Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XI: Team of nervoUS MOD warning Post 1

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 277 ✭✭Danthemanhere

Byrne is not up to it.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Byrne is not up to it.

We’ve heard this numerous times and every time he shuts everyone up.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,371 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Sexton hasn't lost his skill, game management or courage. But his body isn't up to it anymore. Too many hits on board. Must be hugely frustrating for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,795 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Who has ignored tearing it up for club?

I'd argue Stuart McCloskey at Ulster but like a few other players like Gilroy, O'Halloran and even Zebo to an extent there was something that Joe didn't like. Maybe Farrell will have different ideas.

We did a move today straight off the top from a lineout and Murray hit Ringrose on a crash ball, and I just thought if you're going to do that have a big man in the midfield like McCloskey or Farrell. But don't use Ringrose.

Faugheen wrote: »
    We’ve heard this numerous times and every time he shuts everyone up.

Not really, he was picked to play against England in the warm ups. He didn't really shut anybody up. In fact, he was so bad he was instantly ruled out for the world cup.

• Advertisement

That is no longer true. On current form Carberry is the better 10.

I don't know about that. Carbery has been injured for most of the WC so who knows what his form is. Sexton was poor today but then he was very good against Samoa.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,420 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Not really, he was picked to play against England in the warm ups. He didn't really shut anybody up. In fact, he was so bad he was instantly ruled out for the world cup.

Jean Kleyn was on the pitch that day and travelled.

If that game is how you judge players then none of them should have gone East

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    Jean Kleyn was on the pitch that day and travelled.

If that game is how you judge players then none of them should have gone East

The poster claimed that Byrne always shuts up the doubters, I was pointing out that his post was incorrect. He had a very bad game against England and ruled himself out of the world cup.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭RugbyLover123

Neither Carberry or Byrne are the answer. Carberry is a lovely player but not a 10. He belongs at 15 imo. I’m one for giving new guys a chance and phasing sexton out, but as another poster here said, Byrne is not an international standard 10 unfortunately. Byrne is more Ian Keatley then Sexton.

Best Ireland can hope for is Harry Byrne to come through as I think he has a more attack minded game then his older brother.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

That is the biggest take from today - that Sexto is done. Great servant to Irish rugby. Terrific at his best. But time waits for no man. It would be a good moment to retire from the international scene for him. Still have a role to play with Leinster for a couple of years, bring on the talent there, and still pick up a couple of medals.
    Good night sweet prince.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

He had no chance against England. When the pack were bullied and defence non-existent.

Again, another player who consistently out-performs his counterparts at the provinces and in Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,906 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

That is the biggest take from today - that Sexto is done. Great servant to Irish rugby. Terrific at his best. But time waits for no man. It would be a good moment to retire from the international scene for him. Still have a role to play with Leinster for a couple of years, bring on the talent there, and still pick up a couple of medals.
    Good night sweet prince.

100%

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭Niallof9

https://twitter.com/VodafoneIreland/status/1185529434905960448

Jaysis

i wish they would stop. You'd swear some of the lads on here are in the Vodafone marketing department

• Registered Users Posts: 68,578 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Niallof9 wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/VodafoneIreland/status/1185529434905960448

Jaysis

i wish they would stop. You'd swear some of the lads on here are in the Vodafone marketing department

I wish some here would 'stop'. There isn't a team of anybody at this level in any sport that doesn't engage in that kind of motivational stuff.

Just ignore it, it isn't done to offend.

Faugheen wrote: »
    He had no chance against England. When the pack were bullied and defence non-existent.

Again, another player who consistently out-performs his counterparts at the provinces and in Europe.

He had chances and he was awful. Did nothing to stem the tide. Club rugby is not the same as international level rugby.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

He's pretty consistently ignored anyone from Connacht and Ulster. Continued to pick Munster backrow forwards over Leinster ones, who've outplayed them year after year.

Connacht player bar Aki have really failed to make the step up, without playing regular HC they have an huge jump to make....just look at some of those player who have moved up to Leinster and failed at taking that step up

TOH etc are just not good enough, I would put Carty in same bracket after this WC....

Stander I would have in my team but at 6, POM I just have never seen why he gets the praise....it’s a huge loss with Heaslip sitting in stand today...

Ulster I don’t know, they have been a mess and again those players have failed to step up, Stockdale was brought in ASAP and Addison, Balacoune was too young

McCloskey was a favourite of mine but really who would you drop if current centres fro him? He is a significant step down from the 4 that flew over

Connacht need to play in HC every year, I don’t care how IRFU do it but it has to happen, their manager mentioned before about taking young Leinster players on 1-2 year contract to get experience and then move back to Leinster, maybe that is the route to take....they seemingly done it in Oz before.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Good night sweet prince.

Who will replace him? Harry Byrne is 2 years away from been a regular

Carbery is a 15
    Ross Byrne seems to be out of contention
    Carty is not good enough...

I don’t see anyone else knocking around In the next 2 years

Connacht player bar Aki have really failed to make the step up, without playing regular HC they have an huge jump to make....just look at some of those player who have moved up to Leinster and failed at taking that step up

TOH etc are just not good enough, I would put Carty in same bracket after this WC....

Stander I would have in my team but at 6, POM I just have never seen why he gets the praise....it’s a huge loss with Heaslip sitting in stand today...

Ulster I don’t know, they have been a mess and again those players have failed to step up, Stockdale was brought in ASAP and Addison, Balacoune was too young

McCloskey was a favourite of mine but really who would you drop if current centres fro him? He is a significant step down from the 4 that flew over

Connacht need to play in HC every year, I don’t care how IRFU do it but it has to happen, their manager mentioned before about taking young Leinster players on 1-2 year contract to get experience and then move back to Leinster, maybe that is the route to take....they seemingly done it in Oz before.....

Your absolute arse McCloskey is a significant step down from the four centres who travelled.

He needs to get a shot. We need to see what he can do. He has a physicality that the others don't have, even Aki and Farrell.

Also Ulster were a mess 18 months ago, but they aren't now. Not that there is a queue of players demanding selection. But McCloskey and eventually Eric O'Sulluvan should be under consideration.

I couldnt agree. We are better served by them playing in the second tier. We dont have enough players to usefully field 4 teams at that level. 3 is sufficient, and will do better for a concentration of resources rather than further dilution into Connacht. Connacht's role is as a back up, holding pattern, for players where there is a logjam at Leinster and better than possible prospects get useful regular game time at their level rather than being lost to foreign contracts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭RugbyLover123

You’d have to imagine the interest from the Connacht neutral will deteriorate if the province essentially comes a nursing ground for young Leinster academy players to learn their trade before being brought back to Leinster.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭Niallof9

bilston wrote: »
    Your absolute arse McCloskey is a significant step down from the four centres who travelled.

He needs to get a shot. We need to see what he can do. He has a physicality that the others don't have, even Aki and Farrell.

Also Ulster were a mess 18 months ago, but they aren't now. Not that there is a queue of players demanding selection. But McCloskey and eventually Eric O'Sulluvan should be under consideration.

Yeah but can we forgive him for that dropped offload v England? Joe obviously never did!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Do we think that there will be any surprise retirements from international? Would say a few of the older heads, beyond Best, will be considering their future. Have a sneaking suspicion that Healy might bow out earlier than most.

Do we think that there will be any surprise retirements from international? Would say a few of the older heads, beyond Best, will be considering their future. Have a sneaking suspicion that Healy might bow out earlier than most.

Sexto needs a word in his ear from the men in the smoke filled rooms.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭baas baa

McCloskey ticks all the boxes of what you would want from a 12 but I've always felt there was some intangible missing from him for test rugby and I think Schmidt must've thought the same. I think we need a change of tack from the approach we have now though. Someone like Henshaw ticks all the boxes in terms of character you could want but I think the Lions tour showed him to be an ultimately limited rugby player. Maybe we need to back the players with the physical and technical tools to succeed and hope they grow into test rugby. There are a lot of players in this Irish side with limited skill levels for test rugby and though they've had fine careers when it comes to the pinnacle of the game like today they come up disastrously short.

Sexto needs a word in his ear from the men in the smoke filled rooms.

I would agree. His age and injury profile means he has to be wrapped in cotton wool unfortunately.

Healy has been about a long time, he's still our best LH. But it's a position where I can see the logic in nurturing a younger option.

We'll see what happens. Ultimately the players will get a week or two off, then they'll go back and play European rugby and ultimately that's where we can start speculating on form players etc.

Who has started the season well at the four provinces? To be honest I haven't watched anyone other than Ulster so far, bar the last 20 mins of the Cheetahs v Munster game.

For Ulster, Billy Burns and Luke Marshall have started the season very well. What about the other provinces?

I would agree. His age and injury profile means he has to be wrapped in cotton wool unfortunately.

The almost unspeakable truth is that he just isnt really that good any more. Out limited player pool means we do tend to flog players to the bitter end, and are dazzled by the previous level, as if once great, always great. Stronger teams would have ditched him at this stage.

baas baa wrote: »
    McCloskey ticks all the boxes of what you would want from a 12 but I've always felt there was some intangible missing from him for test rugby and I think Schmidt must've thought the same.

You might be right about McCloskey, but my point is, give him a run in the side. He hasn't really had a shot. Where do we tour next June? In my head I'm thinking Argentina. Wherever it is give someone like McCloskey three tests, give Ruddock a run of tests, maybe Tadgh Beirne, but that is the time to do it.

Sure we can stick with the tried and trusted while everyone else is experimenting and we might win a title and get a few big scalps, but come 2023 we will be in the same position we are now.

Joe tried his best to develop a squad, but again we all knew our starting XV weeks ago, bar maybe one centre position. If you look at England and NZ and you'd probably have some doubt about some positions on both teams week to week.

We have a deeper squad than we used to, but we've still some way to go.

It will be interesting to see who takes over as Captain.

O'Mahony will probably be favourite, but personally I'd have Ruddock in the side at the minute. Sexton has enough to worry about without being skipper. It might well be Ryan, unless there is a surprise option.

Of course if Ruddock plays he could be an option, but given he would always be looking over his shoulder it would be a risky call.

• Advertisement

The almost unspeakable truth is that he just isnt really that good any more. Out limited player pool means we do tend to flog players to the bitter end, and are dazzled by the previous level, as if once great, always great. Stronger teams would have ditched him at this stage.

I don't blame Schmidt for not ditching him and Murrat at this WC. The whole build up was contingent on them having their form from last year, where they were top of the world in their positions. But 18 months between the GS and the WC is a long time for a man of Sexton's age and injury profile. The mind is willing but the body not so much

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement