Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XI: Team of nervoUS MOD warning Post 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Sexton and Henshaw are out. Billy Burns failed his HIA and will follow the Return to Play Protocols. Henderson is back though.

https://twitter.com/IrishRugby/status/1328271265426239488?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

Clegg wrote: »
    Sexton and Henshaw are out. Billy Burns failed his HIA and will follow the Return to Play Protocols. Henderson is back though.

Makes selection a bit more straight forward this week.

Byrne to 10, Aki to 12, Farrell to 13.

I noticed Burns defending outside both centres when he came on on Friday.

Sexton and Byrne always defend the 10 channel.

I wonder were they trying to protect him. His defence is probably the poorest of the options at 10 we currently have available

• Registered Users Posts: 11,783 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Clegg wrote: »

Is Byrne next in line for outhalf? Guess someone else might get called up if Burns doesn't pass the RTPP

• Registered Users Posts: 11,562 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Eod100 wrote: »
    Is Byrne next in line for outhalf? Guess someone else might get called up if Burns doesn't pass the RTPP

Carty had a stinker on Saturday.

I wonder if they will use Murray as backup if Burns doesn't come through the RTPP

Aki Farrell in midfield

• Registered Users Posts: 1,734 ✭✭✭CMcsporty

Yes. He was on bench for France game.
    Carty should get called back.

No harm that Sexton is ruled out. I hope we don't see him in this tournament again.
    Silver lining for Farrell.
    Time waits for no man and time has caught up with Sexton.

Ross Byrne and Carty all need starting opportunities.
    Give Harry 20min v Georgia

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,229 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Harry Byrne, the dark horse

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

I've no issue with Aki and Farrell starting this one. It's probably our most physical partnership although it's disappointing for Henshaw given how well he has been playing in the last few weeks overall. He's too bloody injury prone.

It would be something of a no brainer for Ross Byrne to start this one. He's not someone who can come in and change a game significantly but he's a steady player and a solid defender. He probably won't reach test level performances consistently but he's the best of what we have on offer right now. Burns to occupy the 22 jersey if he's available, otherwise it's Carty who isn't really lighting things up for Connacht.

Henderson being back is a boost. It takes pressure off Ryan in several areas and also potentially allows Farrell select his back row without having to accommodate a weakened second row.

I would imagine the team largely picks itself now with the potential exception of hooker, scrum half and one spot in the back three which depends on how Stockdale comes through this week. It looks to me like he's not going to be available if he's not back training for another few days.

Will Addison must be furious. There are several routes to him being the fullback at the moment. If he wasn't given a go after Larmour's injury, he would have gotten a go after Stockdale's poor performances. Hugo Keenan is very lucky to get the opportunity he has been given.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Carty had a bit of a howler playing into a very strong breeze in the first half on Saturday but there was definitely improvement in the second half, fingers crossed it was just cobwebs considering he was fresh back into the Connacht setup and hadn't played in about a month.

There's also the possibility that being dropped from the Ireland squad knocked his confidence but his mental toughness is a lot better than it was a few years back so hopefully it's not the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

Bazzo wrote: »
    Carty had a bit of a howler playing into a very strong breeze in the first half on Saturday but there was definitely improvement in the second half, fingers crossed it was just cobwebs considering he was fresh back into the Connacht setup and hadn't played in about a month.

There's also the possibility that being dropped from the Ireland squad knocked his confidence but his mental toughness is a lot better than it was a few years back so hopefully it's not the case.

I'd expect him to bounce back from that if he gets the 22 I wouldn't worry too much. He has that ability to change the game and gives a great attacking threat. Burns should be fit but who knows.

• Advertisement

Will Addison must be furious. There are several routes to him being the fullback at the moment. If he wasn't given a go after Larmour's injury, he would have gotten a go after Stockdale's poor performances. Hugo Keenan is very lucky to get the opportunity he has been given.

I feel for Will Addison because I rate him. I think he has a lovely all around game.

And I think that's a bit unfair on Keenan. Everyone on that team is lucky to get the opportunity they've been given. It's international rugby. When a chance presents itself, you need to grab it. But no one is there by accident or chance

• Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

I don't know if Addison will ever establish himself as a test player. He seems to have entered the Luke Fitz territory of always being injured at the worst possible moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,768 ✭✭✭P.Walnuts

Are we assuming Doris stays at 8 and CJ goes to 6?

P.Walnuts wrote: »

I think there's a strong argument for it. CJ is an excellent 6 I feel and Doris did very well against Wales (even if his motm was a bit generous)

I feel for Will Addison because I rate him. I think he has a lovely all around game.

And I think that's a bit unfair on Keenan. Everyone on that team is lucky to get the opportunity they've been given. It's international rugby. When a chance presents itself, you need to grab it. But no one is there by accident or chance

Oh i meant no slight against Keenan. He was just a long way down the pecking order (and probably not even on the radar) when the sic nations started back in Feb. He got the opportunity to play in the six nations due to an extraordinary set of circumstances including COVID, a series of injuries, and his excellent form for Leinster.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Utah_Saint

With Ringrose and Henshaw out, if McCloskey cannot make the Ireland bench then he just needs to call time on his Ireland aspirations and focus on Ulster.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

Utah_Saint wrote: »
    With Ringrose and Henshaw out, if McCloskey cannot make the Ireland bench then he just needs to call time on his Ireland aspirations and focus on Ulster.

The issue with McCloskey is that he only covers inside centre, which makes him a poor bench option. I agree broadly on his aspirations, but it would take someone with an iron will to say no to international team selectors.

I don't think it's possible to assume anything with the backrow.

I think the second row is highly likely to be Ryan and Henderson.

I think Healy and Porter are nailed on - hooker still has a question mark.

Can't see beyond Aki Farrell in mid field. Lowe the other guaranteed in the back three.

No guarantees at 9 or 10. No guarantees at fullback or the other wing spot. Won't be going into this game with much continuity to be honest.

My best guess:

Healy
    Kelleher
    Porter
    Henderson
    Ryan
    Doris
    Connors
    Stander
    Murray
    Byrne
    Conway
    Aki
    Farrell
    Lowe
    Keenan

Heffernan
    Byrne
    Bealham
    Roux
    POM
    JGP
    Burns
    Earls

Stander and Doris might switch places, Doris is more of a playmaker and more suited to 8 but hard to know.

I think there was caution with Burns at the weekend with the expectation that Sexton wouldn't be available for England. I know Farrell intimated that Murray could play 10 but I think he was just throwing speculation - I see no possibility of it personally. I think Byrne is the better game manager and I suspect Burns is viewed more for impact but I'm only going on my own perception of both players strengths.

Really any of the three hookers in contention could start and I suspect set piece over loose contribution will be the deciding factor.

We're looking a bit rag tag and the more I reflect honestly about the upcoming fixture the more I see few avenues to a win. I think it's going to be one of those 'England need an off day - we need to do everything right' for us to win and with England's pack it's a more straight forward affair for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,677 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

I don't think we'll ever see players turn down national call ups in Ireland, simply due to the fact the IRFU are the ones paying their wages. I don't think any player would put themselves in a position where they could hinder their future contract negotiations just because they didn't want to sit on the bench or miss out on the 23. That and the fact they still get paid bonuses for being in the squad.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,802 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Earls covers 11-15...McCloskey covers 12...he won't be on the bench

• Advertisement

I don't think we'll ever see players turn down national call ups in Ireland, simply due to the fact the IRFU are the ones paying their wages. I don't think any player would put themselves in a position where they could hinder their future contract negotiations just because they didn't want to sit on the bench or miss out on the 23. That and the fact they still get paid bonuses for being in the squad.

Didn't McCloskey already turn down a call up in the past or what that rubbish?

Didn't McCloskey already turn down a call up in the past or what that rubbish?

It was rumoured that he chose following Northern Ireland at Euro 2016 rather than accept a late call upnto an Ireland tour, I think its been established since that it was Internet nonsense

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Utah_Saint

bilston wrote: »
    Earls covers 11-15...McCloskey covers 12...he won't be on the bench

has to be very frustrating for him. especially when he always seems to top all the key stats in the Pro14 for his position.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

has to be very frustrating for him. especially when he always seems to top all the key stats in the Pro14 for his position.

That doesnt necessarily translate up to Test level. Havent all the coaches for Ireland taken a look at him multiple times over his career so far? There must be something they see or don't see that had led to him losing out.

It also doesn't help that we have guys who are proven at Test level in his way. Ross Byrne for example doesn't have that. He's another player I dont think can make the transition to Test level, but he doesn't have as much in the way of competition for the spot he's after.

No doubt...and I'd be keen to see him get a shot...if he doesn't get a start against Georgia then I'd be worried.

The thing is he is really waiting on injuries, the other thing he could do is dominate Henshaw and Aki when he plays against them and I don't know if he has ever done that.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

So, assuming both Stockdale & Burns are out this weekend...

Healy Herring Porter
    Henderson Ryan
    Stander Doris Connors

JGP Byrne
    Aki Farrell
    Lowe Keenan Conway

Kelleher, Byrne, Bealham, Roux, Beirne, POM, Murray, Earls

We only have 2 SHs and unless Burns is fit then Murray is covering 10. That puts him on the bench for me. We're really short on backs and a 6-2 split might be the best option for this game anyway.

Burns may well come through his RTP. If so, he starts & the bench is reshuffled to a standard 5-3.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭OneLungDavy

molloyjh wrote: »

Healy Herring Porter
    Henderson Ryan
    Stander Doris Connors

JGP Byrne
    Aki Farrell
    Lowe Keenan Conway

We only have 2 SHs and unless Burns is fit then Murray is covering 10. That puts him on the bench for me. We're really short on backs and a 6-2 split might be the best option for this game anyway.

Burns may well come through his RTP. If so, he starts & the bench is reshuffled to a standard 5-3.
    If Byrne starts you must have JGP starting with him. Having Murray and Byrne gives no gaineline/breaking threat at all.

molloyjh wrote: »

Healy Herring Porter
    Henderson Ryan
    Stander Doris Connors

JGP Byrne
    Aki Farrell
    Lowe Keenan Conway

There's an interview on the42 with Burns...sounds like he should be available.

Personally I'd start Byrne with Burns on the bench and then start Burns against Georgia. Byrne has a bit more international experience and will be keen to banish the memories of the WC warm up match last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,734 ✭✭✭CMcsporty

bilston wrote: »
    No doubt...and I'd be keen to see him get a shot...if he doesn't get a start against Georgia then I'd be worried.

The thing is he is really waiting on injuries, the other thing he could do is dominate Henshaw and Aki when he plays against them and I don't know if he has ever done that.

That's it. He's a good 12 but just not as good as Aki or Henshaw.
    He deserves a game v Georgia but then again Frawley might be worth a look at 12?

• Advertisement

How many minutes we can squeeze out of Healy is important for Saturday.....Byrne facing an English scrum for any prolonged period if time makes me ..... uncomfortable

Tom Court at Twickenham uncomfortable

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement