Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XI: Team of nervoUS MOD warning Post 1

Options

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 41,589 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Thornley way out

• Registered Users Posts: 3,649 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

4 debuts in the 23 is surely the highest for a 6N game in recent memory? I know circumstances are different but still that's fantastic to see.

Add to that the single cap for Heffernan and Doris (excluding his 4 minute debut) it's a really new feel to it.

First starts for Heff and Doris too if I'm not mistaken?

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Kevski

4 debuts in the 23 is surely the highest for a 6N game in recent memory? I know circumstances are different but still that's fantastic to see.

Add to that the single cap for Heffernan and Doris (excluding his 4 minute debut) it's a really new feel to it.

First starts for Heff and Doris too if I'm not mistaken?

Doris started against Scotland and also came off the bench against England earlier in the year I think.

Some positive signs there in the pack too.

Heffernan is quite and under rated carrier and I think he has lovely hands. Could easily build a few strike plays around him.

Connors can do the lions share of the line speed and defensive work freeing up Doris to take on more ball.

Ryan and Stander had far too much of the responsibility for carrying so great to see potentially 2 more options there.

Connors and Beirne might make a formidable duo in defence. Can't think of anyone with a better chop tackle than Will and few can match Tadghs speed at getting over the ball.

Lineouts could be a cause for concern. None of the backrow would be standouts. Doris well capable of getting up at the front though

Kevski wrote: »
    Doris started against Scotland and also came off the bench against England earlier in the year I think.

Sorry you're right he did start against Scotland but his cap against Scotland did last less than 4 minutes.

In my mind he's had one test match of significant experience to him

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Decent enough side considering the injury problems. Delighted for Keenan. His rise has been so quick. Was putting in good performances pre-lockdown, but they were middling league games. Upon the restart he went up another level so quickly. Started all our big games and performed well.

Only issues I have with the team are Sexton and POM. Italy at home is our easiest fixture so there's no better time to bed in a potential successor. And POM is a waste of a bench spot. Been in awful firm since the restart and was lucky to even make the wider squad.

Clegg wrote: »
    Decent enough side considering the injury problems. Delighted for Keenan. His rise has been so quick. Was putting in good performances pre-lockdown, but they were middling league games. Upon the restart he went up another level so quickly. Started all our big games and performed well.

Only issues I have with the team are Sexton and POM. Italy at home is our easiest fixture so there's no better time to bed in a potential successor. And POM is a waste of a bench spot. Been in awful firm since the restart and was lucky to even make the wider squad.

POM on the bench is a bit of a head scratcher alright. If we need one more try and there's 15 mins left, he's not exactly the back row player to open the field up.
    Perhaps it's just lack of choice there really as VDFs main traits are more defensive than offensive.

Conan would make much more sense

• Administrators Posts: 53,799 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Thornley way out

Thornley furiously phoning his sources at this point in time I'd say. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,820 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Would Doris at 8 and CJ at 6 make more sense or am I way out?

mfceiling wrote: »

Established 8, 9 and 10 for more direction off set piece I would think

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Some interesting calls there. Don't think anyone can accuse Farrell of being conservative anyway. The only selection I'd disagree with is POM tbh. Would have thought Conan off the bench would have been more what we needed given we're looking for scores. But it's a very callow bench in the forwards at least so the experience and leadership is probably a big factor there.

mfceiling wrote: »

I would have thought so, but I suppose Doris doesn't have a huge amount of time at 8, especially in bigger games. As syd said, the experience of Stander there probably makes sense. It will be interesting to see how they plan to use POM though? Does he come in for Connors or onto the blindside? If its the latter, Doris could move to 8 potentially.

Just had a thought.

The anthems are gonna be weird this weekend.

Presumably they wont have Michael D there. Nor will they have the marching band.

I think it's going to be bizarre seeing the teams singing in an empty stadium

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Dog Botherer

Just had a thought.

The anthems are gonna be weird this weekend.

Presumably they wont have Michael D there. Nor will they have the marching band.

I think it's going to be bizarre seeing the teams singing in an empty stadium

Ireland’s Call is going to be an atrocity, and i don’t even usually mind it. the others might be okay though.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,105 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Think the team is fine. I don't really think our tight 5 is great but he's probably picked the best available, we just don't have the personnel there with the injuries, Healy getting on etc. Didn't expect Connors to start at all and Keenan has had some rise. I think Aki is the right call, he's been really good this season. Dunno what POM has to do to get dropped but apparently less than doing nothing in game bar getting sent off, and hopefully JGP gets some meaningful gametime.

i assume O’Mahony is there to give the hookers an easy target at the front of the lineout if it’s all going ****eways. which, given our line outs lately, fair enough.

still wouldn’t have picked him mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,446 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Think the team is fine. I don't really think our tight 5 is great but he's probably picked the best available, we just don't have the personnel there with the injuries, Healy getting on etc. Didn't expect Connors to start at all and Keenan has had some rise. I think Aki is the right call, he's been really good this season. Dunno what POM has to do to get dropped but apparently less than doing nothing in game bar getting sent off, and hopefully JGP gets some meaningful gametime.

Bizarre choice, you'd swear he's the only backrower we have who can jump.

but he is our only back row who can only jump. what could go wrong?

i assume O’Mahony is there to give the hookers an easy target at the front of the lineout if it’s all going ****eways. which, given our line outs lately, fair enough.

still wouldn’t have picked him mind.

every single one of our back 5 are jumping options.....

if we cant secure our own ball from that then there will serious questions asked of Easterby.

I think against italy we could have looked at a more offence minded "finisher" type from the bench, as points difference could become a factor.... but hey.

Against France however, maybe POM as an 'in the trenches' would be more applicable option.

It's well established that POM is one of the best lineout operators of Irelands backrow choices.

Doris is a capable option. Normally used at 2 for Leinster.

CJ and Connors I don't think have 5 lineout takes between them this season. VDF or Conan are rarely deployed as jumpers either

POM offers a genuine threat of a steal and is consistently able to beat the opposition into the air.

I'm not calling for him to be involved. But I don't think his aerial ability can be disputed

• Advertisement

It's well established that POM is one of the best lineout operators of Irelands backrow choices.

Doris is a capable option. Normally used at 2 for Leinster.

CJ and Connors I don't think have 5 lineout takes between them this season. VDF or Conan are rarely deployed as jumpers either

POM offers a genuine threat of a steal and is consistently able to beat the opposition into the air.

I'm not calling for him to be involved. But I don't think his aerial ability can be disputed

He's good for maybe one steal a game. Out of how many lineouts a per game? That usually comes with 0-5 tackles, no carries, maybe a steal on the deck if he's having one of his "good " games.

He's good for maybe one steal a game. Out of how many lineouts a per game? That usually comes with 0-5 tackles, no carries, maybe a steal on the deck if he's having one of his "good " games.

I'm not discussing other aspects of his game. Nor do I think he should be involved.

But with regards to lineouts I do think he's a better alternative to the likes of VDF, or Conan and is the only reason I can see him being involved.

If I'm analysing the most effective way to create scoring opportunities in the 6 nations, line outs are a massive source of them. So there is logic to getting someone who can secure a potentially problematic lineout. And someone who can disrupt an opposition lineout

I'm not discussing other aspects of his game. Nor do I think he should be involved.

But with regards to lineouts I do think he's a better alternative to the likes of VDF, or Conan and is the only reason I can see him being involved.

If I'm analysing the most effective way to create scoring opportunities in the 6 nations, line outs are a massive source of them. So there is logic to getting someone who can secure a potentially problematic lineout. And someone who can disrupt an opposition lineout

I don't dismiss his abilities in the lineout, he's certainly the best in the country as a defensive jumper, but on our own jump I don't think he's so much better for that to be considered a factor.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

4 debutantes in the 23, and others like Doris and Heffernan who are still pretty new to the international fold, and we're still discussing POM...

aloooof wrote: »
    4 debutantes in the 23, and others like Doris and Heffernan who are still pretty new to the international fold, and we're still discussing POM...

you must have missed the posts that have been praising the selection of young players and debutants

but obviously until we see how they perform in green theres gonna be very little discussion other than being glad to see them there.

POM however, well we know at this stage what he brings to the party.

As a bench option i just think its a bit strange unless we're trying to hang on for a win when he comes on.

If his lineout ability on both attack and defense was such a potent weapon to pressure both sides of the ball... he should be starting.

sydthebeat wrote: »
    you must have missed the posts that have been praising the selection of young players and debutants

but obviously until we see how they perform in green theres gonna be very little discussion other than being glad to see them there.

POM however, well we know at this stage what he brings to the party.

As a bench option i just think its a bit strange unless we're trying to hang on for a win when he comes on.

If his lineout ability on both attack and defense was such a potent weapon to pressure both sides of the ball... he should be starting.

I think keeping guys the right kind of focused and in the right head space of we are chasing a couple of scores makes sense too. We dont want to get too loose. And with all the inexperience on the bench (plus the lack of experience together too) that could well happen. We've often seen when sides make a lot of changes with inexperienced options on the bench they lose a bit of cohesion.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭wittycynic

Happy and all as I am to see prospects handed a cap, is it really a good idea to start Keenan on the wing, a guy who has just one try to his name at provincial level (scored back in 2018) in a game where we need to rack up a massive score to have even the remotest chance of remaining in the hunt for the championship?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

wittycynic wrote: »
    Happy and all as I am to see prospects handed a cap, is it really a good idea to start Keenan on the wing, a guy who has just one try to his name at provincial level (scored back in 2018) in a game where we need to rack up a massive score to have even the remotest chance of remaining in the hunt for the championship?

Who would you suggest in his place?

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭wittycynic

aloooof wrote: »
    Who would you suggest in his place?

Keenan doesn't show any indication of being a try scorer, so wing is an odd place to put him.

In my opinion he either starts at fullback or he doesn't start.

And even then I'd have Daly, and maybe even Henshaw, ahead of him at full back for this game, both of whom offer more of a scoring threat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭UAEguy2020

wittycynic wrote: »

Milner Skudder only had 4 tries in SR before playing for ABs and then scored 3 tries in his first 2 test matches

Obviously a big player to compare but some players take to test rugby and some don’t.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement