlsberg is 6.50. First pint is 7 and 7.50 as cup deposit system in place.

:eek:

I will stick to the allianz arena for good Paulaner beer at 4 euros a pint

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement