Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XI: Team of nervoUS MOD warning Post 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Dog Botherer

whens the last time he's done that for Ireland? 2017?

don’t know but the next time will be tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 1,734 ✭✭✭CMcsporty

don’t know but the next time will be tomorrow

He’ll be blitzed tomorrow unfortunately

Well he's lucky that Tuilagi is not on the pitch to knock him out of his boots

• Registered Users Posts: 4,840 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

CMcsporty wrote: »
    He’ll be blitzed tomorrow unfortunately

it is a bizarre selection when you consider what England did to him alright.
    .....maybe it was a case of last man standing
    you couldnt give a debut to Daly at FB. They would exploit Stockdale even at 11. Your left with Earls. Thats it!

it is a bizarre selection when you consider what England did to him alright.
    .....maybe it was a case of last man standing
    you couldnt give a debut to Daly at FB. They would exploit Stockdale even at 11. Your left with Earls. Thats it!

Sure what about Conway?
    I’d even start Daly at 14!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,840 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

Forgot about Conway!
    Its a weird selection so!

Best player in training!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Dog Botherer

gonna have egg on yer faces tomorrow lads when speedy boy gets a hat trick and shags Itoje’s missus

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

11. This is a massive game for Keith Earls. He's just turned 33 and at that age and with others pushing for spots he's going to need to perform to justify keeping him in the side. He's very unlikely to be at the next RWC so his selection is very much a 'win now' call.

I’ll throw in a 12, which I think is a massive factor; how do we combat England’s line speed, which has smothered us so much of late.

We’ll need to show a varied kicking game to keep them honest. Quicker service from JGP, and some passing / offloading to get it beyond the edge might help too.

Definitely need to kick allot more. Clever kicks though. Unfortunately Aki and Farrell kick game is nowhere near the quality of Slade or Daly
    Would like to see Lowe been utilised off first and second phase for both carries and kicking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 Miriam Gonzalez Durantez

England use a shooter in the 10 channel in defence usually Farrell much like Drico used to do for us at 13. That leaves players lagging behind usually a backrow or 9 and the chip over the top isn’t an option. I think Ross Byrne is in for a torrid day at the office tomorrow and will have to resort to shovelling sh1t sideways all day such is the pressure England bring down the 10 channel. Hopefully Gibson Park releases some of that pressure.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭OneLungDavy

How do you not know they targeted him?!

If you remember the game you should remember he had to get taken off injured.
    Without question England targeted him.

Farrell kicks it directly to Earls from kick off
    Then the misread which lead to Mays try in the 2nd min
    Then the box kick over his head into the 22 when he didn’t drop back for Kearney
    Followed by Farrell dropping a garryowen on him which was won by May
    Then the next restart down his wing
    Then another box kick on to Earls where he was flattened by Curry.

That’s just the first 15 mins

Then another box kick direct to Earls where he was flattened by Itoje

I could go on if you need more evidence?

He was taken off because he was nearly knocked-out by Itoje.

"Followed by Farrell dropping a garryowen on him which was won by May" Earls won possession back.

England kick, a lot, they target the back 3 no matter who plays. Box kicks on the wing target the winger and full back by default.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Murray Kinsella made a good point on England during his podcast today. They've a fearsome pack, but most of the damage they've inflicted on Ireland in recent fixtures has been through their kicking. Used the grubber that Sexton failed to recover which lead to an England try and the torrid time they gave Henshaw in covering the backfield at 15 as his examples.

If you look at their backline selected for tomorrow it's full of players who are very capable tactical kickers. Farrell, Daly, Joseph and Slade are very good at putting through little chips and grubbers which destabilises the opposition defence and forces them to retreat. You don't know where the kick is coming from and it puts you under huge pressure.

On our side we have only Ross Byrne. Our centres are bosh merchants and offloaders and our back three aren't noted for their tactical kicking. Of our outside backs only Ringrose is an accomplished kicker and he's not available. It's why I'm such a fan of him in particular. He has a skillset which our other centres don't have and he also takes some playmaking duties off our 10.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Richie_Rich89

Clegg wrote: »
    Murray Kinsella made a good point on England during his podcast today. They've a fearsome pack, but most of the damage they've inflicted on Ireland in recent fixtures has been through their kicking. Used the grubber that Sexton failed to recover which lead to an England try and the torrid time they gave Henshaw in covering the backfield at 15 as his examples.

If you look at their backline selected for tomorrow it's full of players who are very capable tactical kickers. Farrell, Daly, Joseph and Slade are very good at putting through little chips and grubbers which destabilises the opposition defence and forces them to retreat. You don't know where the kick is coming from and it puts you under huge pressure.

On our side we have only Ross Byrne. Our centres are both merchants and offloaders and our back three aren't noted for their tactical kicking. Of our outside backs only Ringrose is an accomplished kicker and he's not available. It's why I'm such a fan of him in particular. He has a skillset which our other centres don't have and he also takes some playmaking duties off our 10.

Jimmy O'Brien's attacking kicking game looks good. If he remains in the Leinster XXIII once the internationals filter back in then he could start pushing for an Ireland place. Will he do that at Leinster? He's a far more natural fullback than Larmour, for me, and he could push Keenan on to the right wing.

I think the Ringrose as playmaker line is a bit of a myth, to be honest. He's filled in at first receiver sometimes but, while he's a good passer technically, I don't think he really has the understanding to time or delay passes to put people into gaps.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,562 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

molloyjh wrote: »
    So that people can only play in the country of their birth or where they have ancestry? What about people who move to a country as kids and come through the system in that country? Many Tuilagi for example was born in Samoa and has no English ancestry (to my knowledge at least) but he moved to England and came through their set up. He qualified on residency grounds. So how do you account for those cases? Do you say that anyone who started professional rugby in other countries are excluded?

So make it that a certain amount of school years had to be spent living in a country etc.

Vunipolas, Faletau etc. That's not an issue.

Roux
    Stander
    JGP
    Aki
    Lowe

For an Ireland team to have 5 of 15 starters based on residency IMO is embarrassing really

Good players, decent guys. Nothing against them but it's hopefully going to be the last of them really

• Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Jimmy O'Brien's attacking kicking game looks good. If he remains in the Leinster XXIII once the internationals filter back in then he could start pushing for an Ireland place. Will he do that at Leinster? He's a far more natural fullback than Larmour, for me, and he could push Keenan on to the right wing.

I think the Ringrose as playmaker line is a bit of a myth, to be honest. He's filled in at first receiver sometimes but, while he's a good passer technically, I don't think he really has the understanding to time or delay passes to put people into gaps.
    Playmaking doesn't necessarily have to be about passing. I agree with you that Ringrose has the technical ability to be an excellent passing option, but his decision making sometimes lets him down.

It's his kicking game that really stands out though. He's excellent at delaying the kick until the last moment. He goads the defence to eventually commit where upon he puts in a kick to the back field that exposes them. It's something I hope Leinster and Ireland use more often going forward as it's an extremely effective weapon.

He was taken off because he was nearly knocked-out by Itoje.

"Followed by Farrell dropping a garryowen on him which was won by May" Earls won possession back.

England kick, a lot, they target the back 3 no matter who plays. Box kicks on the wing target the winger and full back by default.

You must have watched the game back there...did you? Fair play if you did.
    & If you say Earls won that ball against May...fair enough but he didn’t beat May to the ball in the air.

I believe you are grasping at straws if you think England didn’t target Earls.
    Their box kicks weren’t by field position default. It’s where they chose to attack.

Nothing kicked to Stockdale in that opening 15 mins
    And I don’t recall any fielding of kicks he had to do in that opening half.
    England under Jones are very prescriptive.

Definitely need to kick allot more. Clever kicks though. Unfortunately Aki and Farrell kick game is nowhere near the quality of Slade or Daly
    Would like to see Lowe been utilised off first and second phase for both carries and kicking.

Agreed, tbh. Aki had a pretty average (at best) kick against France, that (if I remember correctly) they scored a try off transition. Farrell, I don't know that I've ever seen him kick, tbh. Henshaw seemed to be mixing in some elements. He's put in some good clearance kicks in the past. He also had that nice grubber for the Ringrose try against Munster, so I feel he may be a bit of a loss.

Aki and Farrell will need to be consistently getting over the gainline to make up for the deficit in kicking abilities between the teams, I feel.

Similarly, JGP's box kicking is one of the poorer aspects of his game (he had 2-3 that drifted heavily in-field against Wales). He brings a lot in terms of urgency and sniping ability tho.

To me, all of the above suggests an awful lot of the responsibility around our kicking game is going to fall to Ross Byrne. Really hope he puts in a performance.

Hilarious!
    Trimble, Bowe all done by the time they were 33
    Earls is no different

The one thing I'll say about Earls is that if James Lowe makes a line break and offload, Earls is the player in the squad I'd expect could capitalise on it most.

He does need a big game tho, as thomond mentioned, it's very much a selection for the here and now.

aloooof wrote: »
    Agreed, tbh. Aki had a pretty average (at best) kick against France, that (if I remember correctly) they scored a try off transition. Farrell, I don't know that I've ever seen him kick, tbh. Henshaw seemed to be mixing in some elements. He's put in some good clearance kicks in the past. He also had that nice grubber for the Ringrose try against Munster, so I feel he may be a bit of a loss.

Aki and Farrell will need to be consistently getting over the gainline to make up for the deficit in kicking abilities between the teams, I feel.

Similarly, JGP's box kicking is one of the poorer aspects of his game (he had 2-3 that drifted heavily in-field against Wales). He brings a lot in terms of urgency and sniping ability tho.

To me, all of the above suggests an awful lot of the responsibility around our kicking game is going to fall to Ross Byrne. Really hope he puts in a performance.

Im actually not worried about Byrne. As in I’ve no concerns about kicking and JGP will give him that extra split second and a threat around ruck.

At least Keenan will get a good examination and hopefully he can be a safe pair of hands. Not sure how good his kicking game is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,227 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

I worry that Earls will have a good game and they’ll make him the starting winger again. He hasn’t played in ages so he’s fresh and he has loads of experience. So there’s a good chance he’ll look good. But he’ll never be able to maintain it if he starts playing regularly again.

He could offer something tomorrow but I hope they don’t consider playing him again next six nations or beyond. Which begs the question why they’re playing him at all? Could he be a good impact sub? He can play centre and can offer experience at the end of the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭the baby bull elephant

I forget which one but it was mentioned in a 42 article that is may have been on purpose. All the ones that drifted infield were on the right hand side and it's something NZ have been doing recently.

I forget which one but it was mentioned in a 42 article that is may have been on purpose. All the ones that drifted infield were on the right hand side and it's something NZ have been doing recently.

Initially, I thought it was a poor kick but it did happen 2-3 times which made me think it could’ve been by design alright. I’d be interested in the article if you have a link?

Murray typically targeted the 5m line for obvious reasons, so it would be a change in tactic.

I worry that Earls will have a good game and they’ll make him the starting winger again.

Ah, if our biggest worry at the end of 2moro evening is that one of our players had a good game, then it’ll have been an exceptionally good day at the office tbh.

• Administrators Posts: 53,796 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Ah, if our biggest worry at the end of 2moro evening is that one of our players had a good game, then it’ll have been an exceptionally good day at the office tbh.

Yes, my main worry is that we're going to get pumped.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 251 ✭✭Paul Weller

awec wrote: »
    Yes, my main worry is that we're going to get pumped.

Anyone else wince at that term ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭the baby bull elephant

Initially, I thought it was a poor kick but it did happen 2-3 times which made me think it could’ve been by design alright. I’d be interested in the article if you have a link?

Murray typically targeted the 5m line for obvious reasons, so it would be a change in tactic.

'Gibson-Park has the potential to cause defences a huge amount of problems' https://the42.ie/5269504

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭TRANQUILLO

Clegg wrote: »

On our side we have only Ross Byrne. Our centres are bosh merchants and offloaders and our back three aren't noted for their tactical kicking. Of our outside backs only Ringrose is an accomplished kicker and he's not available. It's why I'm such a fan of him in particular. He has a skillset which our other centres don't have and he also takes some playmaking duties off our 10.

He's a cheerleading sycophant. Dont mind him.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭TRANQUILLO

UAEguy2020 wrote: »
    Because its up there with the Zebo chat (dont anyone dare open that can of worms!) for being done to death. We get it a conclusion has been reached and unless you have something valid to bring to the table that hasnt already been said my advice would be to park it.

I wouldn't imagine you've encountered much Zebo talk in 200 odd posts.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 472 ✭✭Kraftwerk

There's a lot of negativity about Byrne on social media. He's a very capable player and Sexton isn't always firing on all cylinders himself. JGP is bringing a new dynamic to the team too that Byrne is used to at Leinster so I don't think he'll be at sea.

I think the pack will hold its own too. Scrum may go against us as Jones will be in the refs ear pre game and England will be at the shenanigans while the ref scrutinizes Ireland. But hopefully it won't be a Wales level disaster.

I'd be more worried about the back 3. Earls excels against weaker opposition but he often falls short in the bigger games and Keenan and Lowe are new to the scene. England could do a serious amount of damage if the back 3 are anyway shakey.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement