Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XI: Team of nervoUS MOD warning Post 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,050 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Ed Byrne is well able.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭TRC10

Team I'd like to see Farrell go with.

15-Keenan
    14-Conway
    13-Farrell
    12-Aki
    11-Lowe
    10-Byrne
    9-JGP
    1-Healy
    2-Kelleher
    3-Porter
    4-Henderson
    5-Ryan (c)
    6-Stander
    7-Connors
    8-Doris

16-Herring
    17-Byrne
    18-Bealham
    19-Roux
    20-Beirne
    21-O'Mahony
    22-Murray
    23-Stockdale

• Registered Users Posts: 8,557 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Damn !!! Without Sexton it looks like a long road. I would think we will lose now. But, it gifts an opportunity to someone else. I suppose that there's no better place to stake a claim than Twickers.
    I would go with
    Healy
    Herring
    Porter
    Roux... was good last week
    Ryan
    POM... was excellent last week
    Connors.... a real challenge for a new lad.
    Stander
    JGP... speed
    RB .... a real chance to prove himself
    Lowe
    Aki
    Farrell
    Conway
    Keenan

Byrne
    Kelleher
    Bealham
    Henderson... hasn't played in a month.
    Doris
    Murray
    Burns
    Earls

The bench is probably undercooked. Especially at the props. Henderson has not played for a month, so bench for me. Connors gets a crack and we'll see what he can do.
    Losing Henshaw doesn't really affect us as Aki is available. They're level imo.
    I hope the plan involves getting Conway and Lowe involved. They're the 2 best wings we have and can turn the defense upside down.
    This is a great chance for Keenan. He is capable and a solid performance would relieve a lot of pressure on AF.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,229 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Ed Byrne is well able.

Yeah but it's a long way from how confident you'd be if Kilcoyne and Healy were doing 60:20 (in whatever order).

For that matter Furlong and Porter would be a lot stronger too.

I really hope Porter is gaining a lot of experience form this stint as the resident no.3. Becoming a great prop takes years but this must be excellent experience for him particularly as he's being bested in some instances like Sarries and probably again by England.

I'm aware that I'm a fan and I don't always notice when the team I support, cheats. But I don't see the Irish front row drive at an angle as often as i see the opposition do it. France's loosehead was driving at a 45 degrees on Porter at one point and they won penalties on account of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Yeah but it's a long way from how confident you'd be if Kilcoyne and Healy were doing 60:20 (in whatever order).

I really hope Porter is gaining a lot of experience form this stint as the resident no.3. Becoming a great prop takes years but this must be excellent experience for him particularly as he's being bested in some instances like Sarries and probably again by England.

I'm aware that I'm a fan and I don't always notice when the team I support, cheats. But I don't see the Irish front row drive at an angle as often as i see the opposition do it. France's loosehead was driving at a 45 degrees on Porter at one point and they won penalties on account of it.

If you were to analyse each scrum there's infringements all over the place on both sides, up to the ref to decide how material they are.

Half the battle in being an effective scrummager is playing to the ref.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,802 ✭✭✭✭bilston

CMcsporty wrote: »
    That's it. He's a good 12 but just not as good as Aki or Henshaw.
    He deserves a game v Georgia but then again Frawley might be worth a look at 12?

I dont think Frawley merits a look over McCloskey

bilston wrote: »
    I dont think Frawley merits a look over McCloskey

But if McCloskey is too limited in his ability to play other positions so you're not going to pick him, then why not train up the next guy who is able to play more than one position?

Is McCloskey not able to play 13? Considering how often 12s and 13s switch between plays, i always assumed they would at least understand the other position,

As it goes, i don't think Frawley is proven yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭kingofthekong

TRC10 wrote: »
    Team I'd like to see Farrell go with.

15-Keenan
    14-Conway
    13-Farrell
    12-Aki
    11-Lowe
    10-Byrne
    9-JGP
    1-Healy
    2-Kelleher
    3-Porter
    4-Henderson
    5-Ryan (c)
    6-Stander
    7-Connors
    8-Doris

16-Herring
    17-Byrne
    18-Bealham
    19-Roux
    20-Beirne
    21-O'Mahony
    22-Murray
    23-Stockdale

If Stockdale is fit he starts , Conway very lucky to maintain his place , he was driven into touch twice back to back and lost Ireland possession in the red zone...as an international winger that’s just not good enough I’d be fine with Earls replacing Conway . Everything else is exactly as I would pick it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

I don't think I've ever seen McCloskey play thirteen.

I'd have Hume ahead of Frawley at centre (where Hume plays both 12 and 13), and Frawley's not nearly experienced enough a ten for that to factor. But, like Addison, Baloucoune and Curtis, Hume is injured.

I'd have Hume ahead of Frawley at centre (where Hume plays both 12 and 13), and Frawley's not nearly experienced enough a ten for that to factor. But, like Addison, Baloucoune and Curtis, Hume is injured.

I thought Hume was great since lockdown and I’d agree he ought to be ahead of Frawley. Pity about the injury.

• Advertisement

What's Hume's injury?

What's Hume's injury?

Dunno - thought I read somewhere online that he was out with injury? I know Stewart Moore is highly rated, but this is his sixth game on the trot (at 12 or 13) - I'd imagine that's to do with Addison/Curtis being injured and MCloskey in Ireland camp. I think if Hume was fit he'd be in instead of Moore.

Sorry - for the Ulster thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭VayNiice

I'd be equally worried if it was Kilcoyne on the bench. He has a lot to his game but he's an average scrummager at times. Particularly against a tight five like England I'd be worried.

Bealham and Byrne are both capable scrummagers but England is just a different beast altogether. I think I'll be covering my eyes at scrum time as the match goes on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭theVersatile

Any chance of Shane Daly getting the 23 Jersey? Covers 13 and the back three (not sure if he's played 12) so could be a good option - maybe England isn't the best time though.

Any chance of Shane Daly getting the 23 Jersey? Covers 13 and the back three (not sure if he's played 12) so could be a good option - maybe England isn't the best time though.

Yeah I hope he gets a run during the international window - he's really impressed this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,768 ✭✭✭P.Walnuts

VayNiice wrote: »
    I'd be equally worried if it was Kilcoyne on the bench. He has a lot to his game but he's an average scrummager at times. Particularly against a tight five like England I'd be worried.

Bealham and Byrne are both capable scrummagers but England is just a different beast altogether. I think I'll be covering my eyes at scrum time as the match goes on

Kilcoyne is comfortably a better scrummager than Ed Byrne

Dan Leavy is looking pretty good this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Dan Leavy is looking pretty good this evening.

So does Jimmy O'Brien. Similar player to Keenan in that he makes very few mistakes. Might be another player for Farrell to look at.

Mike Lowry was excellent AGAIN for Ulster tonight...I really think he needs to be part of the conversation in the full back discussion. Great going forward and positionally excellent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭OneLungDavy

P.Walnuts wrote: »
    Kilcoyne is comfortably a better scrummager than Ed Byrne
    I find it hard to believe that Ed Byrne is the third best LH in Ireland at the moment. How did this happen?

I find it hard to believe that Ed Byrne is the third best LH in Ireland at the moment. How did this happen?

Eric O'Sullivan's Patented Invisibility Cloak.

Eric O'Sullivan's Patented Invisibility Cloak.

That white jersey seems to have that effect to be fair

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Has he tried telling people he's from Dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,677 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Buer wrote: »
    Has he tried telling people he's from Dublin?

Dunno, in a white jersey that seems to have an even worse effect, just look at what happened to Jack McGrath and Jordi Murphy

That white jersey seems to have that effect to be fair

What player from Ulster deserves to be involved with Ireland that isnt?

Coetzee has already been capped by SA unfortunately

• Registered Users Posts: 4,768 ✭✭✭P.Walnuts

Well as is blatantly obvious, EOS is better than Ed Byrne

There are a few that could easily be in the extended squad.

Ulster, who reached the Pro 14 final, reached the Heienken Cup Quarter Finals and have gone 6 from 6 (inc. 4 BP by half time) had fewer international call ups than ANY other side in the Pro 14

Fewer than the Dragons!

As for personnel...

Eric O'Sullivan
    Marty Moore
    Sean Reidy
    John Cooney
    James Hume
    Michael Lowry

Moore and Cooney are very unlucky to not be in the squad right now.

They could all easily be part of the extended squad. I mean if people here are seriously talking up Jimmy O'Brien and Ciaran Frawley then those guys should be considered as well.

P.Walnuts wrote: »
    Well as is blatantly obvious, EOS is better than Ed Byrne

Potentially a case for EOS but its not that clear cut

There isnt really a huge portion of Ulster players being hard done by in selection that causes all this bollocks about bias in Ireland selection

• Advertisement

There are a few that could easily be in the extended squad.

Ulster, who reached the Pro 14 final, reached the Heienken Cup Quarter Finals and have gone 6 from 6 (inc. 4 BP by half time) had fewer international call ups than ANY other side in the Pro 14

Fewer than the Dragons!

As for personnel...

Eric O'Sullivan
    Marty Moore
    Sean Reidy
    John Cooney
    James Hume
    Michael Lowry

Moore and Cooney are very unlucky to not be in the squad right now.

They could all easily be part of the extended squad. I mean if people here are seriously talking up Jimmy O'Brien and Ciaran Frawley then those guys should be considered as well.

Which players should they be replacing in the squad?,

Otherwise you havent made any point unless you can isolate the exact player that should lose their place to their ulster counter part

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement