Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XI: Team of nervoUS MOD warning Post 1

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

OldRio wrote: »
    All about cash. Nothing else.

Its a 'Who wants to pay the most for the TV rights tournament.'
    Nothing wrong with that right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,058 ✭✭✭OldRio

Nothing wrong with that right now.

I never said it wasn't. These are unprecedented times.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,356 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

so whats the expectations for us going into the 2021 6N
    ?. We still have to conclude the 2020 6N (and have a outside chance of winning the championship) and then we have that odd Autumn cup or whatever its called

Would love to see a load of new players in the squad

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

PTH2009 wrote: »
    so whats the expectations for us going into the 2021 6N
    ?. We still have to conclude the 2020 6N (and have a outside chance of winning the championship) and then we have that odd Autumn cup or whatever its called

Would love to see a load of new players in the squad
    What do you think?
    Could see a few new players but wont see too many. How many new caps would you want to see?
    The 2023 world cup draw will be on December 14, 2020 so seeding for that is going to be key part of these games

• Registered Users Posts: 38,356 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

What do you think?
    Could see a few new players but wont see too many. How many new caps would you want to see?
    The 2023 world cup draw will be on December 14, 2020 so seeding for that is going to be key part of these games

Us and world cup sucess don't get along and never will. Use these games to get us in the best position possible for the draw in France (could of been us hosting but ya know)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,446 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Us and world cup sucess don't get along and never will. Use these games to get us in the best position possible for the draw in France (could of been us hosting but ya know)

I don't think it matters what sort of draw we get, results likely to be the same. We've had good seeding, bad seeding, won our group, come second. Still played like dog **** in the quarters.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Looks like those matches will be on Amazon Prime. Think it's a recessive step for international matches to be behind a paywall tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

If we beat France in Paris along with winning at home to Italy, our 4th spot in the rankings should be secure unless we completely make a balls of this tournament.

Everything is on those two games, mostly the Paris game. I would imagine we are going to see some significant blooding of players in the November tournament. I can see 5 or 6 new caps along with a good few guys getting a run. Will Connors, Billy Burns, Ed Byrne, Ryan Baird may all make their debuts. Shane Daly might get a call up. Lads like Ross Byrne, Jack O'Donoghue, Kieran Treadwell etc. could get a start to add to their caps.

There's no reason for us not to use the Georgia game for development purposes especially if we've already got a win under our belts from the Welsh game.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Eod100 wrote: »
    Looks like those matches will be on Amazon Prime. Think it's a recessive step for international matches to be behind a paywall tbh.
    Its not near the same as Sky, BT etc in terms of costs though.
    And considering there isnt any income from tickets etc the unions need it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,616 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Money is fairly significant. Empty stadiums x 4 this year is a ~€15mil hit.

Empty stadiums week in week out is approx 25000 season ticket holders x ~€250/€300 average = €7,000,000

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Its not near the same as Sky, BT etc in terms of costs though.
    And considering there isnt any income from tickets etc the unions need it.

It's an additional cost though. If it's a once off for this season then might be fair enough but seems clear Amazon intend to broadcast more rugby in future.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

The new tournament might also start the process of Ireland moving on from some previously undroppables, but whom are now last their best. Looking at Murray and POM especially. Perhaps Healy too, although he's played quite well since the restart.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭Bogwoppit

Clegg wrote: »
    The new tournament might also start the process of Ireland moving on from some previously undroppables, but whom are now last their best. Looking at Murray and POM especially. Perhaps Healy too, although he's played quite well since the restart.

Don’t think you can put Healy in that bracket, fought his way into the team ahead of McGrath and has been in great form as you say yourself. Very much there on merit and not reputation.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Will Keith Earls still be involved? He turns 33 in October and there are a few new faces like Lowe and Daly putting their hands up.

Cian Healy also turns 33 in October but with his previous backup in Kilcoyne injured I don't see him being jettisoned right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Kevski

It's an additional cost though. If it's a once off for this season then might be fair enough but seems clear Amazon intend to broadcast more rugby in future.

To be honest I’d be fairly ok with that. Prime costs €7.99 per month and you can cancel your subscription and rejoin as you wish similar to Netflix, meaning that you can just sign up when rugby is on. I would much rather subscribe to a service like that than fork out for a Sky/BT package.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

The matches in Dublin will be on RTE and Channel 4. And Irelands AIs used to be on Sky in the UK as were Englands, so pay TV is nothing new.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Richie_Rich89

I'd like to see a first choice backrow of 6. Stander, 7. Connors, 8. Doris. And on the bench maybe Deegan? Van der Flier wouldn't be a great bench option, seeing as he only covers openside.

O'Mahony, Conan, Reidy, O'Donoghue and maybe even Beirne or Butler are other possibles for the bench.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Heres Johnny

Its replacing the November Internationals as Southern Hemisphere sides not coming north.
    Good to have a mini world cup. Maybe might help us ahead of 2023....

At least there's no quarter final in this, straight to a final for everyone.

Will Keith Earls still be involved? He turns 33 in October and there are a few new faces like Lowe and Daly putting their hands up.

Cian Healy also turns 33 in October but with his previous backup in Kilcoyne injured I don't see him being jettisoned right now.

Earls is a difficult one to call. If Farrell is picking based on performances so far this season he is certainly in with a shout. If he is selecting with an eye towards the next world cup then Earls is the most likely to lose out.

Healy is in a similar situation albeit I think there is a slightly greater gap between him and most of his contemporaries.

There are a heap of contestable jerseys up for grabs in the pack though. Both starting and bench loosehead and hooker. I reckon Stander is the only guaranteed fixture in the backrow and Ryan similarly in the second row. We could see a very different looking group of forwards by the time international rugby comes back.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,004 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

A 33 year old winger is very different to a 33 year old prop. On current form, Earls deserves to be involved but he isn't going to make the next RWC. Where as Healy possibly could make it. If he maintains his form.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,840 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

Saw all the old Irish training gear is now on sale.

https://www.lifestylesports.com/ie/ireland-rugby/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,679 ✭✭✭clsmooth

Saw all the old Irish training gear is now on sale.

https://www.lifestylesports.com/ie/ireland-rugby/

Not too many fond memories of that kit.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,840 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

No! Would never buy the Phone jerseys anyway. & the RWC would be too painful!
    But the training stuff good.

Hume should get a call up. He looks like a serious prospect.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,802 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Hume should get a call up. He looks like a serious prospect.

Yeah, he should be part of the conversation for the wider squad, he would probably really benefit from a week in camp as he would learn a lot. I dont think he is ready to be capped though. But he will have gained a lot from tonight's experience as well.

Very encouraging seeing VDF raise his game after how well Doris performed last weekend. We've two very good options at 7.

Doris was also exceptionally good this evening playing at blindside. I can't see an Ireland side without him and CJ in it. Think this might be POM's last bow in a green jersey.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,101 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

Hard to argue against 6. Doris 7. VDF 8. CJ

• Subscribers Posts: 41,589 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Hard to argue against 6. Doris 7. VDF 8. CJ

You have 6 and 8 wrong imo

Stockdale struggled in defence again this evening. I don't think he missed any tackles like last weekend, but there were a few occasions where he made the hit but was still driven back a good few metres. And this was against Larmour who is significantly smaller. Defence is becoming a very glaring problem.

Wonder if it would be worth trying Lowe and Conway in the wings with Larmour at 15.

• Advertisement

Stockdale struggled in defence again this evening. I don't think he missed any tackles like last weekend, but there were a few.kcxasions where he made the hit bug was still driven back a good few metres. And this was against Larmour who is significant smaller. Defence is becoming a very glaring problem.

Wonder if it would be worth trying Lowe and Conway in the wings with Larmour at 15.

Putting Lowe in for Stockdale because of defense doesn't make much sense!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement