Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XI: Team of nervoUS MOD warning Post 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,371 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

ClanofLams wrote: »
    If you were appointing now? Cullen and Lancaster (as a duo)from Ireland. Outside Ireland would require some consideration and study obviously, off the top of my head maybe Vern Cotter?

Has any country bar England and Martin Johnson appointed someone in the last twenty years who hasn’t been head coach somewhere?

Mark McCall.

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Annabella1

Pretty facile win for the Boks today
    Simple beat em up rugby
    Teams have been doing it to Japan for years
    We should have strangled them especially after going two tries up

Annabella1 wrote: »
    Pretty facile win for the Boks today
    Simple beat em up rugby
    Teams have been doing it to Japan for years
    We should have strangled them especially after going two tries up

Yes they were (well) able to absorb the Japanes burst in the first 30 mins then turn the screw, having beaten them up, and got their reward.

On the day we just weren't able to play at the same pace as Japan over the course of the game, especially when they had the ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭typhoony

bilston wrote: »
    I just hope people give Andy Farrell a chance. I have a feeling that 2020 might prove to be a difficult Six Nations, I also get the sense that some are already quite down on Farrell. England and France away will be tough and Wales at home won't be easy either.

But he needs time and patience. I'd hope it's March 2021 before people start drawing their conclusions on him.
    Although sticking with Farrell is very Cleary the IRFU commiting to the Schmidt type of play. On the plus side he doesn't have stick with the senior players

• Registered Users Posts: 21,677 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Mark McCall.

Signed a 4 year contract extension in 2018 with Saracens, would've been a hell of a lot of money to buy out and he didn't leave on good terms with the IRFU. Likely wouldn't have wanted the job too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

If you were appointing now? Cullen and Lancaster (as a duo)from Ireland. Outside Ireland would require some consideration and study obviously, off the top of my head maybe Vern Cotter?

Has any country bar England and Martin Johnson appointed someone in the last twenty years who hasn’t been head coach somewhere?

I don't think Lancaster wants a job at test level. He's quoted as saying he much prefers the day to day coaching job and helping players develop their skill sets. With England he said 80% of his job was admin and public relations and he didn't enjoy it.

I know he'd get more access to players under the IRFU's policies. But ai really don't think he'd take the job if it were offered to him.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 352 ✭✭lord quackinton

Kimmage on heaslip today is brutal and reads badly for heaslip

Kimmage is One tough and intelligent mother and he has set his sights on rugby

I pray the game is clean in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭typhoony

I've thinking if you were to pick a World XV from the last 5 years would any Irishman get into team, you'd like to think we'd get one in but none spring to mind, possibly Tadgh Furlong.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,802 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Hasty appointment of someone who has never been head coach at any level, has echoes of 2007 decision to give O’Sullvan long term contract. If the shortlist was being made up today, he wouldn’t be close to the top of it.

He has gotten the job so good luck to him but I don’t see it working out.

Just give the man a chance. He might surprise you.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 277 ✭✭Danthemanhere

The continuation of Joeball is the last thing we need. We have to give Farrell his chance but he must show signs of changing things up early.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,355 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Kimmage on heaslip today is brutal and reads badly for heaslip

Kimmage is One tough and intelligent mother and he has set his sights on rugby

I pray the game is clean in Ireland.

Well We know for a fact at least one of Heaslip and Kimmage took performance enhancing drugs. The same one with a massive chip on his shoulder.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Lancaster doesn’t want a job at test level.

Vern Cotter wasn’t all that fantastic at Scotland.

Next?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,436 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Ruthlessness is needed to reinvigorate the team. I'd drop anyone with a negative age profile. The IRFU should look to get out from some of the contracts they've given out. Sexton should not be featuring going forward, even if he remains the best outhalf for a period of time.

Pick players who can do more than fall at defenders feet. We're a decade past that being an acceptable level of skill. Watching the other teams in the 1/4s, it's embarrassing how deficient our general level of skill is.

Central contracts should be reworked. Should be something closer to an annual bonus for selection to the national team. It would still give an incentive to stay in Ireland. It would reward players doing well, but wouldn't put a coach in a position where someone expensive contract weighs on his selection.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,585 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Oh I see we're playing 'pin the tail on the coach' now....

Great.....

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Oh I see we're playing 'pin the tail on the coach' now....

Great.....

It seems to be more like 'defend the failed coach' to me!

It seems to be more like 'defend the failed coach' to me!

Really? I’ve seen sod all people defend his recent record but page after page of the same people saying the same things.

salmocab wrote: »
    Really? I’ve seen sod all people defend his recent record but page after page of the same people saying the same things.

I can't help you with your poor reading comprehension, sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,931 ✭✭✭jacothelad

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    When you look at the s**t just played by Wales and they are in semi you have to wonder is ireland never going to get to a semi....we never get run of green

This is exactly the reason that I couldn't care much about the RWC. It's a lottery up to the last rounds. Get a favourable draw and you are set. If Wales had been playing the ABs today they'd have been annihilated yet they get a semi v. SA while France bow out. I much prefer the rugby played in season, even the much maligned Pro 14.

Japan had their team together for 265+ days, SA and Abs just played their championship. I suspect that Ireland et al would be more competitive if the RWC was a few weeks after the 6Ns.

You deserve mediocrity and failure.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Faugheen wrote: »
    Lancaster doesn’t want a job at test level.

Vern Cotter wasn’t all that fantastic at Scotland.

Next?

Do you speak for Lancaster you do?

Vern Cotter dome very well with Scotland if you look at the context. If you want other candidates, Scott Robertson, Jamie Joseph, Mark McCall as someone else mentioned. The teams needs an overhaul and change in style, not sure someone involved the last three years is best placed to do
    that.

You didn’t answer my question if any other country had appointed a head coach with no experience in that role bar Martin Johnson.

• Advertisement

And that’s your reply what you presumably consider witty?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,436 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Vern Cotter dome very well with Scotland if you look at the context. If you want other candidates, Scott Robertson, Jamie Joseph, Mark McCall as someone else mentioned. The teams needs an overhaul and change in style, not sure someone involved the last three years is best placed to do
    that.

You didn’t answer my question if any other country had appointed a head coach with no experience in that role bar Martin Johnson.

There's plenty of quality coaches in NZ who'd be worth taking a shot at.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭FellasFellas

The oddest thing I've heard is the anti Welsh brigade from Irish fans. Those clowns on OTB saying before the RWC to Quinlan, 'Who would you rather have win, England or Wales?' and he's humming and hawing and they say, 'Wales would be unbearable if they won it!'.

Wales have shown time and time again, they do not need a thriving club scene to push hard in the international games when it matters. It's all well and good when Leinster can beat Cardiff 60-0 or something, but Wales have shown us how it's done tbh. Gatland is one of the best coaches in the world and there's this anti-Gatland feeling as well because of 2013, but I'd give him the job over Farrell anyday. They've got less players, a smaller population and far worse clubs, yet they out performed us in the RWC when it matters. Credit where credits due.

You'd also have to say that we need to take a leaf from their book in terms of getting players into the system earlier. We can't keep waiting and waiting until we're desperate for players and hoping to unearth a James Ryan or Sexton. Craig Casey, Ronan Kelleher, these kinds of guys need to be brought into the Irish setup early and rewarded for their form. Why should we give Niall Scannell and Sean Cronin the rest of the caps for the next few years, and similarly at 9, the fact that Marmion and McGrath are our 2 & 3 scrum halves is laughable. We cannot compete at the top if this is where we are player wise.

You deserve mediocrity and failure.

Don't think so but Schmidt sure served us mediocrity and failure this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    He doesn’t need to be big, just need a big back row around him....as you say Faf DC is probably the best or second best scrum half and small, very small

Is he even getting a game with Munster A’s?

Starting for the As.
    If he's good enough he'll play.

salmocab wrote: »
    And that’s your reply what you presumably consider witty?

No, I'm just pointing out your poor comprehension skills. You might need to re-read the past few pages.

that.

I know people who are connected to him. He does not want a job at test level because the last one he got put a big strain on him and his family. Sorry I don’t have text messages or anything to hand but you can keep banging the drum and the case will still be that he doesn’t want a job at test level.

Jamie Joseph did well with a team who was on home soil and spent the vast majority of the year together. Mark McCall isn’t available. Scott Robertson wants the All Blacks job and I would be very surprised if he left NZ for that to happen.

Your question is irrelevant. I couldn’t care less about the times teams appointed first time head coaches.

You’re ****ting on Farrell before we’ve even played a game and coming up with pipe dream scenarios for coaches. Give him a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

I know people who are connected to him. He does not want a job at test level because the last one he got put a big strain on him and his family. Sorry I don’t have text messages or anything to hand but you can keep banging the drum and the case will still be that he doesn’t want a job at test level.

Jamie Joseph did well with a team who was on home soil and spent the vast majority of the year together. Mark McCall isn’t available. Scott Robertson wants the All Blacks job and I would be very surprised if he left NZ for that to happen.

Your question is irrelevant. I couldn’t care less about the times teams appointed first time head coaches.

You’re ****ting on Farrell before we’ve even played a game and coming up with pipe dream scenarios for coaches. Give him a chance.

Pipe dream scenarios?? As opposed to yourself who seems to be suggesting no one else in the world would be interested in the job?

If NZ win the World Cup Scott Robertson will have the choice between joining Ian Fosters backroom team or staying at the crusaders another four plus years.

Making a guy head coach for the first time at international level is highly unusual, just because it is something you ‘couldn’t care less about’ doesn’t mean it’s not a serious risk.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 352 ✭✭lord quackinton

I have posted else where

Farrell needs paying off and I think he will be
    Pat lam would be my choice.
    The irfu need to spend big on the best coaching ticket they can get
    Give thAt coach complete power and told last 4 World Cup 2023 is the only goal
    remove ban on foreign based players

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭Niallof9

Pipe dream scenarios?? As opposed to yourself who seems to be suggesting no one else in the world would be interested in the job?

If NZ win the World Cup Scott Robertson will have the choice between joining Ian Fosters backroom team or staying at the crusaders another four plus years.

Making a guy head coach for the first time at international level is highly unusual, just because it is something you ‘couldn’t care less about’ doesn’t mean it’s not a serious risk.

yeah totally agree. And its not just that he's been given the gig with no head coach history...he's been given four years.

I have heard he's a totally different story to Schmidt so look maybe i'm being too quick.

anybody who keeps up to date with the squad and reads, or knows people and hears all the snippets knows that Joe behind closed doors is a terror and the players are **** scared of him. Farrell seems to be more in the Van Graan mould where the players love him.

They loved Joe because of detail and things like that but he's completely different to what you see in the media. Trimble's keycard story, Mike Ross talks of the four page plan u cannot deviate from, trimble mentioning an unpleasant atmopsphere ,shouting at the pr guys in Australia (as per brendan fanning) pre match warm ups where u can see with your own eyes him screaming, Zebo stopping his Z, and i'm sure theres a few others. It seems like it became just too much. I reckon the players were tired. If you didn't know moves backwards you were goosed and torn apart. we all know the reviews etc. I mean i'm sure Hansen is as ruthless. It's part of why we were so successful his detail focused dictating style.

Farrell does seem like a guy you'd want to die for. A players player, a man's man...warm and engaging but also a beast of a man. 16 year old international etc

maybe we will all have a man crush in 12months...he has to hit the ground running tho...in style and selection imo.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement