Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XI: Team of nervoUS MOD warning Post 1

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

dor843088 wrote: »
    Yea it's a bit like saying you can only be a talented rugby player if you go to a private school. So let's put 99% of our focus , resources and coaching there.

Absolutely nobody is saying that.
    I'm not saying you cant be tough if your not working class ,there are outliers of course. I understand the makeup of the posters on this forum would find it a harsh truth.

In keeping with the week that's in it.... what exactly is your evidence for the makeup of the posters on this forum?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭ElisaAtWar

Nobody wants the unwashed playing for Ireland. One must have standards.

It would seem you are correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭dor843088

salmocab wrote: »
    But nobody claimed you can only be a talented rugby player if you went to a private school because that would be a stupid thing to say. I’d say you’d also be surprised at how few of the posters here went to private school.

Looking for enforcers in rugby terms in the likes of D4 is a bit like looking for the next toaiseach in tallaght. That's why we have lads calling James Ryan the most aggressive irish player ever. That's why we get a Ringrose instead of a Tuilagi a Ryan instead of an Itoje .

• Registered Users Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Some Yoke wrote: »
    Saffers more likely to be from a farming tradition than an accounting tradion maybe?!! Don't know

True but for e.g. didn't Stander's family buy 100 tickets to bring present and former workers on their family farm to the game Munster played in George? Might give you an idea of the size of these farming operations.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,357 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Looking for enforcers in rugby terms in the likes of D4 is a bit like looking for the next toaiseach in tallaght. That's why we have lads calling James Ryan the most aggressive irish player ever. That's why we get a Ringrose instead of a Tuilagi a Ryan instead of an Itoje .

Utter bollox

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Dog Botherer

492e225435b58e565349e4fc90.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

Lots of Columbo on the boards tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,557 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

James Ryan is anything but soft! Lol. He is probably out next captain.could become our greatest lock forward!

Lots of Columbo on the boards tonight.

you’d need him to decipher some of these posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭Some Yoke

We need a rugby equivalent of Suarez, who learned their rugby on the streets of ballsbridge and isn't afraid to bite a competitor

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭phily2002

Think you missed this post by Squidgy Black above. Proves your talking nonsense

• Registered Users Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭theVersatile

Jesus lads why did ye have to entertain him...?

phily2002 wrote: »
    Think you missed this post by Squidgy Black above. Proves your talking nonsense

Itoje is from a working class background. Parents were Nigerian immigrants who ran a butcher shop. He went to school on a scholarship. Again proving my point. Thanks for allowing me to clear that up. That's probably the perfect combination actually , a tough kid well coached. Makes perfect sense.

• Administrators Posts: 53,796 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

that’s enough nonsense about how where someone is from determines how hard they play rugby.

Drop it and move on, any more posts on the subject will be carded.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭Skyfloater

Err, you do know Itoje went to Eton, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Skyfloater wrote: »
    Err, you do know Itoje went to Eton, right?
    It wasnt eton it was harrow and it was only via scholarship

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭UAEguy2020

Leinster have a great factory when it comes to developing players but I’m pretty sure turning Ringrose into a Pacific Islander is stretching their resources a little.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭kingofthekong

UAEguy2020 wrote: »
    Leinster have a great factory when it comes to developing players but I’m pretty sure turning Ringrose into a Pacific Islander is stretching their resources a little.

If only he didn’t go to Blackrock he’d be 110kgs and Samoan

Alright lads theres obviously no room for differing opinions here. Funny thing is no one has put up a defense just childish replies. The last thing I will say is if Tuilagi and Itoje had ended up in Ireland instead of England neither of them would have made it as pro rugby players never mind lions. Tuilagi would have been thrown out of the game 10 times over for being a thug and Itoje would never have gotten into a school where he recieved the coaching that helped him become the player he is. Owen Farrell probably would have met similar fate and been pushed out. We dont encourage these type of players here. In my opinion.

no one is obligated to take ludicrous opinions seriously. get better ones.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭Niallof9

I went to the same school as Sexton, he was the year behind. He's as tough as nails right back to 5th year. Drico was as well. Probably two of the hardest pound for pound players we have produced. Obviously if rugby had broader appeal we'd get more diversity etc. Flannery talked about this last year in Limerick and getting more joined up thinking between schools and clubs there.

I think the argument should be is it good that one school, St Michael's, are producing a good chunk of pro players. why and how can this be replicated? personally i think its actually a weakness. Fair play to them and the players coming out are already pro and will be outstanding.

In the near future the Irish team could have 8 or 9 Michael's lads. We need to tap into what is happening. Traditionally its been a broad mix among the 7 or 8 schools.

There is an argument for Irish rugby to really accelerate into getting more people playing the game. This is why the AIL is so vital still and any further weakening of it will wreck the game here. I think we're nowhere where we need to be in this regard.

I live in North inner city Dublin and i'd love one day for rugby to make more of a mark. Personally i looked into setting up a rugby club somewhere in the region, having spoke to Nial Ring and Dublin City council.

no one is obligated to take ludicrous opinions seriously. get better ones.

https://www.rte.ie/sport/six-nations/2020/0124/1110734-brian-odriscoll-ireland-dog-gone/

Maybe drico sharing my opinion makes his opinion as ludicrous as mine ? He also says thrres no aggression in the 2nd row which is quite funny given what's been said here .

https://www.rte.ie/sport/six-nations/2020/0124/1110734-brian-odriscoll-ireland-dog-gone/

Maybe drico sharing my opinion makes his opinion as ludicrous as mine ? He also says thrres no aggression in the 2nd row which is quite funny given what's been said here .

I think i know a little more than BOD about rugby, thank you very much.

Well could certainly do with a bit more of the Itoje spirit being shown.

Itoje has been chewing up and spitting out Irish teams for the last 18 months

• Registered Users Posts: 8,557 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Itoje is fantastic but, is he not flaunting the offside line constantly? Appears to be an invisible offender. There's no doubt he's the best 4 in the Northern hemisphere. But, he does benefit from being a member of a brilliant pack. All through the England pack There's top quality. Man for man they probably are the world's best.
    Comparing His journey to pro rugby whilst knocking the Irish locks is nuts. He went to private schools just like our lads.
    I think James Ryan would be a shoe in for the English 23. Itoje is the only lock they have that's better , imo.
    Put Ryan into that pack and we would be saying how he is the best!

Itoje has definitely taken a few plays from the McCaw playbook but isn't that essentially made McCaw so good over his rugby career also - on the margin of the rules but very effective - both in play and at annoying/unsettling the opposition.

Ryan has shown some aggression but could up it a bit more.

Not going to get involved in this dor843088 class-system squabble - yes Itoje came through the same system pretty much.

Notwithstanding that, that's how the majority of the team still come through in Ireland, obviously. That's where the academies recruit from mostly. Harder to get noticed outside "the schools".

Where does he reference socio-economic background being the issue?

Iv been told by the mods to put a lid on the subject so I will . And for the record I think the schools produce great players and it works to a great extent. I just think we are lacking in a particular type of player or 2 or 3 and they aren't being produced in the current system. I hope I'm wrong though because nothing winds me up more than seeing Ireland being bullied. Let alone by England.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭kingofthekong

We may have lost the championship but at least this will remain on the internet for eternity, worth it : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16TrXH74bd8

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭typhoony

i'm not sure the modern game needs enforcers any more, but you do need tough fearless players, regardless of background or school they went to some players are just born with it in their DNA. thankfully picking thugs for games are long gone, the most epic being the Battle of the Gnoll between South Africa and Neath

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement