Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XI: Team of nervoUS MOD warning Post 1

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

prawnsambo wrote: »
    I think the difficulty for players like Stockdale is that they are unknown quantities to oppositions for a while and then they learn more about how he plays and exploit his weaknesses and don't play to (or negate) his strengths. He's young enough to round out his game and become a more complete player.

BOD mentioned this a few times on podcasts. Also he doesn't seem as interested in defending as attacking. He has to learn to have the same appetite for both. BOD words

I am not sure about constantly playing him at international level. It might be better to move him to bench, give Earls/Conway a bash and bring on Stockdale with 20 mins left etc when he could exploit. He does cover at least wing and FB,.......I wouldn't be dropping him out of match day squad

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Richie_Rich89

Lowe and Stockdale is two high level options on the left wing, and Baloucoune looks very promising for the 14 jumper. Full back is where the real problem is. Larmour doesn't convince at 15, and Addison is always injured. Maybe Keenan or Frawley, or even Jack Kelly with the 7s would be worth having a look at. It'll be interesting to see how this Gallagher guy goes at Munster as well. Will he take Haley's shirt? Haley's a nice player going forward, and a solid defender, but maybe isn't the most commanding in the air right at the top level of European rugby.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

I love the way people who were demanding for Larmour to play 15 against the All Blacks are now calling for him to be dropped.

Complete arse-clenched panic as always. Larmour’s been fine at 15.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,589 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Faugheen wrote: »
    I love the way people who were demanding for Larmour to play 15 against the All Blacks are now calling for him to be dropped.

Better than fine.... hes been very good this season in both blue and green

Faugheen wrote: »

Is this aimed at me?

I don't think I was ever calling for Larmour to replace Kearney. He doesn't convince me at all against the very best opposition. The guy's a winger - and specifically a left winger. He'd be a defensive liability on the right wing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,358 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Now if he could just change his surname to O Brien then he’d be some player.

I can see Saracens specifically targeting Larmour like they did Matt Banahan in the Premiership final in 2015 and Mike Haley in the Euro semi last season.

Lowe and Stockdale is two high level options on the left wing, and Baloucoune looks very promising for the 14 jumper. Full back is where the real problem is. Larmour doesn't convince at 15, and Addison is always injured. Maybe Keenan or Frawley, or even Jack Kelly with the 7s would be worth having a look at. It'll be interesting to see how this Gallagher guy goes at Munster as well. Will he take Haley's shirt? Haley's a nice player going forward, and a solid defender, but maybe isn't the most commanding in the air right at the top level of European rugby.

Larmour has played 3 games in a row at FB for Ireland.....bit early to be writing him off

Especially when the game against Scotland and Wales he was one of th ebst players on the pitch. Plus he was hardly a disaster against England, he didn't mark one kick which was an error but then again I will say, it was his 3rd game in a row.....

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Larmour has played 3 games in a row at FB for Ireland.....bit early to be writing him off

Especially when the game against Scotland and Wales he was one of th ebst players on the pitch. Plus he was hardly a disaster against England, he didn't mark one kick which was an error but then again I will say, it was his 3rd game in a row.....

I'm hardly writing him off. I'm just not convinced he's the kind of commanding presence you need at fullback.

I think he could be a very dangerous, Jason Robinson-style left winger. But there's not much space for that at Leinster or Ireland, I suppose.

I'm hardly writing him off. I'm just not convinced he's the kind of commanding presence you need at fullback.

I think he could be a very dangerous, Jason Robinson-style left winger. But there's not much space for that at Leinster or Ireland, I suppose.

No space at all.......:P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

Dominant tackle stats for the 6Ns make for interesting reading (https://mobile.twitter.com/rpetty80/status/1237429834583810049/photo/1).

Apparently 19% dominant tackles is the benchmark to be considered world class, James Ryan is the only Irish player hitting that marker. Our back row making 10,8, and 7 percent dominant tackles respectively is a concern.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

Where does the 19% figure come from?

Where does the 19% figure come from?

A friend of mine who is a pro player.

Dominant tackle stats for the 6Ns make for interesting reading (https://mobile.twitter.com/rpetty80/status/1237429834583810049/photo/1).

Apparently 19% dominant tackles is the benchmark to be considered world class, James Ryan is the only Irish player hitting that marker. Our back row making 10,8, and 7 percent dominant tackles respectively is a concern.

It'd be interesting to see dominant tackle stats for backrowers around the provinces. Will Connors is someone who makes dominant tackles.

Interesting that Henderson has the second highest percentage of dominant tackles after Ryan, and the second highest number of tackles per minute after CJ. I was under the impression he just ambled about doing nothing.

It'd be interesting to see dominant tackle stats for backrowers around the provinces. Will Connors is someone who makes dominant tackles.

Someone in the replies there tweeted a comparison between the English back row and the Irish, and it's frankly humiliating.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Someone in the replies there tweeted a comparison between the English back row and the Irish, and it's frankly humiliating.

I'm surprised to see Stander feature so lowly but there it is. On a par with George Ford for dominant tackles. VDF isn't much better at all either. He can't be happy with his tournament to date and, if there was another strong option at openside right now, he'd have to be concerned regardless of how well he was playing for Leinster.

Best stat has to be the 12 stone 11 pounds Antoine Dupont being 10th on the overall list.

• Administrators Posts: 53,813 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

This sounds like nonsense tbh.

"World class" is such a nothing term, and why did they decide on 19% rather than 20% or 21%?

Do we really think that there are coaches out there, talking to players, telling them that they need to be making a dominant tackle 19% of the time?

Is anyone surprised?

12 months ago the rest of the rugby world realized the Irish back row was a significant weakness, today its the same back row

I think it will take at least 3-4 more hammering form England before some fans will realize that POM/VDF/Standar is not a good back row combination

• Registered Users Posts: 4,768 ✭✭✭P.Walnuts

We miss Leavy so much.

• Advertisement

P.Walnuts wrote: »
    We miss Leavy so much.

Leavy is one player.

We have plenty of options dotted around the four provinces, its embrassing at this stage we continue to rollout the same backrow which is getting its ass handed to it everytime they come up against top opposition.......

If we had no options you could maybe excuse it but we have loads of options,

awec wrote: »

"World class" is such a nothing term, and why did they decide on 19% rather than 20% or 21%?

Do we really think that there are coaches out there, talking to players, telling them that they need to be making a dominant tackle 19% of the time?

I agree, sounded like someone came up with a number to prove a point.

If a player is at 18% does that mean they are not World class?

A friend of mine who plays professionally mentioned it in passing, I’ll get him to elaborate next time I’m talking to him.

A friend of mine who plays professionally mentioned it in passing, I’ll get him to elaborate next time I’m talking to him.

Tell him he knows nothing about rugby while you're at it

Of course players have benchmarks to hit.

Of course players have benchmarks to hit.

What happens if they all hit 19%? Do they all move into World Class bracket and get a pay rise?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭randomname2005

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    What happens if they all hit 19%? Do they all move into World Class bracket and get a pay rise?

Then the statistics they probably used will be adjusted in time and the number will increase. I would imagine if the 19% is a real number they looked at the average percentage of dominant tackles made by players and took the top 1%, 2%, or 5% and use that.

Or it is a case of something, something, statistics!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,635 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

IRFU statement at 2pm

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    IRFU statement at 2pm

Meeting at 2, statement to follow. GAA already suspended all training and games, expect same for rugby.

• Advertisement

Then the statistics they probably used will be adjusted in time and the number will increase. I would imagine if the 19% is a real number they looked at the average percentage of dominant tackles made by players and took the top 1%, 2%, or 5% and use that.

Or it is a case of something, something, statistics!

In other words

Pick a number, any number :p

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement