Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XI: Team of nervoUS MOD warning Post 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Richie_Rich89

I wonder how many Irish will make the Lions squad next year.

Possible squad:

looseheads: Vunipola, Marler, Jones
    hookers: George, Kelleher, Cowan-Dickie
    tightheads: Furlong, Porter, Sinckler
    locks: Itoje, Ryan, Jones, Lawes, Baird
    blindsides: Curry, Stander
    opensides: Tipuric, Underhill, Leavy
    no. 8s: Vunipola, Doris, Navidi
    scrumhalves: Davies, Williams, Youngs
    outhalves: Farrell, Ford, Anscombe
    centres: Davies, Tuilagi, Parkes, Ringrose
    wings: May, Adams, Watson, Stockdale
    fullbacks: Williams, Daly

Blindside looks weak. There's no-one close to matching up with PSdT. There's also a bit of a lack of quality options at inside centre - especially if Farrell plays at fly-half. I suppose Aki could be in the mix for a spot there. Larmour would be in the mix as well for a back three spot. He'd be dangerous on the hard grounds in SA, but it's pretty stiff competition.

Interesting to think who might be unavailable for Ireland's 2021 Summer tour anyway. Anyone know where they're going?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Possible squad:

Blindside looks weak. There's no-one close to matching up with PSdT. There's also a bit of a lack of quality options at inside centre - especially if Farrell plays at fly-half. I suppose Aki could be in the mix for a spot there. Larmour would be in the mix as well for a back three spot. He'd be dangerous on the hard grounds in SA, but it's pretty stiff competition.

Interesting to think who might be unavailable for Ireland's 2021 Summer tour anyway. Anyone know where they're going?

The fewer the better based on how this season is working out

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Kevski

I’d have James Lowe in the mix too

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Shefwedfan wrote: »

The fewer in the squad the worse a 20-21 season we will have had.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,679 ✭✭✭clsmooth

Possible squad:

Not sure the Scots would be too happy with that squad :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,931 ✭✭✭jacothelad

clsmooth wrote: »

Well Kelleher, Baird, Stockdale, Porter, Leavy and Doris won't be on the tour so maybe a Scot will get one of their spots.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,802 ✭✭✭✭bilston

They never are!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Baird! He's not even played in Europe. The way things stand,a lot of our squad wouldn't even be close to selection.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Richie_Rich89

Dubinusa wrote: »
    Baird! He's not even played in Europe. The way things stand,a lot of our squad wouldn't even be close to selection.

There could be an opening in the second row for someone if Kruis is out of contention because he's in Japan.

Where was BOD 16 months before his hat-trick in Paris? Or Stockdale 16 months before breaking the 6N try record?

I suppose Hogg would get in ahead of Daly. Forgot him. Maybe a few others, like McInally and Russell, would be in contention. Duncan Taylor's a good player as well, if he can stay fit.

Forgot North as well. He looked good against England. Very dynamic in contact.

I suppose it depends on how you look at it. Is it a burden, or is it an opportunity for Irish players to get better? Welsh players have RWC semi experience, and England players have the experience of playing in a RWC Final. A three-Test series against the world champs is an opportunity for Irish players to pick up valuable high-level experience.
    Kevski wrote: »
    I’d have James Lowe in the mix too

I guess it could be either/or between Stockdale and Lowe, depending on who's starting for Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,635 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

• Advertisement

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

From a player welfare pov that's a good thing.

First game of the season was 10 Aug and the last test on that tour is 11 Jul. Considering the players would have been in camp for a few weeks before that test it means the season would have been a year long for some. That's just too long.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,069 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

It's not 10-15%, it's 10-50% reduction starting in April. The players as the highest earners are to take the largest reductions.

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Rockbeast2

In related news, Rory McIlroy has not indicated that he will be reducing the salaries of any of the Ulster squad.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,611 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

It's not 10-15%, it's 10-50% reduction starting in April. The players as the highest earners are to take the largest reductions.

If they all signed up to it I salute them. 5 close friends have been laid off this week, everything from the service industry to significant professionals who just happened to be new in a job and falling foul of cost cutting measures.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

It's a deferral not a reduction. They'll still get paid it as things stand if they finish the season.

It's a deferral not a reduction. They'll still get paid it as things stand if they finish the season.

How is this defferal going to work? Where is the money going to come from in the future?

How is this defferal going to work? Where is the money going to come from in the future?

I would expect, if the games get played in the future and the IRFU makes back the money then the player do as well

If the games dont get paid then maybe the players dont. It would seem, reading between the lines, a pay as you play type deal.

Its far better than the PRL. They have players talking about going on strike and the clubs maybe selling off cheap to CVC to keep the whole thing afloat. I couldn't be happier for them

• Registered Users Posts: 11,358 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

It must be based on getting games played, presumably if there’s no more then STH will have to get something back but if games get played they don’t. Must be similar with sponsors and tv.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,679 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

NSW have gone into a 90 day lockdown with the order in place until the 29th of June. Queensland have gone with a similar set of lockdown rules but no date put on theirs, and the borders been closed off.

It's looking highly unlikely that the summer tour will go ahead.

NSW have gone into a 90 day lockdown with the order in place until the 29th of June. Queensland have gone with a similar set of lockdown rules but no date put on theirs, and the borders been closed off.

It's looking highly unlikely that the summer tour will go ahead.

The NRL are looking at bringing all players to one isolated location, sealing it off and playing the games behind closed doors in a few different venues in queensland.

Aussie tour is done. International travel will drop by a huge amount for the next few years at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,611 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    The NRL are looking at bringing all players to one isolated location, sealing it off and playing the games behind closed doors in a few different venues in queensland.

Aussie tour is done. International travel will drop by a huge amount for the next few years at least.

As much as I want to see rugby again I think that simplifies the issue. It's not just about the crowd in the stadium or whatever. It is also about people getting together to watch it at home etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,679 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

errlloyd wrote: »
    As much as I want to see rugby again I think that simplifies the issue. It's not just about the crowd in the stadium or whatever. It is also about people getting together to watch it at home etc.

Even from a logistical standpoint it isn't really feasible, they'd have to look at creating some sort of sealed off village with the players and staff all quarantined, no visitors allowed and no leaving unless it's on buses to training etc. And even then all it takes is one potential case for it to spread like wildfire across the place like in nursing homes etc.

Talk of all summer tours happening in October now

• Registered Users Posts: 19,067 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Talk of all summer tours happening in October now

They can jump.

There's actual competitions to finish. The summer tours are almost the last thing we need to care about. Well, good thing I'm not a Kiwi or Aussie though!

They can jump.

There's actual competitions to finish. The summer tours are almost the last thing we need to care about. Well, good thing I'm not a Kiwi or Aussie though!

SH sides will want tours because it's revenue

They can jump.

Aus rugby would make a fortune from Ireland travelling......they will want to push ahead

• Registered Users Posts: 11,358 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

I said before I think next season will start early to give extra weeks for things like this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,067 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

SH sides will want tours because it's revenue

Of course. That was implied by my "good thing I'm not kiwi or Aussie" comment.
    Aus rugby would make a fortune from Ireland travelling......they will want to push ahead

They would, but can you see many of us heading over at the minute? I'm just hopeful I can make it to Paris in October at this rate.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement