Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XI: Team of nervoUS MOD warning Post 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭kilns

That welsh team could rip Ireland a new one , this could be a rough one to watch on the weekend - that Ireland team hasn’t been good enough for about a year and it’s pretty much unchanged

Wales are missing their 2 best backs so I dont think they will rip Ireland anything, if Davies and Williams were playing I would be much more worried, its going to be a tight game which could go either way

• Registered Users Posts: 3,649 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

kilns wrote: »
    :eek:

I will stick to the allianz arena for good Paulaner beer at 4 euros a pint

You don't get a pint for €4 anywhere in Dublin sadly

• Registered Users Posts: 12,820 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Au contraire my friend. Loads of bars in the city where you will get a pint under €4!!
    Not even mentioning Wetherspoons!!

I wont even mention the free 500 litres of beer for every goal scored by Munich

Now that would be an incentive at the Aviva :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,649 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

mfceiling wrote: »
    Au contraire my friend. Loads of bars in the city where you will get a pint under €4!!
    Not even mentioning Wetherspoons!!

Best to never mention Wetherspoons :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭dub_skav

:eek:

I will stick to the allianz arena for good Paulaner beer at 4 euros a pint

Fairly obstructed view for the rugby though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭randomname2005

prawnsambo wrote: »
    This one's for awec. If he still has his eco-cups from last week, he could come out of Lansdowne quids up. ;)

Delighted this is finally being introduced.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

You see what you want to see.

Exactly my point.

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭eclipsechaser

stephen_n wrote: »
    Exactly my point.

You've miscounted twice and can't acknowledge two objectively better outcomes. There's not much more to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,844 ✭✭✭shootermacg

Can we get some guys running onto the ball this week. It's not even funny anymore. How can coaches condone that type of tripe.

The Irish attack is bad because they don't even bother moving before they get the ball, it's soul destroying to watch.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Can we get some guys running onto the ball this week. It's not even funny anymore. How can coaches condone that type of tripe.

The Irish attack is bad because they don't even bother moving before they get the ball, it's soul destroying to watch.

Not with Murray on the pitch......

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 8,122 ✭✭✭fitz

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Not with Murray on the pitch......

Forwards need to deliver too. Guys can't be running on to it if we're not getting clean quick ball at the ruck. That's on the pack. Murray needs to be quicker to the rucks too, and take less out of the ball before getting the pass away.

The problem with that is you are waiting on your scrumhalf to decide what he is going to do so there is doubt there

Darcy put it well on Second Captains, quick ball is quick ball and as soon as its available it goes, its a simple game, it keeps you moving forward and defences going backwards at the moment Murray waits looks decides and then passes

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

The problem with that is you are waiting on your scrumhalf to decide what he is going to do so there is doubt there

Darcy put it well on Second Captains, quick ball is quick ball and as soon as its available it goes, its a simple game, it keeps you moving forward and defences going backwards at the moment Murray waits looks decides and then passes

Quick ball is a much a function of good cleaning-out of rucks as it is about the decision making of the SH tho.

You even allude to it as much yourself with “...as soon as it’s available...”.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭D.Q

Matt Williams already calling for Farrell to be replaced in The Irish Times today.

Its crazy. Constantly taking it into contact it from a standing start. Every other team seems to take it with some sort of momentum. Very frustrating.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭dub_skav

I think it might be one of those moneyball type deals. Risk of spilling the ball from a standing start is much lower, plus almost guaranteed to not lose much, if any, ground as support players know where you'll be, so little risk.
    Boring to watch and sacrifices any chance of big gains from finding a soft shoulder.

I'd say it was something brought in to use on slow ball to reset and suffered from scope creep

• Registered Users Posts: 4,840 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

D.Q wrote: »
    Matt Williams already calling for Farrell to be replaced in The Irish Times today.

I must say i agree with nearly all of the article - He doesn't call for him to be replaced!
    These bits in particular

"Three months after departing, Joe Schmidt is receiving an unjustifiable amount of blame for the state of the Irish national team."

Andy Farrell and his players have to stop playing the blame game and start taking personal responsibility for the team’s performances. If they did not have the courage to face Joe with their concerns when he was their coach, then they should not take the coward’s path and attack him when he cannot defend himself."

"It is time for these players and the coaches to start looking in the mirror.

The soft skills of team announcements on Tuesdays and playing music at training will not fix this team’s problems. Hard-nosed leadership, tactical knowledge and technical decisions are required."

I am prepared to give Andy Farrell time but the early signs are not positive. He has never been a head coach before and it shows. Rule number one, when at a press conference, know the names of your players.

Farrell must show us he can solve the underlying cause of Ireland’s year-long malaise. That is the alarming lack of aggression displayed by this group of Irish players. Since England defeated them at the Aviva last year, Ireland have not performed with passionate aggression.
    "A lack of aggression is often evidence of players possessing a feeling of “entitlement” to the jersey. A right to be selected rather than earning the selection. It is becoming clear to me that many in this Irish team are in a comfort zone. Despite playing exceptionally poorly for a year, the core of the team continues to be selected."

"Against the Scots, Farrell demanded a return to “old school” forward dominance. He did not get it. The reality was his team were bullied.

The honeymoon is over and the time for excuses is over. Wales are here and they are good. If the Irish players don’t perform against Wales, then new motivated, aggressive players are required."

"From kicks Jordan Larmour ran the ball. That is not counterattack. Ireland’s wingers were lazy and did not get back to assist their fullback. The back three must work as a unit in counterattack."
    Against Scotland we witnessed an offensive system that requires two high-quality passing backs. Without Joey Carbery in the team, Ireland possess only one quality passer in Johnny Sexton. Ireland’s passing interchanges must improve.
    The Ireland scrum coach John Fogarty is a great guy. I like and respect him, but the performance of Ireland’s scrum last week was the worst I have seen in many years. Zander Fagerson, the Scottish tighthead, gave Cian Healy a very hard time. If that happens today, Ireland will be defeated.

Last week there was zero quality backline attack from set play. Mike Catt can’t blame Joe Schmidt for that. Ireland must produce creative backline attacking plays from scrums and lineouts.

The Irish defensive system was narrow and left a lot of space in the wide channels. The Scots got around Ireland several times. Only an Andrew Conway intercept and Stuart Hogg “showboating” and dropping the ball over the try line, saved Ireland.

Ireland’s defensive line speed, lacked aggression. In the last Scottish attack of the day, the Scots carried the ball 65 metres, because the Irish defenders did not go forward with aggression. Only CJ Stander’s heroics, in sticking his head into a very dark place and winning a penalty, halted the Scottish attack.

There are no more excuses. Ignite the passion to perform with superior aggression, or be replaced."
    Not too many alternatives. Prob half the problem

aloooof wrote: »
    Quick ball is a much a function of good cleaning-out of rucks as it is about the decision making of the SH tho.

You even allude to it as much yourself with “...as soon as it’s available...”.

exactly correct and that is where the forwards and back row need to improve on

But there has been clean ball but Murray is too ponderous on it still. Compare Murray to Aaron Smith and the speed the ball moves away from a ruck

Can't stand Matt Williams. Twists whatever narrative into a hyperbolic strawman to easily tear down. "they should not take the coward’s path and attack him when he cannot defend himself." Nobody is attacking Schmidt ffs. There is no cowards path.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,840 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

Can't stand Matt Williams. Twists whatever narrative into a hyperbolic strawman to easily tear down. "they should not take the coward’s path and attack him when he cannot defend himself." Nobody is attacking Schmidt ffs. There is no cowards path.

too strong alright
    i thought some of the comments on Joe by the players were less than gentlemanly

to be fair whatever Matt Williams says should be taken with a pinch of salt now, he is a media hack now who needs a role as a TV pundit

As stated earlier on second captains he even said we had a very balance back row which says all you need to know about him

I must say i agree with nearly all of the article - He doesn't call for him to be replaced!
    These bits in particular

There are no more excuses. Ignite the passion to perform with superior aggression, or be replaced."[/I] Not too many alternatives. Prob half the problem

Not necessarily disagreeing with the main thrust of the article either but the last line seemed alost like he's calling for this saturday to be fix all the issues, or be replaced. Seems a little early to be calling for ultimatums.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭its_phil

Have turned away from OTB, Second Captains and the Last Word because he keeps getting air time.

As Stephen Ferris called him a “bluffer” and said “Matt was the master of appearing to know everything but, as it turned out he didn’t know much”.

Sums it up

You've miscounted twice and can't acknowledge two objectively better outcomes. There's not much more to say.

Objectively in your viewpoint, if they were objectively in the coaches viewpoint, then Cooney would probably be starting. You are working from a confirmation bias. Personally I’d be very happy if Cooney was starting ahead of Murray this week. Though not because he performed better than him last week.

failed coach Matt Williams already calling for Farrell to be replaced in The Irish Times today.

FYP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

stephen_n wrote: »
    FYP

Every coach ends up as "failed".

Doesn't mean they don't have an opinion

Tell that to Warren :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Matty Williams tried to buck that trend by starting out failed. He failed.

• Advertisement

[/CENTER]
    He got the boot from Ireland didn't he?

But he ended a Grand Slam winner

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement