Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XI: Team of nervoUS MOD warning Post 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38,363 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

I can't recall much of that 2012 series tbh . The buzz of Chicago 2016 and Dublin 2018 would of been much different if we got something that year

• Registered Users Posts: 3,679 ✭✭✭clsmooth

PTH2009 wrote: »
    I can't recall much of that 2012 series tbh . The buzz of Chicago 2016 and Dublin 2018 would of been much different if we got something that year

A glass half full take on having the opportunity to beat the AB in NZ :D the scrum we got penalised for for crabbing across was the real kicker. Would have been a chance for Sexton to put us in the lead. Would have been a tricky kick mind you

clsmooth wrote: »
    A glass half full take on having the opportunity to beat the AB in NZ :D the scrum we got penalised for for crabbing across was the real kicker. Would have been a chance for Sexton to put us in the lead. Would have been a tricky kick mind you

Sexton and crucial kicks against the All Blacks

Where have I heard that before?

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Nobody can match PTH to cheer up a forum during a pandemic.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Don't forget to stop at 75 for anyone watching this now.. :P https://twitter.com/IrishRugby/status/1263564119204139009

• Advertisement

Eod100 wrote: »
    Don't forget to stop at 75 for anyone watching this now.. :P https://twitter.com/IrishRugby/status/1263564119204139009

Ah yeah the 75 min rugby match

Game got abandoned

• Registered Users Posts: 4,808 ✭✭✭b.gud

Ah yeah the 75 min rugby match

Game got abandoned

And because more than 60 minutes had been played the result stands

Eod100 wrote: »

those last few mins were cruel and something very minor would of turned over possession to win the game for us but sadly wasant to be . Sextons kick was very unlucky

players like Darcy, BOD, POC, Bowe must of been more downhearted as they never got the chance to beat the ABs

• Registered Users Posts: 17,802 ✭✭✭✭bilston

those last few mins were cruel and something very minor would of turned over possession to win the game for us but sadly wasant to be . Sextons kick was very unlucky

players like Darcy, BOD, POC, Bowe must of been more downhearted as they never got the chance to beat the ABs

I've sometimes wondered whether we too disciplined. Given the momentum NZ had maybe it needed someone to kill the ball, even if it meant giving away a penalty, even a YC might have been worth it.

Easy with hindsight.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,069 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Philip Browne telling the media that the IRFU stands to lose €20m if the postponed 6N games and the AIs don't go ahead and that they will run out of cash if rugby doesn't restart. They could lose €30m if next years 6N doesn't go ahead or €15m if its played behind closed doors.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,679 ✭✭✭clsmooth

bilston wrote: »
    I've sometimes wondered whether we too disciplined. Given the momentum NZ had maybe it needed someone to kill the ball, even if it meant giving away a penalty, even a YC might have been worth it.

Easy with hindsight.

I guess you have the potential defending a 5m line out with 14 men happening in that case and then us wondering why player x didn’t trust the defensive system

• Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Rugby finally some RUUUUGGGGBBBBBYYYYYYY

Browne's stents about the IRFU's finances and the state of club rugby make for some troubling reading. We all knew that sports would be badly affected by the lockdown and it looks like the IRFU will be down €20m for the season even if the 6Nations is completed behind closed doors.

The build up threads are going to be f***ing nuclear.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,635 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Clegg wrote: »
    Browne's stents about the IRFU's finances and the state of club rugby make for some troubling reading. We all knew that sports would be badly affected by the lockdown and it looks like the IRFU will be down €20m for the season even if the 6Nations is completed behind closed doors.

Leinster missing out on full houses in Aviva is a €2m loss at least. Push empty grounds across the 4 provinces and your looking at €5m minimum

Ireland v Italy is probably worth €5m alone. Not sure how insurance works for this, but i wouldnt expect it to cover the full amount. I expect the wage deferrals announced 6 weeks ago to become straight up wage cuts for the players who earn more the 30k [was that the figure they announced as unaffected]

No AIs will be another major blow to the finances

De Allende and Snyman will probably be the last big name signings the provinces make for 2-3 seasons at least.

If no exemptions are available for sport, Irish Rugby is going into a very tricky spell

https://twitter.com/gavreilly/status/1263870063347675137?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

It's not expected to be a long term measure.
    The regulations will be signed by Minister Harris and will come into effect from Thursday, 28 May. They will remain in effect until 18 June, when they will be reviewed.

Buer wrote: »
    It's not expected to be a long term measure.

Wouldnt be surprised if it does get extended later into the year.

Also F1 are trying to host 2 grand prix in late july/early august in Silverstone and govt guidelines there are 14 Day self isolation upon arrival in UK. It does not apply to ROI but that would mean the Italians and SA in pro14 would face difficulty getting to play in Wales and Scotland. Also the French playing in Champions cup would be impacted.

A 2nd wave in autumn in any one of the European rugby countries could be disastrous

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,931 ✭✭✭jacothelad

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    If no exemptions are available for sport, Irish Rugby is going into a very tricky spell

https://twitter.com/gavreilly/status/1263870063347675137?s=19

I take it that people like HGV drivers bringing in goods etc are excluded.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Thrashssacre

Wouldnt be surprised if it does get extended later into the year.

Also F1 are trying to host 2 grand prix in late july/early august in Silverstone and govt guidelines there are 14 Day self isolation upon arrival in UK. It does not apply to ROI but that would mean the Italians and SA in pro14 would face difficulty getting to play in Wales and Scotland. Also the French playing in Champions cup would be impacted.

A 2nd wave in autumn in any one of the European rugby countries could be disastrous

I don't buy the second wave notion, it doesn't seem to have happened anywhere else as of yet, some country's have even gotten rid of the virus altogether albeit smaller less globalised ones then ourselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

I don't buy the second wave notion, it doesn't seem to have happened anywhere else as of yet, some country's have even gotten rid of the virus altogether albeit smaller less globalised ones then ourselves.

Not sure where to start with this.

The second wave is not a notion. It's what will happen if too many restrictions are lifted.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

https://www.newstatesman.com/world/asia/2020/05/how-singapores-second-wave-exposing-economic-inequalities

• Subscribers Posts: 41,589 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

jacothelad wrote: »
    I take it that people like HGV drivers bringing in goods etc are excluded.

They are yes

I dont believe the virus has gone away. And all it takes is one outbreak in northern Italy or south wales to scupper pro14 fixtures and possibly the 6n

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Thrashssacre

I dont believe the virus has gone away. And all it takes is one outbreak in northern Italy or south wales to scupper pro14 fixtures and possibly the 6n

Its effects are certainly being felt less, numbers are consistently down yet in the area where i live, large groups have been out for weeks on the street having massive bingo game, drinking sessions and bbqs with zero social distancing being observed. I think the worst is over at this point and baring a dangerous new strain mutating from the existing virus all should be back to normal sooner then we fear, here's hoping anyways.

Its effects are certainly being felt less, numbers are consistently down yet in the area where i live, large groups have been out for weeks on the street having massive bingo game, drinking sessions and bbqs with zero social distancing being observed. I think the worst is over at this point and baring a dangerous new strain mutating from the existing virus all should be back to normal sooner then we fear, here's hoping anyways.

Well the medical people suggest we will have to live with this for years to come. I guess it all depends on whether we get spikes in cases.

I thing the big problem for Ireland is going to be pubs. If there is still any covid19 in the community, that's when it will spread.

I can also see stadiums not allowing alcohol to be sold in the short term if crowds do return before 2021

Leinster missing out on full houses in Aviva is a €2m loss at least. Push empty grounds across the 4 provinces and your looking at €5m minimum

Ireland v Italy is probably worth €5m alone. Not sure how insurance works for this, but i wouldnt expect it to cover the full amount. I expect the wage deferrals announced 6 weeks ago to become straight up wage cuts for the players who earn more the 30k [was that the figure they announced as unaffected]

No AIs will be another major blow to the finances

De Allende and Snyman will probably be the last big name signings the provinces make for 2-3 seasons at least.

I think the same. We're going to see a lot more inter provincial transfers over the coming years and provinces relying on their academies much more.

• Advertisement

Clegg wrote: »
    I think the same. We're going to see a lot more inter provincial transfers over the coming years and provinces relying on their academies much more.

I'd love to see a draft

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement