Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XI: Team of nervoUS MOD warning Post 1

Options

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 41,582 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

anyway, apologies to simon if forward work is no longer under his remit... but i guess my point still stands, if not enhanced.
    Our general forward play has been pretty poor for the last 2 years

• Registered Users Posts: 11,355 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

sydthebeat wrote: »
    anyway, apologies to simon if forward work is no longer under his remit... but i guess my point still stands, if not enhanced.
    Our general forward play has been pretty poor for the last 2 years

Well if he’s the lineout coach and not the forwards then he probably still should be worried about his job.

So what about the game against Scotland on December 5th

Sexton will be back and picked I assume as Farrell will want to try to ensure a win?

Scots will fancy their chances.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,840 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

No more call ups?
    Weird

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

That's it?!

With the fourth game (Scotland) to come along with Europe, I'm stunned there hasn't been more additions. It's probably tricky to call up Munster players given they only played and flew back last night but still...

• Registered Users Posts: 20,226 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

No more call ups?
    Weird

I don’t know why anyone thought there would be a raft of call-ups. They tend to call players up for training camps well in advance of ever playing them. They might have called up Harry Byrne as he’s been in camp before but the notion that Craig Casey or Scott Penny would be called up and played, all within 5 days, was a really long shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

That's it?!

With the fourth game (Scotland) to come along with Europe, I'm stunned there hasn't been more additions. It's probably tricky to call up Munster players given they only played and flew back last night but still...

Yeah I dont think any of the Munster lads can be brought in at this stage. So who else could they look at given that the provinces have games this weekend too? Not ideal, but the injury situations at Ireland and provincial level certainly won't be helping.

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/international/ireland-s-loss-set-up-by-shambolic-lineout-and-england-s-supreme-backrow-1.4415950

according to thornley hes not sure who runs the lineout.....

why is it such a puzzle i wonder?

Thats not GT it's the hack who is bloody annoying and id imagine nobody in the irfu wants to give him a straight answer.

It's Easterby who runs the lineout.
    & it is a complete shambles that is not fit for purpose at elite test level

Can we have John Plumtree back?
    He could replace replace the whole ticket as far as im concerned and do a better job

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭KBurke85

No more call ups?
    Weird

Is it though there's over 30 players already in the squad

• Advertisement

So something like:

EOS Heffernan Bealham
    Henderson Roux
    POM Stander VDF

Murray Burns
    McClokey Farrell
    Lowe Stockdale Conway

Kelleher, Healy, Ryan, Dillane, Connors, Marmion, Byrne, Earls

KBurke85 wrote: »
    Is it though there's over 30 players already in the squad

He should have had those "development players" on notice that they will be called back for Georgia game.
    Harry Byrne, Craig Casey & Fineen Wycherley
    Baird was also in the original squad
    Thats 4 at the very least that should be in

id be backing kelleher for the start again here.... and earls to start if were going to have Lowe / Stu / Farrell across the back line.
    The georgian scrum hasnt been anywhere near as ferocious as was touted prior to the comp, so id like to see the dynamism of a dillane / henderson second row.

EOS Kelleher Bealham
    Dillane Henderson
    Connors Stander VDF

Murray Burns
    McCloskey Farrell
    Lowe Stockdale Earls

Heffernan, Healy, Ryan, Roux, POM, Marmion, Byrne, Conway

I think you're better off giving Porter another go at TH. Cian Healy has no business in the 23 and John Ryan can cover LH.

Shane Daly should be getting a start somewhere in the back three, otherwise he'll have gone weeks with no rugby when Munster could have used him. Again, a 33 year old Earls shouldn't be involved in a game like this.

EOS, Heffernan, Porter, Dillane, Henderson, Beirne, Connors, CJ;
    Marmion, Burns, Lowe, McCloskey, Farrell, Stockdale, Daly

Kelleher, Bealham, Ryan, POM, Doris, JGP, Byrne, Conway

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭the baby bull elephant

Unless there's an injury I haven't heard about I'd imagine Beirne will be involved in some capacity.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

• Registered Users Posts: 11,355 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

I think you're better off giving Porter another go at TH. y

Porter is probably the most in need of a rest I’d think.

I’m not sure how this goes, too many games to play the starters yet make a pile of changes and really will learn next to nothing about the guys with barely any caps. I’d say there’ll be a raft of changes plenty of arguments here then a game where we learn nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,734 ✭✭✭CMcsporty

id be backing kelleher for the start again here.... and earls to start if were going to have Lowe / Stu / Farrell across the back line.
    The georgian scrum hasnt been anywhere near as ferocious as was touted prior to the comp, so id like to see the dynamism of a dillane / henderson second row.

EOS Kelleher Bealham
    Dillane Henderson
    Connors Stander VDF

Murray Burns
    McCloskey Farrell
    Lowe Stockdale Earls

Heffernan, Healy, Ryan, Roux, POM, Marmion, Byrne, Conway

I don’t see the benefit of having Murray, Earls and Healy in a team to play Georgia
    Stockdale FB....I just hoped that would have been put out of it’s misery.
    & Then he finished that try beautifully against England!
    Unfortunately his fundamental unsuitable to the defensive requirements don’t appear to be an issue.
    It will be fine for Georgia...just like Italy but bloody hell It’s so naive if they persist.
    Why not bring Lowry in for Georgia?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭Wegians89

Healy heffernan Bealham beirne Henderson pom vdf Conan

Murray burns stockdale henshaw(if fit) Farrell Conway Keenan

Herring EOS Porter Dillane connors Marmion Byrne Daly

CMcsporty wrote: »
    I don’t see the benefit of having Murray, Earls and Healy in a team to play Georgia
    Unfortunately his fundamental unsuitable to the defensive requirements don’t appear to be an issue.
    It will be fine for Georgia...just like Italy but bloody hell It’s so naive if they persist.

Or even play Daly!!
    This would have been my selection.

Lowry; Lowe, Farrell, McCloskey, Stockdale; Byrne, JGP; EO'S, Kelleher, Porter; Baird, Ryan; Wycherly, PO'M, Dorris.

Heffernan, Cronin?, Beahlam, Henderson, CJ, Casey, HByrne, Daly

• Advertisement

I think you're better off giving Porter another go at TH. Cian Healy has no business in the 23 and John Ryan can cover LH.

Shane Daly should be getting a start somewhere in the back three, otherwise he'll have gone weeks with no rugby when Munster could have used him. Again, a 33 year old Earls shouldn't be involved in a game like this.

EOS, Heffernan, Porter, Dillane, Henderson, Beirne, Connors, CJ;
    Marmion, Burns, Lowe, McCloskey, Farrell, Stockdale, Daly

Kelleher, Bealham, Ryan, POM, Doris, JGP, Byrne, Conway

Porter has started every game since the 6Ns restart and just played a full 80 in Twickenham. He will not be in the 23.

Good shout on Beirne though. He might start at 6 instead of POM, but more likely to bench I reckon. We are likely to go with a big TH lock in this one. Georgia offer very little in attack but are apparently no mugs in defence. England put a big score on them with a full strength side. We are not England and we will not be full strength. I think Roux will start with Hendo and then Hendo and Ryan next week.

If Daly starts, I reckon he'll start on the wing. They are not giving up on Stockdale at FB and this is a perfect game to start him in there.

molloyjh wrote: »
    Porter has started every game since the 6Ns restart and just played a full 80 in Twickenham. He will not be in the 23.

Good shout on Beirne though. He might start at 6 instead of POM, but more likely to bench I reckon. We are likely to go with a big TH lock in this one. Georgia offer very little in attack but are apparently no mugs in defence. England put a big score on them with a full strength side. We are not England and we will not be full strength. I think Roux will start with Hendo and then Hendo and Ryan next week.

If Daly starts, I reckon he'll start on the wing. They are not giving up on Stockdale at FB and this is a perfect game to start him in there.

Ah, yes Porter did play 80. Scratch that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,734 ✭✭✭CMcsporty

Or even play Daly!!
    This would have been my selection.

Lowry; Lowe, Farrell, McCloskey, Stockdale; Byrne, JGP; EO'S, Kelleher, Porter; Baird, Ryan; Wycherly, PO'M, Dorris.

Heffernan, Cronin?, Beahlam, Henderson, CJ, Casey, HByrne, Daly

Yes they yet surprise us at FB!
    Surely it will be Daly. If anyone still thinks Stockdale is worth persevering at FB I think they are just been pig headed at this stage.
    A good run back at 11 is exactly what he needs. Georgia is the perfect game for him.
    I would be very interesting to see both him and Lowe on the wings.

Porter will also probably be needed again for Georgia scrum.
    He reminds of Jack McGrath in his pomp in 2016 6N. 80mins v Wales then goes out to Paris 6 days later and plays 70mins+.
    He also started every game that 6N.
    No problem for Porter to go again.

Earls is returning from injury and needs to bed down Farrells systems at test level.
    Healy is simply a case of needs must... didnt know that J Ryan can cover loosehead though.

i wouldnt be averse to marmion starting

Yes they yet surprise us at FB!
    Surely it will be Daly. If anyone still thinks Stockdale is worth persevering at FB I think they are just been pig headed at this stage.
    A good run back at 11 is exactly what he needs. Georgia is the perfect game for him.
    I would be very interesting to see both him and Lowe on the wings.

Porter will also probably be needed again for Georgia scrum.
    He reminds of Jack McGrath in his pomp in 2016 6N. 80mins v Wales then goes out to Paris 6 days later and plays 70mins+.
    He also started every game that 6N.
    No problem for Porter to go again.

Good point on McGrath. God we could do with him back. Will be good to see O'Sullivan
    Porter is a beast! He was still getting around the park in the 75th minute on Sat!
    One of the real success stories over the last few months is how he has performed in the loose and the scrum.
    Still only 24!
    Will definitely be needed for Georgia
    Nariashvili would ate Beahlam!

Lowe-Stockdale would be interesting to see although i dont know if this coaching team has the wit to utilise them properly.
    I think Conway could come back in at 14 and give Daly an opportunity at 15.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭Niallof9

Wow this is poor. well thats that from me, no time for Farrell. Its a no i think. Tarnished by the World Cup and hasn't put any stamp on this setup. Nice guy, good assistant coach but thats it. I think we'll get more the same in the Six Nations and that should be the end of the experiment. We need a proven, experienced head coach that realizes massive changes are needed.

People would be tearing Eddie, Kidney and Joe asunder for not trying the odd wildcard. Its a ****ing freebie just try something else. Utterly daft. We literally have no window now to try different combinations. There's no pressure, no seeding, no crowds, no squad restraints. Fans wouldn't give a **** if we finished bottom. The fact that the development thing wasn't even used is awful. Why look at Baird before but not now, it makes no sense whatsoever much like this coaching group and their philosophy. Its utterly pointless having the big names in camp for this and in a normal Autumn window this wouldn't even be the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,768 ✭✭✭P.Walnuts

Nariashvili would ate Beahlam!

I really really doubt this is true.

Not much of a drop of scrummaging wise from Porter to Bealham at all.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Niallof9 wrote: »
    Fans wouldn't give a **** if we finished bottom.

Given some of the hyperbole we see on here from time to time (and especially around international windows), I sincerely doubt this.

P.Walnuts wrote: »
    I really really doubt this is true.

Not much of a drop of scrummaging wise from Porter to Bealham at all.

Ah Porter has come on a lot.
    In fairness the scrum held up very well v France. And he did ok v Eng
    I dont see Bealham in the same category.
    What do you make of Bealham in the scrum?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭clsmooth

aloooof wrote: »
    Given some of the hyperbole we see on here from time to time (and especially around international windows), I sincerely doubt this.

Proof that misery does indeed love company.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement