Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XI: Team of nervoUS MOD warning Post 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭THFC198

prawnsambo wrote: »
    They don't appear to be calling anyone up. They'd be doing it now if they intended to.

Do you think? Usually in the fallow weeks the squad is smaller with an updated squad in the week before the match. I would have thought they’d wait till after this weekends pro14 for a player to be called up. Risky enough going into a match week with only 2 looseheads but I suppose porter covers

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

THFC198 wrote: »
    Do you think? Usually in the fallow weeks the squad is smaller with an updated squad in the week before the match. I would have thought they’d wait till after this weekends pro14 for a player to be called up. Risky enough going into a match week with only 2 looseheads but I suppose porter covers
    I would have thought that time was of the essence when adding an extra player to the squad. And there's always the danger that the earmarked replacement gets injured in a Pro14 game. They have sent some players back to the provinces and reduced down to 28 like they did last time, so they could indeed be waiting until they're all back together.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,681 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

They'll probably just keep the squad as is and use Porter as third choice cover in case of injury like at the world cup. They've retained O'Toole as part of the squad as 3rd TH.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

Tellingly, the players not released are the 23 from last week and Ulster players, whose Benetton game has been cancelled.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

aloooof wrote: »
    Or poster rating?
    Buer: 0/10

;)

Remember when everyone used to think aloooof was really sound?

Nope, neither do I!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

THFC198 wrote: »
    Obviously hate to see a player out injured, but I’m excited to see Kilcoyne/McGrath step up. Wonder who, if any, would be called up as a replacement

I'd be happy to look to the future but I'd struggle to get too excited about a 31 year old and a 30 year old coming into the fold. Kilcoyne didn't exactly set the world alight in his hour or so at the weekend and McGrath simply isn't a patch on the player he was 3-4 years ago. If someone like Eric O'Sullivan was in the mix, then I'd be a lot more interested.

It's a shame for Healy who was set to reach 100 caps this tournament. Hopefully he gets back and reaches full fitness. At 33 this autumn, he probably doesn't have that long left given his injury record and style of play.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭THFC198

Buer wrote: »
    I'd be happy to look to the future but I'd struggle to get too excited about a 31 year old and a 30 year old coming into the fold. Kilcoyne didn't exactly set the world alight in his hour or so at the weekend and McGrath simply isn't a patch on the player he was 3-4 years ago. If someone like Eric O'Sullivan was in the mix, then I'd be a lot more interested.

It's a shame for Healy who was set to reach 100 caps this tournament. Hopefully he gets back and reaches full fitness. At 33 this autumn, he probably doesn't have that long left given his injury record and style of play.

Obviously the age range isn’t ideal but I think it’s the best we’ve got, limited people I could see being called up

• Registered Users Posts: 4,492 ✭✭✭swiwi_

Buer wrote: »
    Remember when everyone used to think aloooof was really sound?

Nope, neither do I!

Always found him a bit standoffish myself

• Registered Users Posts: 24,070 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

James Lowe on Matt Cooper there, speaking about his rheumatoid arthritis condition.

When asked if he will "join up" with Ireland when he becomes eligible in November he replied, "if they want me to play, I'll put my hand up".

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Kevski

Simon Harris just announced on the news the the Dept. of Health has decided that the Ireland v Italy game shouldn’t go ahead. Wonder what happens now...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭Banner2theend

Breaking news this evening and Minister of Health Simon Harris has confirmed to RTE news that he will contact the irfu to tell them that the Ireland v Italy match should be CALLED OFF.

Larbre34 wrote: »
    James Lowe on Matt Cooper there, speaking about his rheumatoid arthritis condition.

When asked if he will "join up" with Ireland when he becomes eligible in November he replied, "if they want me to play, I'll put my hand up".

Modern medicine is great! To think despite his RA he can still put his hand up :)

It's the right decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Kevski wrote: »
    Simon Harris just announced on the news the the Dept. of Health has decided that the Ireland v Italy game shouldn’t go ahead. Wonder what happens now...

Hopefully he never becomes a minister for anything ever again.

The match will be cancelled, unless they get to move the Italian team to quarantine now and leave them there until the game, and make sure nobody flys from Italy to Ireland for the foreseeable future.

Even then if there is a case in Ireland any large gathering will have to be cancelled.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,070 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

It's the right decision.

Agree. Hugely regrettable (and by the way the Pro14 and Champions Cup are unlikely to be completed this season now) but its the right decision.

Euro 2020, the Olympics, and all public gatherings like St Patricks festival, gigs, Cheltenham, Aintree are now less than 50/50 I would think. Awful mess.

On the bright side, at least Italy don't finish the 6N with 5 losses and nul points.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Hopefully he never becomes a minister for anything ever again.

The match will be cancelled, unless they get to move the Italian team to quarantine now and leave them there until the game, and make sure nobody flys from Italy to Ireland for the foreseeable future.

Even then if there is a case in Ireland any large gathering will have to be cancelled.

So you essentially agree with the decision yet have a pop at Harris anyway?

I honestly don’t get some people here. Whatever you’re having yourself I suppose.

Cancelling the game is absolutely the right decision. The situation has escalated beyond anything I’ve seen before.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

The number of cases still very low. No harm being cautious but think this strays into ultra cautious territory. Not saying its wrong but does that mean anyone from affected countries shouldn't be allowed into Ireland? Will they prevent Italian fans from travelling to Ireland anyway if match is called off?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

Not the only large crowd event they are looking at.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭Happy4all

Play and no fans allowed to travel should be s. Option

• Advertisement

Eod100 wrote: »
    The number of cases still very low. No harm being cautious but think this strays into ultra cautious territory. Not saying its wrong but does that mean anyone from affected countries shouldn't be allowed into Ireland? Will they prevent Italian fans from travelling to Ireland anyway if match is called off?

I think the initial approach will be very heavy handed in an effort to prevent the spread, but looking at projections I think the horse may have bolted.

Real chance now that we see a bit of a travel lock down over the next 8 weeks in Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,264 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

I think the initial approach will be very heavy handed in an effort to prevent the spread, but looking at projections I think the horse may have bolted.

Real chance now that we see a bit of a travel lock down over the next 8 weeks in Europe.

I highly doubt we'll see a travel lockdown.
    This decision makes sense, spike in cases in Italy so they dont want mass travel from there, that adds up.

It's been said time and time again though, there are more cases of flu each year and more deaths from flu.

People will have to take some extra precautions but I dont see a scenario where lockdowns on a large scale take place. If they can contain it where it pops up then that's half the battle.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,461 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Eod100 wrote: »
    The number of cases still very low. No harm being cautious but think this strays into ultra cautious territory.

Look at how it spread in China. Surely the responsible thing for health authorities is to assume it will follow a similar path elsewhere if 'heavy-handed' preventive measures aren't taken...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,069 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Play the match behind closed doors, as the Italians are doing for the Serie A games being played in the North of Italy this weekend and Inter are doing on Thursday in the Europe League.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

I would expect the Italy match will be cancelled

The whole tournament as well if things continue as is

Wonder what postponing means when its second last match. Played as a dead rubber in Autumn? Already have 3 games in November.

Look at how it spread in China. Surely the responsible thing for health authorities is to assume it will follow a similar path elsewhere if 'heavy-handed' preventive measures aren't taken...

Like I said in next sentence. Doesn't make it a wrong decision. Hes the health Minister tbf has access to expertise and dont think they would do it on a whim. Close proximity of fans in one space probably not ideal in terms of spreading it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭Banner2theend

Does anyone know whether the Ireland v Italy U20 and women's rugby matches will also be cancelled. Personally I'm getting really concerned about the coronavirus. It's considerably bigger than foot and mouth and if the likes of the Cheltenham and Aintree racing festivals were to be called off along with Paddys day celebrations, not just Dublin only, along with other major sporting and other festivals of large gatherings, I for one would support this move, if it does help to curtail this most disturbing disease.

And I feel we are quite sometime off this disease reaching its peak yet. Worrying times indeed. Public health is of most importance. That is of far more significance than any sporting event. The risks involved with events of large gatherings when you have such a global health crisis like what the world is currently experiencing are massive. Finally fair play to the Dept of Health and Minister Harris on making the call on the rugby quite early.

To repeat this decision to postpone the Ireland v Italy rugby match is 1000% plus the correct and right decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,931 ✭✭✭jacothelad

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Agree. Hugely regrettable (and by the way the Pro14 and Champions Cup are unlikely to be completed this season now) but its the right decision.

Euro 2020, the Olympics, and all public gatherings like St Patricks festival, gigs, Cheltenham, Aintree are now less than 50/50 I would think. Awful mess.

Yes. Every effort must be made to stay this disease until a vaccination becomes available......possibly by the end of the year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

It's been said time and time again though, there are more cases of flu each year and more deaths from flu.

The % of deaths from the regular seasonal flu is very low. 0.1% of cases or something like that.

Death rate at the moment in China for example is 2% with Corona. Mightn't seem like that much more, but for pandemic type stuff that is a massive increase.

SARS for example was 9.6% - that was a crazy one.

When they have better data as time goes on, that % may go down, (i.e. cases not yet reported that didn't result in death).

As for now, no point messing around with it. Probably the correct decision.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement