Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XI: Team of nervoUS MOD warning Post 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Tomtom364

I'd bring Lyttle in for Larmour, like for like. Or maybe Farrell will upgrade Lowe to the full squad

He is not eligible.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

I'd bring Lyttle in for Larmour, like for like. Or maybe Farrell will upgrade Lowe to the full squad

Lowe isn't available to play so there's not much point in upgrading him.

I haven't seen Ulster or Connacht over the weekend but I'd assume it's between Wootton and Lyttle for the callup.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,105 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Have we any idea when Dave Kearney is back?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

Lowe isn't available to play so there's not much point in upgrading him.

I haven't seen Ulster or Connacht over the weekend but I'd assume it's between Wootton and Lyttle for the callup.

Happy to admit bias, but I think Lyttle at least deserves to second time with the squad.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Guinness RFC

So for Italy we’re looking at something like:

11. Keenan
    15. Stockdale
    14. Conway

Not too bad considering the amount of injuries.

Fullback options:
    Stockdale
    Daly
    Keenan.

In my view Keenan is the best of the 3. Although Daly is very good Keenans positioning for me is just fantastic. He reads where the play/ball is going to end up so well case in point Treviso where he caught wide kicks without letting them bounce. That takes good reading of the play. The only thing going against him is lack of size/bulk for international rugby.

At least we have some good options starting to emerge in the wake of Kearney’s retirement. I don’t think Larmour or Stockdale are fullbacks for me although by all accounts Stockdale had a good game there on the weekend which I didn’t see.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭StackSteevens

On the topic of fullbacks, I see that Wasps have agreed with the Italian Rugby Federation that their talented fullback Minozzi can play for them in the GPL final rather than playing for his country against Ireland. Decent of the Italians to weaken their team which will help our 6 Nations campaign.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,614 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

On the topic of fullbacks, I see that Wasps have agreed with the Italian Rugby Federation that their talented fullback Minozzi can play for them in the GPL final rather than playing for his country against Ireland. Decent of the Italians to weaken their team which will help our 6 Nations campaign.

It will still be a 25-30 point win for ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 17,802 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Yeah, I was wondering what would have happened if Scotland were playing and Exeter had approached the SRU over Stuart Hogg.

To be fair Italy have nothing to play for, so Minozzi gets the chance of a medal and Italy get to try someone else, so it makes sense all round.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,614 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

So we're likely go be going into the double header with Ryan, Beirne and Roux as our locks. That will be fine for Italy but far from ideal for Paris.

There will be a lot depending on Henderson's suspension. One would imagine Wycherley gets a call up given he's already training with them although Dillane is deserving of one. There will be a temptation to parachute Toner back in but I'd be keep to avoid such a move.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

So who of the remaining options are recognised line out callers? This could have a big bearing on whether Toner gets the call or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,808 ✭✭✭b.gud

molloyjh wrote: »
    So who of the remaining options are recognised line out callers? This could have a big bearing on whether Toner gets the call or not.

Roux has been calling the lineout for Connacht for a good while now. I can't remember where I saw it but recently Connachts lineout has been one of the best in the pro14

• Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Beirne and Roux aren't test standard locks. Wouldn't have a problem with Beirne starting at 6 for Ireland, but I don't think he has the brawn for second row. Roux has the size but he's a middling player overall. Not many other options unfortunately. Ryan will have to work even harder.

It's a blow for Ireland that Baird is out too. Think he could be a superstar if given enough time.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,589 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

surely Toner is first off the rank to be called back up.
    his lineout skills alone make him a no brainer for italy, and his link play suits as well.

he may not have the beef for France, but the french game will be moot without a 5 pointer against italy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

Gavin Thornbury an option?

Roux tight-side lock, with Ryan loose-side lock and Beirne off the bench would be grand for the Italy and France games.

I don’t think Wycherley at 6’4” is tall enough for an international lock.
    His future must be at 6 as an enforcer type player, which he could be at International level.
    I’d have him there for Munster ahead of O’Mahony already.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

His future must be at 6 as an enforcer type player, which he could be at International level.
    Yes he would be an exception at 6'4 to be a second row but dont see why it should stop him. Dont see him playing enough to be a 6 at international level anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Dog Botherer

Does it say why Baird is out?

adductor strain according to leinster thread

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,446 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Have to think Dillane would get called up, if he's fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭kingofthekong

Id rate Dillane ahead of Whycherley, and beirne, Berine used to be phenominal and unplayable at times for Scarlets...but at Munster hes been bang average

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Wycherley will get more opportunities at lock than in the backrow at Munster.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,802 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Shame about Baird, I was looking forward to seeing him challenge Ryan to see who partners Henderson in the future

• Registered Users Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Is Jean Klyne injured?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Neil3030 wrote: »
    Is Jean Klyne injured?
    Kleyn came back few weeks ago i thought?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

Neil3030 wrote: »
    Is Jean Klyne injured?

Seriously, if we are considering Klyne we should pick Toner. Klyne adds nothing to the cause. Im happy taking a punt on Wycherly for the italy game

• Registered Users Posts: 10,446 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

bilston wrote: »
    Shame about Baird, I was looking forward to seeing him challenge Ryan to see who partners Henderson in the future

What's Henderson been like form wise? So frustratingly inconsistent.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

What's Henderson been like form wise? So frustratingly inconsistent.

Good. He's been very good since his return. Just work, work, work.

Lineout has run pretty smoothly and we've actually taken a couple of penalty kicks at goal, so his leadership looks to be focussed as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭siltirocker

Clegg wrote: »
    Beirne and Roux aren't test standard locks. Wouldn't have a problem with Beirne starting at 6 for Ireland, but I don't think he has the brawn for second row. Roux has the size but he's a middling player overall. Not many other options unfortunately. Ryan will have to work even harder.

It's a blow for Ireland that Baird is out too. Think he could be a superstar if given enough time.

I think that is very unfair on Roux. He proved himself more than capable in 2019 Six Nations (against Scotland in Murrayfield in particular), even picked up a try or two. And has essentially been coincidentally injured in the test windows after that.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement