Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XI: Team of nervoUS MOD warning Post 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

I dont think his defensive game is excellent at all. and he wont be first choice the second he's available. Likely will be in and around squads but not going to be clear first choice

Tend to agree. He very much defends like someone who is used to be being more powerful than opponents and doesn't have to rely on technique or footwork to get himself into the right position.

One on one against a good attacker, I don't have much more faith in Lowe than I would Stockdale. The Leinster system and work rate inside him rarely sees him in such situations though.

I didn't realise Keenan was a few months older than Shane Daly. I assumed Keenan was 20/21?!

Nah, was on the 7s circuit for a while and when he was primed to make a breakthrough in 2018/19 he had to have surgery which coincided with the 6N period when he'd have been starting.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,589 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

I didn't realise Keenan was a few months older than Shane Daly. I assumed Keenan was 20/21?!

Keenan was from the same u20s grade as james Ryan, Andrew Porter, Stockdale and Deegan.

Unfortunately he was kept out by a collar bone injury for a long while

I dont think his defensive game is excellent at all. and he wont be first choice the second he's available. Likely will be in and around squads but not going to be clear first choice

We'll have to agree to disagree - I think he'll walk into the team based on the last 3 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Richie_Rich89

Buer wrote: »
    Yes, comfortably. Keenan has one appearance at 13 for Leinster A two years ago to my knowledge. Any senior showing has been at 15 or 14.

Daly has started at 11, 14 and 15 for Munster as well as several starts at 13 for Munster A, for Cork Con and was a 13 at underage right up to starting the JWC final at 13.

It's moot anyway. I can't see beyond Aki and Ringrose in the centre and I can't see beyond Henshaw in the 23 jersey as a result. Even if Henshaw is out, I'd consider Farrell the front runner.

I don't remember him starting on the right wing for Munster. When was that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,678 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

I refuse to put any faith into Keenan until he gets rid of that poxy mullet.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,820 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

We'll have to agree to disagree - I think he'll walk into the team based on the last 3 years.

Ah now Venjur tearing it up for your province might, and I mean might get you in to camp, but if you don't show it in training then it's back to your province and a myriad of reasons as to why the incumbent held on to his jersey!!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Yes, comfortably. Keenan has one appearance at 13 for Leinster A two years ago to my knowledge. Any senior showing has been at 15 or 14.

Daly has started at 11, 14 and 15 for Munster as well as several starts at 13 for Munster A, for Cork Con and was a 13 at underage right up to starting the JWC final at 13.

It's moot anyway. I can't see beyond Aki and Ringrose in the centre and I can't see beyond Henshaw in the 23 jersey as a result. Even if Henshaw is out, I'd consider Farrell the front runner.

I had to go back to remind myself what happened in the 6 Nations, but judging from that I think this is spot on.

We played 11. Stockdale 14. Conway 15. Larmour for all 3 matches. I think there’s a strong likelihood we’ll see the same for the upcoming games.

With regards centre, and the 23 jersey, it seems one of the few times we had all 3 of Aki, Henshaw and Ringrose fit Farrell went with 12. Aki, 13. Ringrose and 23. Henshaw.

I do fear tho that the bigger reason all of this is moot is because of the great big Covid caveat, thru players potentially having to self-isolate. Lets hope it won’t have too much of an impact, just from human level, let alone anything to do with rugby.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,446 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

mfceiling wrote: »
    Ah now Venjur tearing it up for your province might, and I mean might get you in to camp, but if you don't show it in training then it's back to your province and a myriad of reasons as to why the incumbent held on to his jersey!!

Sure he's probably got two years of camp presence ahead of him before he could even be considered for a bench spot on a summer tour.

mfceiling wrote: »

I fully agree with you - I'm generally loathe to anoint the shiny new talent.

On the other hand I've watched every minute of Lowe in blue and he is the most dynamic back three player in the country, has heaps of knock out rugby under his belt and whilst he has his share of weaknesses - I think he is a cut above just about every other option we have in terms of his impact on the pitch.

I'm completely open to the possibility that I'm over rating him, but I'm fairly convinced from what I've seen that he's a guaranteed starter for Ireland when eligible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,820 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

On the other hand I've watched every minute of Lowe in blue and he is the most dynamic back three player in the country, has heaps of knock out rugby under his belt and whilst he has his share of weaknesses - I think he is a cut above just about every other option we have in terms of his impact on the pitch.

I'm completely open to the possibility that I'm over rating him, but I'm fairly convinced from what I've seen that he's a guaranteed starter for Ireland when eligible.

Here's hoping!! A genuine threat in the backline is no bad thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,357 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Whilst I wouldn’t over egg the certain starter bit I do think we’ve had people giving out about players being too stuck in systems and Lowe is the perfect antidote to that.

So looks like Larmour could be out of the picture for a few weeks, Henderson could miss a few weeks also.

Could see Baird start against Italy now and I imagine there will be a call up to replace Larmour.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

This could be our most inexperienced back three ever in a Six Nations game. Keenan-Daly-Stockdale?

Edit: D'oh, forgot Conway. So it's between Keenan and Daly for the final spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,615 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Tomtom364

Presume someone will be called up to replace L'amour on Monday in the squad, only had 5 back 3 players initially, who would be next off the block? Rob lyttle? Whooton has been good? Mike Haley was involved in the RWC warm up squad?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

Poor Bobby Baloucoune has missed a golden opportunity.

Poor Bobby Baloucoune has missed a golden opportunity.

He really has. Even without the injuries to Earls and Larmour he had his hand well and truly up for selection.

When is he due back?

It was "a number of months" in the press - I was under the impression it would be most of the season, but I don't know where I got that.

On form, he'd have been ahead of Stockdale.

• Advertisement

On form, he'd have been ahead of Stockdale.

I seem to be the only one who is quietly impressed by Stockdale at fullback...

He's getting shown up plenty which is fine as he's learning the position - but he looks good going forward and he'll get a handle of the rest in time.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭OneLungDavy

He's getting shown up plenty which is fine as he's learning the position - but he looks good going forward and he'll get a handle of the rest in time.

He did have a great game last night from FB.

Is he learning it, though? He was a FB coming up, was he not? I think he's always maintained it was his favourite position.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Is he learning it, though? He was a FB coming up, was he not? I think he's always maintained it was his favourite position.

I thought he mostly played and preferred (or used to) playing centre underage.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,626 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

He has no interest in tackling, can't see that changing any time soon. Just doesn't seem to have the mentality for it

Bazzo wrote: »
    I thought he mostly played and preferred (or used to) playing centre underage.

Has played 13 but more of a 15. Played there throughout the run to the JWC final in 2016 with Keenan on the wing.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,802 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Stockdale was excellent last night at FB and even last week was good going forward.

Last night he was superb under the high ball which was nice to see. He wasn't tested in terms of having to make tackles though.

Personally I think he is worth a start there against Italy and we will see how he fares at test level. In attack it could be quite exciting...defensively...we will see

AdamD wrote: »
    He has no interest in tackling

He wouldn't have gotten within ten arses roars of international rugby if that was the case.

There are a tiny handful of players who have made it to top flight rugby whilst also being a slight bit contact shy and Stockdale is not one of those.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Has played 13 but more of a 15. Played there throughout the run to the JWC final in 2016 with Keenan on the wing.

He played there for Ireland alright but I seem to remember that his usual position underage in schools/club rugby had been 13. He definitely said in an interview a few years back that 13 was his own preferred position.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭kingofthekong

I'd bring Lyttle in for Larmour, like for like. Or maybe Farrell will upgrade Lowe to the full squad

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement