Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XI: Team of nervoUS MOD warning Post 1

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 678 ✭✭✭Solutionking

1. Killer
    2. O'Byrne
    3. Ryan
    4. Beirne
    5. Ryan
    6. POM
    7. Leavy
    8. CJ

^^ I want to start see this pack , its the only one in the near future i see beating England

POM has played against England in all the last games and every one of them has been shown up. Yet you want to start him again? why? is the plan to just keep losing. Our backrow combination should have had Conners at 7. POM was put on for lineout which was a disaster.

Beirne is also too light, he would have been eaten alive today. Hendo with Ryan we have to hope becomes the second row

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭VayNiice

1. Killer
    2. O'Byrne
    3. Ryan
    4. Beirne
    5. Ryan
    6. POM
    7. Leavy
    8. CJ

^^ I want to start see this pack , its the only one in the near future i see beating England

Ryan wasn't good enough to get a single minute off the bench when Porter was blowing out his arse at the end of the match. How exactly would he be the TH to lead Ireland to a win?

How many times recently have the munster pack dominated against top Champions Cup teams?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,562 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

VayNiice wrote: »
    Ryan wasn't good enough to get a single minute off the bench when Porter was blowing out his arse at the end of the match. How exactly would he be the TH to lead Ireland to a win?

How many times recently have the munster pack dominated against top Champions Cup teams?

Ryan picked up a strain In warm up

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 108 ✭✭Garda Kenny

Burkie1203 wrote: »

Thought that was Ed Byrne?

Burkie1203 wrote: »

That was Ed Byrne. Ryan wasn't in the 23 before that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭kingofthekong

1. Killer
    2. O'Byrne
    3. Ryan
    4. Beirne
    5. Ryan
    6. POM
    7. Leavy
    8. CJ

Never happening, if Munster smash Leinster in the next interprovincial match then you have a point, till that happens ...nope. Also assume you saw Ryan get munched multiple times by an Ospreys scrum last weekend. And if that should be the pack why haven’t Munster been beating Leinster regularly with those players ?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Pick the guts of the third best pack in Ireland. That'll definitely show England.

Our pack wasn't even the problem today. There was.no lack of effort or commitment there. They made ground and forced England to make mistakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭guapos

That was Ed Byrne. Ryan wasn't in the 23 before that.

It was reported that Ryan picked up a strain in the warm up and thats why porter played full 80

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭kingofthekong

Clegg wrote: »
    Pick the guts of the third best pack in Ireland. That'll definitely show England.

Our pack wasn't even the problem today. There was.no lack of effort or commitment there. They made ground and forced England to make mistakes.
    Do you think the pack got parity today? , what do you think was the biggest area we struggled in ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭UAEguy2020

Our problem today is once again it appears we havent analyzed England as we fall right into their trap with both feet every single time, it was clear with Stockdale’s try where the weakness was and we instead kept running at prick walls. When you are as physical off the line as England are the price you pay is have a very exposed backfield and we took no advantage whatsoever.

Our pack wasn’t really an issue today, conceded afew pens at scrum time but that’s not uncommon for anyone against England.

I do take encouragement from once again our defense standing up to England even turning over two lineout mauls, England having to score a wonder try and off a free play 50/50 to score.

Again it has to be stressed that this is an Irish team in transition against probably the most settled side in the 6N who is hard enough to beat even when we are fully settled never mind in transition and one of the encouraging signs is this is an Irish team with a real backbone that keeps going even when it looks as if we are out of it which going forward will be a huge foundation for any success we might achieve once our attacking play fully evolves,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

guapos wrote: »
    It was reported that Ryan picked up a strain in the warm up and thats why porter played full 80

Where?

Edit: Cian Tracey did report it

https://twitter.com/CianTracey1/status/1330228718044925954?s=09

• Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭TRC10

One interesting thing about today is in the first 5-10 minutes we played very smart and looked to be on top. JGP and Byrne played a smart kicking game which forced errors and put England under pressure. But after May's first try we reverted to doing the same thing we did in 2019 twice and in February, running into brick wall time and time again. Our defense I thought was actually quite good. They got nothing from their mail and their tries were from a cross kick and a breakaway. But when England go through 5 or so phases and are going nowhere, they either kick for space or put up a contest able kick. But when we're getting man handled time and time again we continued to run into the brick wall. I'm a farrell fan but you have to wonder what the game plan was.

TRC10 wrote: »
    One interesting thing about today is in the first 5-10 minutes we played very smart and looked to be on top. JGP and Byrne played a smart kicking game which forced errors and put England under pressure. But after May's first try we reverted to doing the same thing we did in 2019 twice and in February, running into brick wall time and time again. Our defense I thought was actually quite good. They got nothing from their mail and their tries were from a cross kick and a breakaway. But when England go through 5 or so phases and are going nowhere, they either kick for space or put up a contest able kick. But when we're getting man handled time and time again we continued to run into the brick wall. I'm a farrell fan but you have to wonder what the game plan was.

That’s exactly my observation from the game, it is clear how you get around the English defense and we were playing the game just right in that first half and then like you said reverted back to the formula of running into brick walls repeatedly.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,802 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Well the pack was a bit of an issue today when you consider the lineout malfunctioned quite badly.

The other issue was the fact that our backs pass the ball standing still, they need to run onto the ball, but again that may be a result of us not winning the collisions, which again can be partially put down to the pack coming off second best.

That said we did seem to get going more in the second half. I dont know if that was down to personnel change, a change in attitude, or England beginning to tire, but actually we controlled both territory and possession in the second half. England ended up resorting to conceding penalties with impunity, but when you're 18 zip up you can afford to do that, even if Gauzere had had the balls to bin an England player they were still likely to be to far ahead for us to catch them.

The other thing to consider after today is that with the exception of Manu Tuilagi and Anthony Watson, I think I'm right in saying that was England at full strength. We were missing Furlong, Ringrose, Sexton and Leavy. Henderson and Murray would more than likely start a 6Ns match against them as well. So I wouldn't be too disheartened.

As for Andy Farrell, I think its mad that people are concluding he isn't up to the job on the back of a defeat against England at Twickenham. We'll know more about Farrell after the dust has settled on the 2021 Six Nations...for now we are still a work in progress and the man needs time to put his stamp on the squad. I will say this though, life will much more comfortable for him in the lead up to the 6Ns if we win the Scotland/France game in two weeks time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭theVersatile

With regards to the tongue in cheek comment I made of my ideal Irish Pack, I actually believe that a pack like that (obviously replace Ryan with Porter that was pulling the piss - even though Ryan is a strong scrummager) could bring it to England. Why? BREAKDOWN THREAT. England minced us so many times with turnovers - we need to bring something similar. Get my pack, replace Ryan with Porter and maybe KOB with Herring and you have a team with five or six poaching threats.

Also, Hendo didn't exactly make blistering ground when he came on today. I wouldn't classify Beirne as being too weak/light. Can't be too much worse than Hendo was today (or someone equally light like Dillane).

Once again I'd like to point out that POM was Ireland's MOTM yet is still subject to controversy somehow.

With regards to the tongue in cheek comment I made of my ideal Irish Pack, I actually believe that a pack like that (obviously replace Ryan with Porter that was pulling the piss - even though Ryan is a strong scrummager) could bring it to England. Why? BREAKDOWN THREAT. England minced us so many times with turnovers - we need to bring something similar. Get my pack, replace Ryan with Porter and maybe KOB with Herring and you have a team with five or six poaching threats.

Also, Hendo didn't exactly make blistering ground when he came on today. I wouldn't classify Beirne as being too weak/light. Can't be too much worse than Hendo was today (or someone equally light like Dillane).

Once again I'd like to point out that POM was Ireland's MOTM yet is still subject to controversy somehow.

I think you're wrong about Henderson yeaterday...he wasn't on the pitch that long but still made one or two effective gainline carries.

People tried to convince us that Beirne was better than Henderson a couple of years ago when he joined Munster and it was shown that at test level he just wasn't. No reason to think it is any different now.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭OneLungDavy

bilston wrote: »
    Well the pack was a bit of an issue today when you consider the lineout malfunctioned quite badly.

The other issue was the fact that our backs pass the ball standing still, they need to run onto the ball, but again that may be a result of us not winning the collisions, which again can be partially put down to the pack coming off second best.

That said we did seem to get going more in the second half. I dont know if that was down to personnel change, a change in attitude, or England beginning to tire, but actually we controlled both territory and possession in the second half. England ended up resorting to conceding penalties with impunity, but when you're 18 zip up you can afford to do that, even if Gauzere had had the balls to bin an England player they were still likely to be to far ahead for us to catch them.

The other thing to consider after today is that with the exception of Manu Tuilagi and Anthony Watson, I think I'm right in saying that was England at full strength. We were missing Furlong, Ringrose, Sexton and Leavy. Henderson and Murray would more than likely start a 6Ns match against them as well. So I wouldn't be too disheartened.

As for Andy Farrell, I think its mad that people are concluding he isn't up to the job on the back of a defeat against England at Twickenham. We'll know more about Farrell after the dust has settled on the 2021 Six Nations...for now we are still a work in progress and the man needs time to put his stamp on the squad. I will say this though, life will much more comfortable for him in the lead up to the 6Ns if we win the Scotland/France game in two weeks time.

If you're putting in Leavy you can add Carbery too. We started our 3rd choice 10 in Byrne, Burns was our 5th choice 10 coming into the tournament, he's done well and has potentially unsurped Byrne.

I couldn't get over our tactics in that first half. Our attacking shape was there at times but we kept using one-out runners. Did our forwards pass the ball once in the first half?

Are we any closer to figuring out what our first choice back row is? Would it be worth moving Leavy to 6 for the 6N if he's playing well and leave Connors at 7?

Does Ruddock deserve more of a chance as he had always done well for Ireland or has his ship sailed? Conan is another one who warrants another crack.

Could we look down the route of playing a bigger man at 6 like Coombes or Baird in the future?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,433 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Are we any closer to figuring out what our first choice back row is? Would it be worth moving Leavy to 6 for the 6N if he's playing well and leave Connors at 7?

Does Ruddock deserve more of a chance as he had always done well for Ireland or has his ship sailed? Conan is another one who warrants another crack.

Could we look down the route of playing a bigger man at 6 like Coombes or Baird in the future?

Ruddock does deserve more attention, but he'll never get it. Conan also deserves to not be discarded. If you're going to have Stander in the team, then use him in a fashion that makes use of his ability.

If everyone’s fit is personally pick
    Stander/O’Mahony @ 6 Leavy @ 7 Doris @ 8

• Advertisement

I assume we'd have heard if anyone elae was getting called up into the squad for the Georgia match...unless they are waiting until after the Munster match. I'd have thought there may be a need to call up a prop?

Georgia are no mugs...they haven't been humiliated in their two games (much better teams than Georgia have lost by 40 points or more at Twickenham), but clearly offer very little going forward.

I'd like to see Dave Heffernen and Billy Burns both get starts.

Also if Stuart McCloskey doesn't start this game then he might as well be put out of his international misery. A McCloskey/Chris Farrell midfield would be pretty physical.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,582 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

anyone else think that Simon Easterbys position is very much in question ??

hes been in his position as forwards coach for over 6 years now, and while he might point to a lot of established players who have gone in the last few years.. isnt his responsibility to devise a plan based on the players he has to hand, and their strengths and weaknesses?

It seems like we havent tried anything new in regard to forward play for the last 2 years, so its a case of new players fitting the established system, rather than changing the system to suit the players. Im specifically referring to lineout work on both sides of the ball, maul work on both sides and general open play in tight.... have we seen any evidence that ireland can play a tight game around the fringes to make any significant gainline advances?

one way to counter a powerful blitz defense is to have a wind up pick and go system and to constantly attack the fringes with patterns of carries.
    I didnt see any of that against england or france. We ended up having to throw bodies into rucks to counter one or two bollixes and end up leaving us with 10 players up against 13 defenders on their feet. Thus Byrne has to stand deeper to get any width at all on his passes, and we end up with farrell being hit usually behind the gain line. No pic and jam game really at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭theVersatile

I thought Fogarty was the new forwards coach?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Richie_Rich89

Ya, hasn't Easterby switched to being defence coach?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

No. Has he ever been forwards? Elite dev officer then scrum coach with 20s, Leinster.

scrum coach i though

https://extra.ie/2020/11/23/sport/rugby/ireland-england-main-things

according to this from today, easterby still runs the line out and fogarty the scrum.

have we no defined forwards coach?

• Advertisement

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/international/ireland-s-loss-set-up-by-shambolic-lineout-and-england-s-supreme-backrow-1.4415950

according to thornley hes not sure who runs the lineout.....

why is it such a puzzle i wonder?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement