Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XI: Team of nervoUS MOD warning Post 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,061 ✭✭✭OldRio

Watching 'House of Rugby' Good grief anyone know what's the problem that Tindell has with Ireland?
    Bitter twisted little bollox.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,802 ✭✭✭✭bilston

OldRio wrote: »
    Watching 'House of Rugby' Good grief anyone know what's the problem that Tindell has with Ireland?
    Bitter twisted little bollox.

In fairness...he was proved correct at the WC last year.

I haven't watched this episode so not sure what he said. However there are clear signs that our game is developing. Is it going to happen overnight? Of course not, but give it 12 months and we might see something very different.

What more expansive gameplan are people seeing? It's very very basic.

Half of our tries on Saturday were again scored directly through the pack.

Where are the offloads and lads running on a shoulder?

Henshaw was making breaks and half breaks and at every opportunity was looking for the offload on Saturday. That's just one indication that our game has evolved a bit.

I really doubt we'll see any changes to the team after Saturday.

Agreed, it's hard to see any changes. Not sure when Ringrose is due back though.

We'll see a raft of changes against Italy and then come Paris who knows.

I'm happy with that to be honest, there's a 6Ns title to be won here, planning for 2023 and developing players can start in June/July in Australia.

For now our game is developing, the personnel changes will happen naturally.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Our counterattacking game is an obvious development. We saw next to nothing of that when Schmidt was in charge. Larmour has been allowed to play what's in front of him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭typhoony

bilston wrote: »
    Henshaw was making breaks and half breaks and at every opportunity was looking for the offload on Saturday. That's just one indication that our game has evolved a bit.

even though Ringrose is marginally a better centre than Henshaw it's no surprise to me that a fully fit Henshaw playing alongside Bundee is the partnership that works. I'd be a big Ringrose fan but sometimes it's combinations that work best not who is the best player

• Registered Users Posts: 7,380 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Marginally? I seriously rate Henshaw, but Ringrose is on another level. One of the first names, if not the first name, on the teamsheet for me, if he's fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,649 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

Open session in CIT had to be moved to Musgrave park due to flooded pitch (also no longer an open session)

https://www.the42.ie/ireland-open-training-session-cork-5005550-Feb2020/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Listened to Off The Ball with ROG

He was dropping POM and putting on Doris :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,925 ✭✭✭C0N0R

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Listened to Off The Ball with ROG

He was dropping POM and putting on Doris :-)

And ferris was leaving POM on and benching Doris

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

I didn't notice it until today, but ROG seems to say "the beauty of it is..." an awful lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

aloooof wrote: »
    I didn't notice it until today, but ROG seems to say "the beauty of it is..." an awful lot.

Correct.

Buer wrote: »
    Correct.

I see what you did there.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,590 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Buer wrote: »
    Correct.

yeah , thats a very "school teacher" one that he comes out with a lot

Watson ruled out but Tuilagi and Slade potentially available for Ireland game.

https://www.rte.ie/sport/rugby/2020/0213/1115077-englands-watson-ruled-out-of-ireland-clash/

Watson ruled out but Tuilagi and Slade potentially available for Ireland game.

https://www.rte.ie/sport/rugby/2020/0213/1115077-englands-watson-ruled-out-of-ireland-clash/

The 42 podcast said the UK press Tuilagi and Slade would not be available

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    The 42 podcast said the UK press Tuilagi and Slade would not be available

When was that podcast published, I wonder? This is from today:
    Jones has delivered more positive news on centres Manu Tuilagi and Henry Slade with both players potentially being fit to face Ireland.

Tuilagi suffered a groin strain against France but his return to full training is imminent while Slade is close to recovering from the ankle injury he sustained in late December.

"Manu is looking very good. Very promising. He should be in full training by the start of next week," Jones said.

"Henry Slade ran today and we've yet to get a medical report. It's definitely promising but too early to say whether he will be all right for Ireland or not."

When was that podcast published, I wonder? This is from today:

Today, it was one of the guys who said they heard from UK press

Sometimes when you're watching back old games you realise just how much nark there has been out of Sexton over the years.

Here he is in 2011, had just been high tackled / headlocked by Chris Ashton. Slots the resulting three and points at him as soon as it goes over presumably to thank him for the free points. Nearly came to afters!

3i3AQSn.gif

Sometimes when you're watching back old games you realise just how much nark there has been out of Sexton over the years.

Here he is in 2011, had just been high tackled / headlocked by Chris Ashton. Slots the resulting three and points at him as soon as it goes over presumably to thank him for the free points. Nearly came to afters!

3i3AQSn.gif

Shane Williams was on podcast the other day going on about Rog and Phillips who back in the day never shut up all game at each other.....saying stuff about family etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,353 ✭✭✭KaneToad

typhoony wrote: »
    even though Ringrose is marginally a better centre than Henshaw it's no surprise to me that a fully fit Henshaw playing alongside Bundee is the partnership that works. I'd be a big Ringrose fan but sometimes it's combinations that work best not who is the best player

Marginally!

Ringrose is miles better than Henshaw. Robbie is a brilliant player but Garry is on a different level altogether. He's one of our few world class players.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Ringrose's recovery from injury isn'y going as well as hoped and he might miss the rest of the tournament. Huge blow if he doesn't return. We lose a lot him him not in the side.

https://www.the42.ie/garry-ringrose-injury-ireland-six-nations-5006890-Feb2020/

• Registered Users Posts: 11,358 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

James Lowes bit in the Indo today finishes with a suggestion that he’ll be playing international in November.

salmocab wrote: »
    James Lowes bit in the Indo today finishes with a suggestion that he’ll be playing international in November.

He done interview saying when he was approached by Leinster it was to play long term for Ireland. He said in interview about talking to his dad about making the big decision to not play for NZ.....this was at end of last season.....

So the plan was always for him to play

• Registered Users Posts: 10,449 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

salmocab wrote: »

I'd say that's about the most nailed on thing since Jesus took up carpentry.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,358 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

I'd say that's about the most nailed on thing since Jesus took up carpentry.

Ah I know but his family are coming over which I would take to mean he’s spoken to Farrell about it and is confident of being picked.

Some interesting stats RE: ruck arrivals from Round 1, for those that like that sort of thing:

https://twitter.com/SamLStandsUp/status/1228130803898626048

• Registered Users Posts: 13,105 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

That plus one of his other tweets pretty clearly suggest to me anyway that we have decided in general to not get involved in rucks when they have the ball, bar the backrow (and even they aren't doing it that much). So we've more players in the defensive line, and the backrow are waiting for clear opportunities to poach.

That plus one of his other tweets pretty clearly suggest to me anyway that we have decided in general to not get involved in rucks when they have the ball, bar the backrow (and even they aren't doing it that much). So we've more players in the defensive line, and the backrow are waiting for clear opportunities to poach.

I'd be interested to see if vs Round 2, and also the cumulative for both rounds. Rucks is possibly one of few stats where you can get a decent sample size after a game or 2.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,840 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

The new 13 is also having “fun” with teacher and having class outside.
    https://www.the42.ie/keith-earls-andy-farrrell-chilled-classroom-5007917-Feb2020/

This is the same fella telling us all how relaxed he was before the NZ game!
    But is now also talking about the huddle before that game?
    Because that’s what made him drop those passes! Or throw idiotic offloads v Japan after HT when just 3 points ahead and under pressure?

I really would prefer if Earls and the other Irish players just took ownership of their own mistakes and STFU.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement