Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XI: Team of nervoUS MOD warning Post 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Maybe a switch to fullback would keep him out of the heavy traffic a bit.

True! I think that's his best position anyway. He is an instinctual player and an athlete, but I am not convinced by him at 10.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,635 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Burkie1203 wrote: »

South Korea had the same number of infected as England a week ago and have thousands now.

I'm resigned to the likelihood that rugby is done for the season.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭TheAnalyst_

Seems like it’s going to spread regardless. Kind of sick hearing about it and it only really kills very old people.
    I’d keep all events going.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Seems like it’s going to spread regardless. Kind of sick hearing about it and it only really kills very old people.

Fabulous attitude to have.

You'll be fine without rugby/pro sport for a few months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,679 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Anybody with an autoimmune disorder or respiratory issues are at risk as well but sure look, sports is more important.

Anybody with an autoimmune disorder or respiratory issues are at risk as well but sure look, sports is more important.

Shut the world down then. I'll take my chances otherwise.

I don't think I'll ever fully get over what an unbelievable bad ass you are.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

You can add heart disease to that list, something we have one of the highest rates in Europe for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Oh your a hard man :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭jammiedodgers

hhmiFaj.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,059 ✭✭✭OldRio

Thought of something to write. Thought better of it.

haha @jammiedodgers

I just hate hysteria particulary when it affects my life. The actual death rate now is thought to be 0.5% in western countries and could be a lot less when the actual number of affected is known. The death rate for below 50s then is miniscule.

But yeah make sure you all stock up on 6 months of toilet paper and stay indoors for a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,931 ✭✭✭jacothelad

I don't think I'll ever fully get over what an unbelievable bad ass you are.

That's very unfair and a dreadful insult to real bad asses.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

This is even worse than the POM debate...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,649 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

haha @jammiedodgers

I just hate hysteria particulary when it affects my life. The actual death rate now is thought to be 0.5% in western countries and could be a lot less when the actual number of affected is known. The death rate for below 50s then is miniscule.

But yeah make sure you all stock up on 6 months of toilet paper and stay indoors for a year.

There is undoubtedly hysteria surrounding this situation. The media as a whole have been extremely irresponsible in their battle for visibility here I think and are not presenting an accurate argument in an effort to get eyes on their articles.

However. The undeniable fact is this transmits extremely quickly and we still aren't exactly sure of the ins and outs of it.

It can still be a fatal illness. Are we not duty bound as a society to try and minimise that risk to others? Or do you just want vulnerable people to fend for themselves?

I am a perfectly healthy adult in the 25-40 range. The chances of this virus killing me are extremely slim. But I have a family member with Lupus. This would likely be a serious problem for them. Ditto another person close to me (and younger) who has a bad history of respiratory problems and has had severe bouts of pneumonia in the past.

These people could easily get hit by a bus tomorrow. But they mitigate that risk by not walking on the road without looking. How is taking precautions against this virus any different?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

As someone with a compromised immune system, and on behalf of very old people, I thank you for your community spirit and concern for other's lives. And on that note, don't post in this forum on the corona virus topic again.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,611 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

My favourite sentence for about the last two weeks now has been....

"Yeah, it is only a little worse than common flu, and if we had the opportunity we would move mountains to eliminate the common flu. We can't destroy common flu, but maybe we can destroy Coronavirus"

Side note.

I suspect history will look upon China's actions in January and February comparatively with how we now view the Soviet Union reacted after Chernobyl. They implemented draconian measures that would be completely impossible in a liberal democracy. They mobilised industry in a way that is unavailable to us. And they (effectively) sacrificed human lives by throwing medical professionals into harm's way. When our government considers canceling St Patrick's day they should remember that China canceled New Year.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,004 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

I have to admit that I view the coronavirus through very selfish eyes. My initial concern is how it will effect ME. I don't want sports events and concerts cancelled or postponed because that's MY entertainment. And I'll be pissed if my holidays get disrupted. I know this is a selfish view but in my mind it's all very abstract and the numbers of infected and dying are just numbers. I know I have an issue with empathy and compassion.

Luckily my wife more than makes up for my failings and my selfishness. Obviously when I think about it (and when it's been pointed out to me) it could be fatal to my parents and her's and to friends and family who have other health problems etc.

My natural instinct is to be a selfish prick and for it to not disrupt my (cushy) life. The logical side me of me understands that everything possible should be done to prevent the spread of it.

Hope I explained that alright.

The logical side me of me understands that everything possible should be done to prevent the spread of it.
    So you agree with closing the airports then and banning public gatherings?

PS. Not sure why I'm being targetted here when others are allowed to have their say. Just because you don't agree with me Zzippy?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,802 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Define very old people.

Are there any "very old people" in your life?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Paris marathon in early April postponed until October. Can't see the France v Ireland games going ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,802 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Paris marathon in early April postponed until October. Can't see the France v Ireland games going ahead.

The rugby season looks set to be a busted flush.

When the UK moves to the next stage of its fight against the virus (and it seems to be on the brink of going to Stage 2 (delay)) then I think we will see sporting events there cancelled, which from a rugby POV will mean the European Cup and Pro 14.

This could be financially devastating for the sport.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Postponed until two weeks before the stupid Dublin Marathon. Bastards. :mad:

I think people are far less likely to travel to Paris for a cancelled marathon than they are for a cancelled rugby match. But yeah, I expect it will be offered to go ahead behind closed doors and the 6N would prefer to postpone.

Podge_irl wrote: »
    Postponed until two weeks before the stupid Dublin Marathon. Bastards. :mad:

I think people are far less likely to travel to Paris for a cancelled marathon than they are for a cancelled rugby match. But yeah, I expect it will be offered to go ahead behind closed doors and the 6N would prefer to postpone.

2 friends have booked a weeks holiday to do the marathon arriving the day before with partners. They are still going. Its only holiday they have planned for 2020.

Dragons v Benetton is on tonight. Wonder will the Italian sides continue to travel in pro14.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

2 friends have booked a weeks holiday to do the marathon arriving the day before with partners. They are still going. Its only holiday they have planned for 2020.

Dragons v Benetton is on tonight. Wonder will the Italian sides continue to travel in pro14.

There will still be plenty I'm sure, but I'm at least not bothering to go now whereas if I had planned to be there for the match I still would. So this is wildly anecdotal.

Anyone I know have cancelled all trips, holidays or whateve......our company like many more have shut down now all trips and if doing customer meeting to push to do electronically

People complaining about cancelling a match but not cancelling all flights, you can imagine the up roar from people if they can’t travel, even if it isn’t safe....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,067 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Anyone I know have cancelled all trips, holidays or whateve......our company like many more have shut down now all trips and if doing customer meeting to push to do electronically

People complaining about cancelling a match but not cancelling all flights, you can imagine the up roar from people if they can’t travel, even if it isn’t safe....

I never surprised by the stupidity of the human race

It's mostly because people have sunk a wile load of cash and the like into the trip though. And it's Paris that they'll end up in anyway so it's not exactly the worst place in the world to be (Covid-19 notwithstanding).

If they're cancelling I wish they'd cancel it now so we can try get the cash back from insurance companies and airlines etc. I can't imagine I'm not the only one. Leaving it to next Wednesday to decide is pointless at this stage the way the cases are multiplying.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement